Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Yea, these two Swedes next to me draped in Swedish flags were jumping like crazy throughout the WU LYF set this year at Coachella. Its started to get pretty old after a while.

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
    Hecker's album is dark and mysterious. You feel this cloud over your head and the room shrinking. The album is produced very well and has beautiful melodies. This would make an awesome movie soundtrack to a film. In the Fog 1 sounds morbid and pretty emotional for the listener. The piano is what drives this album and the engineering gives it that dark feeling. It is definitely a well thought out album, but I don't hear any significant factors that makes this a stand out record.

My rating: 7
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

Thought that was a pretty positive review until the last line. would you be interested in hearing more music in this genre?
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

for the listener
    614-01268886w.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Thought that was a pretty positive review until the last line. would you be interested in hearing more music in this genre?
    It's a good album, it just needed a little more to get an 8 from me. I'd be interested in hearing more

Prince - Dirty Mind

Radiohead - Amnesiac b-sides
    There are 7 tracks on the b-side all bringing their own unique sound. The Amazing Sounds of Orgy is my personal favorite because of its rhythm and chorus. The second track Trans Atlantic Drawl is the complete opposite as it goes the complete opposite in tempo. It features heavy guitar jams but then transitions into a slow creepy ballad. After that the other songs are interesting but prove to be not good enough for a Radiohead record. I like the use of the bass, but I don't hear the enthusiasm in tracks 3-5. Cuttooth brings back some of that energy, but it's still just an ok track. I'll stick with the studio album.

My rating: 6.25

WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Blur - Parklife
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

Nathan can you also link the google doc in the first post please?
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    It's a good album, it just needed a little more to get an 8 from me. I'd be interested in hearing more
    Stars of the Lid - ... And Their Refinement of the Decline

It's two hours long but well worth it. Listen at night. Essential introductory drone IMO.

Trentemřller - The Last Resort
    An absolutely eloquent and magnificent electronic album that came from Denmark. From the very beginning the album takes me into another galaxy amongst a society far advanced. I feel all kinds of emotions from listening to Take Me Into Your Skin. The track is dark and gives off swoon. Vamp features some very heavy bass and a jazz feeling that completely juxtaposes the first track. Evil Dub then goes back to that futuristic feeling and would be something I want playing if I was suiting up to go on a mission like Batman, James Bond, etc. Then finally there is my favorite song Always Something Better which is just a trip and reminds me of Amon Tobin big time. From there the albums starts to dip a little bit, but still remains strong. The production and effects are well done, and I love the tone of this record. I want to say this is a good record if you're dealing with emotional turmoil.

My rating: 8.5

Tinariwen - Tassili
    The 5th studio album by Tinawirwen who come straight out of Africa. Blues and African culture come together to make this semi-rock record. I can sense the emotion in some of these tracks based off the mood that was given off. However, I honestly thought the record was pretty flat and on the talent level of a street performer which resulted in me getting bored pretty fast. There positives were that Imidiwan Win Sahara was the song I liked the most because it had a catchy rhythm and good use of harmonization. I just found that they weren't always on key together. The songs are pretty but it gets old.

My rating: 4

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Blur - Parklife
    seconded.

Joanna Newsom - YS
    The 2nd studio by Joanna Newsom has been critically acclaimed by many. For me the album was a little too Disneyish. I liked the effect of the full orchestration, especially the use of the harp. Emily was a nice enchantment as were the other 4 songs. Very high production and the instruments balanced great. I felt like I was in a forest throughout the record, and I got that folk medieval vibe. For some reason though I just kept thinking of Disney animated films.

My rating: 7.25

I now understand Bmack's avatar pic. I want some feedback on what I may have missed in YS

Since you didn't enjoy Tinariwen too much, I would suggest Haflat Gharbia: The Western Concerts by Omar Souleyman. Fantastic record from start to finish just like his live shows

I would have suggested to start out with Milk Eyed Mender for Joanna. That's the album I tell people about the most.

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Seems racist to call Tinariwen street performers. Doubt you would have thought that if it were a white band from Seattle.

Baroness - Yellow & Green
    A pretty good stoner rock album by Baroness. It features two disks each composed of 9 tracks. They have great guitar jams and the drumming technique I like. The singer's voice isn't very distinguished, and I swear he kind of sounds like Chad Kroeger of Nickelback. Sea Lungs was a fun song with the very fast rhythm guitar in the background, and highway speed chase feel. Little Things had a spacey guitar solo, so that was another highlight from side 1. I would recommend this to any Queens of the Stone Age fan. The second side was much more relaxed and made up of the ballads. Collapse is a song I like a lot, mostly due to the pace and guitars. Overall it's a pretty great album that has come out this year.

My rating: 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Seems racist to call Tinariwen street performers. Doubt you would have thought that if it were a white band from Seattle.
    You should stop reading this thread.

What? Are you saying racism is acceptable so long as it's in a theklein review? I know it's not a very serious thread but come on.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I think you're reading way too much into "However, I honestly thought the record was pretty flat and on the talent level of a street performer." It falls into theklein25's regular level of description without necessity to offer any context other than his need to describe everything by referencing some other thing.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

It's fine. I don't think Klein is racist, I just felt it was a poor choice and wanted him to be aware of that, more than anything else. Carry on.

I'm curious as to how you made the connection between people from Africa and "street performers," because "racist" is not something that popped into my mind. I feel like he would have said the same thing no matter where they were from. i mean, I don't exactly come across many "straight out of Africa" street performers.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

And to get back on track: I think that record sounds flat too, but I saw Tinariwen live last year and they were ridiculously good. One of the most fun concerts I went to that year.

Well, i mean, he had nothing but good things to say about Baroness and still gave it a 6.5.

Also, this is a fantastic conclusion:
    Overall it's a pretty great album that has come out this year.
    last.fm

Rating must be explained by those Nickleback vocals

Quick listen + wikipedia skim + animals + comparisons + bored at work/school/home + pandering

Trying to be PC bullshit.

I now understand Bmack's avatar pic. I want some feedback on what I may have missed in YS
    The lyrics.

Baroness - Yellow & Green
    A pretty good stoner rock album by Baroness. It features two disks each composed of 9 tracks. They have great guitar jams and the drumming technique I like. The singer's voice isn't very distinguished, and I swear he kind of sounds like Chad Kroeger of Nickelback. Sea Lungs was a fun song with the very fast rhythm guitar in the background, and highway speed chase feel. Little Things had a spacey guitar solo, so that was another highlight from side 1. I would recommend this to any Queens of the Stone Age fan. The second side was much more relaxed and made up of the ballads. Collapse is a song I like a lot, mostly due to the pace and guitars. Overall it's a pretty great album that has come out this year.

My rating: 6.5
    I need to know about the production on this album. Please fill us in.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.