Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Default Re: The Parenting Thread

That certainly sounds interesting. With my 17 month old son Henry, when he starts trying to walk behind the tv, or putting his hands on a wobbly flat screen we have to raise our voice and tell him to get away from there, its tough to know what the right option is, when to try and slap his hand or whatever, if it warrants something like that, or just pull him away, but then he goes back immediately. Whats a correct discipline for a 17 month old?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

any time my dad took his belt off, I knew there was nothing I could do to stop him from shooting heroin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Man, you guys really got beaten with belts? My mom went the public embarrassment & shame route when I was a kid instead.
    Absolutely. My mom had the thin whip type belts and my dad had the thick leather belt.

As for the thieving 5 year old, it was me. I was asked to put out the hand I stole the money with and it was whipped with a belt. But that was after being threatened with the iron. My mom is now embarrassed about the story and feels bad, but I take it as lesson learned. Know that if we're ever hanging out and your money is missing, it most definitely was not me who stole it.

I worked in a call center years ago doing hotel reservations. A woman called to make a reservation and I heard a child in the background screaming, "No, mommy I promise I'm sorry!" The mother replied to the child something along the lines of, "Nope, sorry, that was your last chance, you're going in there", and I hear a door shut. The woman returned to me on the phone and told me when her son acts out she makes him go in the garage with the door shut because he can't stand it in there.

I thought it was brilliant...borderline child abuse, but brilliant.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    That certainly sounds interesting. With my 17 month old son Henry, when he starts trying to walk behind the tv, or putting his hands on a wobbly flat screen we have to raise our voice and tell him to get away from there, its tough to know what the right option is, when to try and slap his hand or whatever, if it warrants something like that, or just pull him away, but then he goes back immediately. Whats a correct discipline for a 17 month old?
    17 months is tough. My advice is to secure the tv to a wall and cover up the cords with some safety device, one of these times you guys will have your back turned and bad things will happen. Better to prevent. Have a 6 and 3 1/2 year old and the most we've done is spank hands if t was serious enough. Stern voice and timeouts have always worked wonders for us, always have to get down to their level and ask for an explantation of what they did that got them in trouble and how they will avoid it in the future. They are 2 of the best behaved kids around. Never a mention of any big problems when left with family members or friends, which I feel is the best way to decipher results. It's how they act when they aren't with us. They do have their moments, though, oh they have their moments.

They do tend to act up a bit when I am in the hospital. We are very close and being ripped out of their lives takes a toll. Can't really fault them for acting out since they don't know how to process what they are feeling. It is the hardest thing I deal with, being away from them. Thank god for nightly FaceTime sessions. They get to see daddy is ok and I get to hear them laugh. My son was up here when I came out of surgery the other day and I heard he did not react well to seeing me so out of it. Babysitter couldn't watch him since it was moved up the night before, we were kinda sol. We really have a tight relationship. He's 3 1/2 and I am there with him all day every day since he is not in school yet. the last 2 times I have come into the hospital he has ended up sick within a day. We honestly believe it is from stress and a broken heart.

Daughter is 6 and miss independent right now. The way she deals with me being gone is just being quiet. Kind of like she doesn't want to interact with sick daddy, which is hard, but I'm not gonna push her. We all have our ways of dealing.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 06-12-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    What are everyones thoughts on letting a baby "cry it out"? it's an important topic of discussion in our house right.now.
    your baby is 3 weeks old? can I PM you what worked for me, or do you guys want to create a private social parenting group?

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    That's funny I was hoping someone would start a thread on parenting. I've been having some issues with my nine month old not being able to sleep through the night. She's been waking up every hour on the hour for the past 4 days. On a good night she'll wake up maybe two times in the middle of the night and one of those times is for feeding. Leaving my wife and I sleep deprived and snappy at each other. I started doing some research online and noticed that all you can pretty much do is either let them cry it out or rockem to sleep every night. Neither of which option is getting us any sleep. I said to myself "man if only there was a thread" Hallelujah!!!!
    At 9 months old we still let our kids sleep in bed with us when they were having a rough night. They would wake up, realize where they were and how cozy the we're, and fall right back asleep. Even at 6 and 3 1/2 we still don't mind if the climb into bed with us in the middle of the night. We know one day it will end so why not enjoy every close moment we can? Our daughter at 6 maybe comes to snuggle once every couple weeks, our 3 1/2 year old son is once or twice a week. He will clImb between us and then chose one to wrap his arms around. He's a spooner.

I have little dogs for bed-snuggling. Our bed isn't big enough for kids too. But that does sound nice, Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It's gone be a mess when I get home. While in the hospital both kids sleep in bed with my wife. I come home being told by the little ones that I can sleep in one of their beds.

When I divorced my husband I use to have the kids sleep with me for my own comfort, which was a horrible idea. When I finally started dating someone my kids had complete meltdowns when they couldn't sleep with me. It was definitely hard on my dating life. My daughter is almost 20 and she still likes to snuggle with her mommy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I wouldn't mind snuggling with my girls even when they are older. We snuggle watching movies on TV sometimes. They just don't sleep in my bed.

My mom is smaller than me. She doesn't like it when I try to snuggle with her and squish her. She usually slaps me on top of my head and say "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" but in an Asian accent.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    When I divorced my husband I use to have the kids sleep with me for my own comfort, which was a horrible idea. When I finally started dating someone my kids had complete meltdowns when they couldn't sleep with me. It was definitely hard on my dating life. My daughter is almost 20 and she still likes to snuggle with her mommy.
    It's really weird for the person you're dating, too. I let it happen because it doesn't occur frequently enough to be an issue, and I figure I can get over being uncomfortable with it for a little bit and move on. It's harder for a kid to get over the rejection of me telling him to get out of bed, especially when his dad would let him do it before I came around. When my boyfriend and I first slept in the same bed it happened more frequently but he was much younger than. It's like Steve says, they grow out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

It's definitely weird for the other person. My ex husband and I had tried to reconcile at one point and my daughter had such a meltdown when she encountered my locked door that Tony ended up leaving. Whew, dodged that bullet. Thanks Alysha!

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    what's worse is that my boyfriend's son is 8 and loves the heat (he just got into basketball last year and loves lebron) so he was soooo excited while i was sitting there crushed. i tried to support his love of basketball, though.
    I had to bring this over from the NBA thread when I read this. Its great to be supportive of his love of the game, but there is nothing wrong with a lil family rivalry.

Plus... props to you for putting your own love of one team to the side to support his.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Why do parents always put car seats on the passenger side of the backseat? It seems like it would be so much mire convenitto put them on the driver side so you wouldn't have to walk around the car to load/unload.

Easier to see them in the rear view mirror. At least for me it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Also, much easier to pass them things while driving.

And that is usually curb side.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Why do parents always put car seats on the passenger side of the backseat? It seems like it would be so much mire convenitto put them on the driver side so you wouldn't have to walk around the car to load/unload.
    When you drop kids off at a curb at school, many schools make the kids get out on the curb side. In general it's safer dealing with a kid on that side. It's also easier to have a conversation with someone diagonal vs. tandem. Also, more room behind passenger seat if nobody is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by keeshonjohnson View Post
    Also, much easier to pass them things while driving.
    Yep, I remember driving down the freeway at 70mph while reaching back and searching for binkys and shaking rattles to calm my kids down. It's a lot easier to do when they are on the passenger side. I was also probably putting my makeup on at the same time. I was an awesome multi-tasker. (scary)

And if you're tall and have the driver's seat all the way back, it's hard to fit the car seat behind it.

Today was crazy hair day at camp. Both of my daughters were extremely excited about using this streaky hair dye. This morning they were a little slow, goofed off a little while getting ready, and I certainly didnít remind them to speed things up. It was time to go and they were heartbroken they didnít have time to dye their hair.

Usually Iím all about rewarding positive behavior and while this wasnít exactly punishing bad behavior, I still feel bad they had to learn about time management this way. Had they showered, dressed, ate, brushed teeth quickly, they would have had plenty of time to work on the crazy hair.

Was I right to purposely stand back and let them do their thing, knowing they wouldnít have time for the dye, or should I have been more active in pushing them along their morning routine?

I would have probably commented at some point that if they don't hurry they won't get to crazy up the hair. Especially if it was something they were really looking forward to previously. Then again, I was way too easy going on my kids so my opinion is probably not worth much. My kids still have horrible time management skills and I am trying to teach lessons at 18 + 20, don't do that.

Yea, I would have said something at some point. Kids are not always as aware as the rest of us.

Your daughters are both crying in the bathroom right now and no one will eat lunch w/them.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-28-2012 at 09:20 AM.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I would have told them to hurry up.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Lol, you must not have any kids.... all the replies are dead on. Nothing worse than the kid crying and you cant reach behind you to give them their pacifier if they are seated behind the driver.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Ha, no kids. It makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    What are everyones thoughts on letting a baby "cry it out"? it's an important topic of discussion in our house right.now.
    I read / saw something on this topic recently. You should never do it; it leads to feelings of abandonment later on.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths