Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Default Re: The Parenting Thread

The SF kid making a beeline for the door was the most hilarious part of that scenario.

But I disagree that the American and Japanese kids developed more slowly. All the kids seemed developmentally on target and quite bright; they just got there through different means. The Japanese baby having a meltdown was not only the funniest part of the whole movie for me, it was fascinating to watch. That kid was WAY smart. Her brain knew what to do; she was just too young to have the fine motor skills to do what she wanted, and she lost her temper. And what a temper she had.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    I carry a picture of mine on my phone.
    this is the background on mine. appropriately enough the fucker bricked as I was typing out this response.

Babies was one of my favorite movies of 2010.

Casey, Izzy will eat broccoli, carrots, corn, peas, lettuce, and green beans. But only small servings. I guess she's getting more than some kids, but being someone who eats more veggies than meat it is irksome. I do give her chewy vitamins too. So, I shouldn't worry too much.

Another question . . .

What do you do with a child that is hypersensitive and already too self critical? I can see Izzy puts a lot of pressure on herself to be perfect. She'll get upset if her drawing isn't exactly how she wants it or if she misses one word on her spelling test. I don't think I'm the one who puts these expectations on her. How can I help her accept and embrace her little imperfections?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Babies was one of my favorite movies of 2010.

Casey, Izzy will eat broccoli, carrots, corn, peas, lettuce, and green beans. But only small servings. I guess she's getting more than some kids, but being someone who eats more veggies than meat it is irksome. I do give her chewy vitamins too. So, I shouldn't worry too much.

Another question . . .

What do you do with a child that is hypersensitive and already too self critical? I can see Izzy puts a lot of pressure on herself to be perfect. She'll get upset if her drawing isn't exactly how she wants it or if she misses one word on her spelling test. I don't think I'm the one who puts these expectations on her. How can I help her accept and embrace her little imperfections?

Big Bird usually had a good answer.....

Awesome. Thank you. I showed it to Izzy and she's been singing it to herself ever since.

BTW, I hate it when I step on my J.

What are everyones thoughts on letting a baby "cry it out"? it's an important topic of discussion in our house right.now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    What are everyones thoughts on letting a baby "cry it out"? it's an important topic of discussion in our house right.now.
    How old we talking here? Infants usually cry for a good reason.

Disgustipated, when does the crying usually happen? Going to bed or waking up at night?

My kids slept with me for years because I could never handle the cry it out part. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Jesus parents be crazy. I just had a mom go from screaming at the top of her lungs to losing her breath from screaming to sobbing uncontrollably. Because her child was not placed in the same work-group today as her friend. I am exhausted from repeating "I understand your concern" ad infinitum. I am one more tantrum away from throwing her child out of the program, but it seems unfortunate to penalize the kid for the mom being insane.

I vow that if I am ever a mom, I will never ever try to insist that my kid is put in the same group as another kid. Children are allowed to have more than one friend. In fact, it may even be beneficial for them. Crazier things have happened.

Our elementary school sent home a letter basically telling parents to not dare ask for a specific teacher next year or to have their child placed with a friend. It was pretty shitty to be talked to like that, the tone was basically "shut the fuck up and deal with it". Don't blame the school, but they could have worded it a bit nicer. So many entitled parents and money around that I guess they have been pushed over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    Nate, my 5 year old, didn't sleep through the night until he was 1. And it took a lot of work but I couldn't let him full on cry it out. He had colic early on and we ended up having him sleep in our bed because sleep deprivation was making me crazy. Anyway, when I transitioned him out of our bed (he still didn't sleep through the night even in our bed) I placed him in his crib in his nursery and would go in everyone now and again and pat his bottom and walk out. But never spoke, just let him know I was there. It took three nights, each one was easier than the previous, but we had success!
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Jesus parents be crazy. I just had a mom go from screaming at the top of her lungs to losing her breath from screaming to sobbing uncontrollably. Because her child was not placed in the same work-group today as her friend. I am exhausted from repeating "I understand your concern" ad infinitum. I am one more tantrum away from throwing her child out of the program, but it seems unfortunate to penalize the kid for the mom being insane.

I vow that if I am ever a mom, I will never ever try to insist that my kid is put in the same group as another kid. Children are allowed to have more than one friend. In fact, it may even be beneficial for them. Crazier things have happened.
    Ah man. My son is starting Kindergarten and I have a friend who was upset at me for deciding on a school that is out of her zoning because her daughter really wanted to go to school and be in the same class as my son. I think that is nuts to want your child to be in a friend's class like that. I think that being forced to make new friends builds character and social skills. I can't believe a mom would yell at you over something like that!

I work in a school. I can tell you 100% that it is in your child's best interest to let the teachers create the classes and not the parents! You may know who your child's best friend is outside of school, but that doesn't mean you know how they work together in a classroom setting!
    I am the secretary and my kids go to this school. I do not try to influence the teachers in any way. I trust them to make classes that work for all the indivduals.

Quote Originally Posted by keeshonjohnson View Post
    I work in a school. I can tell you 100% that it is in your child's best interest to let the teachers create the classes and not the parents! You may know who your child's best friend is outside of school, but that doesn't mean you know how they work together in a classroom setting!
    I am the secretary and my kids go to this school. I do not try to influence the teachers in any way. I trust them to make classes that work for all the indivduals.
    Exactly! This is the same friend who would tell me, "I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but Nate had to go in the thinking chair today in preschool. But my daughter said it wasn't his fault." I told her, "Uh, I respect their teacher and if she put him in the thinking chair then it probably was his fault. Nate confessed to talking on the rug when the teacher was talking." She told me, "Oh, okay. You know me, I just always have to give kids the benefit of the doubt." Uh, not five year olds who have an awesome teacher. I was going to be a teacher so I probably got more annoyed with her than I should have, but give me a break. Yeah, exactly why I don't want her to put her kid in my kid's class on purpose.

*disclaimer: It should be noted that I make shitty parenting moves daily and I am not better than my friend and I am sure she has stories she tells her husband about things I do.

^HAHA. I really hate when parents excuse their child's behavior and/or always take the side of their kids and blame the teachers. I also dislike when people expect their child to be given special treatment. I don't know what happens to people (especially moms) when they have babies, but it turns some into such crazy people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    So, my boyfriend has an 8-year-old son. He is pretty good for the most part at home but has been getting into arguments with a couple of other kids at school, usually regarding sports. When he gets into these arguments, the teachers try to have "peace talks" with him and the other kid and he sometimes refuses to have the talk until his teachers give him the option to either a) have the talk or b) see the principal. It got to the point where he has gotten a few things at school taken away and now I get a report every day about his behavior. The report is usually okay, but the main issues that keep coming up are refusing to talk to his teachers, arguing, and/or saying things in a negative or harsh tone.

I don't really know how to correct it. He has gotten some stuff taken away (TV, video games), we've tried the talking approach, we've tried the writing sentences approach, and I'm out of ideas! Parents, what should we try next?
    This might be silly for his age (I have two younger boys 5 and 2), but what about some kind of reward chart/system for when he has good days at school? He gets some sort of point each day and can redeem them for ______ when he has so many? On the positive side, at least he has enough self confidence to stick up for himself and voice his opinion? Of course we all have to learn how to adapt in different social environments and he will too, but I think that it will be a good personality trait in the future.

A book I love is called, "How to Behave and Why" originally published in the 40s. It is great because it explains why should behave well very simply. In a nutshell, it basically breaks it down to knowing if you are behaving correctly by asking yourself, "When I go somewhere, are people glad that I am there? Am I glad to be there?"

And also, I think it's great that he has you in his life. I can tell you really care about him.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    This might be silly for his age (I have two younger boys 5 and 2), but what about some kind of reward chart/system for when he has good days at school? He gets some sort of point each day and can redeem them for ______ when he has so many? On the positive side, at least he has enough self confidence to stick up for himself and voice his opinion? Of course we all have to learn how to adapt in different social environments and he will too, but I think that it will be a good personality trait in the future.

A book I love is called, "How to Behave and Why" originally published in the 40s. It is great because it explains why should behave well very simply. In a nutshell, it basically breaks it down to knowing if you are behaving correctly by asking yourself, "When I go somewhere, are people glad that I am there? Am I glad to be there?"

And also, I think it's great that he has you in his life. I can tell you really care about him.
    You know, I told my boyfriend the same thing (about speaking up and not being passive). I told Andy that it's okay to express that he doesn't think games are being played fairly, but he has to learn how to express that without being mean. Teaching tone to a child is kind of hard! I will look into the book and order it...it's worth a shot! We are trying the reward system now. He is leaving to visit his grandparents next week when school gets out, so I'm hoping all he needs is a little break from school and LA and that he will come back ready for a fresh start.

The crazy parent came up to me this morning and gave me a hug and apologized. Ok. I respect that she had the maturity to apologize, but I'm not convinced this whole thing isn't going to happen again tomorrow when something else makes her unhappy.

Our 9 year old daughter continues to wet her bed. It won't happen for a few months and then all of the sudden it happens several times in a week. Any of you kids wet your beds into your preteens? Does this ever stop? Should we pull the trigger on a bedwetting alarm? Does it just eventually go away?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

What the fuck is a bedwetting alarm? I say invest in the bedwetting taser gun.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Already tried the electric blanket. Wires were too insulated to wake her up.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

^WTF?! Maybe the belt is the next answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Our 9 year old daughter continues to wet her bed. It won't happen for a few months and then all of the sudden it happens several times in a week. Any of you kids wet your beds into your preteens? Does this ever stop? Should we pull the trigger on a bedwetting alarm? Does it just eventually go away?
    I have no advice for situations like this. I got the belt if I wet the bed, the belt that seemingly only existed to whoop my ass. I don't think I ever saw my Dad wear it. Well, other than around his hand. But I think there are medical issues in this department. Not sure if medical would be the right term, but some people do just wet the bed, it's an issue they have. I have no idea why. My cousin wet the bed well into his teens. Not sure what happened after a while, it was just never spoken of again. Don't know if it was over with, or the jokes and shit talking made it stay quiet.

I spent my childhood sleeping strapped into an electrically charged gurney.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Is she nervous about something? Drinking lots of water? Dehydrated? That was the telling sign for me that I was becoming a diabetic when I was 8 years old. I also had a spell once of lying to my parents about doing my blood tests and inventing good results when they asked about it, that I wet the bed for a few nights in a row, and then I got caught making up my blood sugar numbers, then got the belt all over me... and never had the problem again.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

The answer.

Maybe a pink one won't make it seem so harsh.

Man, you guys really got beaten with belts? My mom went the public embarrassment & shame route when I was a kid instead.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I spent my childhood sleeping strapped into an electrically charged gurney.
    I split my head open on one of those alphabet magnet boards when I was kid... the doctors had to put me in a straightjacket in order to stitch me up.

Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

my mom threatened hitting when she got really frustrated but never actually hit us. She had paddles and hairbrushes and stuff and would smash them into tables and stuff and then lock herself in her room.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

HAHA. My mom would just come up with punishments like "couch grounding", which basically meant she would make me sit on the couch for a set period of time (usually an hour) without talking or falling asleep. If I did either one I had to start over. I hated it.