Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Default Re: The Parenting Thread

Guilty as charged.

More than one post office runs under 1 minute.

Though I never, ever, let my kids build a snow-fort as this is how I nearly suffocated to death as a 7 year old.
    Last edited by santasutt; 08-22-2014 at 02:40 AM.

I've only ever left my kids in the car when going inside to pay cash at a gas station, and you can see them from inside.

Here in CA, where it's temperate/warm, it can get hot in a car really quickly, even with the windows cracked on a mild day. People will call the cops and have them break windows if they see someone's left a dog unattended in a car, and it looks like the animal may be in distress. So leaving a child is a definite non-starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

When my kids were little I had pulled into a gas station to grab something, the kids were asleep in their car seats, the parking spot was on a hill and I drove a stick shift. While waiting in line to pay I heard a scream, looked out and saw the car rolling through the parking lot. My son had woken up, unbuckled himself and climbed over the seat hitting the e-brake. I was able to stop it just before it rolled out into the street. I never left the kids in the car again. I still have nightmares about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

omg how horrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Holy crap, yeah, that would generate nightmares.

I fell out of a moving car when I was 18 mos old. I still remember it. This was back before car seats, or seat belts, even. I remember the door swinging open, rolling out and hitting the asphalt, smelling the salt air (my mom was making a left hand turn from Mission Blvd onto Garnet in PB - we lived in Pacific Beach then). I was unhurt. I wasn't afraid, only surprised. Good thing the traffic was light back in the day, or I suppose I would have been run over. My mother was shocked and horrified that I recalled it as an adult; she never once mentioned it to anyone when I was growing up.
    Last edited by HowToDisappear; 08-22-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

When I was a kid my mom left my brother and I in her station wagon to run back into her house to get her wallet or something. I thought it would be funny to turn on the turn signal so it would be blinking when she started the car. Except I pushed the shifter down instead of the turn signal arm, throwing the car into reverse. It rolled down our driveway and smashed into the neighbor's car across the street. My little brother was in the far back of the station wagon and was as terrified as I've ever seen him.

I've never left my daughter in the car. Aside from being risky from a safety standpoint, it's also illegal and could lead to some pretty bad situations...

I left my dog in the car on a rainy, cool day and got berated by a crazy cat lady with a cart full of canned food, like 100 cans. She was horrible so I finally busted out the c word and told her to back the fuck off. Again, it was raining and cool.

We get dirty looks when we send the kids in to do the errands while we stay in the car. It's a lose / lose situation no matter how you look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I thought it was pretty shitty of the concerned citizen to call the cops and not sit there waiting to ensure the safety of the child.

Ok here's a question. I was chilling with my nephew the other day and he asked me if it's ok for him to use an essay writing service (he said http://essayseek.com to be specific) to get a paper in by the deadline. His parents don't think it's a big deal if it's just a one-off but I'm pretty worried. Has anyone else been in this position before?

What the hell was he doing chilling when he's got a paper to do?

As a mother and a teacher, I say no way. He should also be aware that most schools now have technology that can detect plagiarism, and it's not worth the risk.

Holy shit, $7.50 per page!!??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    Ok here's a question. I was chilling with my nephew the other day and he asked me if it's ok for him to use an essay writing service (he said http://essayseek.com to be specific) to get a paper in by the deadline. His parents don't think it's a big deal if it's just a one-off but I'm pretty worried. Has anyone else been in this position before?

"Kids these days......"

This kid is gonna be a shithead if he has been raised by parents who are OK with giving him the green light on this idea.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    "Kids these days......"
    Yup. It's certainly changed a lot since my time!

Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    Given the utter pointlessness of most essays and the pathetic quality of the teachers he's suffering under, cut the kid some slack. If it's somehow an actually useful essay subject, tell him to nut up.