Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Default Re: The Parenting Thread

It’s crazy what our kids gravitate to. I’m not going to get into the crap that Jason discussed in a FB post, but some of the stuff they discover is funny.

A couple months back, my daughter found a few songs by Wolf Gang in our collection. It is now her favorite band. She listens to the entirety of their only album, has printed out pictures of them, cut them out, put them on her wall and knows all there is to know about Max, Lasse Gavin, and James. Heck, I’ve never even seen them live due to conflictchella, and I certainly don’t know the names of the band-members, let alone the front man. All I hear about is Max and what he wore in this video and that video.

Any of your kids get more into something (non-mainstream) in your music collection way more than you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

My older daughter got into Bright Eyes and Okkervil River based on my music collection.

My younger daughter thinks Dad Rock is dumb and would rather listen to K Pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Izzy loves Brazilian Girls. She has since she was 3. She hasn't really taken time to get to know the musicians, but she plays their music while she's reading or playing in her bedroom all of the time. I'll walk by her room and I can hear her singing. "Pussy, pussy, pussy, marijuana."

When my kids were three, they LOOOVED Art of Noise. They'd run up and say, "play art-a-noise, Mama!... play art-a-noise!". I'd pop the CD in and they'd throw their blankies on the floor in front of the speakers, lie down and press their heads up against the grills. It was weird and funny.

When they were 6 or 7, completely on their own, they developed an affinity for jazz (about which I had only basic knowledge). So every birthday and xmas, I'd go talk to the jazz guy at Tower Records and he'd suggest various albums for them as gifts. They got a lot of flack in third grade from classmates for not knowing who 'N Sync was, but they could reel off jazz greats, hah.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Our 3 year old daughter loves Cut Copy.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Our 20-month-old likes the Breeders, Hall & Oates, the Beach Boys and Desmond Dekker.

What do you suggest I do when your child has a friend who when mom and dad aren't around is quite mature and sweet, but as soon as her parents show up she gets all whiney and clingy? She can be mean to Izzy (randomly walking away and constantly changing her mind) when her parents are there and they do little to discipline her. She's a COMPLETELY different kid on her own. I just can't sit around and let her hurt my daughter's feelings, but her parents (who are good friends of ours) do nothing.

Talk to the parents. What else can you do? If you try to deal with the kid, they're probably going to go lie to their parents to cover their asses in advance, then you're gonna be out some friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Be prepared for them to get defensive. Parents dont typically like other parents to criticize their kids. Most children act completely different when around their parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I know they're already going to get defensive. I've had to step in already a couple of times regarding their annoying parenting. And you're right, Randy, the kid will manipulate the whole situation and make me look like the bad guy. Other than this, these people are great people and great friends. This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post

Any of your kids get more into something (non-mainstream) in your music collection way more than you have?
    My two oldest, 21 and 19, have discovered Dad's vinyl and are putting new scratches into most of my old Clash and Pretenders records.

Yeah, not so non-mainstream except for Side Five and Six of Sandinista which seems to be playing in the background a lot lately.

Oh and Every Picture Tells a Story. too for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I know they're already going to get defensive. I've had to step in already a couple of times regarding their annoying parenting. And you're right, Randy, the kid will manipulate the whole situation and make me look like the bad guy. Other than this, these people are great people and great friends. This sucks.
    Get some audio/video proof. Show them. They can't deny it then.

That's weird. I don't want to spy on them.

It'd be awesome, but I just couldn't.

Videotape them?!? That would be completely messed up on so many levels.

I was always loathe to interfere with the friend dynamic, unless I felt that the friend could potentially be a danger/detriment/bad influence. If I had felt the situation was bad enough to warrant interference on a parent-to-parent basis (which never did happen), chances are that kid would never play with my kid again. But you say these people are good friends of yours. So talk to them about it (yes, it's possible you may lose a friendship over it). Also, just because they're friends of yours, doesn't obligate Izzy to be friends with their child. And if she doesn't like how this kid treats her half the time, she doesn't have to hang out with her, or allow herself to be subjected to it, if she doesn't want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

doesn't obligate Izzy to be friends with their child
    Exactly. There are plenty of other things Izzy could be doing that are better than subjecting herself to this other biatch. Izzy can ignore the abusive behaviour and do something more fun that makes her happy (even if that means doing something by herself or hanging out with you).

Oh, and by the way, chance are you other parent friends already know about this behaviour. They just can't or have chosen not to control it.
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I think it's more that they "can't" then don't. It's like it's too late now. They are so afraid that she'll throw a tantrum if she's disciplined. They've been embarrassed by her behavior so many times already that I think they've resigned themselves to allowing other people do the dirty work. It's easier for me to reassure Izzy after her feelings have been hurt then it is for all of us to deal with Lily's cry fits. I know it's messed up. I hate being the bad guy, but if Lily does it again her parents have left me no choice.

If the parent's can't, pretty soon other kids are going to be the peers that Lily learns from on how to behave.

Izzy can be that influence just as much Lily's parents are. If Izzy is a stand-up enough kid, she could, in a non-bossy way express her feelings to Lily. As long as done politely and with a positive attitude (which I know is hard for kids), it’s demonstrating to Lily that there are options that can gain Izzy’s attention beyond Lily. Ignoring a child because of bad behavior and subjecting them to loneliness is sometimes incentive enough for a kid to ‘try’ to replicate positive behavior in a way where others want to be around them again.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Have Izzy teach Lily about the Brazilian Girls... verse by verse...Even up the parental playing field...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    My two oldest, 21 and 19, have discovered Dad's vinyl and are putting new scratches into most of my old Clash and Pretenders records.

Yeah, not so non-mainstream except for Side Five and Six of Sandinista which seems to be playing in the background a lot lately.

Oh and Every Picture Tells a Story. too for some reason.
    IDK it's sort of like a preachers daughter going wild when they come of age and doing just the opposite as their parents. Both of my daughters taste in music sucks in my mind. Oh where did I go wrong ....The way things are going, I might have a chance to influence some small people in the future. Life is so weird but that's that makes it interesting... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Gunz, have you tried just beating the everloving shit out of their daughter for them? That's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Izzy can be that influence just as much Lily's parents are. If Izzy is a stand-up enough kid, she could, in a non-bossy way express her feelings to Lily.
    This is what I've been encouraging Izzy to do. Hopefully hearing it from a peer might make Lily a bit more self aware.

Thanks for all the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Gunz, have you tried just beating the everloving shit out of their daughter for them? That's what I'd do.
    I have fantasized about it, but I'd like to stay out of jail.

Okay look, for 20 dollars and a handful of Vicodin, I will show up wherever you want, beat the shit out of the kid, and then escape. And when her parents ask you what happened you can just explain, "Well, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but your kid really needed to be taught a lesson. She's gettin' out of pocket with the wrong motherfuckers."

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Videotape them?!? That would be completely messed up on so many levels.

I was always loathe to interfere with the friend dynamic, unless I felt that the friend could potentially be a danger/detriment/bad influence. If I had felt the situation was bad enough to warrant interference on a parent-to-parent basis (which never did happen), chances are that kid would never play with my kid again. But you say these people are good friends of yours. So talk to them about it (yes, it's possible you may lose a friendship over it). Also, just because they're friends of yours, doesn't obligate Izzy to be friends with their child. And if she doesn't like how this kid treats her half the time, she doesn't have to hang out with her, or allow herself to be subjected to it, if she doesn't want to.
    A-

it would be an A+ except for the loath/loathe confusion. Loathe is a verb meaning to detest; loath is the adjective meaning reluctant.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Adults not having kids is like missing half of what's life is about. Just saying .. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

What life is about FOR YOU, Ron. Life is about a lot of different things for a lot of different people.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I mean, the exact same thing could be said to parents from people that don't have children, on the basis that all that responsibility has effectively forced you into missing out on tons of opportunities.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Actually I think that's probably the only thing Ron's ever said that makes sense.

Then again, just because it's half of life doesn't mean I want to experience it. There's an entire half of my life thus far I would have gladly skipped over.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Okay look, for 20 dollars and a handful of Vicodin, I will show up wherever you want, beat the shit out of the kid,
    There's no vicodin. I already checked.

Alright fine, 25 dollars.