Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

VigoTheCarpathian

Default Re: The Parenting Thread

Let her do soccer one Tuesday and see if she even likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Our 10 year old daughter loves soccer and loves track. Its track-season and she has practice Mon, Wed, and Thurs from 4:30-6. She also wants to join a weekly soccer camp during the spring that is either Tue, Wed, or both, from 6-7:30. I’m supportive if she wants to do 1 hours of soccer directly after 1 hours of track, but I have no idea if that starts to test the physical limitations of a 10 year old.

Is 4 days in a row of intense 1 hour exercise too much? Or would skipping Tuesday and having 3 hours of activity be too much on Wednesday? Or should we just be totally supportive of this, let her do it all, and only start pulling back if it’s too grueling or if we find that she’s too tired?
    If she loves soccer and track, I think she should go for it! Getting girls involved in sports is a great way to develop confidence and appreciation of their bodies, as well as helping to teach teamwork.

4 days of exercise in a row should be fine. As for 3 hours of activity, why not ask the coaches? It really depends on what they are doing. During my short-lived career in the education field, we definitely had a lot of kids in the 8-12 range who would spend Saturdays being shuttled between two or three different types of sports practices, and they managed, although sometimes were pretty exhausted by the end.

I'd say give it a try and see how it goes. You or she should figure out pretty quickly if it works or not.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

If I had kids I would discourage them from running track.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Hahaha, what's wrong with track?

As good as it may be for your muscles, it seems terribly stressful on your bones and joints and the such. One of the better pieces of advice my dad ever gave me was, "take care of your knees and your back at all costs--you will need them more than you think some day." As a result, I have cultivated a life of educated sloth and my body is in tip top condition.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Tip Top!

Tip top. My hair is lush, I look fantastic naked, I have none of the chronic pains or conditions that almost everyone I know does. I have managed to think my way to physical perfection. Exercise is for the slow-witted.

Then how do you explain those ugly-ass yellow teeth?

A valid point. The correct answer is cigarettes and heroin. Also, since teeth are not muscles I cannot merely think my will upon them. They are dead material, which I have no power over, as I have given up necromancy.

That's too bad. Witchcraft can be such a useful tool and sport.

How do you think I got to where I am?

How hard can it be to go from storm drain to gutter?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Meet Tatum.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

... okay, I never do this, but cute.

Congrats, she's beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

ahhhh, tatum is so cute!!!!

also playa, are your girls anywhere near as hyper as i am? i think having all those activities when i was young was a blessing for my parents to get me to actually go to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Tatum is very cute. I don't know how old she is, but please, please don't ruin it by buying these and annoying your facebook friends for her monthly birthdays.

Ivy, they can be hyper, but they sleep well and bedtimes have never been a problem. But yes, we have been excessively active from time to time with the sole intention of wearing them down.

Tatum is gorgeous.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

One of many reasons I was happy mine came out a girl.

I didn't really have a preference except I was the last one to carry on my name. As it ended up, my grandson has my last name because my daughter always kept it (cept hyphenated recently)....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Holy Crap! She's Walking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    Holy Crap! She's Walking!
    YeePee ............ and yes, cute of course ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Awesome.

My daughter tried out for the U11 AYSO Extra (club soccer, but sponsored by AYSO) team back in April and of the 25 or so girls who tried out, she didn’t make the team. We then signed her up (as we had planned anyway) for her regular U12 league this year.

Last Thursday, the U12 director reached out looking for a couple coaches as they are short for the year and girls were at risk of not playing if they couldn’t find enough coaches. I stepped up, talked myself into it, and actually have become pretty excited about the endeavor. I took the online classes over the weekend, signed up for 6 hours of training this coming weekend and even bought some coaching equipment yesterday.

Last night, the U11 Extra coach calls and explains that one of the girls dropped off the team, my daughter's next on the list, and they’d love to have her. Practice starts tomorrow.

My daughter is excited and proud she made the team and I’m totally supportive of it. I, however feel totally bad that I need to back out of this coaching gig now. Couldn’t they have figured all this out before the U12 teams were distributed and coaches were determined?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

That is a shitty situation, but AYSO is volunteer organization and they should be prepared for these scenarios. If anything, you could volunteer to coach for a few practices until they find a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    My daughter tried out for the U11 AYSO Extra (club soccer, but sponsored by AYSO) team back in April and of the 25 or so girls who tried out, she didn’t make the team. We then signed her up (as we had planned anyway) for her regular U12 league this year.

Last Thursday, the U12 director reached out looking for a couple coaches as they are short for the year and girls were at risk of not playing if they couldn’t find enough coaches. I stepped up, talked myself into it, and actually have become pretty excited about the endeavor. I took the online classes over the weekend, signed up for 6 hours of training this coming weekend and even bought some coaching equipment yesterday.

Last night, the U11 Extra coach calls and explains that one of the girls dropped off the team, my daughter's next on the list, and they’d love to have her. Practice starts tomorrow.

My daughter is excited and proud she made the team and I’m totally supportive of it. I, however feel totally bad that I need to back out of this coaching gig now. Couldn’t they have figured all this out before the U12 teams were distributed and coaches were determined?

Recently I was on the shit end of the stick in a similar situation but it worked out just fine.

in 2012, my son hated his HS hoops coach so much he decided to play town league hoops his senior year instead of HS team. I got tapped to be an asst. coach with a guy I knew from way back when we used to coach against each other in youth bb. Well his son tries out for the fourth time and finally ends up making varsity (different HS) in his senior year which came as a surprise to all. And guess who gets stuck with the whistle and ball bag? My buddy had already run three practices and coached one game but handed it over before the ink was dry on the cut list for his kid's HS team.

At first I thought it was a dick move but I was able to snag some of my old coaching pals and we made a fun season of it. We lost in the finals with our rag tag bunch. My buddy's son was happy to be named to varsity but played only garbage time minutes.

So don't feel bad unless you think your daughter won't get much playing time and you think she needs to play a lot to develop. As last kid picked she may not get the same opportunities she would with her dad as head coach. The town leagues usually get by with parents who are willing to step up. Lay out the pros and cons with your daughter and do what she wants to do.

School is starting soon. Ugh. I have trouble getting my kids up in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

School is starting soon. Ugh. I have trouble getting my kids up in the morning.
    I feel your pain...especially the 13 year old male child lol. My only daughter (10) loves school. But the 13yr old and 6 yr old I have issues with in the morning :/
    Life Is Beautiful Festival, Las Vegas 2013
    First time at Coachella will be April 2014!