Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musicfest NW 2012

Default Musicfest NW

Sept. 5-9, Portland citywide. $75-$125 for passes, on sale June 1. There are usually adds.http://musicfestnw.com/lineup/Silversun PickupsPassion PitBeirutGirl TalkA-TrakDinosaur Jr.SebadohJ. MascisThe Tallest Man On EarthThe Helio SequenceOld 97's performing Too Far To CareYelawolfHot SnakesMenomenaTrampled By TurtlesStarfuckerRed FangDanny BrownJason Isbell and The 400 UnitTyphoonSwansLightning BoltPurity RingBlack MountainKing Khan & the ShrinesHazelFucked UpBig FreediaFuture IslandsThe Pains Of Being Pure At HeartRedd KrossSloan performing Twice RemovedJohn MausMoonfaceOmar SouleymanJoe PugBig BusinessThe MenPokey LaFarge & the South City ThreeI Break HorsesMilo GreeneTanlinesThe GrowlersTrustDJ Mr. Jonathan ToubinTouche AmoreCeremonyNite JewelChelsea WolfeBlouseJulia HolterMirrorringLPXiu XiuGardens & VillaThe Builders and The ButchersBobby Bare Jr.The Soft MoonCheap GirlsPete Krebs and the Gossamer WingsSad Baby WolfRadiation CityThese United StatesBrown BirdJoyce ManorDefeaterDaughn GibsonHolcombe WallerHey MarseillesCraft SpellsMean JeansThe People's TempleFort LeanMrs. MagicianThe Drowning MenCrystal AntlersAnd And AndAlialujah ChoirQuest For FireEvian ChristTender ForeverCurious MysteryOnuinuPure Bathing CultureMac DemarcoDante vs. ZombiesDJ BeyondadoubtSandpeopleHungry GhostBrainstormErik KoskinenLakeWhite LungNaytronixHosannasHeadachesAANArrington De DionysoCasey Neil & The Norway RatsCopyDirtclodfightDJ Cooky ParkerGrandparentsGuantanamo BaywatchKendl WinterLemoloOld LightPalmasSnow Bud & The Flower PeopleStay CalmSun AngleSwahiliThe Dangerous Boys ClubThe DimesThe Needful LongingsThe Suicide NotesTyler LyleVice DeviceWhite Fang
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 05-28-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Default Re: Musicfest NW 2012

Weird, I guess this is part of it, too:

MusicFestNW Launches Sister Event, Embracing Portland Technology and Startup Culture

Portland Digital eXperience promises to broaden the appeal of internationally recognized music festival

PORTLAND, ORE. — April 10, 2012 — Willamette Week today announced that MusicFestNW (MFNW), the internationally acclaimed music festival held in downtown Portland, will be expanding its format in 2012 to include an event focused on technology, startups, and digital creativity, called the Portland Digital eXperience (PDX).

Expanding to a festival format, the panel-driven, tech-oriented programming will run during the weekdays leading into MFNW musical acts and parties in the evening.

“We’re thrilled at the prospect of expanding MFNW to a new — but entirely complementary — audience,” said WW’s Mark Zusman. “This is a natural progression for this event. And we’re looking forward to collaborating with the Portland tech community to make it happen.”
    Held in Portland, OR September 5th – September 9th, 2012, MFNW is one of the country’s largest music festivals. The attention to curation that has made MFNW a destination event will be applied to PDX’s programming.

In charge of the event will be Rick Turoczy, a co-founder of P.I.E.(Portland Incubator Experiment) and the man behind Silicon Florist, the definitive blog covering the Portland tech industry. “Many of the entrepreneurs in Portland have talked about the need for an event like this — a festival that puts the Portland tech scene on a bigger stage,” said Turoczy. “I’m thrilled that we are providing the opportunity and resources to help bring that vision to reality.”

old school

Swans, Dinosaur Jr, and Sebadoh make this very tempting to attend.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Yeah, there's a lot to see. Every time I scan the list, something else pops out.

This sounds pretty good. I think I may need to attend since it is in my backyard

September 5th
    • Passion Pit, LP @ Crystal Ballroom
    • Hot Snakes, Red Fang, Hungry Ghost @ Roseland Theater

September 6th
    • Purity Ring, Evian Christ, Headaches @ TBA
    • Old 97's, Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit, Bobby Bare Jr @ Roseland Theater
    • Tanlines, Naytronix @ Holocene
    • I Break Horses, John Maus, Onuinu @ Doug Fir Lounge
    • King Khan & the Shrines, Apache @ Dante's
    • Passion Pit @ Crystal Ballroom
    • Lightning Bolt @ Hawthorne Theater
    • Trampled by Turtles, These United States, Erik Koskinen @ Aladdin Theater

September 7th
    • Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Sandpeople @ Roseland Theater
    • The Helio Sequence, Chairlift, Radiation City, Hosannas @ Crysal Ballroom
    • The Paints of Being Pure at Heart @ Star Theater
    • A-Trak @ Wonder Ballroom
    • Beirut, Menomena, Gardens & Villa @ Pioneer Courthouse Square
    • Blouse @ Ted’s Berbati’s Pan
    • Trampled by Turtles, These United States, Erik Koskinen @ Aladdin Theater
    • Future Islands, Fort Lean @ Branx

September 8th
    • Swans, Xiu Xiu @ Hawthorne Theater
    • Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, J Mascis @ Roseland Theater
    • The Tallest Man on Earth @ Crystal Ballroom
    • Girl Talk, Starfucker @ Pioneer Courthouse Square
    • Julia Holter @ The Old Church
    • The Soft Moon @ Ted’s Berbati’s Pan
    • Light Asylum, DBC, Vice Device, Trust @ Holocene
    • Typhoon, Holcombe Waller, And And And @ Aladdin Theater

September 9th
    • Silversun Pickups @ Pioneer Courthouse Square
    Last edited by dorkfish; 05-31-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Is this at Coachella?

lawl
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    8/26 Jack Johnson @ Berkeley Greek Theatre
    9/19 Beck @ the Masonic (?)
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Swans, Xiu Xiu @ Hawthorne Theater
    This is a really unfortunate location/band pairing.

King Khan & the Shrines, Apache @ Dante's
    This, on the other hand, is a perfect one.

Also unfortunate:
    • Swans, Xiu Xiu @ Hawthorne Theater
    • Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, J Mascis @ Roseland Theater
    • The Tallest Man on Earth @ Crystal Ballroom
    On the same night. They do stagger shows enough that it may be possible to catch more than one, though. Crossing my fingers for good scheduling.

The Hives and Flying Lotus have been added. Wednesday is supposed to see more adds as well.

Yeah, this doesn't need another new thread, but, someone on the Sasquatch board is confirming Animal Collective, and Godspeed is already confirmed for two nights.
    Skrillex 2013 tour dates:

1/24/13 – Montreal, Canada
    4/12/13-4/21/13 POLO FIELD-SIZED GAP
    7/12/13 - Montreal, Canada
    7/13/13 - Toronto, Canada
    7/17/13 - Winnipeg, Canada
    7/19/13 - Calgary, Canada
    7/21/13 - Vancouver, Canada

old school

http://www.monqui.com/event/245691-m...arty-portland/

CHVRCHES doing the launch party = doing the festival itself? They have the dates open but they are in Ireland Sept 1st.

Deerhunter 09/04 @ Crystal Ballroom

And I suppose Alt-J is part of MFNW seeing as how they're playing the Crystal on 09/03.
    Last edited by clumsy342; 05-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.

I'm thinking about attending this year, I have visited before but never during the fest. Anybody who has gone before care to share their experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie S. View Post
    I'm thinking about attending this year, I have visited before but never during the fest. Anybody who has gone before care to share their experience?
    I've been the last 2 years. The benefits it has over other festivals are:

1) Cheap - I believe it was around 60 bucks for 5 days of music. While it doesn't have giant headliners, the past couple years you got bands like Beirut, Phantogram, Dinosaur Jr., Lightning Bolt, Explosions in the Sky, The Antlers, Charles Bradley, Flying Lotus, Passion Pit, Purity Ring, Little Dragon, Givers, Shabazz Palaces, Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Well worth it.

2) Less crowded - the venues at MusicFestNW hold anywhere from 100 - 1500 people and I haven't had any trouble getting in anywhere with a wristband. Used to live in Austin and getting into popular shows at SXSW was a challenge. MusicFestNW is pretty low key, so it isn't really obvious a music festival is going on.

3) KEXP day shows at Doug Fir Lounge - these are free and awesome. Last year you could see Dinosaur Jr., Purity Ring, Menomena, Black Mountain, and some others for free. Year before they had Phantogram, Explosions in the Sky, Little Dragon, and The Antlers there for free. Doug Fir is one of my favorite venues, sounds great, and only holds 300 people.

4) Portland - the weather is pretty awesome during September, and if you have time you can ride a bus/Amtrak up to Bumbershoot the days before to catch a day of music in Seattle. Or take a side trip to the Gorge, Edgefield, or a nature spot.

Clips of KEXP day shows:

Long-ish clip video I made over the course of the 2011 MusicFest, skip around and you can get a feel for the shows, most are at small venues:

So yeah, bottom line is that it's cheap, not crowded, and is in Portland in the Summer.
    Last edited by thekube; 05-07-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks Kube! I normally like to visit during July because it is craft beer month but since I am visiting friends this year, I want to schedule my trip around the festival. How many acts can you normally catch in one day? Are all the venues walking distance from each other? I really appreciate it, thanks again.

Thanks Kube! I normally like to visit during July because it is craft beer month but since I am visiting friends this year, I want to schedule my trip around the festival. How many acts can you normally catch in one day? Are all the venues walking distance from each other? I really appreciate it, thanks again.
    Made a little map of the most common venues to see shows:

http://goo.gl/maps/c6crP

It's an easy walk between the downtown spots that have "bigger" shows - Crystal Ballroom, Roseland, Pioneer Square are all within 6 blocks of each other. You can also walk to some of the inner East side venues (Doug Fir Lounge and Holocene) from there, slightly longer walk across the bridge.

The venues that are a little more out of the way are Aladdin Theater, Mississippi Studios, Wonder Ballroom, and Hawthorne Theater. For those it would be good to ride a bus or have a bike. Nothing is really that far, I walk to Wonder Ballroom and Hawthorne Theater sometimes, just a bit further than most people would want to walk.

Here is what the schedule was in 2011 for the night shows:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...st-nw-schedule

I coupled those with the KEXP day shows (4 a day):

http://blog.kexp.org/kexp-events/musicfest-nw-2011/

The first night it's just getting started and not that much going on, so you probably just pick up your wristband, stay at one place and watch a few bands at the same venue. The Kills kicked it off in 2011.

Then I would do the KEXP day shows, morning to afternoon.

Then early evening do the Pioneer Square stuff, which is like this:

4:00pm — 4:40pm - Eluvium at Levi's Pioneer Stage at Pioneer Courthouse Square
    5:00pm — 5:40pm - Typhoon at Levi's Pioneer Stage at Pioneer Courthouse Square
    6:00pm — 7:00pm - The Antlers at Levi's Pioneer Stage at Pioneer Courthouse Square
    7:30pm — 9:00pm - Explosions In The Sky at Levi's Pioneer Stage at Pioneer Courthouse

Then from there head to your venue of choice and catch maybe 3 shows to close out the night. Hard to jump venue to venue for back to back sets, but you could probably do a 9-10pm one place, then 11-12 somewhere else. There is definitely a good amount of downtime during the day where you just kinda chill around town since there isn't _always_ something going on like other festivals. But it's only 60 bucks for the festival ticket, which is about the cost of seeing a couple mid-level acts these days, so def worth it in my opinion.

hoping to be there this year, artist I manage might be performing.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Conflicts can be sort of brutal, last year's discussion earlier in the thread is a pretty good representation. I also find that despite my best intentions to see everything and all the things, I typically wind up picking a venue and hunkering down after a certain point in the night. Still, I will continue to go as long as I live here. It's always worth it.

Some of the venues are so far away to from the rest of the venues it almost doesn't seem worth it. Getting to the Hawthorne and the Aladdin would be such a mission. It seems like it would be best just to stay what's around burnside. The courthouse is a quick bike ride or max ride away. There's a good 8 or 9 venues that you can hit within a short 10 minute walk between them.

Sounds like this fest is a lot fun for the price. Conflicts are expected at every fest and the fact that some of the venues are out of the way can be a problem but overall I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks for taking the time in making that map, kube.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

There really is nothing quite like an evening spent basking in the fading sun as the soothing, dulcet tones of Swans wash over you and lull you into a soft silk euphoria. Good reference. Well-constructed joke.

Fucked Up, on the other hand, is a little less like an evening sun bask and a little more like a calming aural salve.

Sparklepony.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Sounds like this fest is a lot fun for the price. Conflicts are expected at every fest and the fact that some of the venues are out of the way can be a problem but overall I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks for taking the time in making that map, kube.
    Nothing is really out of the way. From a downtown location you can get to almost any place in under 10 mins by cab or Tri-Met.

Definitely easy to get to all the venues even without a car. Portland has a pretty good transit system in these areas. I love this fest! I have been a volunteer the last few years, and it has been a blast. Definitely worth the cash expenditure.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Definitely easy to get to all the venues even without a car. Portland has a pretty good transit system in these areas. I love this fest! I have been a volunteer the last few years, and it has been a blast. Definitely worth the cash expenditure.
    Agreed on the transit system. I've gone to the festival twice...flown in, caught the Trimet (http://trimet.org/max/) at the airport, taken it to downtown where I've stayed....it's very easy to walk to Pioneer Courthouse Square, Voodoo Doughnuts, and some of the other music venues (though not all).

I heard the headliners are Young the Giant, Neko Case, Head and the Heart, and Animal Collective.

Animal Collective's set up at Pioneer Square would be pretty cool