Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

Default Re: 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I thought the gorillaz sucked 2010 too...way too crowded and mediocre sound. Chella is great for a mainstream cheese fest. Los Angeles and Hollywood love that shit.
    Bingo
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    MAJOR FESTIVALS, dickhole. No one gives a shit if your favorite local hippie fest that attracts 20K offers superb camping spots and sick late nights to the tune of Dark Star Orchestra, Lotus and RAQ. I'm still waiting for you to provide a SINGLE example of a major music festival that provides you with this magic land of milk and honey that Coachella has thusfar denied you. Until you can show me such an example, all you've done is demonstrate that you basically don't like music festivals.

And I'm already about 100% positive you're going to mention Rothbury, the patron saint of perfect hippie music fests.
    Burning man?

I'll also say Bisco was great last year with SBTRKT, Bluetech, Cut Copy, Shpongle live, Ratatat, MSTRKFT, Ghostland, and Four Tet in a 16 hour span. I do things that last more than 10 hours, I need something past 1AM.

I mean I also am going to Detroit this weekend, but you don't camp there unless you really want to.
    Last edited by grannock; 05-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    2010. Its the only year in recent memory where i thought the lineup was head and shoulders above everything else. Coachella had some glory days, i would have loved to go in 06 but a cross county trip wasnt in my budget back then. Im not saying coachella sucks. Some of you act like it is the holy grail end all of festivals. It is actually pretty standard.

Ya, the fest is getting dramatically overblown and it makes it hard for giant camping groups of friends to do it like they did 5 years ago. Guess what that means, time to move on and let some unjaded kids have a ball in your place.

Also for the record, I was at the first bonaroo, back in 04 because I was traveling the country selling glass and back in 06 and 07 because the lineups were amazing. I would never go back to that shithole, ever. I'm not comparing coachella to bonaroo, both are well past their prime.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time.

- No late night. You are in the fucking desert and you are soposed to rage out at 1-3 PM instead of AM, stupid as fuck.
    I know i shouldn't feed into this but, just to clarify for the listeners at home, You went to Coachella once, in 2010. You had a bad time at the festival but still hang around the board with over 1,000 post. You don't think they will continue to book good enough acts, and the acts are mainstream, but want to see 20 and are sad about conflicts. Sorry you can't party later ? than what 2 or 3 ? I don't get why you keep posting if it was so disappointing.

I agree with you about crowd size and think it is too crowded and the worst for that was 2010. Earlier years and Fridays now definately had/have more managable crowds.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Burning man?

I'll also say Bisco was great last year with SBTRKT, Bluetech, Cut Copy, Shpongle live, Ratatat, MSTRKFT, Ghostland, and Four Tet in a 16 hour span. I do things that last more than 10 hours, I need something past 1AM.

Soooooooo..... what are your opinions of Camp Bisco's lineup this year? I mean, those are some awesome rare acts in Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Skrillex, A-Trak, Porter Robinson, Dada Life, Zeds Dead, etc.....

Also hasn't Burning Man gone from an attendee driven festival to just another $300+ overcrowded event that people go to just to go? I mean, that's what my buddy who was a burner in the 90's / early-2000''s says anyway.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 05-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    fuck.

I do things that last more than 10 hours, I need something past 1AM.
    So the recurring theme is... festival doesn't jive well with your drug use...

Sorry to hear that man... but that's what we call a "you" problem... not an issue with the festival itself.

Let me clarify. I had a great time at Coachella in 2010. I have an amazing time everywhere I go. That's the fucking point, if you bring the party (both literally and figuratively) it really doesn't matter where you land. Coachella is a good time, past its prime, and will cater to the 21 year old crowd until the end of time. It is designed to make butt loads of money, and is doing it very successfully. It is now a brand, nobody cares who is booked, it sells out in 2 hours. Times are changing, either change with them, or find a new place to hang out. Whining on the internet is never the answer.

I also never once complained about Coachella being overcrowded. I said overbooked, its two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Soooooooo..... what are your opinions of Camp Bisco's lineup this year? I mean, those are some awesome rare acts in Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Skrillex, A-Trak, Porter Robinson, Dada Life, Zeds Dead, etc.....

Also hasn't Burning Man gone from an attendee driven festival to just another $300+ overcrowded event that people go to just to go? I mean, that's what my buddy who was a burner in the 90's / early-2000''s says anyway.
    Bisco is god awful this year, along with basically everything. Burning Man will always be a paradise to those that contribute. People that go just to experience other peoples hard work will never understand.

I think Coachella does a pretty good job at trying to avoid conflicts for similar artists or artists that would have similar audiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

they did a great job this year. attracting idiots to one side while good bands played on another and fitting the good do lab djs between both

Burning Man will always be a paradise to those that contribute.
    Not necessarily. I know plenty of people that contributed to Burning Man for years that will never go again due to some of the same reasons you won't go to Coachella again.
    fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    thats because he is one of these same repeat elite with a new account.
    Or . . . OR! I have a semi-functioning brain with which I occasionally make arguments grounded in logic and reason. It's a change from the steady stream of arrogance, ignorance and an absolute paucity of self-awareness which tends to spew forth from most of the trogolodytes who populate any forum on the internet wherein people are allowed to express their opinions. You'll get used to it.

* Note: By "trogolodytes" I am totally not referring to anyone here. You guys are cool. I meant those other guys, elsewhere.

Burning man?

I mean I also am going to Detroit this weekend, but you don't camp there unless you really want to.
    I ask for major music festivals, and you give me Burning Man (which to my knowledge doesn't feature music), and Camp Bisco (which sold out last year at 25K tickets). You're really terrible at this.

MOAR ROCKS PICS PLEASE.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

5/22/2012 the day I wished this thread would die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
    This thread is in commemoration of the great music festival that was once Coachella.

Coachella was once a festival where a person could go and listen to music. Great music. Music that spanned generations and performances that were simply timeless. The lineup was diverse, the accommodations were minimal, but the experience was unforgettable. Hard to believe how far we have come...

Now, here we are. Thursday, May 17 2012. A day that will live in infamy for music lovers. What was once a music festival has transformed into a trendy LA rave. Gone are the days where one could go to discover new music. Coachella 2012's sahara lineup confirms what we have all feared, the era of good music has ended. Get ready to hear more of Levels, Feel So Close, and David Guetta in 2013. I heard all the sahara dj's are going to play a sick remix of Calling. Should be fun. The lineup has not even come out but it almost does not matter what is on it. Expect mainstream garbage. Expect the same lineup as EDC.

Coachella has successfully transformed into a trendy, mainsteam music festival. Have fun, ravers.
    Near as I could tell, you could still go to listen to great music at Coachella. And by the response of the crowd as Snoop and Dre shouted out for fans from 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years ago, the span of generations was still there, but the so-called gap between them didn't seem to be... Pretty timeless if you ask me. And, having the option of chillin' out and dosing off to Radiohead, or jumping around and fist-pumping to Guetta wasn't diverse enough for you, you had 5 more stages to choose from...how much more diversity does one need? And, before you go crediting the Sahara Tent for ending your era of good music, it obviously was opening doors for many others because, as a die-hard Sahara Tent fan who's practically camped out in there the last 2 years, the few times I was there this year, it was standing room only...hardly a sign that something is ending... more like evolving... something you should try if you ever expect to see how far Coachella will go, instead of writing it off as dead and dying... Sorry, but if selling out 2 weekends of presale passes, 11 months in advance without a lineup is dying, let me hear your definition of Coachella living... Oh, wait...nevermind.

"People on this board are going to hate on him, but don't worry there will be plenty of people thrilled about Tiesto, myself included.

WOW WHAT A LINEUP!!! Much better than last year, I am very..."
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Wakarusa has sunrise acts. It's not major, but it's not really super small either.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Phew, glad I'm not digging myself a hole for once.
    You and I, both! I am a little disgruntled that Tom never gave me a box of rocks... fucker.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Pretty sure that I did, actually.

I take this thread as a confirmation that Don McLean will play and he will re do the song American Pie except with the line, "Something touched me deep inside the day the Coachella Music and Arts Festival died" similar to how Coldplay re did yellow but replaced yellow with the word Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    MOAR ROCKS PICS PLEASE.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

You people... BOX of rocks. Jesus.