Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

Default Re: 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

i have been to festivals all over the world, my eyes have been open the whole time. thanks for telling me i am wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    I went to coachella once and would never go back. Nothing remarkable or special about the place, those of you that disagree need to open your eyes and travel.
    Nope, there's nothing special about being on the fringes of the Mojave desert. It's just an everyday thing.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

some of us enjoy music all over the mojave every weekend...Thing is, you can be somewhere low budget, with underground acts that most have never heard of, no huge lasers, gimmicks or hipster girls to drool over and have a better time than coachella based on the vibe alone. Being able to be yourself and move freely without being patted down or waiting in lines, no trash ect.

there are sooooo many music festivals out there or just gatherings that are on this whole other level. I never felt those kinds of vibes from coachella. I go to chella realizing it is a hipster,trend fest with big names and shiny objects. Its the one big clusterfuck I attend every year. I like it, but it is different. Sometimes cheese is good. I have had a better time at a 70$ festival with 1000 people there tho.

I went to coachella once and would never go back. Nothing remarkable or special about the place, those of you that disagree need to open your eyes and travel.
    Listen you condescending little asswipe. You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. "Special" is not an objective descriptive, but stupid is, and you are stupid.

I have traveled the world extensively. I have been to Macchu Pichu, I have been to Angkor Wat, I have been to the Taj Majal. I've driven the Scottish highlands north of Inverness and I've driven the German autobahn and I've driven the white-knuckle backroads of western Ireland. I've had blood sausage in Paris and I've had couscous in Tangier and I've had dried snake bought from a roadside stand in Cambodia. My eyes are wide open. And I think Coachella is a special place.

Now go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I only see in wide screen.

Wow Tom...chill out bud. Your getting a little worked up. BTW no body gives a shit where you have been

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
    The darkness drops again; but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i have been to festivals all over the world, my eyes have been open the whole time. thanks for telling me i am wrong, though.
    So coachella was the best fest in the world in 2012? Shity camp site, overbooked and overcrowded schedule, no late night of any kind, oppressive undercover force.

The only thing coachella had going for it was its diversity and ability to draw rare acts. You barely saw any of that in 2012, and you will see even less in the years come.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Listen you condescending little asswipe. You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. "Special" is not an objective descriptive, but stupid is, and you are stupid.

I have traveled the world extensively. I have been to Macchu Pichu, I have been to Angkor Wat, I have been to the Taj Majal. I've driven the Scottish highlands north of Inverness and I've driven the German autobahn and I've driven the white-knuckle backroads of western Ireland. I've had blood sausage in Paris and I've had couscous in Tangier and I've had dried snake bought from a roadside stand in Cambodia. My eyes are wide open. And I think Coachella is a special place.

Now go fuck yourself.

The girl that poped your cherry has gained 40 pounds and her mom is still a bitch. I get it though, she did spread them open for you first, and that is something you will never forget. Btw great job comparing cambodia to coachella.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Well, in fairness, he wasn't talking about hanging out with the Khmer Rouge in some sort of weird literalization of the Dead Kennedys song.

The girl that poped your cherry has gained 40 pounds and her mom is still a bitch. I get it though, she did spread them open for you first, and that is something you will never forget. Btw great job comparing cambodia to coachella.
    What was your first and only Coachella? Just curious.
    fuck.

no late night of any kind, oppressive undercover force.
    LOL this explains everything.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Who cares if some Bonnaroo faithful don't like Coachella? Do you like it? Then that is all that matters.
    For your health

So coachella was the best fest in the world in 2012? Shity camp site, overbooked and overcrowded schedule, no late night of any kind, oppressive undercover force.

The only thing coachella had going for it was its diversity and ability to draw rare acts. You barely saw any of that in 2012, and you will see even less in the years come.

lulz @ "oppressive"
    fuck.

So coachella was the best fest in the world in 2012? .
    I didn't go. But I'm going to respond to you as if I had, because you strike me as foolish and boorish.

Shity camp site,.
    You spelled "shitty" wrong. Also, have you ever been to any other camping festivals? Aside from the smaller fests which can afford to have perfect, grassy, picturesque locations for camping, it's plenty "shity" elsewhere. Go camp in the middle of a field in Tennessee and see how you like it.

overbooked and overcrowded schedule, .
    Would you like fewer bands? More stages? What? Any large music festival with more than two stages is going to have an "overbooked and overcrowded schedule." Go take a look at the schedules for Bonnaroo, or ACL, or Lollapalooza. Go on, I'll wait.

no late night of any kind, .
    Aside from Bonnaroo, what festivals have late nights? Unless you mean "late night" like Lolla, ACL, and Pitchfork have, where it's an extra ticketed show in a club somewhere. And I'm sorry that Coachella didn't book enough Van Halen cover bands to play from 2:00-4:00 a.m. for your tastes, but you can't please everybody.

oppressive undercover force. .
    Again, it's a MASSIVE MUSIC FESTIVAL. Local, state, and federal cops are well aware that people there are likely ingesting all kinds of substances. What on Earth do you think Coachella can do about this? And again, it happens everywhere. Every time I've been to Bonnaroo I've seen tons of people getting busted/hassled by undercovers. Sorry you can't huff paint thinner or whatever the fuck it is you like, but be a bit discrete about it and you won't have any problems.

The only thing coachella had going for it was its diversity and ability to draw rare acts. You barely saw any of that in 2012, .
    Yeah, I'm just going to check out all the other festivals that have Pulp, Refused, Company Flow, At The Drive In, Dr. Dre, Buzzcocks, etc.

and you will see even less in the years come.
    What is this statement based on? Anything? What are some rare acts that you think Coachella should have gotten this year, but didn't?

No lie, from your ramblings I think that it's more that you just don't like music festivals. The things you complain about, they're inherent to each and every one of them. You might want to rethink your plans, because if shit like this bothers you then you might just not be suited for this kind of thing.

Oh, and I hope you go broke.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    i'm guessing it was this year.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i'm guessing it was this year.
    I bet it's 2010 based on how "overcrowded" it was and the timeframe he joined the boards.
    fuck.

Phew, glad I'm not digging myself a hole for once.

Bwahahah. Credibility gone.

2010. Its the only year in recent memory where i thought the lineup was head and shoulders above everything else. Coachella had some glory days, i would have loved to go in 06 but a cross county trip wasnt in my budget back then. Im not saying coachella sucks. Some of you act like it is the holy grail end all of festivals. It is actually pretty standard.

Ya, the fest is getting dramatically overblown and it makes it hard for giant camping groups of friends to do it like they did 5 years ago. Guess what that means, time to move on and let some unjaded kids have a ball in your place.

Also for the record, I was at the first bonaroo, back in 04 because I was traveling the country selling glass and back in 06 and 07 because the lineups were amazing. I would never go back to that shithole, ever. I'm not comparing coachella to bonaroo, both are well past their prime.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time.

- No late night. You are in the fucking desert and you are soposed to rage out at 1-3 PM instead of AM, stupid as fuck.
    Last edited by grannock; 05-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.

I bet it's 2010 based on how "overcrowded" it was and the timeframe he joined the boards.
    I didn't think it was that overcrowded. I thought that they forced me to pick between Thom York and Plastikman and made me and everyone else see the trainwreck that was gorillaz for no fucking reason. This is a booking problem, not an overcrowded problem.

Larry, i'm not even going to respond to your post because you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. There are more than 3 festivals in this country.
    Last edited by grannock; 05-22-2012 at 01:25 PM.

I thought the gorillaz sucked 2010 too...way too crowded and mediocre sound. Chella is great for a mainstream cheese fest. Los Angeles and Hollywood love that shit.
    Last edited by Goatchella; 05-22-2012 at 01:40 PM.

"Thom York" and "the gorillas." Fuck this thread so hard.

Ya, the fest is getting dramatically overblown and it makes it hard for giant camping groups of friends to do it like they did 5 years ago. Guess what that means, time to move on and let some unjaded kids have a ball in your place.
    I have had friends each of the last two years who camped with groups that have no problem getting spots together. I have heard that has become a lot easier to do now.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement.
    I am not a fan of camping in general so I can't really form an opposing opinion here. However, I have seen camping spots where people have set up canopies and adjusted their campsite accordingly to offset the brutal sun.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds.
    I have never come across anyone who was paranoid at Coachella unless they were on too much of something.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time.
    Please tell me how this is different from any other comparable festival.

- No late night. You are in the fucking desert and you are soposed to rage out at 1-3 PM instead of AM, stupid as fuck.
    The city of Indio has a noise ordinance. There is nothing GV can do about that. Blame Insomniac for Nocturnal Wonderland 2000 at the Polo Fields.

I didn't think it was that overcrowded. I thought that they forced me to pick between Thom York and Plastikman and made me and everyone else see the trainwreck that was gorillaz for no fucking reason. This is a booking problem, not an overcrowded problem.
    Sooo... Coachella is the only festival with scheduling conflicts?? I'm confused here.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 05-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    fuck.

Also for the record, I was at the first bonaroo, back in 04 because I was traveling the country selling glass and back in 06 and 07 because the lineups were amazing. I would never go back to that shithole, ever. I'm not comparing coachella to bonaroo, both are well past their prime..
    The first Bonnaroo was 2002. I can only assume that you were so totally spunions on your epic glass selling adventure, brah, that years and jambands all run into one another. It happens.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement. .
    Here's where I await you giving an example of a major music festival with camping that doesn't suck. I'm not talking minor little 15-20K fests like All Good or Mountain Jam or wherever else your VW van has taken you, but large, major fests on the level of Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lolla, ACL, Outside Lands, Voodoo, etc.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds..
    ...and here's where I await you giving an example of a "good" festival where there is no threat of undercovers.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time. .
    ...and here's where I await you giving an example of a major festival that doesn't have tons of conflicts. Newsflash: if a fest has 5 stages, there will be 5 bands playing at once. And in a festival with 100K people attending, you can't put one, major band on with 4 bottom tier bands because you have to find a way to split the crowds. This isn't even something that you need to be a festival veteran to understand, this is just basic spacial reasoning.

I really don't have an answer for this except to say that there is only one camping festival that has late nights on site. Basically, you want Bonnaroo, only with nicer camping. Right?

Anyway, have fun selling glass on Phish tour or whatever, brah.

Larry, i'm not even going to respond to your post because you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. There are more than 3 festivals in this country.
    MAJOR FESTIVALS, dickhole. No one gives a shit if your favorite local hippie fest that attracts 20K offers superb camping spots and sick late nights to the tune of Dark Star Orchestra, Lotus and RAQ. I'm still waiting for you to provide a SINGLE example of a major music festival that provides you with this magic land of milk and honey that Coachella has thusfar denied you. Until you can show me such an example, all you've done is demonstrate that you basically don't like music festivals.

And I'm already about 100% positive you're going to mention Rothbury, the patron saint of perfect hippie music fests.

There was a group of like 9-10 people from Sweden and Norway at Lake Eldorado wknd 2 this year that apparently had no problems organizing getting out there. Yeah it's probably more difficult than it was in like 2008. But still definitely possible with some brainpower (and money). There was also plenty of shade located there. Seems like common sense if you're doing general camping to bring a canopy or something for extra shade.

Larry Farnsworth is too good to be a lurker.

thats because he is one of these same repeat elite with a new account.