Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

Default Re: 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

Funny, I'm old enough to remember saying Lollapalooza was dead by it's 3rd year. With anything, over time as the novelty wears off of nearly anything, things always seem to get worse. Today's generation EXPECTS things to feel new and different. Heck, by the second weekend most people didn't really get that excited by the Tupac hologram even though they spent a half a million to develop it. So relax dude, everything must be taken in by perspective. If this year was someone's first time, they probably thought the festival was awesome. If you've gone several times you'll always be saying "I remember how great it was that year they did.....".

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    The Sahara hasn't been excellent overall in years. It certainly hasn't since I started going back. With that being said, 2012 was the first year it was atrocious. 2010 Sahara had Plastikman, Orbital and 2manyDJs; 2011 had Sasha, Shpongle, Sven Väth and The Twelves. I still hold out hope 2013 will have a much better edm lineup and that includes the Sahara.
    as whiney as the OP is he's right (and the timing of his post pretty much confirms it's about his ticket), your hopes for 2013 I think are weak. Gone are the days when you could have an act like Kraftwerk close Sahara.

The ONLY hope hangs on the dynamics of the festival changing from a financial standpoint. Right now it's a well oiled machine and there's no reason to tinker, not even to make some sort of ironic hipster statement by bringing in obscure acts and placing them prominently in the schedule. EDM is approaching its golden age (from a popularity standpoint) in this country and the labels and promoters are going to cash in on the wave.

But the expanded grounds helped alleviate the congestion and foot traffic, no? To me, the last two years were fine. The crowd was a minimal issue. In 2010, yeah it was unbearably bad, but they seemed to have fixed those issues.

I really haven't felt like it was crowded at all the past two years.
    I totally agree. 2010 was the only Coachella that I thought was overcrowded, the past two years I've really had no issue with it at all. Other than the water stations of course.

Coachella is my baby! Stop talking trash about her! Sounds like someone didn't get the presale coachella tickets. Coachella isn't dead. Here's why. No other festival has Dr Dre and Mazzy Star NONE! Radiohead and Modeselektor were EPIC! the whole experience was so bad ass! I've gone to all 13 Coachella's and i will go to my 14th because there is nothing else like it. You go to the KROQ wennie roast then cause that was the worst line up EVER!) nothing else comes close! Nothing!
    [B]Darthlaker

Also the argument that you should avoid the Sahara and you'll be fine, is bullshit. You shouldn't have to avoid a tent at a festival that prides itself on getting a collection of great genre pushing/defining acts.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post

It seems like the most ridiculous lines I saw were for Water Refill stations (had to have been a 30+ minute wait), when one could just walk up to nearly any vendor and immediately get an ice cold bottle of water for $2.
    For reals. The rest of my group waited in line for the refills; they said they waited 20 mins at the most. I was like "fuck that, $2 waters please."
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

I had the most amazing Coachella this past year, and I only stepped in the Sahara tent once, and that was to catch part of SebastiAn's set (which was a good time for sure). I even saw about 50 acts in total. Just depends on the bands you choose to see. I had lots of conflicting bands I had to skip too. Do the research and make a good Coachella for yourself out of the 100 bands they give you. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone.
    -Zach

I don't know - and maybe this is just me - but I have no problem with a festival having a few acts that are enormously popular but that I can't stand (or even a tents' worth). While all of brostep legion is raging their balls off at Skrillex or Aviici or Guetta or whatever crap is going on, there will be plenty of space for me at whatever I like. I can't be at all 5 stages at once, so why not use one to attract all the idiots anyway? Coachella is trendy enough where you're going to get plenty of mouthbreathers regardless, so rather than having the dude in the vintage basketball jersey and the snapback "woo"-ing over your shoulder while you're trying to enjoy Slint or Beach House or whatever the fuck, be glad he's fist-pumping in a tent far, far away.

Larry, welcome to the forum. In your first couple of posts, you've said some pretty good stuff. Stick around.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Actually I have several friends from here(Palm Springs) who have been going since 02, and they tell me that the experience was very similar from 02-08.The first year they noticed a shift was 09(surprise surprise it was when EDM started blowing up, and the sahara started turning to shit).
    I went in 2001, 2002 and 2003 and, yes, the festival is "different" but what's everyone's point? We are a decade away from the "early years". I went from 01-03 and missed some solid years, but anyone who refuses to go because "it's just not the same" is doing nothing more than getting into their own head. It's one thing if you don't like a particular lineup... or if a life changing event arises... or you can't afford to go ... or you want to try something different. But this whole "it's not the same festival anymore" excuse is redundant because I am pretty sure no festival is the same as 10 years ago.

I know a small handful of old friends here in town who are still into the rave scene and used to go to Ultra and DEMF every year in the early 2000's. None of them go anymore because their same gripes about those festivals are the same ones a lot of the regulars here have. "It isn't the same" "It's not about the music" Blah Blah Blah....

It's the same bullshit I heard from the old school ravers and festival goers we used to hang out with 10 years ago. Obviously, people are at the end of the line with Coachella and that's perfectly fine, but this festival has evolved in a positive way over the years, not negatively.

2011, by most accounts, is one of the better years Coachella had. 2012 was a fucking blast... and just because there is one year of an abundance of shitty EDM, doesn't mean that is necessarily the direction the festival is going from now on. I have plenty of confidence that the EDM lineup will improve dramatically.

I went into this year a little less excited than I normally am. Even during day one, there were points early in the day that I wondered if it would be my final year. I had the same thoughts in 2010 as well. Both years ended up delivering despite a few obvious issues. After 2012 was over, I knew I was locked in for 2013.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Another bitter thread by some bitter asshole who didn't get selected out of the waiting room to get tickets on time. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    I don't know - and maybe this is just me - but I have no problem with a festival having a few acts that are enormously popular but that I can't stand (or even a tents' worth). While all of brostep legion is raging their balls off at Skrillex or Aviici or Guetta or whatever crap is going on, there will be plenty of space for me at whatever I like. I can't be at all 5 stages at once, so why not use one to attract all the idiots anyway? Coachella is trendy enough where you're going to get plenty of mouthbreathers regardless, so rather than having the dude in the vintage basketball jersey and the snapback "woo"-ing over your shoulder while you're trying to enjoy Slint or Beach House or whatever the fuck, be glad he's fist-pumping in a tent far, far away.
    Finally, a worthy noob.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    as whiney as the OP is he's right (and the timing of his post pretty much confirms it's about his ticket), your hopes for 2013 I think are weak. Gone are the days when you could have an act like Kraftwerk close Sahara.

The ONLY hope hangs on the dynamics of the festival changing from a financial standpoint. Right now it's a well oiled machine and there's no reason to tinker, not even to make some sort of ironic hipster statement by bringing in obscure acts and placing them prominently in the schedule. EDM is approaching its golden age (from a popularity standpoint) in this country and the labels and promoters are going to cash in on the wave.
    Dance music is in a similar state as it was 20 years ago when shitty acts like Crystal Waters, Ya Kid K and C and C Music Factory were getting tons of air time. This whole Guetta / SHM / Avicci wera will implode in a few years after it runs its course.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Larry, welcome to the forum. In your first couple of posts, you've said some pretty good stuff. Stick around.
    Just here to show all you squares some class. Yr. welcome.

That's why you never see Mayans in the Sahara tent. They knew this shit would end years ago.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Also the argument that you should avoid the Sahara and you'll be fine, is bullshit. You shouldn't have to avoid a tent at a festival that prides itself on getting a collection of great genre pushing/defining acts.
    Ahem.

Would I like them to have a few good electronic acts/DJs in the Sahara for me to catch? Sure.

Am I crying about it when I get to fill my schedule with tons of great acts on other stages? Nope.

For anything north of Sahara, this was the LEAST crowded of the 4 that I've attended - by far. I walked up in the middle of Squeeze's set and stood comfortably about halfway between the soundboard and the stage - and this is a band that plays the Greek. Selfishly, I'm all for the bro-magnet acts in the Sahara. Makes for a much better festival for rockers like myself.

I suppose that problems could pop up in the Sahara tent if/when there are some good EDM acts, but due to the fact that Red Bull Nation is currently CRUSHING IT BROS all day in there, they simply don't leave and everyone else gets shut out. Like, if you threw a Squarepusher or Actress set on in the middle of a non-stop day of wubble wobble, you'd potentially have a pissed off crowd eagerly awaiting the SICK DROPS and thus, ruining your live music experience.

Also, I'd like to see Squarepusher and Actress in 2013. And Simian Mobile Disco, even if that makes me a brother of the oontz.

To be fair, I do understand the gripes of EDM fans. Coachella used to be able to land acts that Insomniac and other promoters could not. 10 years ago you didn't see The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Faithless, Fatboy Slim, Plastikman, Sasha or Digweed playing many Insomniac / Go Ventures / B3Cande / Channel 36 (or any other southern california rave promoters) events. Coachella was able to get them. Now acts like Moby and Royksopp are playing EDC while Coachella gets Afrojack in back to back years.

I just don't think 2012 is going to be the norm. The festival will ALWAYS have popular EDM acts, but I don't think it will be devoid of quality EDM acts like this year was (for the most part).

Also, I'd like to see Squarepusher and Actress in 2013. And Simian Mobile Disco, even if that makes me a brother of the oontz.
    Yeah I agree with the others. Stick around.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Dance music is in a similar state as it was 20 years ago when shitty acts like Crystal Waters, Ya Kid K and C and C Music Factory were getting tons of air time. This whole Guetta / SHM / Avicci wera will implode in a few years after it runs its course.
    I don't see this as analagous to 20 year ago at all. Those old acts you mentioned made money selling albums, air time was what mattered.
    Today these guys pack festivals. 20 years ago kids were packing festivals to see Pearl Jam and Beastie Boys and Maaaybe some hip hop acts.
    There were no EDM acts at festivals back then. Now they're comfortable on the mainstage.

Yes I agree that acts like Avicii will die out in popularity, but some hybrid of that and whatever kind of live music exists in 10 years will be the aftermath, but who knows if festivals like Coachella will still be around then. In any case that's off in the future. For the next few years it'll be Skrillex and Avicii

Since I'm somewhat new to this (I do know what Coachella is, I tend to get oddly excited about the lineups every year even though I never go, and I check out the schedules and get jealous, but that's about it), what is the frequency with main stage EDM acts? Is there one every year (like this year and Swedish Fish Mafia), or is it just something that happens, but not always?

On a related note, if Underworld is there in 2013 (which I fully expect, don't let me down), would they be main stage?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I don't see this as analagous to 20 year ago at all. Those old acts you mentioned made money selling albums, air time was what mattered.
    Today these guys pack festivals. 20 years ago kids were packing festivals to see Pearl Jam and Beastie Boys and Maaaybe some hip hop acts.
    There were no EDM acts at festivals back then. Now they're comfortable on the mainstage.

Yes I agree that acts like Avicii will die out in popularity, but some hybrid of that and whatever kind of live music exists in 10 years will be the aftermath, but who knows if festivals like Coachella will still be around then. In any case that's off in the future. For the next few years it'll be Skrillex and Avicii
    You're right but we are only 13 months removed from a year that had Sasha, Sven Vath, Shpongle, Leftfield, The Twelves and several other good EDM acts. It was the year that was so successful it made them say, "Fuck it, let's do it two weekends."

Are we going to get Skrillex, Tiesto, Oakenfold, SHM, Avicii, Afrojack etc...? Absolutely, but I bet it's more like 2011 next year than 2012.

I had this discussion with Captn, Gribbz and Somewhat Damaged last friday night. I could be wrong with this, but it was almost as if 2012 was a trial run for the two weekends and they wanted to be absolutely certain it would sell out. What better way to do that than booking the biggest set of bro-centric DJ's and electronic acts Coachella has ever had?

My hope is that they recognize that they can sellout both weekends no matter who they put on the lineup and they introduce these cheesetards to some electronic music with some depth behind it. Wishful thinking? Grasping for straws? Possibly. But I just don't see 2013 having the same level of EDM trash as 2012.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 05-18-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Leftfield played the Mojave. The really great EDM acts that Coachella is still landing every year are starting to appear in that tent with more frequency.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    well said, i agree with everything you said. The size of the crowd is my main issue with Coachella, I dont think its gone downhill at all, just the audience its attracted through some questionable bookings.
    You never had issues with the audience at Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza? Lolla is 100 times more mainstream than Coachella ever would be. Just go to ATP from now on and call it a day.

My hope is that they recognize that they can sellout both weekends no matter who they put on the lineup and they introduce these cheesetards to some electronic music with some depth behind it. Wishful thinking? Grasping for straws? Possibly. But I just don't see 2013 having the same level of Sahara trash as 2012.
    I was thinking this exact same thing. Definitely hoping 2012 was a trial run, and that we can get back to business as usual (or as close to it as possible).

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Leftfield played the Mojave. The really great EDM acts that Coachella is still landing every year are starting to appear in that tent with more frequency.
    I wasn't restricting my post to the Sahara though. It was EDM in general. Modeselektor seems to be the top dance act of the weekend according to a few around here. Other than that I haven't heard too much positive feedback regarding anyone outside of them or Breakbot. Other than those two, the EDM was pretty weak no matter the stage. That's 2 acts..... Every other year, regardless of stage, had more than two.

EDIT: realized I incorrectly referenced the Sahara in that post. Edited it.

coachella is fine. sorry you didn't get tix.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Coachella is totally dead. No one should go.. Its just sooo popular now. I agree. I definitely didn't get my presale right at 10am and I am not pretty much already packed. Why would I want to do that? Its just not the same.. nope it has become something terrible. I agree 100%.!

I don't see the point in trying to change the minds of these people who are "over coachella" IMO I think its great. Go on hate it. Leave it to the folks who have always and will always love it.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Coachella has changed a lot over time. My first was in 2004. If you look at the line up for 2004 you can understand why I was hooked and went 9 years straight. I've seen it go from amazeball line ups with single day tickets to a three day clusterfuck. I think the biggest difference now is the people who attend. Like others have stated it is quickly becoming a place to be seen or to say you have been to. That's fine and I'm happy GV/Coachella has reached this level of success. It's just starting to turn into not my kind of thing. It happened with the rave scene in LA too. I remember the days when EDC was 20k max and it was held in awesome locations all different every year. now that turned into the must see/be at EDM event. The crowd it brings is lame. The old rave scene and people have moved on. It happens.

Yesterday I came home about 1pm ready to get my weekend 1 on payment plan. Saw there were only GA w/ shuttle pass left. I quickly understood what was happening. Called a friend and told them what was happening asked if they wanted to go to weekend 2. We both had the same reaction and decided to not buy. Sure enough about 15 minutes later every ticket was gone and you know what? I didn't care.

If I get a ticket in January cool I'll be happy. If not then that's fine time to move on to other shows. I've been wanting to check out ATP. maybe that's what I'll do.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13