Default Re: Coachella has officially "Jumped the Shark"

I had my childhood dog euphemismed.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac33 View Post
    You Idiots!!!!!

Jump the Shark is the euphemism (look it up retards) that was applied to a famous 70s-80s sitcom that ran too many years, too long. It starred Henry Winkler and Ron Howard (look them up too idiots). In one late year running episode, Winklers character the "Fonz" jumped a pool full of sharks, hence the name. Total sell out. Just like Coachella has now morphed into.

With the advent of too much EDM, too many posers and super high prices ($6 for 3 Advil??????) Please. It's over. It's no longer cool. For fuck sakes the Hoff is a regular.

But all you fucking idiots are giving up your hard earned cash interest free for 11 months for a concert where the bands will not even be announced for another 8 or 9 months!!!!!!

Pathetic. You fucking losers.

I hope Brittney Spears and Jay Blo are the headliners along with One Direction and Wanted (look them up and start downloading-may as well get used to it).

You all deserve what you get you stupid sheep fucks....
    "No I have nards... Single Dad, hoping to have a chance to hooook up while I'm there, him to. Mom and Daughter team would be awesome.. "
    I imagine without tickets for this year, those nards of yours are turning the same shade as your attitude...a pretty shade of blue...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

The condiments in plastic squeeze bottles is the reason I don't buy VIP. I have lots of money though.

INCONCEIVABLE

pussy

And I'm even more confused now, why would Goldenvoice have to 'tailor' to anyone.... they're selling out within hours.

But the way that GV is dissing its loyal patrons by creating hysteria almost a year in advance, without the acts even being announced is unconscionable.
    Please stay in Canada. Have you ever heard of this little known festival called Glastonbury?

Last edited by Relic; 05-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.

All those loyal attendees like you that have been going since a month ago. Go double team an old lady with your son
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I jacked off 4 times today all before work! true story!
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I travelled from Toronto to attend. I know the area, which I love. Any festival put on in that area will be special, the desert, the mountains, the heat. Amazing. But at one time it was THE festival, with THE bands. Sadly not any more. Many will decide not to travel to CA for the same music you can expierience closer to home. Thats the fact. The best thing that Coachella has is location and that they are the first out of the shoot.

When will they start to tailor bands to the new "wider" audience they are attracting? Sooner than you think I bet.

But the way that GV is dissing its loyal patrons by creating hysteria almost a year in advance, without the acts even being announced is unconscionable.
    lol canada
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I travelled from Toronto to attend. I know the area, which I love. Any festival put on in that area will be special, the desert, the mountains, the heat. Amazing. But at one time it was THE festival, with THE bands. Sadly not any more. Many will decide not to travel to CA for the same music you can expierience closer to home. Thats the fact. The best thing that Coachella has is location and that they are the first out of the shoot.

When will they start to tailor bands to the new "wider" audience they are attracting? Sooner than you think I bet.

"Don't it make your old nards blue?"
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

There has already been a tailoring to a "wider" audience in the Sahara tent specifically, and this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board. Do I miss the old sahara tent? Yes. Am I feeling RAGE for it changing? No. Because I believe in truth and reason. I always see this apocalyptic argument: Watch out for them making a lot of money, then ALL OF THE BANDS WILL BE NICKELBACK INSTANTLY!!! Talk to me when that happens. Until then I'm unconcerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

You are aware, that Glastonbury sells out without a lineup, and the headliners in 2011 were U2, Coldplay, and Beyoncé, right?
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

As a loyal patron, I feel no disrespect. I know the lineup will be ace and I'll have an amazing weekend. No worries. I'm happy for the layaway payment option.

You, who are not a loyal patron, are getting hysterical because you couldn't hack it. Get over it. If it's really this big a deal, take your single-year memories, pack up and get the fuck out of here. Good riddance.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

epic?????

you have no idea what epic means you old hag.

I gotta agree here, at least on a personal level.

It's a bit ridiculous that Coachella is selling out 11 months in advance... and yeah, I know it's not fully sold out, but the actual sale for 2012 was a clusterfuck too and I expect the 2013 one to be similar. I am really put off by the fact that I have to plan and buy tickets one month after getting back from this year's Coachella, and I kind of yearn for the past when it wasn't this intense at any point of the process.

I totally don't blame GV for any of this, I think it's pretty remarkable that the demand for this festival is so ridiculously high now, but I personally kind of just don't want to deal with it. It's more expensive now, way more difficult to get a ticket, and the Sahara lineup is a diseased corpse compared to what it once was.

so you complain about the "mainstreaming" of coachella when this year had probably the most mainstream EDM lineup in the festival's history. why did you decide to pull the trigger for 2012 if this is such a concern for you?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

you should move to canada
    =)

Good point. Fact is if GV starts to delineate much more (as in the advent of so much EDM), what's next? If you have the money in the bank ahead of time why pay $2MM for a great band for 2 weekends when you can get away with $500K for a mediocre one hit wonder???
    Uhhh, the one-hit wonders (Avicii, for example) cost more than the few great DJs/producers that played this year. If anything, we can count on more expensive cheesedick EDM at the expense of better, cheaper artists.
    Last edited by greghead; 05-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

dissing loyal patrons? many of us loyal patrons have no problem buying tickets to the fest with no lineup because gv has built up a trust with us and we know the lineup will be amazing because of what we have been a part of for many, many years.

You seriously typed this and thought it made sense? Your first year was last year and you're considering yourself a "loyal patron?" It doesn't matter that this was a year beforehand either. There is hysteria WHENEVER the tickets go on sale for Coachella. The bigger and more popular the festival becomes, the more hype there is to the ticket sales. What part of that doesn't make sense to you and what part of that is GV's fault?

You paid for VIP your first year and didn't like it and now you're on here bitching because you didn't get tickets. You're the worst type of person there is.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    dissing loyal patrons? many of us loyal patrons have no problem buying tickets to the fest with no lineup because gv has built up a trust with us and we know the lineup will be amazing because of what we have been a part of for many, many years.
    That's funny, I said this exact same thing last year and then got Avicii And Friends Super Happy Uplifting Cheesehouse Weekend to show for it

Fact is I was a first year attendee in 2012 and loved it. I paid for VIP cause I can and although, to me, it was worth it, it was stupid expensive to buy anything. I don't think Pearl Jam ever thought that you would have to pay $12 for a Ruth Chris steak sandwich (with condiments only available by way of plastic squeeze packages). Or bottle service would be available in a special roped off area (within VIP) if you committed to pay exorbinate prices to elbow up next to the Winkelvoss's in the Rose Garden. I seen the kids line up 30-40 deep just for free water. How is that fair? I handed out free water all weekend and bought lots of beers for kids who were much appreciated. It should be the same expierience for all. That was the original intention.

There is no excuse for making pre tickets available one year in advance and then selling out the allotment in 2 hours. Inexcuseable. The people that need to pay in installments are for all truth and reason the real Coachella lovers. Many, but not all of the rest are posers. I went for the music and loved my time there, but not again. Been there, done that, got the $45 Radiohead Tshirt.
    I stopped there... You're the poser. Get the fuck out.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Good point. Fact is if GV starts to delineate much more (as in the advent of so much EDM), what's next? If you have the money in the bank ahead of time why pay $2MM for a great band for 2 weekends when you can get away with $500K for a mediocre one hit wonder???
    Why did they pick Jack Johnson to headline in 2008? This issue you fear is nothing new for this festival. There's usually one wet-fart headliner anyway each year. And they could have pulled this shit for 2012 if they really wanted. The Sahara tent is selling tickets: simple as that. And that...is...just...one...tent... This festival is not yet completely EDC, nor will it be.

Did they have to stage anyone on the Outdoor theatre during SHM? Probably not, if the festival was a focused upon developing a specific, shitty electronic audience. Instead they had Refused play, and it was fucking awesome. This is why I'm not that concerned.

And what Greghead said. SWM will disappear at one point, riding their laser rig into VH1 decade retrospective oblivion. And I'm sure they cost a fortune more than most of the other bands or headliners in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Whoops! Posted almost the exact same thing as you ... and my name is Steve too. Now I'm just weirded out, haha

If you have the money in the bank ahead of time why pay $2MM for a great band for 2 weekends when you can get away with $500K for a mediocre one hit wonder???
    because this is goldenvoice and the people that run it from top to bottom are about the fans in a way you will never, ever know, you fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    That's funny, I said this exact same thing last year and then got Avicii And Friends Super Happy Uplifting Cheesehouse Weekend to show for it
    see my avatar. no sahara for me = no worries this was my favorite coachella lineup-wise for my tastes in the 9 years i have gone. can't wait to hit a decade next year.

First of all fuckwad, I never included myself in the "loyal" patrons aspect. Secondly, where did I ever say I didn't like this years festival. I LOVED it, it was amazing. I thought the music mix was a little heavy on the EDM side, but overall it was amazing. I just want to see some fuck like GOTYE headlining next year, as that is my fear. Oh and Glastonbury has a 37 year reputation to fall back on as far as advanced sales are concerned....
    i read this like 3 times and i still don't get it.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    I think it's every band and festival organizers dream to eventually "Jump the Shark" whether they admit it or not.

I'm just hoping there's a Walmart in the next Coachella!
    Special camping at the La Quinta Walmart ?

First of all fuckwad, I never included myself in the "loyal" patrons aspect. Secondly, where did I ever say I didn't like this years festival. I LOVED it, it was amazing. I thought the music mix was a little heavy on the EDM side, but overall it was amazing. I just don't want to see some fuck like GOTYE headlining next year, as that is my fear. Oh and Glastonbury has a 37 year reputation to fall back on as far as advanced sales are concerned....
    hahaha, thanks for this awesome reply!!

If you "LOVED" the festival, why are you bitching so much? There's still some Eldorado spots you can get with all your money man ... but god forbid you let GV have it interest free!!! That $4 is really gonna be the difference if you can make it or not?

And if you aren't including yourself as a "loyal patron" then why do you keep speaking on "our" behalf???