Thread: Other Festival Recommendations

Cool Other Festival Recommendations

So, this was my 5th consecutive year at Coachella and it was defintely my last time (for a while). I love the festival, I love the lineups and the vibe but I just don't feel that magic I felt in 2008 anymore. Besides, I have to do some serious spending to get from El Salvador to California each year and I don't think it's worth it anymore.

I think I might be taking a festival break next year, but I will definitely be back on the circuit in 2014.

The question: Based on your experience, which other US Festival would you recommend checking out?
    Last edited by MassiveChemicalPunk; 05-16-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

Default Re: Other Festival Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveChemicalPunk View Post
    So, this was my 5th consecutive year at Coachella and it was defintely my last time (for a while). I love the festival, I love the lineups and the vibe but I just don't feel that magic I felt in 2008 anymore. Besides, I have to do some serious spending to get from El Salvador to California each year and I don't think it's worth it anymore.

I think I might be taking a festival break next year, but I will definitely be back on the circuit in 2014.

The question: Which other US Festival do you think is definitely worth checking out?
    I would definitely check out the Other Music Festival sub-forum
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

uh, yeah, there's an entire forum devoted to this. Why don't you click around and read what people think about them.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Thanks for the help, but I actually want personal recommendations. I know of the existance of all those fests. I do read. But, I want to invest my money on something really worthwhile. I have been thinking of Bonnaroo, Oustide Lands or Sasquatch.

And also, some of you have actually been to some of these, so, you know what the fuck is up.

Tennessee is not closer to El Salvador than California is.

edit: Actually I don't know if that's literally true or not. My point is, it's almost certainly just as hard and expensive to get to Manchester, Tennessee as it is Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Tennessee is not closer to El Salvador than California is.
    I know Tom. It's not about the money, Im just bored with Coachella.

Try the festival subforum.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

And also, some of you have actually been to some of these, so, you know what the fuck is up.
    Er, yeah, exactly, you can find crazily detailed write ups, photos, etc in those threads. just run searches. i'm just saying that everything you want is right there
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Ok cool. Thanks Drinkey.

what do you think goes on in the festival subforum?

edit: was writing it while drinkey was hitting the post button.

short answers: Bonnaroo is like Coachella except the men are dirtier and the women are uglier but the drugs are much more out in the open and while it's humid it's not quite so hot and there are trees.

ACL is like Coachella except that the men are older and the women are older and uglier and the beer is everywhere and it can be hot as fuck and plus it's a lot of Ryan Adams-type stuff which some people don't like so much. But, my most-favorite-ever shows by LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, and Wilco were all at ACL, so it does seem to bring out great performances.

SXSW is completely different and a huge blast but a totally different thing.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Sasquatch is smaller than the other festivals (I think around 20-25,000 people?), and the weather is changeable (could be hot, could be wet, could be COLD), but it has a pretty good vibe. People there are more polite than at other festivals, and it does not seem quite as druggy as Bonnaroo and Coachella. The food is really bland and boring. Try camping at the Wild Horse campground -- not quite as noisy as the main campground, there are showers, a coffee bar, and the little restaurant stand with pretty good food, and FREE SHUTTLES to the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I decided to take a break as well and not bothering with tomorrow's pre-sale.... I'm hitting up Lolla and Outside Lands for the first time this year so I'll write up my thoughts on the festival sub-forum. Next year I'm also planning on either Sasquatch (since I've been dying to get to The Gorge) and/or Bumbershoot in Seattle... I've done Bonnaroo once, the walk between stages and the humidity suck balls big time!

5/03 Danny Brown at El Rey
    5/23-25 Sasquatch! at The Gorge
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival at Echoplex
    6/22 Talib Kweli at Echoplex
    7/11 J5 / Quannum Projects at Greek Theatre Berkely
    8/25 - Nine Inch Nails / Soundgarden / Death Grips at Hollywood Bowl

corn and leno

how far is it between the stages and the humidity at bonnaroo?

Pitchfork is in a small area, which was nice when it didn't sell out and not so nice now that it does. You can get close to the stages, but you're also pretty crowded in once people flock to an area. It can be really hot, and sometimes really humid since it's in Chicago in the summer. That said, they have some really good lineups if you like current indie rock, and it's very well priced. They used to have a good beer selection, but I hear it's now the standard Heineken thing. They're in the middle of Chicago, and they always have good aftershows throughout the city. You can take the El right to the festival, so it's really easy to get to and drinking isn't an issue. I've had a blast every time I went.

ATP skews noisier and more obscure in their tastes. If the lineup works for you, it's the best festival ever. They sell a small amount of tickets for the fests and people stay in a small town area around the venues. There isn't a real back stage, the artists stay with the fans, there is (usually) great sound, and they get some fantastic performances. The crowds are the best I've ever experienced, and it's always a booze and craziness filled escape from the real world: like summer camp for music nerds, you go to an awesome place for a weekend then think about it for the rest of the year. I cannot recommend ATP highly enough (and they do them in England as well.)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

how far is it between the stages and the humidity at bonnaroo?
    Just a drop, rip, and bump away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Lollapalooza is alright. I went in 2010 and one day in 2009, saw some great bands, but I don't think I'll go back. It's just too crowded (though I've heard they've opened a few streets up to deal with the capacitys since then) and at Coachella it's easier to move between stages and you can get a really good spot for a set and not have to show up 30 minutes or more before it starts. Both main stages are at opposite ends of the park and to get from one to the other can be a hassle depending on the time of day. The crowd (and the lineup, for that matter) are skewed towards younger folks - last year's headliners were Eminem, Foo Fighters, Muse, Coldplay, My Morning Jacket and Deadmau5. As bmack said about Pitchfork, it does get hot and humid in Chicago during the summer.

One good thing about Lolla is that it is easy to get to - Grant Park is right there in the city, so you can just walk to the park (if you're staying downtown), take an El train, or park your car nearby. Also, they have lots of great food stands, and beer and wine for sale that you can take with you everywhere.
    Last edited by zircona1; 05-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Thanks for the input guys! ATP sounds amazing Bmack.

I think I would avoid Lolla because of the crowd. I want to change setting/crowd and Coachella/Lolla are too similar in those aspects.

Sasquatch, ATP, and maybe ACL or OSL are sounding nice.

short answers: Bonnaroo is like Coachella except the men are dirtier and the women are uglier but the drugs are much more out in the open and while it's humid it's not quite so hot and there are trees.
    sorry but this is wrong on so many levels.

i'm going to keep it short. if you love yourself, for the love of god don't go to bonnaroo. it's a bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Thumbs up Re: Other Festival Recommendations

I suggest checking out www.fletchfest.com

Its a smaller event where goers are well taken care of. Worth checkin' out!!!

PANAMA RED! PANAMA RED! HE'LL STEAL YOUR WOMAN, THEN HE'LL ROB YOUR HEAD!

People hate on Outside Lands, but I love it. It's in a gorgeous location (San Francisco's Golden Gate Park), you're surrounded by lush trees and vegetation the whole time. A real beautiful environment. It's especially great for foodies. They focus on gourmet foods from the bay area, wine tasting from SF and Napa, as well as the music. The experience is more holistic.

Only draw back: way expensive. Tickets are over $100 less than Coachella, but there's no camping, etc. You have to get a hotel or crash at someone's place which isn't the easiest thing to do in SF.

If that's not an issue for you, you will have an amazing time. Awesome environment, very friendly people, laxed security, delicious food and beverage, and diverse but excellent music. I'm going again this year.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"