Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FanstastiFest 2012

Default Re: FanstastiFest 2012

The funny thing is, people waited 6 hours in line on Thursday, whereas we waited.....1 hour in line on Friday. Though perhaps he was being ironic.

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

going in friday morning was one of the best decisions ever.

I don't really see the gripe about the line in on Thursday, it was a wonderful chance to drink a bottle of tequila and get to know my neighbors and new friends I was camping with. I felt it was a really great opportunity to take in the landscape rather than rush past it. I guess those who wanted Coachella got a good mind fuck. The festival didn't even really start until Friday and even then, not everything was completely finished. Only so much organizers can do about mother nature.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I've been on line for 12 hours one time to get through the line for a nameless festival a few miles up the road. 6 hours is a fucking cakewalk, especially if the weather's nice during the wait.

I doubt the douchebag in the fedora was being ironic. You guys are amateurs for not shitting in his cooler.

I never said I didn't shit in his cooler, jack.

I enjoyed the wait. I just blasted some funk, kicked back with a beer, and took in the scenery. I was so happy to be there it didn't matter that we had to wait so long.

out of curiosity, wast the lineup off the highway or were you stacked up on 447?

on thursday it was off nixon rd for a little stretch, I got in line around noon, we sat there for about 20 minutes before the line starting moving 10-15 cars forward every 10-15 minutes... super mellow...not too many cutters

one guy in front of us rode by hitching rides while he rolled in on some skates

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    on thursday it was off nixon rd for a little stretch, I got in line around noon, we sat there for about 20 minutes before the line starting moving 10-15 cars forward every 10-15 minutes... super mellow...not too many cutters

one guy in front of us rode by hitching rides while he rolled in on some skates
    fucking hipster. as if you're supposed to believe he traveled from home that way. cooler shittee

All my pictures of FantastiFest 2012

edit:

can't post pics in here due to album title; mainly a few photos showing the land, some of the people, but I was taken in by the surroundings most of all and had only 1 battery charge for the weekend
    Last edited by Mugwog; 05-26-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Some nice pix Eric. Glad we got to meet up for Max Cooper. We should meet up again for some shows the next time I'm in LA.

I have a feeling you all are going to pummel me for saying this, but I really don't understand the appeal of this festival. From the photos, it seems like you could just go camping with a few relatively creative and interesting friends and then attend a few shows of whatever music from the lineup, and have basically the same experience without spending $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I have a feeling you all are going to pummel me for saying this, but I really don't understand the appeal of this festival. From the photos, it seems like you could just go camping with a few relatively creative and interesting friends and then attend a few shows of whatever music from the lineup, and have basically the same experience without spending $300.
    This could be a response for any festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    This could be a response for any festival.
    I actually thought about that before posting. This could just be a cultural disconnect because the festival isn't my thing (I'm not a burner either), but it seems to me that if I'm going to spend $300 on a festival, I generally expect the following:

1) A few big name acts that would command more than $15 or $20 for a solo show, and/or rare live performances, and/or a newly-reunited band
    2) A bunch of buzz bands or smaller lesser known bands that I really want to check out
    3) Major production value and/or some sort of spectacle and/or really good sound
    4) Some sort of added value above the music -- great setting and/or food and/or interesting non-music activities, etc.

I guess the fest does have a few of those things, but just not in enough concentration for me to understand the appeal.

Minilogue was supposed to be a pretty rare performance

Different strokes different folks Courtney. This festival was worth every penny of the $230 I spent on it, and I'm not a burner either. Just because it's not Coachella doesn't mean it isn't awesome. Also I dgaf about buzz bands/spectacles. The landscape (and the stages/festival area) itself was plenty of a spectacle. Plus it was intimate. How often do you get intimacy at music festivals anymore?

Great pic!

I am all for festivals with intimacy, and actually tend to quite prefer boutique festivals to larger ones. Perhaps I just don't get it because of my lack of EDM knowledge -- Minilogue means nothing to me. I guess I was just expecting to look at the photos and get more of a sense of stages and performances and whatnot.

In any case, I'm glad you guys enjoy it. That's what matters anyway. I'll continue on being a fangirl about fuzzy 80s and 90s rock, and the festivals that entails.

This one is interesting, too.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I actually thought about that before posting. This could just be a cultural disconnect because the festival isn't my thing (I'm not a burner either), but it seems to me that if I'm going to spend $300 on a festival, I generally expect the following:

1) A few big name acts that would command more than $15 or $20 for a solo show, and/or rare live performances, and/or a newly-reunited band
    2) A bunch of buzz bands or smaller lesser known bands that I really want to check out
    3) Major production value and/or some sort of spectacle and/or really good sound
    4) Some sort of added value above the music -- great setting and/or food and/or interesting non-music activities, etc.

I guess the fest does have a few of those things, but just not in enough concentration for me to understand the appeal.
    for comparison, there's as many big name and buzz acts here as there are at ATP. but, like ATP, if you're not into the scene it's hard to pick up on. maybe it falls a little short of ATP in terms of headliner/reunion bands, I'll give you that. there's also a lot of djs from abroad that we couldn't get by having a small gathering amongst friends and don't get a chance to see often even in a major city.

as for production value, they have the most beautiful stages I've ever seen. nobody puts as much effort into stage design as they do. and the rest of the production value is getting everything & all the artists out into the middle of nowhere. we got to see some of our favorite artists in a spectacular natural location. I think that is fair exchange for any artificial production value you're thinking of.

and it goes way WAY beyond the music. there was all sorts of art work you could view and climb on, carnival acts, trapeze artists, fire & other dance performances, workshops, etc. one of my favorite moments was when I was wondering around the village one night and stumbled across some spoken word peformances under one of the art installations. we then wandered over to the heart beat amplifier and watched/felt our hearts beat. the whole place just feels surreal. as far as "beyond the music" other festivals pale in comparison. nobody went to this festival just for the music, they went for the overall experience.
    Last edited by shakermaker113; 05-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.

That makes sense. I am glad you guys had a good time

Shakermaker makes the shaker once again. Well said my friend. This festival was definitely more than just music.

yeah, numbers 3 and 4 are pretty much what symbi is better at than most festivals. they had funktion1 sound.. and Surround sound under the pyramid.. everyone sounded great that i saw... and there was this little eclipse thingy in the sky that was quite the spectacle if you ask me. There were also 3 stages dedicated to non-musical activities, and some of the music stages had live art performances at times.

there's more to this festival than the music, but that is the focal point. We got to see some great music last weekend in one of the most beautiful venues I've ever been to.

also, i think most of everyone that went can agree that we did not know a good chunk of the line up when it got announced. I don't see how it's any different from researching the bottom lines at coachella. I know I stumbled onto some sets of people i've never heard or seen and had a crazy good time.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 05-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    yeah, numbers 3 and 4 are pretty much what symbi is better at than most festivals. they had funktion1 sound.. and Surround sound under the pyramid.. everyone sounded great that i saw... and there was this little eclipse thingy in the sky that was quite the spectacle if you ask me. There were also 3 stages dedicated to non-musical activities, and some of the music stages had live art performances at times.

there's more to this festival than the music, but that is the focal point. We got to see some great music last weekend in one of the most beautiful venues I've ever been to.

also, i think most of everyone that went can agree that we did not know a good chunk of the line up when it got announced. I don't see how it's any different from researching the bottom lines at coachella. I know I stumbled onto some sets of people i've never heard or seen and had a crazy good time.
    Venue was amazing, the mix of music brought me actually away from my usual beat oriented agenda. Random Rab's set before eclipse - eerily perfect for the setting and I wasn't familiar with most artist, thank you Cara for informing me I was at Damian Lazarus after the Max Cooper set.

Although Max Cooper was at 2pm in the sun, there was a perfect breeze, and it seemed during the whole weekend, the weather accompanied the music quite well. I never had a moment where I felt like I was dying from the heat at Coachella.

The lectures and workshops and various interactive events were a huge plus for me, it was very refreshing to get a sound bath on sunday. Also, as mentioned above: You could climb/interact with the art freely. Everyone seemed to be obsessed with the rotating butterfly tower near the terrace camping.

One thing I really enjoyed was the people, not only did I make some new friends within my own camp, it seemed every person was very approachable. I feel this vibe used to be at Coachella, but now is filled with sneers and guys thinking you want to steal their girlfriend. Not Fantastifest 2012. People constantly complemented each other, caused comical mischief (squirt guns/fake rattle snakes/etc). I spoke to quite a few of the locals when I was doing volunteer parking on Friday night, a lot of them were very interested in the event and enjoyed the vibe we brought to the land.

I'm glad a lot of the controversy washed over, of course there were some complaints, but it felt very 1st world problems, such as the people who demanded refunds off the bat. Idiots: Rarely do any concerts provide refunds & why would an event provide a refund due to windy conditions that were a possibility and also out of there control. That's like all of us Coachella fanatics demanding a refund due to no recycle-saurus and rainchella.

Oh yeah, that whole neon glowing orange circle in the sky looking like some cosmic eye of sauron was pretty cool too. Apparently some fungus caused me to see a great vision in the sky above us also during the full alignment.

Courtney: I wish I didn't leave my battery charger at home for the weekend or I would have more pictures, I have a few videos I'll upload to that photobucket album soon. There was one during Random Rab, but for the most part I conserved my battery for the landscapes. I definitely want to revisit Pyramid Lake, hopefully I can shoot a few scenes of a project I'm developing there and travel/work on the same dollar.

GPS: Glad you like my "MMO Wizard" series for a project I got lazy on
    Last edited by Mugwog; 05-28-2012 at 02:54 PM.

These tales will offer no solace to your wretched scaly whelps.

There is nothing great about any of Mugwog's pictures beyond the fact that you fapped to them, GPS.