Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FanstastiFest 2012

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default FanstastiFest 2012

observe the rules

Default Re: FanstastiFest 2012

just got back last night and wow. that was something else. So many hiccups happened before, during and after the weekend and it did not even close take away from the experience because that was absolute magic out there.

was it unorganized chaotic and frustrating? holy shit, YES. and def. disorganized at all times it seemed. but you know what, those people out there created something special and held it together the best they could, and it was enough. There was a water refill station, atm, medic tent, facepalm glasses, plenty of food, and they even sold chapstick at the merch booth. they worked so hard for us and I am incredibly appreciative.

oh, it was fucking beautiful...

My camp, and the view from it...

friend during sunset:

the back my favorite stage:

and the front:

mum's the word, commence..
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 05-22-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Quite possibly the most magical weekend I've had in a long time, this festival was the relaxation and revitalization I needed. Definitely did not get that at Chella this year. The vibe from just about every single person was friendly and open to conversation with a stranger, everyone was gifting one another left and right. I ended up camping with some of the best company you could end up with. It was wonderful to meetup with some of the boardies and dance to Max Cooper with the breeze cooling us from the Sunday sun. The lake was very refreshing, and thankfully the weather kept my body from getting too sweaty, so I really didn't even need to shower during the weekend.

The vendor food was amazing, I haven't had a raw vegan meal that actually filled my stomach properly before. The mini-curry was delish! I could rant about this weekend for a good minute, but I'll post some pictures soon which will more than suffice the beauty of where we were at.

I also have never spent that much on vendors at a festival before, there was something just right about this place.

How was 5-7 on Sunday?

Is this the Sym somethin something fest?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Is this the Sym somethin something fest?
    no it is not.

How was Flipper's facepalm set?

I demand eclipse pictures.

a few people took pics of it from here...we'll see. That was a weird weird moment. The best part was looking around and seeing how the landscape changed with the absence of most of the sun. surreal desert. All day leading up to the eclipse the birds were going crazy flying around chaotically every where, which hadn't happened at the fest yet, mostly animal free besides the flies. then when the eclipse started, they started to calm, and all landed, facing the lake, tranquil. the energy was amazing.

tipper's set after the eclipse was nice, we could hear it clearly from camp so we didn't really feel like hiking up there to see it because it was so hot that day.. it was mainly just old downtempo songs with some of the newest downtempo album. nothing special (edit: to me because it reminded me of a previous downtempo set i saw), but flawless as always.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 05-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Random Rab's performance that was before the eclipse really set the mood for the cosmic event. Seeing this bright orange O staring at you through these dark glasses was one of the most surreal moments of my life. The 10g monster mush I had also gave me an amazing vision when I brought my eyeline between the solar glasses and the border of the glasses/sky: It brought the orange O into the vast blue sky with small patches of clouds half way visible around it, along with a rainbow haze that filled the sky like an aura....

I hope those of you who were there also got to see the gigantic falling star on Sunday night an hour or so after Little Dragon. It fell past the mountains behind the camping grounds next to the art. It was definitely the biggest falling star I had ever seen, a really great sight to end the weekend.

Best weekend of my life holy shit. Such a special, unique event that I will remember vividly for years to come.

It was really nice to meet all you boardies too!

Who saw Christian Martin on Friday? Dude fucking threw down.

IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME.

Sun stage 4 lyfe. Those funktions were blowing my mind all weekend.

Sunday was one of the best days of my life. I cant wait for Fanstastifest 2013. Met a couple bona fides and they seemed pretty cool and were not upset with what was going on. Will FanstastiFest be invited back?
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

Unless the fesitval was a straight up windfall for the bona fides and the surrounding counties didn't have too much hassle with traffic then perhaps there might be a chance. But it remains to be seen how much impact it had.

One thing's for sure. The massive windstorms that wreaked havoc last week before the opening will give them pause before jumping right back into the spot. Without an eclipse there's really not a whole lot of excuse to do it there. The word that got around on Friday was that the the 80mph windstorm knocked down something large and a boom fell down and struck a vendor, possibly killing him. Of course the staff isn't going to admit that if it's true, they have very little stomach for introspective truth.

glad everyone had a good time. The only thing that annoys me is all the people coming back telling me how happy all the bona fides were. Of course they were. Does everyone really believe that any upset ones would be hanging around talking to you guys?

actually during the eclipse there were a considerable number of tribe members on site. I talked to an elder man who walked by our camp at around 11am towards the lake to set up for the eclipse. Those moments around him were incredibly powerful. We watched the eclipse sitting next to tribe members... In fact, haha, there were some people painted in all white marching along the lake shore with drums and chanting something annoying... when I saw it, i thought "what the fuck?"... when a group of young tribe members saw it, they said, "what the fuck?". You could see the complex looks on tribe member's faces when viewing the symbiots, but none seemed to be disgusted with us (these are my observations).

One thing that kept rolling through my head was this sacred land idea where, in one of those facebook threads by the natives, it was stated that the land the festival is on is sacred and their ancestors had ceremonies on it; things of that sort. But, Pyramid Lake was once much larger, and there was evidence of that on the mountains surrounding the lake, which was at a higher elevation than the festival. The land we were on has only been "land" for around 100 years. It was under the lake before, as the lake shrunk due to the Truckee water being diverted for sparks and reno in the late 1800s. So, unless their ancestors had scuba gear, there were no "ancestral ceremonies" going on at this spot. We were on the lake bed. But that's whateva, I still took care of my campsite and felt guilty not picking up trash i saw so i did that too. the place was truly beautiful and I understand why some natives would get upset and try to preserve it.
    Too bad not everyone noticed that, lots of trash was left behind, we picked up a few extra bags to fill in the space on our car and hauled em out. People are still on site making sure there's no evidence of us left behind.

I talked to/listen to multiple staff, production, and maintenance people (those affiliated and not with symbi) throughout the weekend about the storms and no one mentioned any person getting hurt from them. Sounds like a hater's rumor but I guess it coulda happened, shit was crazy out there.... Does burning man straight up tell you how many people die out there, and when and how it happens??? I think not.

If this happened then I seriously doubt the staff would discuss it, especially with it happening before the festival
    It wasn't a haters rumor (and I wouldn't make something up myself about someone dying). The girl who I heard it from said it was from one of the vendors there (had to be since the festival hadn't started yet).

regarding the tribesmen considering land sacred that might have once been underwater... I don't see how that might matter. I wouldn't think you'd have to have had a sacred right performed while standing on a particular point on the land for it to be important to them. Chief Takedembucks already said that the particular plot of land wasn't reserved sacred but I think the notion of a sacred zoning office sounds a bit spinny.

To each their own I suppose.

I hate you jackstraw.

I've been looking for stats on the weekend, but info is very scarce. Saw someone being brought away on a stretcher from the main stage areas on Sunday; hopefully they were OK. I did hear of the injury from the storm, I just hope no one died from that.

Also regarding the trash, it was pretty clean until Sunday AM, that's when the little started to appear. They even had some spots spread out where you could dump trash/recyclables/compost and butts. People were just getting lazy, which is unfortunate. I know a few folks who are staying behind for about another week or so to ensure there is no trash left there. Overall, they did a great job, I don't see this happening in this same place again, it seems that FantastiFest isn't really annual. I am excited to see where the next one will be, they definitely do a proper job researching the grounds for the celebration.

Drug use was pretty mild in my opinion, sure you had the occasional person crawling on the ground and popping up like a weirdo, but compared to Chella, every one seemed to have their head on, quite a few people were sober that weekend.

you watch. you're all cursed. Your babies will be born with scales.

thank goodness... at least they won't turn out like you. unless that's a mutation also?

Does that mean I will become the father of dragons? I do love the Game of Thrones

put up some sets!!!

Desert Dwellers: http://soundcloud.com/desertdwellers...ellers-live-at

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The only thing that annoys me is all the people coming back telling me how happy all the bona fides were. Of course they were. Does everyone really believe that any upset ones would be hanging around talking to you guys?
    That hateful facebook post from waki blindman or whatever apparently was there partying all weekend according to the bona fide that wandered through our campsite. He was friends with him.
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync

I don't know if it was hateful. I own hateful.

but as long as it's happening, you can't stop it, and it's free. well hell why not?
    I agree though that it does steal something from his rant. If it's true. and not propaganda.

First hour of Damian Lazaurs

www.4shared.com/mp3/Y5sh555i/D-Laz.html

Quote Originally Posted by Natelevmofuggaz View Post
    Who saw Christian Martin on Friday? Dude fucking threw down.
    Yes I think everyone I spoke with in regards to their fav set from Friday agreed on this. J Phlip, Max Cooper, Damian Lazarus, and then James Blake (set of the weekend for me) were all fantastic. I wish all large events cared about their sound as much as these guys did (cough decibel).

It was an exhausting weekend. I've been looking forward to Sasquatch - grass, no dirt, trails around the venue. Not sure right now if I would return again if there was one next year. If it were to be at the same venue then the lineup would really play a big part because that was draining, especially flying in from out of state and relying on fellow camp-mates to help us out. If it were held in a forest like in 09 then yes, probably.

thank you for those recordings, Andrew. I think the one of Max came out great. Looking forward to checking out the hour of Damian.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

When our cars were waiting to get in on Friday morning while they were re-repairing the road that had had some quicksand issues, this Coachella-going-looking-hipster type in shortish shorts and a fedora started whining about how he wanted some of his money back (because he was missing out on a festival that he PAID for) and I remember thinking oh fuck, here we go.

Luckily everyone else at the festival was on a completely different page than he was.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

He should have been happy that, you know, he wasn't fucking stuck in quicksand.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.