Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Misplace Your Faith In Us: Collaboratively Soundtracking Each Other's Lives

Default Re: Misplace Your Faith In Us: Collaboratively Soundtracking Each Other's Lives

Cue up side two of Darkness on the Edge of Town when you cross over into the Utah desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Default Re: Misplace Your Faith In Us: Collaboratively Soundtracking Each Other's Lives

Is there an actual Waynesboro County? that always seemed more Jerseyish than Utahan to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

There's no Waynesboro County, but there should be.

Well, how can something simultaneously be both a borough and a county, though?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

spending the next few days in the hospital staring at my newborn baby girl.

also, I'll be studying for my viticulture course while i'm here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Paz Lenchantin - Songs For Luci
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    D'angelo - Voodoo
    Roy Ayers - He's Coming
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Yorick View Post
    No Age - Nouns into Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu, then finish off with the first half of Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde
    I could probably do most of these between the drive down and the return trip. Thanks!
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    spending the next few days in the hospital staring at my newborn baby girl.

also, I'll be studying for my viticulture course while i'm here.
    Neil Young - Down By The River
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Congratulations. Three inspirational records that come to mind: Sigur Ros' Ágætis byrjun Brian Wilson's Smile, & Yo La Tengo's I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13.1
    LAST.FM

Satori by Flower Travelling Band is a great rec for you, Chris.

Also check out Walter Wegmuller - Tarot. It might be easier to find it if you search for the Cosmic Jokers, but that's an excellent psych album for open spaces. Throw some Spacemen 3 on in there as well (maybe Dream Weapon, their live drone show.)
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wednesday: fasting + bowel prep for thursday's colonoscopy.
    Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike"
    The Raveonettes - Whip It On (it's short, but at least "Bowels of the Beast")
    Spiritualized - Pure Phase or Royal Albert Hall
    Swans - Filth
    Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells
    Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
    The Drones - Wait Long By the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By
    The Clean - Anthology
    Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue

Yes, there are some puns here but I feel some of the deep, cathartic stuff would work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells
    supremely underrated band and album
    LAST.FM

Mermaid Avenue is cathartic?

My original vision included a longer deeper Wilco album but it wasn't enough and then figured that there had to be some fun in there to give you something to look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Day 1 is a wrap. Thoughts on the recs that I listened to today:

The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin. I enjoyed this album a good deal, but definitely expected something much more psychedelic. This seemed like pretty straight forward country/Americana, which admittedly I'm not very well-versed in. I think I may have expected too much based on Tom and Bryan's labelling this a "perfect album"...would either of you guys care to elaborate on that? What am I missing here?

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori. This album was right up my alley. Completely fucking rad from start to finish. Had much more of the psych-rock sound I was looking for while driving through the barren desert. Why haven't I ever heard of these guys before?

Lindstrøm - Where You Go I Go Too. I hadn't heard a ton from this guy before, so this was a welcome recommendation. I listened to this as the sun was starting to go down while coming into downtown Las Vegas and then for awhile after. A bit on the cheesy side, much to my surprise, but it worked. I can't imagine only listening to this album in sections, it really is one long cohesive piece.

I intended to listen to Musick to Play in the Dark after the sun went down, but the first track didn't work so I put on the OTC's Black Foliage instead, which of course is never a bad idea.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Flower Travellin' Band - Satori. ... Completely fucking rad from start to finish
    Intriguing. I'll have to check it out. And yea, Where You Go I Go Too does feel a little cheesy at times (after all it is "space-disco"), but I can really groove to it. I've tried listening to the album in discrete parts before. Doesn't really work.

Also, feedback is integral to this thread: Thanks for it.
    LAST.FM

Sorry, had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

LAST.FM

Today was an A+++.

Like has happened before, a lot of times the 2nd day of a long drive starts out with me being really tired. So I needed something lively to get me going and put on Songs for the Deaf, which I probably hadn't listened to front to back in at least 5 years. Such a great and consistent record. After being very surprised at how much I loved Jeff the Brotherhood's We Are the Champions, I put on one of bmack's recs, Spacemen 3's Dreamweapon right after passing through Green River, Utah, and pretty much just zoned the fuck out for an hour while driving across the desert until the Colorado border. A perfect, stunning experience. I kept thinking how amazing it would have been to have been in that audience.

Sigur Ros' new one made a wonderful near sunset soundtrack while driving over the Rocky Mountains, the person who ripped the cd didn't input the track numbers, and I didn't realize I was listening to it in alphabetical order until a few songs in, but I kept going anyway and it worked great. And then the night began and ended with Coil's Musick to Play in the Dark, which was fucking incredible to listen to from dusk on, and reminded me a bit of listening to Scott Walker's The Drift for the first time, which coincidentally enough was on the same part of the same drive a little over a year ago.

I owe both bmack and SoulDischarge multiple beers next time I see them, one of the best overall listening days I've had in a long time.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 05-24-2012 at 09:34 PM.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Glad to hear you liked Dreamweapon as much as you did. Thought that'd be right up your alley.

As far as Gilded Palace of Sin, while I like the psych-influenced guitar tracks (especially on Christine's Song) the thing that really kills me about the album is how perfectly Parsons melded Country, Rock and 60s Soul. The first time I listened to it, I heard pretty much country, because that's the palate they work with instrumentally, but the songs go far beyond 60s country tropes, and really extend beyond most country songwriting in general. Hot Burrito #1 and #2 are two astounding tracks of emotionality, vocal expressiveness and really swinging playing. I dunno, I love country too, but it's a special, strong album.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    As far as Gilded Palace of Sin, while I like the psych-influenced guitar tracks (especially on Christine's Song) the thing that really kills me about the album is how perfectly Parsons melded Country, Rock and 60s Soul. The first time I listened to it, I heard pretty much country, because that's the palate they work with instrumentally, but the songs go far beyond 60s country tropes, and really extend beyond most country songwriting in general. Hot Burrito #1 and #2 are two astounding tracks of emotionality, vocal expressiveness and really swinging playing. I dunno, I love country too, but it's a special, strong album.
    Yeah pretty much.

To which I'd add: It sounds like 'just country' to your ears today because this was one of the landmark albums that pushed actual country music out of where it was and down the road it went to be what it is today. (man, that's a shitty sentence, apologies). But if you lay it down next to what was going on in country music at the time, it's very much a different thing.

On Hot Burrito #1, for example, Parsons took what sounds like an old fashioned country weeper and infuses it with elements of anger, resentment, jealousy, and just overall darkness that comes from rock music, it was never seen in country like that. And the result is something totally new (at the time). And yeah sure lots of bands that followed, both good and bad, used this same formula. But no one ever pulled it off like Parsons did.

edit: and to echo what Bryan said -- on Hot Burrito #1 again, the singing is not very country at all, it's much much looser than the formal restrictions of country music at the time. Really it's more like soul music -- not that Parsons is trying to sound like a soul singer, but that he's using the same techniques of vocal inflections that add a subtle shading of meaning to the lyrics.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.

I'll be doing a lot of driving in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks next week, so lots of scenery and wildlife.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Real Estate - Days
    The two latest Tallest Man on Earth records.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

For when the sun is shining brightly: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
    For a more contemplative time, maybe dusk: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    If you're doing late night driving, when the stars are out and the moon is so bright you can't believe it: The Field - From Here We Go Sublime and Radiohead - Kid A
    If you drive through a forest and have that strobe-light effect from the moon and the trees: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    For a long stretch of road: Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun and Modest Mouse - the Moon and Antarctica

I drove through the Park in May. Saw the largest elk I've ever seen in my life standing on the side of the road. I was the only car on the road. It was a spectacular sunset, totally perfect.

Was playing the Stones at the time. Some Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Real Estate - Days
    The two latest Tallest Man on Earth records.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    For when the sun is shining brightly: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
    For a more contemplative time, maybe dusk: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    If you're doing late night driving, when the stars are out and the moon is so bright you can't believe it: The Field - From Here We Go Sublime and Radiohead - Kid A
    If you drive through a forest and have that strobe-light effect from the moon and the trees: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    For a long stretch of road: Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun and Modest Mouse - the Moon and Antarctica
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I drove through the Park in May. Saw the largest elk I've ever seen in my life standing on the side of the road. I was the only car on the road. It was a spectacular sunset, totally perfect.

Was playing the Stones at the time. Some Girls.
    Thanks for all the recommendations, keep 'em coming!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

I'm driving from LA to Seattle-ish on Monday. Four day roundtrip drive. All on the 5.

I think I'll use some of those LA to Fresno recs that I never got to for the first and fourth days...it's pretty much just farmland on the 5 the whole time between LA and Sacramento.

The pretty parts of the drive are what I could use some further recs for...visuals like this:

And of course, I could use an album or two for that dreadful stretch between Eugene and Portland.

Thanks!

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Also, what should we listen to when you stop in Portland to have dinner with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Also, what should we listen to when you stop in Portland to have dinner with me?
    Barry White, duh.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Chris, did I tell you to listen to Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You? If not, that is a definite must.

Others:
    Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
    The Gun Club - Fire of Love
    Sunset-y time: Manitoba (now Caribou) - Up in Flames
    Skip Spence - Oar
    At night: Bjork - Homogenic
    The Verlaines - Bird Dog

You didn't. I've heard a few songs from that album, and I really like it. Thank you!

Unwound seems to be the rare occasion where a band's later work is their most acclaimed, eh?

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare