Thread: You tell me: the best albums of the 70s, according to the Message Board music brains

Default You tell me: the best albums of the 70s, according to the Message Board music brains

I'm bored with our boring threads, so I want to hear from people about what they perceive as the best albums of the 70s. Feel free to break the format, but what I was thinking (based on suggestions from the Default thread) is that each person choose five albums from each year in the 70s and tell us why they chose the album. While there's no rules (NO RULES!) I think the way I'm going to approach this is that I will cover one year every 2-3 days until I reach 1979.

Tell me why Fela Kuti is better than Talking Heads. Convince me that Saturday Night Fever changed the world forever. Lets talk about music.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: You tell me: the best albums of the 70s, according to the Message Board music bra

This is overly optimistic. You won't see a day over 104.

Default Re: You tell me: the best albums of the 70s, according to the Message Board music bra

The Velvet Underground - Loaded
    Supposedly the album was titled Loaded because the record company wanted an album loaded with hits. I've always been one to have a very positive stance on Doug Yule's contributions to the band. Yule does lead vocals on a couple of my favorites from the album: "Who Loves The Sun" and "Oh! Sweet Nuthin."

The Doors - Morrison Hotel
    "Roadhouse Blues" may have been the first song I ever sang drunk at a Karaoke bar. Album is great driving music, great party music, perfect driving and/or partying in LA music. Favorite lesser-known tracks include "The Spy" and "Maggie M'Gill."

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu
    The CSNY album. Each member has strong writing/singing contributions both individually and in collaborative efforts on each song. My lesser-known favorites include "Carry On" and "Country Girl." Jerry Garcia plays pedal steel guitar on "Teach Your Children." My dad bought me this album when we were at a Border's together in high school.

Grateful Dead - American Beauty
    Probably the Dead's best studio album. Standout tracks include "Sugar Magnolia," "Truckin'", and "Friend of the Devil." The band released another album in 1970 titled Workingman's Dead. "Ripple" is such a good fucking song. Can't really go on a long road trip and not listen to this album (and other Grateful Dead music, for that matter).

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    Hard to leave this off the list when talking about 1970. One for Neil's legacy and often regarded as his best. "I Believe In You" and "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" are two of my favorites. Perfect chill-out, folk music from beginning to end.

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
    A bonus album because I love it too much to leave out. Sing-a-long after sing-a-long. The first and last songs are probably my favorites: "Where do the Children Play?" and "Tea for the Tillerman."

Although it's rather generic, this took me kind of a long time to do. Not sure if I'm going to be able to do it again or keep up...but it was fun to do at least once. And 1970 was a really good year for music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

BMack back me up here .. earlier but pretty good stuff .. cr****

Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

The audience sucks ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

do you guys get paid from this shit?

Never liked the Kinks (realizing now it's most likely because I never gave them a thorough and I despise 'Lola'), but heard this awesome song by Ray Davies called 'All She Wrote' the other day. So good, though not even on YT. http://www.last.fm/music/Ray+Davies/_/All+She+Wrote

Found MP3 if anyone wan: http://musicmp3spb.org/song/all_she_wrote.html
    Last edited by lehorne; 06-28-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.