Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BLUR for 2013

Default Re: BLUR for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Fair enough. I think we can all agree that most Americans are dumb though.
    How many average Americans know ANY Pulp songs? I don't know about you, but I saw a SHIT TON of people at their set. I feel like blur could easily play Pulp's time, or get The Strokes treatment as the jr. headliner.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    How many average Americans know ANY Pulp songs? I don't know about you, but I saw a SHIT TON of people at their set. I feel like blur could easily play Pulp's time, or get The Strokes treatment as the jr. headliner.
    SHIT TON compared to what? Abe Vigoda at noon in the Gobi? By mainstage Coachella standards for that time slot, the attendance at Pulp was sparse, and you can expect the same for Blur if we're punished with their presence.

And you're dreaming if you think Blur could be a jr. headliner. In the last 20 years they were popular in the states for about a month's worth of woohoo. They're barely on the radar with the exception of "hey that's that guy from the Gorillaz who sent 90% of the festival heading for the exits early in 2010."

Why do dipshits have such an impossible time differentiating between UK popular and US popular?

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    SHIT TON compared to what? Abe Vigoda at noon in the Gobi? By mainstage Coachella standards for that time slot, the attendance at Pulp was sparse, and you can expect the same for Blur if we're punished with their presence.

And you're dreaming if you think Blur could be a jr. headliner. In the last 20 years they were popular in the states for about a month's worth of woohoo. They're barely on the radar with the exception of "hey that's that guy from the Gorillaz who sent 90% of the festival heading for the exits early in 2010."

Why do dipshits have such an impossible time differentiating between UK popular and US popular?
    No need to work yourself up! I was near the front row during Pulp, but looking at photos and videos afterwards, there seemed to be plenty of people at their set. What's your source on their sparse audience? Not that it actually matters... GV knew what they were doing when they booked them for their time slot. Not once have I heard any complaining about their billing before now, nor how it negatively impacted other stages. What makes you think (if Blur where on the poster) that they couldn't sub on the Mainstage on Sunday? ATDI did it, and I'm not checking facts here, but I'm pretty sure they sold less records in the US than blur.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

I think you've got it all wrong mrhand... I believe Blur could easily be at the top of the poster, especially if they played say, Friday night and then Deadmau5 (or EDM equivalent) close Main Stage. The fact of the matter is that though Blur might be only known for Song 2 to the general public, they are just as well recognized in music circles as Pulp and Refused and as prolific as The Black Keys (who were all at the top of the poster in 2012). Add that to the fact that it's Damon and his celebrity brings a certain cachet to the band. I could also see a co-headline slot ala The Strokes like alongside YYY's or Phoenix.
    Last edited by drewskeee; 01-12-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drewskeee View Post
    I think you've got it all wrong mrhand... I'm believe Blur could easily be at the top of the poster, especially if they played say, Friday night and then Deadmau5 (or EDM equivalent) close Main Stage. The fact of the matter is that though Blur might be only known for Song 2 to the general public, they are just as well recognized in music circles as Pulp and Refused and as prolific as The Black Keys (who were all at the top of the poster in 2012). Add that to the fact that it's Damon and his celebrity brings a certain cachet to the band. I could also see a co-headline slot ala The Strokes like alongside YYY's or Phoenix.
    Nice name, asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.
    April 26 - Black Sabbath - Hollywood Bowl
    June 27 - Fuck Buttons - the Independent
    July 11 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Shrine Auditorium

I'm all for Blur being there but they'll get the same treatment as Pulp. If The Strokes couldn't headline I don't see Blur doing it.

pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Niklass View Post
    I'm all for Blur being there but they'll get the same treatment as Pulp. If The Strokes couldn't headline I don't see Blur doing it.
    The Strokes co-headlined (top of the poster, same size font) with Kanye in 2011...
    COACHELLA '06, '10, '11, '12, '13 Outkast - The Knife - Broken Bells - Bonobo - Jagwar Ma - MGMT - Warpaint - Washed Out - Darkside - Blood Orange - Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Chance the Rapper - STRFKR

The Strokes co-headlined (top of the poster, same size font) with Kanye in 2011...
    Yeah but they weren't alone on the headline slot. Blur wouldn't either.

So you wouldn't call Kanye a headliner because he shared the top line? All I'm saying is that you said The Strokes couldn't headline, yet I would argue that the names at the top are both headliners. Thus a feasible slot on Friday night with a good 2nd and 3rd line or a co-headlining spot alongside another pseudo-headliner like QOTSA, Atoms for Peace, YYYs, or Phoenix would not be completely off base.
    COACHELLA '06, '10, '11, '12, '13 Outkast - The Knife - Broken Bells - Bonobo - Jagwar Ma - MGMT - Warpaint - Washed Out - Darkside - Blood Orange - Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Chance the Rapper - STRFKR

There will be no headliners this year. all the big name artists will go on in the afternoon.

What I meant is that The Strokes felt more like a sub. Kanye was the 'real headliner', at least it felt like it. QOTSA, Atoms for Peace, YYY and Phoenix have a better chance of headlining on their own.

I still want Blur to be there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    I was near the front row during Pulp, but looking at photos and videos afterwards, there seemed to be plenty of people at their set. What's your source on their sparse audience?
    My source is walking by halfway through their set and seeing oceans of empty space. I don't know how many Coachellas you've been to and what frame of reference you're using for "plenty of people," but their set was definitely sparse. See Justice in the same time slot on Sunday for what plenty of people actually was.

What makes you think (if Blur where on the poster) that they couldn't sub on the Mainstage on Sunday?
    They could sub, largely based on Golden Voice's inexplicable love of third-rate 90s Britpoppers (See Pulp and the embarrassingly bad Gallagher shitfest from last year). I'm not quibbling with that part of your statement. The second half when you claim they could headline is the problem.

I think you've got it all wrong mrhand... I'm believe Blur could easily be at the top of the poster, especially if they played say, Friday night and then Deadmau5 (or EDM equivalent) close Main Stage. The fact of the matter is that though Blur might be only known for Song 2 to the general public, they are just as well recognized in music circles as Pulp and Refused and as prolific as The Black Keys (who were all at the top of the poster in 2012).
    Pullp and Refused are fair comparisons. Black Keys are not. Blur is not even the in the same universe as The Black Keys in terms of being "prolific." BK have had steady growth in the last five years, sold out AMERICAN arenas nationwide, and had multiple platinum albums. Blur has had NONE OF THAT in the states. You look like a fucking idiot comparing the two. The BK have been huge here for the last 4-5 years. Blur was never big here and still aren't. There is no comparison.

You make the same retarded mistake dozens of others do in assuming that Blur's popuarity in the UK and Europe translates here. IT DOESN'T. If they toured in the states they'd be playing shitty little 1000-2000 capacity clubs. No one gave a fuck about them in the 90s and even fewer do now. Reality: deal with it.

Whoever plays the later slot is the headliner. Call the earlier act whatever you want (jr headliner, secondary headliner, pity headliner), but they're not a headliner.

Based on Paul T's history of giving shitty Brit bands more status than they actually merit, I'll admit there's a very slim chance Blur is a pity headliner before a much bigger name. I'm putting those odds at about 2% though. Place your bets.

Wow that's sure a lot of hostility for trying to have a rational debate... I will concede the fact that Tollett/GV give UK bands from the 90s a high billing. I'm curious as to what the members of The Strokes would think about being called the Jr, secondary, or pity headliner though...

"Mr. Casablancas, we hear you're playing Coachella this year..."
    "Yeah, we're the pity headliner."

To your other point about me being a "fucking idiot", I used the word "prolific" specifically to illustrate the amount of music either band has put out, as that's what "prolific" means and why I didn't call them as "popular" as The Black Keys. I'd recommend a dictionary.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

My source is walking by halfway through their set and seeing oceans of empty space. I don't know how many Coachellas you've been to and what frame of reference you're using for "plenty of people," but their set was definitely sparse. See Justice in the same time slot on Sunday for what plenty of people actually was.

They could sub, largely based on Golden Voice's inexplicable love of third-rate 90s Britpoppers (See Pulp and the embarrassingly bad Gallagher shitfest from last year). I'm not quibbling with that part of your statement. The second half when you claim they could headline is the problem.

Pullp and Refused are fair comparisons. Black Keys are not. Blur is not even the in the same universe as The Black Keys in terms of being "prolific." BK have had steady growth in the last five years, sold out AMERICAN arenas nationwide, and had multiple platinum albums. Blur has had NONE OF THAT in the states. You look like a fucking idiot comparing the two. The BK have been huge here for the last 4-5 years. Blur was never big here and still aren't. There is no comparison.

You make the same retarded mistake dozens of others do in assuming that Blur's popuarity in the UK and Europe translates here. IT DOESN'T. If they toured in the states they'd be playing shitty little 1000-2000 capacity clubs. No one gave a fuck about them in the 90s and even fewer do now. Reality: deal with it.

Whoever plays the later slot is the headliner. Call the earlier act whatever you want (jr headliner, secondary headliner, pity headliner), but they're not a headliner.

Based on Paul T's history of giving shitty Brit bands more status than they actually merit, I'll admit there's a very slim chance Blur is a pity headliner before a much bigger name. I'm putting those odds at about 2% though. Place your bets.
    jesus christ we get it. you hate blur. no one in here thinks that they could headline. find something new to bitch about.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

I'm curious as to what the members of The Strokes would think about being called the Jr, secondary, or pity headliner though...
    I'm not.

I used the word "prolific" specifically to illustrate the amount of music either band has put out, as that's what "prolific" means and why I didn't call them as "popular" as The Black Keys. I'd recommend a dictionary.
    Given that the raw volume of music output has no bearing on whether a band can headline, I had assumed you meant it in terms of successful output:

prolific [prəˈlɪfɪk]adj
    1. producing fruit, offspring, etc., in abundance
    2. producing constant or successful results
    3. (often foll by in or of) rich or fruitful

My fault for assuming you understood what factors are relevant to whether a band can headline.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    no one in here thinks that they could headline.
    Clearly:

"I'm believe Blur could easily be at the top of the poster.."

"I feel like blur could easily play Pulp's time, or get The Strokes treatment as the jr. headliner."

The reading. It's essential.

And shut the fuck up. Or go on...

Sorry for quoting such a long post. Personally, I didn't read the whole thing. But my point remains.

Blur. Could be a "jr."/subheadliner. Deal with it.

old school

I'd take the BLUR catalog over the Gorillaz catalog in a second. IMO, it has more "hits", despite US chart rankings.

Though I will acknowledge that Gorillaz worked much better as a concept in a live setting, whereas BLUR never seemed hit it out of the park as a live act.

Where they are on the poster is irrelevant. The only important thing is that they are on the poster.
    Looking forward to hearing a bunch of those songs.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

At the height of their 'pomp' over here in '95 Blur played in 8000 seaters. In '99 and 2003 the venues were 1500 - 2000 capacity clubs. I was there, I loved Blur.
    At no time in their career could Blur have pulled off what Oasis did at Knebworth in 1996, reportedly selling over 250,000 tickets for 2 consecutive performances.
    Blur's big festival appearances including Galstonbury in '09 were billed as the last gigs - hence the sense of occasion.

Headliners at Coachella this year? - dont think so.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

No matter where they are on the lineup, they will be brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I'd take the BLUR catalog over the Gorillaz catalog in a second. IMO, it has more "hits", despite US chart rankings.

Though I will acknowledge that Gorillaz worked much better as a concept in a live setting, whereas BLUR never seemed hit it out of the park as a live act.

Tell that to them....

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Where they are on the poster is irrelevant. The only important thing is that they are on the poster.
    Looking forward to hearing a bunch of those songs.
    yea this.. I just want them there. It would be amazing if they were opposite RHCP, even less crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by fibes View Post
    It would be amazing if they were opposite RHCP, even less crowd.
    Oh god. Washed up and shitty versus washed up and shittier. Tents better be loaded.

We get it you don't like Blur
    Now fuck off and die

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    We get it you don't like Blur
    Now fuck off and die
    Dead >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> watching Blur.

mrhand has to be one of the dumbest posters in this entire forum.

His awfulness makes me miss MotoRave
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go

"I don't like blur. Let me bitch about it over and over again because y'all might forget."