Thread: JEFF the Brotherhood

Default JEFF the Brotherhood

I can't believe that there's not already a thread on here for JEFF the Brotherhood. Probably my favorite band right now. I saw them for the first time last year and they are an awesome live band! Two piece garage psych rock. I saw them open for The Greenhornes and they were insanely good. I'm gonna go check them out in a couple weeks. They are opening for Best Coast on their current tour. Check them out if you get a chance!!

Did I mention 3 string guitar?

http://jeffbrotherhood.blogspot.com/

Default Re: JEFF the Brotherhood

Win tickets to their show at the Wiltern on Friday with Best Coast.

http://grimygoods.com/2012/05/15/con...n-may-18-2012/

Anyone going to that show? I'm going on Saturday in Oakland.

There's no JEFF thread?

Blasphemy. One of my favorite bands currently making music. I am at work, so I can't elaborate but I've seen them live about five or six times and they consistently slay.

Weird to see they're playing the Wiltern (with BC, no less! Barf.) The last three times I saw them in LA were at Origami Vinyl, the Smell and the Echo. Hmph.

Planning on seeing them this week! Pretty psyched.

I was really late to the JEFF party, but once I found out about them I couldn't stop listening. They are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    There's no JEFF thread?
    Weird to see they're playing the Wiltern (with BC, no less! Barf.)
    Yeah, it's kind of a strange billing. Almost feel bad for Best Coast trying to follow JTB! They are going to be very boring in comparison.

I was going to go to the show and leave after JEFF — but my birthday party ended up being that night. (Having a bunch of bands come play.) And...I really hate the Wiltern. I don't want that to spoil my JEFF experiences.

Apparently all my JEFF vinyl is worth some big bucks. They're all about releasing special tour-only, super colored limited edition stuff and I've just bought everything I could from them. One of the LPs I picked up on tour is this silkscreened, handmade copy they only did 50 or so of. It's pretty rad.

Last time I saw them, they were playing at a sports bar:

The under 21 crowd and cheapskates that didn't pay the $5 cover watched from the sidewalk.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

they played bonnaroo last year and i meant to catch them. i think i might have, but i'm not sure (they played the miller lite stage or whatever the fuck it's called).
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    they played bonnaroo last year and i meant to catch them. i think i might have, but i'm not sure (they played the miller lite stage or whatever the fuck it's called).
    If you don't remember, you didn't see them. I don't care how many drugs you were on, you would remember!

New single "Sixpack" from the 'Hypnotic Knights' EP out 5/22 (Produced by Dan Auerbach)

http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-je...gn=spintwitter
    Last edited by sk8r408; 05-16-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Info on next LP...

hey everybody, this is our new single, it's called SIX PACK.
    The song is from our new album HYPNOTIC NIGHTS which is coming out on July 17th. It's also on a digital album preview EP called HYPNOTIC KNIGHTS which you can get on itunes starting on May 22.

We also just shot a music video for it with lots of our friends, that will be out soon.

The album was recorded in Nashville at easy eye sound studios, it was produced by Jake and I and Dan Auerbach. We are really proud of it and we hope you like it. Keep checking back for more fun stuff.
    http://jeffbrotherhood.blogspot.com/...new-album.html

JEFF slayed tonight in Phoenix at The Rhythm Room. Damn good show..

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    If you don't remember, you didn't see them. I don't care how many drugs you were on, you would remember!
    i don't do drugs. i might have caught them for a fleeting moment even though i intended to watch them for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    i don't do drugs. i might have caught them for a fleeting moment even though i intended to watch them for a bit.
    Definitely check them out, the next chance you get. They rock!

Found a review of last nights show...

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/upo..._north_dak.php

JEFF the Brotherhood, North Dakota, Wooden Indian
    Rhythm Room
    Thursday, May 17

The three bands on stage at Rhythm Room didn't sound very much alike -- and that's a good thing. It was a treat to see three distinct bands perfectly execute their respective sounds at last night's JEFF the Brotherhood gig.

Locals Wooden Indian opened the show, and even though the piles of instruments on stage looked haphazard and the band has a penchant for blissfully open-ended structures, their dynamics were tightly controlled and their jams reined in before overstaying their welcome. It seemed every member took singing duties or operated a floor tom at some point (as there were three available), forging the buttoned-up indie rock composition of Department of Eagles with guttural Animal Collective vocals.

Though each member of Tempe three-piece North Dakota sings and the band is front-loaded with the vocal talent of Michelle Blades (who also performs as a solo act), they lean even harder on shuffled backbeats, distorted guitar bursts, and Casio organ swells. Their three-part harmonies, group chants, and momentary shrieks were utilized only occasionally, creating an impressionistic take on the dance-floor attitude of Delta 5 and the staccato-pop contortions of Devo.

JEFF the Brotherhood also were on point, honing their mega-distorted guitar and booming mid-tempo drums into a boiled-down Zeppelin/Stooges concentrate. The crowd bopped along to the band (freshly signed to Warner Brothers Records) from We Are the Champions; one girl succeeded in momentarily crowd surfing. The brothers played a new song called "Six Pack," which resembled a variation on the dreamy guitar line from the Smashing Pumpkins' "Perfect," before turning into their familiar brand of garage-psych stew.

Everything about their performance, from the guys' casually inviting demeanor to their occasional dips into the crowd, felt like a distillation of rock's best elements with any dumb posturing removed, like it could have actually happened in a garage. Jamin Orrall played a translucent drumset and his brother Jake played a clear-bodied guitar (with only three low strings). Their lighting scheme, which proved very effective, was a single flood light behind the kit. It's like the duo are leading research to concoct the most erudite, aerodynamic rock machine possible. If last night was any indication, the prototype is very close to maximum consumer-grade portability.

Last night: JEFF the Brotherhood, North Dakota, and Wooden Indian at Rhythm Room

Major display of dedication: Under-age attendees Gabe and Matt were nice enough to light my cigarette and also somehow made the drive from Chandler without using the freeway. Props are in order.