Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Jewel / Italians Do It Better thread: Chromatics, Glass Candy, Desire, etc.

Default Johnny Jewel / Italians Do It Better thread: Chromatics, Glass Candy, Desire, etc.

So Kill for Love has been my favorite record of 2012 so far, and with a new Glass Candy album and the After Dark 2 label compilation album both on the horizon, I imagine there will probably be plenty of additional discussion about Johnny Jewel projects as the year unfolds.

Free "drumless" version of Kill for Love here.

Also, Ian Cohen conducted an excellent interview with Johnny in Pitchfork today. One interesting detail here is Johnny's claim that he was under pressure from promoters to leak Chromatics material as a way of leveraging festival bookings (" I'm not gonna say names, but bookers of big festivals that are 'all about the arts.'"). Not sure if this makes a Coachella appearance any less likely next year . . . I know they played FYF last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Default Re: Johnny Jewel / Italians Do It Better thread: Chromatics, Glass Candy, Desire, et

I'm a big fan of the label. I discovered it while digging into Goblin and Giorgio Moroder a number of years ago. Definitely going to check out Kill for Love.

Default Re: Johnny Jewel / Italians Do It Better thread: Chromatics, Glass Candy, Desire, et

Kill For Love will definitely be on my year end list.

someone on this board (prob you mirror noir) tipped me off to this tune from last year and it is incredible.

hollywood seven (disconnect dilemma extended edit)
    http://soundcloud.com/perseorecords/...seven-disconet

will have to check out kill for love

I feel like Chromatics will get bigger and get more hype with that Pitchfork review. I'll be honest, I heard them first because of Drive and this new album has solidified my interest in them so far.
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    someone on this board (prob you mirror noir) tipped me off to this tune from last year and it is incredible.

hollywood seven (disconnect dilemma extended edit)
    actually that was me.... Which brings up the question; Why hasn't Mike Simonetti been mentioned once in this thread....?
    Last edited by Coachella Bound; 05-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

I don't really like the Chromatics cover of "Running up that Hill". It just lacks something.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    actually that was me.... Which brings up the question; Why hasn't Mike Simonetti been mentioned once in this thread....?
    Yeah, as the label founder, he probably deserves a mention. He's terrific. His Beats in Space show last year was great, too.

ooohh.... I downloaded a bunch of those, have to go back and see if that was one of them.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

This album is great and gets better with each listen. Quickly rising on my list of favorite albums this year.

Johnny Jewel's "Sunday Morning Mix," a version of which was apparently played before Chromatics performance at FYF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    I don't really like the Chromatics cover of "Running up that Hill". It just lacks something.

This song was so good live at FYF. These guys kill it.

Not sure if they're big enough but a Chromatics sunset slot in one of the tents would be awesome next year.

Can't wait for After Dark 2. After Dark 1 is being repressed as well.

New Chromatics song/video from After Dark 2.

mike simonetti did a remix for bicep. yeah, im looking forward to it

SmellyBath

Kill For Love is definitely one of my favorite albums of the year and I was so stoked on their performance at FYF. They sounded unbelievable, would love to see them on the polo fields.

I've finally gotten around to the mixtape of unreleased and alternate tracks from the Kill for Love sessions that Johnny put up on Soundcloud earlier this month. If Kill for Love (like most great Chromatics work) is the sound of the after party or the drive home, this is the sound of still being too hopped up to fall asleep but too tired to do anything else once you get home.

"Black & White / A Mix for Autumn"

Chromatics cover of New Order's "Ceremony" at about 21:00 in.

the kill for love album is brilliant. i didn't like it too much at first (maybe cause i was tipped off by gvsb) but it has def grown on me. i like the pace that the album moves at and the different instruments used. the vocals and lyrics are sweeeeet!

that autum mix and after dark stuff is pretty fresh too. i initially thought the name was pretty unoriginal, but after listening to their music, i've changed my opinion.

They said they were repressing After Dark months ago.. anxiously awaiting it.

The latest news/rumors:

JOHNNY FINISHED AFTER DARK IN DECEMBER...BUT HE DECIDED TO BURY THE TAPES FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND NOT LET ANYONE HEAR IT TO GIVE HIMSELF SOME "PRODUCER'S DISTANCE" BEFORE THE RELEASE. WE ARE AS ANXIOUS TO HEAR IT AS YOU. ACCORDING TO HIS ANSWERING MACHINE, HE'S IN MEXICO RIGHT NOW UNPLUGGED ON AN ISLAND. HE'S NOT RETURNING OUR CALLS, BUT WE DO KNOW THAT HE & NAT WALKER JUST SPENT 5 WEEKS IN THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS SCORING A TV SERIES...A PILOT...AND A FILM. ART FIRST... BUSINESS SECOND. AFTER DARK 2 IN EARLY APRIL SUPPOSEDLY, AND BODY WORK LATE SUMMER / EARLY FALL...FARAH LP, NEW SYMMETRY... SOME TOUR DATES INFO COMING SOON AS WELL AS A BUNCH OF NEW VINYL IN THE WORKS FOR THE NEW YEAR, INCLUDING THE EXTENDED "CHERRY" / "I WANT YOUR LOVE" 12", GLASS CANDY "THE POSSESSED" 12", "RUNNING FROM THE SUN" LP , "BEATBOX" REMASTER LP, "AFTER DARK 1" REMASTER 3XLP , DESIRE 12" & MORE....

Posting up on an island not returning phone calls...my kind of man.

Also, I love how the voicemail gets deleted in the kill for love album. Great touch.

New Glass Candy for After Dark 2.

mike simonetti will be djing a warehouse party in LA this summer. awesome!

New Mirage single, and After Dark 2 is apparently, finally going to be out on Friday.

"Let's Kiss" was written the same week as "Under Your Spell" in November 2008. After a bizarre & beautiful twist of fate, I walked into a remote bar in Montreal where I met the love of my life. The next morning... Ida & I had to leave. We flew to France for a handful of sweaty club shows. On the train out of Paris, I realized my whole world had been permanently turned upside down. The rain was crashing against the windows... & I decided I wanted to make a record that felt like that moment frozen in time... "For Ever Ever". That's when After Dark 2 was born. The last five years have been a blur of art & parties. This record represents the people we've connected with along the way...in Moscow, in Mexico, in Barcelona, in London, in Portland, in Montreal, in Melbourne, in Houston, in Berlin, in Beijing, in Los Angeles, in Dublin, in Athens... I am so excited to finally be sharing it with you. In 20 minutes, Ida & I get on a plane to Warsaw for our first tour overseas with Chromatics. Even though she is on crutches thanks to a brutal Roller Derby pile up on Sunday... we can't wait to see all of you again... it's been way too long. After Dark 2 is out this Friday.

It's 78 minutes & 16 seconds.

See you on the train!
    xo
    Johnny Jewel
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 05-15-2013 at 07:39 AM.

I can't wait to see Chromatics live again. I thought their stuff would be so sleepy live... but they are insanely groovy. Had me dancing the entire time; they are all great at their instruments as well.

The production and beats on After Dark 2 are stunning, as predicted. Lyrically and vocally it's pretty spotty to me, which is unfortunate, as I otherwise really enjoy this album. "Into Eternity" just steamrolls, in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.