Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Northeast Music Thread

Default The Northeast Music Thread

Maybe think of this as similar to the Upcoming Shows clusterfuck of a thread except instead of being about LA this one is about the Northeastern US.

Want to talk about recently announced shows in Boston? Excited for that one-off performance in Philadelphia? Excited for the free summer shows around NYC? Hoping some day somebody will actually play Burlington? Visiting the area and want to know what's going on?

Wooooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Default Re: The Northeast Music Thread

I miss the free sumer shows around NYC. Prospect Park is my favorite. Their benefit concerts are great. I wish I was in town to attend the Hot Chip / Gang Gang Dance show.

Union Transfer is going to keep me in debt with the artists they keep bringing to Philly. I will be seeing Mogwai, Best Coast, and Dirty Projectors/Wye Oak there in the near future and there are many more shows I'd like to attend.

Still jealous of NYC though.

Saw Trampled by Turtles at Union Transfer a few weekends ago after having missed them on the main stage last year. Awesome show, amazing venue. Going to see Feist this week. Yay.
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

I've got the corridor from Toronto down through Buffalo to Albany on lock. If you're willing to drive 3 hours in any direction, it's like living in a real city.

That is a great line-up of shows, Trey. I may still see Mogwai at Webster Hall. The only upcoming rock shows I have tickets for are Codeine (my first time going to the Bell House!) on 06/29 and Afghan Whigs at Terminal 5 in October. I am also considering Japandroids (June) and Mark Kozelek (September) but I am waiting to see what else comes up.

I was scanning the Lincoln Center Out of Doors free summer festival, running in NYC 07/25 - 08/12. I am really excited for Erin McKeown as part of the Roots of American Music Festival on Sunday, August 12th. And that evening there is some sort of Gil Scott-Heron tribute so I might check that out, too. Anything else on the list stick out to anyone?

If you get to see Japandroids, I'd love to hear your thoughts. As far as the Lincoln Center Out Of Doors, if you like !!!'s music at all, they have been fun live when I have seen them, but I'd definitely consider the Gil Scott-Heron tribute.

With an impressive lineup of ticketed events @ Prospect Park (Sigur Ros, Wilco, Hot Chip and etc), I can't wait for their announcement of free shows It'll probably be out this week....

Central Park Summerstage: (Shows listed are only for Summerstage. You can find more free shows at different locations here: http://www.summerstage.org/calendar/#1)

FREE SHOWS:

Thurs, June 7 @ 7:00 PM - Bobby Womack, Willis Earl Beal

Sat, June 9 @ @ 7:00 PM - 10th Cine Fest Petrobras Brasil NY *Live Performance by Sandra de Sá *Full Film Screening of the new Raul Seixas documentary: RAUL

Tues, June 12 @ 8:00 PM - The New York Pops with Ozomatli

Fri, June 15 @ 8:00 PM - Joey Arias

Sat, June 16 @ 7:00 PM - Dawes, Kurt Vile and The Violators

Sun, June 17 @ 6:00 PM - The Blue Note Jazz Festival featuring Groove Theory, Soulive, Riq and Rah with Strings (Black Thought + Rahzel), DJ ?uestlove

Wed, June 20 @ 8:00 PM - Comedy Central: Indecision in the Park with The Daily Show stars and writers: Rory Albanese, Wyatt Cenac, Adam Lowitt, Al Madrigal, John Oliver, Kristen Schaal, Hosted by John Hodgman

Sun, June 24 @ 3:00 PM - Alabama Shakes, Diamond Rugs, Robert Ellis

Tues, June 26 @ 7:00 PM - Workmen's Circle Yiddishfest 2012 - Singing for a Better World featuring The Klezmatics, SoCalled, Daniel Kahn and The Painted Bird, Joshua Nelson, NYT-Folksbiene's "Soul to Soul", Yiddish Princess

Sat, June 30 @ 8:00 PM - Limón Dance Company with musical guest Paquito D'Rivera

Sun, July 1 @ 8:00 PM - Limón Dance Company with musical guest Paquito D'Rivera

Sat, July 7 @ 3:00 PM - CBGB Festival - Artists TBA

Sun, July 8 @ 3:00 PM - SummerStage Kids Family Day with Justin Roberts and The Not So Ready for Naptime Players, Ill Style & Peace Productions. The New York Chinese Cultural Center, The Bindlestiff Family Cirkus

Wed, July 11 @ 7:00 PM - Latin Alternative Music Conference w/ Mala Rodríguez, Profetas, Ximena Sariñana

Sat, July 14 @ 3:00 PM - Latin Alternative Music Conference w/ Kinky, Los Auténticos Decadentes, 3Ball MTY, DJ Raff

Sun, July 15 @ 7:00 PM - A Guthrie Family Reunion: Celebrating Woody Guthrie's 100 Birthday with Arlo Guthrie, Abe Guthrie, Cathy Guthrie, Annie Guthrie, Sara Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion

Tues, July 17 @ 7:30 PM - The Upright Citizens Brigade presents w/ The All-Stars of Improv

Sat, July 21 @ 3:00 PM - Bebel Gilberto, Criolo, Flávio Renegado, DJ Béco Dranoff

Sun, July 22 @ 3:00 PM - Orchestre Poly-Rythmo, SMOD, Bibi Tanga and the Selenites, DJ Chief Boima

Wed, July 25 @ 8:00 PM - The Metropolitan Opera Summer Recital Series

Sat, July 28 @ 3:00 PM - Gary Clark Jr., GIVERS

Sun, July 29 @ 3:00 PM - Héctor "El Torito" Acosta, DJ Lobo, Alex Sensation

Tues, July 31 @ 8:00 PM - "The Power of the Trinity" - a play by Roland Wolf, Directed by Alfred Preisser, Music by Tomás Doncker

Wed, Aug. 1 @ 8:00 PM - Camille A. Brown & Dancers with Imani Uzuri , Malcolm Low Formal Structure, Dancin' Downtown at The Joyce Contest Winner

Sat, Aug. 4 @ 3:00 PM, Amadou & Mariam, Theophilus London

Sun, Aug. 5 @ 4:00 PM - 5th Annual Gospel Explosion featuring Hezekiah Walker and Friends, Vashawn Mitchell, Le'Andria Johnson, James Fortune & F.I.Y.A.

Sat, Aug. 11 @ 3:00 PM - Carolina Chocolate Drops, Buckwheat Zydeco, Abigail Washburn

Sun, Aug. 12 @ 4:00 PM - The Fourth Annual R&B Fest featuring Eric Benét and more TBA

Tues, Aug. 14 @ 7:00PM - Goapele, Yolanda Zama, Film Screening: "Come Back Africa"

Sat, Aug. 18 @ 3:00 PM - Australia Day featuring Megan Washington, Emma Donavan, DJ Ashley Feraude with Jonty Hall

Sun, Aug. 19 @ 3:00 PM - Jamaica's 50th Anniversary of Independence Celebration featuring Inner Circle, Israel Vibration, The Mighty Diamonds, DJ Carter Van Pelt

NOT FREE SHOWS:
    Mon, June 11 @ 6:00 PM- Foster the People with Tokyo Police Club and Kimbra (SOLD OUT)
    Mon, June 25 @ 7:00 PM - Childish Gambino with Danny Brown and Schoolboy Q (SOLD OUT)
    Tues, July 3 @ 7:00 PM - Norah Jones
    Mon, July 16 @ 6:30 PM - Young the Giant
    Mon, July 23 @ 6:00 PM - Beach House (SOLD OUT)
    Mon, Aug. 6 @ TBA - Old Crow Medicine Show
    Wed, Aug. 8 @ 6:30 PM - M83 (SOLD OUT)
    Wed, Aug. 29@ 6:30 PM - Beirut

7/29 Conor Oberst @ Summerstage
    8/2 Daniele Baldelli/Simian Mobile Disco @ PS1
    8/2 Magda @ Output
    8/3 Seth Troxler/the Martinez Brothers @ Gov Island
    8/3 Seth Troxler @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I've got Spiritualized tonight and the Pooh Sticks as part of NYC Pop Fest on the 19th.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by threeve View Post
    Saw Trampled by Turtles at Union Transfer a few weekends ago after having missed them on the main stage last year. Awesome show, amazing venue. Going to see Feist this week. Yay.
    I saw them on Wednesday. Love that their encore is New Son / Burnt Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I've got Spiritualized tonight
    I would certainly be there if I weren't seeing Die Walküre.

Great idea for a thread. I just went to see Blouse/Bear in Heaven at the First Unitarian Church last Wednesday. Have tickets to the upcoming Mogwai show, Radiohead, Riot Fest, the ATPIBYM, the recently announced GPYBE show, Sigur Ros at the Mann...it goes on!

I live a block from Johnny Brenda's in Fishtown. Always checking out shows there.

That spiritualized show was fan-fuckin-tastic last night.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am really excited for Erin McKeown as part of the Roots of American Music Festival on Sunday, August 12th. And that evening there is some sort of Gil Scott-Heron tribute so I might check that out, too. Anything else on the list stick out to anyone?
    I'm not a big Laura Nyro guy but if I were there I might go to that just to see Nona Hendryx.

Tom Paxton is of course a folk legend that might be worth seeing if you like legends and shit.

Swamp Dogg is kind of cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Woohoo! Celebrate Brooklyn free shows with Ghostface, AfroCubism, Little Dragon, Wild Flag and more....

http://www.bricartsmedia.org/perform...-the-bandshell

8/2 Magda @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Whoah, makes me wish I lived closer to Prospect Park. Laura Marling and Willy Mason! Wild Flag and Mission of Burma!

I may still try to go at least once.

I wish I worked in downtown Brooklyn

What's better than getting a little sexy? Getting sexy for free at noon in the middle of Metrotech, BAM is guessing. That theory will be put to the test once again at the 2012 R&B Festival at Metrotech Commons, the annual, completely free and open to the public series going down throughout the summer. Kicking off on June 7th with a performance from the legendary Larry Graham and Graham Central Station, the party goes down every Thursday at noon until middle August and features appearances from Aloe Blacc, Fishbone, Blitz the Ambassador, The Orchestre Poly-Rythmo, Shemekia Copeland and NRBQ, Ky-Mani Marley, and more.

2012 R&B Festival at MetroTech Schedule: (Thursdays at noon)
    Jun 7: Larry Graham and Graham Central Station
    Jun 14: Arturo O'Farrill and the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra
    Jun 21: Ky-Mani Marley
    Jun 28: Fishbone
    Jul 5: Van Hunt
    Jul 12: Shemekia Copeland and NRBQ
    Jul 19: The Orchestre Poly-Rythmo
    Jul 26: Pedrito Martinez
    Aug 2: Blitz the Ambassador
    Aug 9: Aloe Blacc

8/2 Magda @ Output

One of my favorite days of the year is back again! Free Marathon @ the World Financial Center Winter Garden this year from June 17, 12PM - June 18, 12AM...

Bang on a Can brings its 25 Year celebration back downtown with its incomparable 12-hour super-mix of boundary-busting music from around the corner and around the globe. What started as a scruffy loft concert in Soho back in 1987, now ranks among the iconic annual concert events in NYC. This year's edition features rare performances by some of the most innovative musicians of our time side-by-side with some of today's newest music pioneers. Some highlights include Bang on a Can All-Stars, astonishing cellist Maya Beiser, Pauline Oliveros' Deep Listening Band, sound pioneer Alvin Lucier, indie guitar sensation Kaki King, jazz genius Matthew Shipp, music by David Longstreth (Dirty Projectors), Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Steve Reich, David T Little, Ruby Fulton, Michael Harrison; film by Bill Morrison, and much more. Stay all Day!

Presented by River To River Festival, Arts Brookfield and Bang on a Can.

8/2 Magda @ Output

Anyone in NYC who can (I can't, as i'll be in NOLA that week) should go see Scala&Kolacny Bros at the Gramercy Theatre on 6/15.

Their set at Coachella last year was amazing.

Gah, I got shut out for Afghan Whigs at Bowery Ballroom. I am glad I still get to see them at Terminal 5, but.

Gah, I got shut out for Afghan Whigs at Bowery Ballroom. I am glad I still get to see them at Terminal 5, but.
    They should have made this will call only and not 4 ticket limit. After trying for 15 minutes, I finally snagged a pair. Fuck Bowery Presents!

8/2 Magda @ Output

Jay-Z curating 2 day music festival in Philly. Lineup will be announced today.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-philadelphia/

I was pretty close to Jay-Z and Beyonce when Grizzly Bear played the Williamsbug Waterfront a couple of years ago. Wonder if he'll have them on the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I was pretty close to Jay-Z and Beyonce when Grizzly Bear played the Williamsbug Waterfront a couple of years ago. Wonder if he'll have them on the lineup.
    I remember missing that show since I went to an afternoon sweat fest Lightning Bolt show. I did make it to the neighborhood that night though catching Edward Sharpe @ Music Hall for $5 beans...the place was packed and everyone was singing all the words while Devendra Banhart look alike was dancing his ass off. Kinda knew then they were going to get pretty big....

8/2 Magda @ Output

We took the plunge and got Leonard Cohen tickets, on the floor at MSG.

Part of me figured it'd be interesting to see how Barclays works for shows but then I realized I have never been to MSG either.

If anybody wants to pm me the fan club passsword for the Peter Gabriel So show at Jones Beach I would appreciate it.

Also while I'm at it, how does one travel between Jones Beach and NYC? I see rail options but they don't appear to run back to the city at night.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 05-23-2012 at 05:58 AM.

If anybody wants to pm me the fan club passsword for the Peter Gabriel So show at Jones Beach I would appreciate it.

Also while I'm at it, how does one travel between Jones Beach and NYC? I see rail options but they don't appear to run back to the city at night.
    Just realized tri-state Peter Gabriel shows are taking place during ATP NJ so I won't be able to make it As far as getting to Jones Beach, it's pretty pretty easy to get there. You can take the LIRR out to Freeport, and then MTA buses/shuttles run on the nights of shows. But I think after 8pm, MTA stops running their buses so you have to take a cab back to LIRR Freeport station.

8/2 Magda @ Output

Alright, sounds like there are some options. Thanks.

I can't make it to ATP NJ this year but as I've said in that thread, I'd be down for a one day thing commitment (not that this compares to a festival, but: So.)

Also I pulled tickets for Azealia Banks at Bowery Ballroom so yay for that.

Radiohead in a few weeks! Third row, yeah buddy.
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

Any DnB heads in the Northeast?
    USA vs UK battle

https://www.facebook.com/events/312684598793750/

ASides w/ MC Fats (UK) vs. Stunna (USA)

Komatic (UK) vs. Random Movement (USA)

DFunk (UK)

Methodus (USA)

-East vs West Matinee' Session-
    Overfiend (NY,USA) vs. Squake (Nashville, USA)

Dave Shichman (USA)