Thread: Ride a Tire's Piano String-Breaking Ben Folds Five Appreciation Thread!

Default Ride a Tire's Piano String-Breaking Ben Folds Five Appreciation Thread!

All right. So with Ben Folds Five reuniting this year, working on their first new album since 1999, and a tour to follow, there's just too much BF5 excitement in me to not have a thread about this. This is seriously my favorite band, and while I love Ben Folds solo career and have gone to every tour he's had in the last 8 years, there's something about the original trio that can't be replaced.

To start off excitement (from Ben Folds facebook):

OKAY! Let's try once again.

Have an unmastered track from the new Ben Folds Five album. It's called "Do It Anyway". The intensity of the track is typical of the rest of the album, but each song is quite different. That always was the way with our records I suppose. We're nearly done and I think it's a cracker.

http://bit.ly/IR7qg1

Posting this track, preaching to our online choir along with a few select interviews - I'm thinking Nerdist - will be the extent of the album promotion for the run up to the September release.

I realize that it's a luxury for us to promote only to fans. We've had the help of labels for years which gave us a leg up. The years of traditional promotion, soul draining as they might have been, affords us that luxury now. A start up band cannot easily do it this way. Our intention is not to 'stick it to the man'. He's quite stuck enough. We don't care to create a new model. We're just doing it the way it feels best this time around and quite honestly, making it up as we go along.

Please consider joining our label as Vice President of Promotion - There's unlimited room for vices. We'll credit you each in the LP vinyl album art somehow and if it won't all fit then we'll make poster art of names.

I recall being very excited to have had my name put on a knife in a glass case at a restaurant for being a frequent customer. I am one of many but I still beam with pride to point it out. Once had a star named after me too. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. I digress...

As Vice President of Promotion, all you have to do is put up with my tweeting and facebooking in the run up to the release, and recycle and retweet as much as you can deal with. I'll run ideas past you all, feel free to chime in.

We're not signed at the moment. We may sign a distribution deal or even a record deal if it all coincides with the way we want to work. Or not. We're chewing over plans. In any event, we'll go ahead and put the album on pre-sale soon ourselves and tweet like the wind.

We just need everyone to spread the word up to the release and put up with a few extra transmissions from me. I've got some more long winded blogging to do anyway.

Happy Friday, or maybe Saturday Morning.
    Back up link to song: http://www.sendspace.com/file/skcqrg

Enjoy!
    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

Default Re: Ride a Tire's Piano String-Breaking Ben Folds Five Appreciation Thread!

So, instead of taking a hint that the fanbase isn't on this board, I'm going to talk about how Ben Folds Five played their first gig as officially reunited trio today at Mountain Jam! Excited for their tour dates to come.

Setlist:

1.Jackson Cannery
    2.Theme From Dr. Pyser
    3.Fair
    4.Selfless Cold & Composed
    5.Uncle Walter
    6.Where's Summer B
    7.Mess
    8.Battle of Who Could Care Less
    9.Brick
    10.Emaline
    11.Army
    12.Kate
    13.Alice Childress
    14.Song for the Dumped
    15.Narcolepsy
    16.Improv
    17.Underground
    18.One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----

Default Re: Ride a Tire's Piano String-Breaking Ben Folds Five Appreciation Thread!

I like ben Folds but I always forget what is 5 and what is solo. But I support this just to hear him sing Bitches Ain't Shit at coachella 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Ben played "Do it anyway!" at his Music Box show, I think. I remember it that way.

Looking forward to seeing him around more, but he's not a big fan of SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Ben played "Do it anyway!" at his Music Box show, I think. I remember it that way.

Looking forward to seeing him around more, but he's not a big fan of SoCal.
    It was at the Wiltern show last summer. He said he wasn't going to do something and someone shouted "Do it anyway!" and he just started playing and singing that.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Ride a Tire! View Post
    8.Battle of Who Could Care Less
    was my jam in high school along with most of the rest of whatever and ever amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Bonnaroo Webcast right now.

http://www.youtube.com/bonnaroo

Hoping for some variation on the setlist. So far it's the same as Mountain Jam.
    ----

Thanks for the heads up. Watching it now.

Yep, same setlist as Mountain Jam, with "Philosophy" added between "Emaline" and "Army."

After watching that 1.5 hour set, I definitely would hate to see them at Coachella play a 50 min set. And if they start implementing new songs in, we're gonna be losing some gems.

I hope they start varying up setlists when they tour in the fall. I know I'd have a great time seeing this set live, but I'd definitely be willing to go to multiple shows if I could catch some different tunes.
    ----

North American Tour Dates... kind of. Carolinas, Texas, and KC added. So hopefully West Coast dates to follow in October, since they'll be in Australia in November. I will destroy if they conflict with TI, but then I will come to my senses and see BF5 over go to TI.

Dates:
    9/13 Holyoke, MA - Mountain Park Ampitheatre
    9/14 New York, NY - Central Park Rumsey Playfield
    9/16 Cary, NC - Koka Booth Ampitheatre
    9/18 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
    9/19 Charleston, SC - North Charleston PAC
    9/21 Pensacola, FL - Deluna Fest
    9/23 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
    9/24 Austin, TX - Stubbs Waller Creek Ampitheatre
    9/25 Houston, TX - Mayou Music Center
    9/28 Kansas City, MO - Starlight
    ----

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

man, i REALLY hope they come to L.A.!
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    man, i REALLY hope they come to L.A.!
    same. i watched their set on the bonnaroo webcast and really enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Also, their new album is set to go on sale on September 18th. Album title and cover art to be revealed this Friday. Non-pledging presale starting July 16th.

They sent an email out to anyone who pledged towards the album/pre-ordered it. I personally got the digital download/signed vinyl/BF5 tour t-shirt option.

Exciting time to be a BF5 fan, especially one who never saw 'em live originally, such as myself. Just need those damn LA dates!
    ----