Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: It's raining MCA. Damn.

Default Re: It's raining MCA. Damn.

Such a big loss to me and the world!

This death really feels strange to me. They were my favorite at one time. I've seen hundreds of shows in my 34 years, but Beastie Boys at Compton Terrace on the Ill Communication tour was my FIRST concert. It was fucking awesome.

RIP Adam

I was very sad to hear the news of Adam Yauch's death yesterday.
    We looked up to the Beastie Boys a lot when we were starting out and how they maintained artistic control making wicked records but still were on a major label, and the Tibetan Freedom Concerts they organized had a very big influence on me personally and the way Adam conducted himself and dealt with it all impressed me a lot. He was a mellow and v smart guy. May he rest in peace.

On another note check this out> people connecting the dots of our weird weather patterns, though the climate change deniers still frantically shout their voice is getting quieter.
    climate dots around the world

and some music..

1. Kurduli Hidjazkiar Taxim Kementchedi Alecco Open Strings
    2. Blue Horizon Sidney Bechet The Ultimate Collection
    3. Too Polite Feat. Louis Vines Throwing Snow
    4. When the Ship Comes In Bob Dylan
    5. Gene Piece, R.A.I Bird Pierre Henry, Pierre Schaeffer
    6. Strange Fruit Sidney Bechet
    7. Shake Your Rump Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
    8. Ghana: Voices & Percussion Vocalists and drummers of Ghana African Rhythms & Instruments: Vol 1
    9. Caves Of Paradise Actress R.I.P.
    10.Ascending Actress R.I.P.
    11.Ocoras Four Tet

Thom

http://radiohead.com/deadairspace/120505/Dot-Connectors

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/26 Joris Voorn @ Output
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp
    11/30 Run the Jewels @ Stage 48

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I remember being in 7th or 8th grade and hearing this live version Root Down at the Tibetian Freedom Concert and thinking it was the coolest song ever.

I think it was 95 or 96, but that's when I got into the Beastie Boys. I bought Ill Communication and within a few months I got into the rest of the albums. I lived in Mexico and never had a real chance to see them live. \

OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

I have to take a minute out from the tragedy of it all to marvel at "Dechen Wangdu." Dude married what might as well be a character in one of his own videos.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Hello Nasty was the first album I ever bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

This show was the greatest show Ive ever been to, by a mile. Nothing comes close to the experience of seeing the Beastie Boys in NYC, in a 400 person club, and then meeting my future wife there and lifelong friends, and meeting all 3 Beastie Boys, including a good 5min chat with Yauch after the show, and even having a quick conversation during the show about the 2004 Beastie Boys Adidas tour jacket that were personally made for each member, that I was wearing.

Here is a screen cap of Yauch and Mike asking about where I managed to get it:

and then their reaction once I told them where I got it off ebay. Lol
    Upcoming Shows:

Its really hard to put in to words the love and respect I have for the band and Yauch. It gets tough to keep typing after a few sentences.

Here are some photos Ive taken over the years.

Final show at Bonnaroo:

At the Greek in Berkeley

Some tickets....I should make something of all the stubs I have one day.

Queue all day at the barricade in Germany at the Hurricane Festival in 2007, Yauch is playing guitar for The Maestro

Performing a great set on the Wookie stage at Sasquatch 07

From the greatest show ever, where I was, I was able to talk to Yauch during the set about the jacket I had on, he grabbed my hand and pulled me on to the stage practically. Lots of high fives and incredible atmosphere with the most hardcore Bboy fans in NYC.

Here is the back of that jacket, the same they toured with in 04

This one might be my favorite of Yauch
    Upcoming Shows:

Lurker

Its very sad. R.I.P. MCA

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    This one might be my favorite of Yauch
    Awww. Bananaphone.
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

Adrock just posted on Beastieboys.com

as you can imagine, shit is just fkd up right now. but i wanna say thank you to all our
    friends and family (which are kinda one in the same) for all the love and support.
    i’m glad to know that all the love that Yauch has put out into the world is coming right back at him.
    thank you.
    Upcoming Shows:

Wow! They finally released the Chappelle aborted Season 3 performance of The New Style

Upcoming Shows:

something tells me we're going to be assaulted with all kinds of "unreleased" material
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Wow! They finally released the Chappelle aborted Season 3 performance of The New Style

WOW. Just wow. Love 1:39
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

it is just killing me that i never got to see them....was super excited for APW and when they had to cancel i was just super down but thought that, at least, they'd always hit Coachella once MCA got his health back

faaaaaaaaaaaack, it sucks that that never got to happen

RIP Adam and make sure to tell your friends that you love them anytime you can
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

I know, we should have tweeted and instagrammed every sad, happy and inspired thought, smile or tear by now. But honestly the last few days have just been a blur of deep emotions for our closest friend, band mate and really brother. I miss Adam so much. He really served as a great example for myself and so many of what determination, faith, focus, and humility coupled with a sense of humor can accomplish. The world is in need of many more like him. We love you Adam. BTW this photo sent to me by a friend, (thanks Saslow) is just one awesome example of how NYC is such a unique place that amidst it's huge size and frenetic pace it really opens up it's heart in so many ways and on on so many levels in times like these. And though it makes me cry sometimes, it has been really amazing and moving to see.

Mike

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

This fan already got a RIP tattoo.

The internet seems so empty and pointless right now, all I want is to just keep reading peoples comments and reactions about Yauch. It seems so wrong to be talking about anything else really. I often keep looking at a picture of Yauch, then shaking my head like, is this real? Did this really happen? Am I going to wake up all of a sudden?
    Upcoming Shows:

Keith from Every Time I Die: very well-written indeed

The first time I remember seeing my father sad was when Roy Orbison died. Until that point I had seen my father in the throes of numerous emotions but a sincere, genuine sadness was never one of them. It was hard to take seriously for a number of reasons. A) a sad father was something so unfamiliar to me that when he came downstairs and asked that we observe a moment of silence I figured he was being jokingly dramatic. B) I didn’t really know who Roy Orbison was and C) my father didn’t know Roy Orbison. When his records were played, they were played loudly and I immediately developed an affinity for his warbled falsetto but his death didn’t mean that someone would be coming around to remove his music from our house. To me, mourning seemed, I guess, unnecessary. My father didn’t lose a friend that he shared common memories with and in a sense he didn’t even really LOSE one of his favorite musicians. He may never again be able to make music, but its not as if Roy Orbison handed my father a list of all the great songs he would one day write and died before fulfilling his promise. I didn’t understand what the big deal was. Just put his record on and bring him back to life. Easy.

When Kurt Cobain died I was shocked for the simple fact that he did it himself. I loved Nirvana but more than that I loved being alive, so the idea that someone who coerced me through their music to actually FEEL alive would now go away without considering me? That made angrier than it did sad. I was 14, so being self important was second nature but so was being confused. Again, I knew I could still listen to his music whenever I wanted, but no one I had read or listened to or cared about or knew or even knew OF had ever killed themselves and it always seemed to me that pulling the trigger on a gun aimed at yourself defied certain laws of self-preservation or physics or something. Like M.C. Eschers hand drawing a hand, or Jerry the mouse picking himself up by his own tail in order that Tom run right under him and into a wall. His death didn’t sadden me as much as it did usher in the realization that the ethereal world of music was anchored in a very real collection of moments, just like the ones I had, and those moments existed independently of anything I ever may have gotten out of a song. Until that point, music had just been a bunch of sounds being pushed out of this huge black box sitting on the dresser in my room that were- if I was lucky- attracted to certain thoughts I was having and given a form in the meaning that actualized inside of me. The lyrics came from a person and the riff from an instrument in a studio somewhere but once that tape stopped, those people disappeared. They were there to entertain us and could arrive and vanish at my discretion. Whenever I needed a distraction or an incentive or a mood I would take their voice out of the little plastic case and summon it. They got a lot of money and all the happiness in the world and I got a CD or a tape and that’s how it worked for a 14 year old suburban kid. Until I heard Kurt Loder report the news. Cobains death changed everything for me. It got my attention. It made me aware that music wasn’t for me, it was for the people making it and all I could ever do was hope that somehow I could make a connection to the ones that did. It showed me that there was a depth to music that I never thought to consider, one that housed demons of unparalleled strengths. I couldn’t believe how much of the music experience I had been missing out on by failing to realize that. That gunshot startled me awake.

When Dimebag was killed, it was the first time that a musicians passing could actually be considered “close to home”. Aside from Pantera being the first band I ever “headbanged” to (Darien Lake with Sepultura and Biohazard, 1994) people I knew actually knew him. They drank and partied and talked with him. As children, like me, they saw him as a legend and got closer as he moved from “legend” to “friend” and then back to “legend” just because of the kind of friend he was to those he knew. All of a sudden that was gone. To say that that news was tragic is a vast understatement. It was a game changer for anyone who took the stage. There was no feeling safe anymore. There was no trusting people who “loved” you or what you did. It made the world as I knew it slip further out of my own control and instantly shifted the paradigm back where it was before I had learned of Cobain. On that day and forevermore, music was ONLY about the people who listened to it. They had your fate as a musician in their hands. You may disagree completely and say that it HAS to be about the musician or else its soulless and I agree, it must start from there but I firmly believe it must end somewhere else. That somewhere else is in the hands of the listener and what they do with it and with you is none of your business and it is hopelessly out of your reach. If you think I’m wrong, budding musicians, write a record and don’t record it. Don’t tour on it. Just keep it to yourself knowing that at least its yours. Your “career” as a musician will be over before it started. What matters most is how carefully you preserve that understanding while you make your art. Some chose to pander to it with a surgeons precision, others ignore it completely but every musician and artist and director knows that it is there, the proverbial elephant in the room. It is the level of consideration of the audience that establishes the tiered and often biased scale of “cred” we assign to those who we give our short and rapidly dwindling attention span to. Now, I didn’t know him personally so I will not use this paragraph as an excuse to co-opt others grief and regress into a 14 year olds sense of self importance, but I will say this- I miss the riffs that man could have one day written. I understood on that day why my father felt as if he “lost” Roy Orbison. Just think about how important Dimes riffs would be today in a “heavy music” scene dictated by synthesizer breakdowns and makeup.

That brings me to the reason I sat down to write today at all. Adam Yauch passed away of cancer last Friday. I was in Vienna when I found out and my first reaction was “yea, cancer will do that. what a shame”. But as more outlets started posting the story and my twitter feed became clogged with old videos or memories that people had of first hearing License To Ill or Pauls Boutique, the sadness went from something I knew I should feel but for some reason couldn’t to a very palpablesense of loss. When I say I “couldn’t feel” sadness its not because I am impartial to death, but my understanding of it as ruthless, unprejudiced and inevitable fails to allow much room for surprise. He was sick with a terminal disease. Death will come. It was the hearing of THAT news that really shocked me. But as the night went on and I got closer to our set time, I began thinking harder and with more clarity about why I was there at all, about to perform on the other side of the world with a band like ETID and soon something unmistakably set in as “gone”. The world had experienced a real loss, like someone was telling you something important and never finishing the sentence. The breath was spent before the last number of the sequence could be revealed. The Beastie Boys were an enormous part of my growing up and because of that, they are an enormous part of who I am today. Nothing can take that away from me, not even cancer. It had been years since I thought about the excitement of getting one of their CD’s for my birthday or how every weekend of every winter was spent in my friends car driving 45 minutes to snowboard with their music blaring on the ride there and back. Why did it take MCA’s death to get me to cherish my childhood once again? Why have I come so far from that unexplainable, almost spiritual sense of relief and love and envy that I felt when I saw the video for “So What’cha Want” to where I am now where mainstream music can barely move me at all? Did their music do to the world what it did to me? Did it make you want to do nothing but love your friends and give you a confidence you never had as you timed your steps through the halls of your high school with the beat that played in your headphones? The Beastie Boys made music fun and they made me smile but not because they were solicitous of a child my age, but because they were inventive and consistent and you got the idea that they were friends. They were a crew you wanted to be a part of- rowdy, creative, sincere and forever. Every time you got on your skateboard with a Beastie Boys tape in the boombox you were staring in your own video. Fuck, I’m a white kid from an affluent suburb of buffalo NY and it made me wish I could RAP. They had been lodged in my subconscious as the representation of an ideal I had become too jaded to acknowledge anymore and the news of his death jarred it loose. Music can be for everyone. The musician and the fan are not mutually exclusive. You can create exactly what you want because you are not an island, there will always be someone to revel in the human experience of your art like I basked in theirs. The lyrics were so clever and the music was so inspiring that all I ever wanted to do was write in way that made people read it and go “oh! I get it. cool” and play music with my friends and I just wanted to have fun and give myself over to excitement and stay possessed by awe and live life as loudly as I could and I wanted to sweat and sing and make people laugh and remind them that its ok to look stupid sometimes and its ok to be proud and young and weird and as our intro played everything suddenly focused and I realized something I hadn’t before. that’s exactly what I was doing. A stone was taken out of the music worlds foundation, but what was built around it is too big to fall. Thank you MCA. Rest in Peace.

http://www.keith-buckley.com/2012/05/you-dont-stop.html

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp

I hope that from all of this, maybe a tribute album comes out with different artists covering beastie boys.... or old projects that got left behind, The Mix Up Pt 2 featuring Jarvis Cocker, MIA, Snoop Dogg, supposedly they made a music video for every song off The Mix Up, Id love to see those, or the Gala dvd that they filmed at the Riviera in 2007. Here is the setlist from the show...drool

Upcoming Shows:

Excellent article by Perry Farrell

Perry Farrell Remembers Adam Yauch
    'He was such a part of our party vernacular – our musical vernacular'

I first saw the Beastie Boys when they came to L.A. and played an afterhours party. A couple of the guys from Jane's Addction, Dave [Navarro] and Stephen [Perkins], were with me. They were playing instruments in those days – they were kind of punk rock, and they had a reputation when they came out. We checked them out, and then of course when they exploded I remembered them.

They came up together with us, in a way. They were on the East Coast and we were on the West Coast, but they came from Brooklyn – my family comes out of Brooklyn, too, and they're Jewish, so that was another connection. I saw they were wild, but they had a side to them that was very intelligent and I wanted to befriend them. So we had them play Lollapalooza in '94, which might have been, before Chicago, the best Lollapalooza we'd ever done. They went out on the road with George Clinton and the Smashing Pumpkins were there, too, and it was definitely one of the highlight years of Lollapalooza.

Through the years, I kept in touch with Adam. When they did the Tibetan Freedom Concert, they invited me to perform with Porno for Pyros and again, I got to know them a little bit better. I remember we would have these relay races through the hallways in the hotels with just our friends, and a bottle of wine as the baton. It endeared me to him and to the Beastie Boys. I kind of felt like they were family, but once removed.

When I saw Mike D a couple of weeks ago, I asked about Adam and how he was. And people don't know this, but I'd been trying to connect with Adam to get him to come out and do another Lollapalooza. After a while, I just stopped hearing back from him. And of course they hadn't performed since 2009, so not hearing anything wasn't good news. I would ask him about on the fringes, and I didn't really hear great things.

The last time I saw Adam, they invited me to play Rock the Vote to get Obama elected. I brought out Etty [Lau Farrell, Perry's wife] and we performed as PerryEtty. That's a happy memory where we hung out for a really good cause. From there, I would text him every once in a while, see how he was feeling. He would text me really kind of sad things. He would say, "We're giving up our studio. If you want to use our studio, you can use it." I hung out with Tim Leary before he died, and he was giving away his clothing and stuff like that. It's really a very sad feeling; it's kind of like an estate sale.

He's probably in a great place, and I'm thinking about him and everybody's prayers are with him. But there has to be a period of mourning, and now is the time.

We have a show tonight in Alabama, and I'm just kind of thinking to myself, "How do I bring that Jane's Addiction party to these people when I feel so sad right now?" They were the Beastie Boys – they were all about life and fun and partying. Their songs are played when people want to get up and get out and have energy, and this band is now silent. He was a good guy – that's the thing that kind of strikes a really bad chord. He was a really good guy trying to help people, and all about being innocent and wild, and even immature if you want to be. He was really such a part of our party vernacular – our musical vernacular. That's where it gets me. It's a very gray day.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...yauch-20120504
    Upcoming Shows:

Keith's a very well-versed writer from what I've read of his.

The internet seems so empty and pointless right now, all I want is to just keep reading peoples comments and reactions about Yauch. It seems so wrong to be talking about anything else really. I often keep looking at a picture of Yauch, then shaking my head like, is this real? Did this really happen? Am I going to wake up all of a sudden?
    I guess somebody needs to be the dick here, but seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I guess somebody needs to be the dick here, but seriously?
    I guess you dont have the emotional attachment or experiences with the band like I did. So you dont get it.
    Upcoming Shows:

Hey Paul. So I've always known you to be the beastie boys guy around here. And honestly you were the first person I thought of when I heard the news (which is strange since we've never met besides limited interactions on here). But I was curious as to why they meant so much to you? What was it about them that made you the devoted fan you are? If you don't want to share I get it but I'm, just curious about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Thats how you do it.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Keith's a very well-versed writer from what I've read of his.
    Yea he writes some of the best lyrics in the music business. Check out ETID! Before he became a full time musician, he used to teach English so it's not too surprising. Very smart dude for sure

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp

I got into the Beasties late. I graduated high school in '96, and I didn't buy a Beasties album until, I believe, after 1998 (it was a used copy of Paul's Boutique). They did a lot of great songs, I agree with Perry's statement that their music was "all about life and fun and partying". It's very life-affirming. I have a mix on my iPod called 'Cheer Up!' filled with songs that make me laugh or smile - there's several Beastie Boys tracks on there.

I never got to see them live. Was going to see them at the Austin City Limits Fest in '09 but they cancelled.

R.I.P. Adam Yauch.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I know everyone's already seen the one from the bowl show, but this one's even better. When the crowd says "Bea-stie-Boys!" at the end I started tearing up. I know crying to a Coldplay song takes the gay to a whole new level but I couldn't help it.