Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: It's raining MCA. Damn.

Default Re: It's raining MCA. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    The first song I remember falling in love with was Paul Revere. Except I heard it for the first time in 98 and didn't know the name of it, I just new it was the Beastie Boys. I just assumed it was their newest single so I went to the store and asked for the newest album from them and they gave me Hello Nasty. First album I ever bought right there. I was so disappointed to discover it wasn't on there after the first listen. After a month of saving up what little money a 10 year old kid I finally got Licensed to Ill, the second album I ever bought. So upset I never got to see them either. My parent's thought I was to young to go see them. then I'll admit I stopped listening to them for sometime. Then I saw them on the OSL line up in 2009 and that made me rediscover them, and then the cancer happened. Sad day for all of music. RIP MCA
    This reminds me...I think I really got into them because Live 105 played "Paul Revere" and a couple of other jams when they were doing one of their weekend-long countdowns.

I also remember listening to "Intergalactic" over and over again on cassette with a kid from my soccer team the only time I went over to his house. We were 9 or 10. The beat was so foreign to me and my musical taste. It blew my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

License to Ill was one of my first CDs ever... still have it somewhere, scratched to all hell. My brother and I would play it on repeat... RIP. So sad I never saw them live...
    Last edited by ods..; 05-04-2012 at 07:01 PM.

RIP
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    They were the reason I found out about Coachella; I was wondering why they hadn't played live in forever except for some music festival that the White Stripes and Iggy & the Stooges also played, found the lineup and decided that I wanted to go (the Pixies being on the bill the following year cemented it.)
    Holy fuck - I totally forgot about this side of it. They were also my introduction to Coachella - from a knowledge standpoint, at least - and if I'd owned a car or known anyone attending in 2003, I probably would have gone to that. Sure, Radiohead and the Pixies ultimately led me to the grounds, but Beastie Boys were the initial gateway to the event that brought me to my wife and most of my best California friends (in addition to 8 excellent festival weekends).

I'm so fucking grateful I got to see them in September 2004 - front pit at the Long Beach Arena. They opened with a dog trick show, then a Talib Kweli solo set (which, to be fair, was largely shit), and then they came out and killed it for 90 minutes. Without that night, there would be a gigantic (and now, irredeemable) hole in my musical life.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I haven't listened since I was a kid, but I just realized Licensed to Ill was the first album I ever bought. Listening again now.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

I was a huge fan growing up. It all started with Ill Communication for me. My music education and love of different genre's comes from their albums. Without the Beasties I probably would have never gotten into underground Hip Hop, Jazz, Funk, Hardcore Punk, etc. It starts with those guys. Even out of music, my knowledge of Tibet is from MCA I got into indie films and skateboarding because of Spike Jonze working with them. I owe a lot to them. So thanks MCA.

?uestlove sums them up pretty well with this too.
    http://www.okayplayer.com/news/mca-w...questlove.html

I only got to see them once, but they were the best thing I saw at Virgin Festival in Baltimore
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

I remember seeing this from MTV's VMA 1998, rather ballsy of MCA with this speech

Truly a loss for the world

Sucks. I don't think there is much info out there on his exact medical condition other than that he had a parotid tumor. Kinda sad cuz the great majority (>90%) of parotid tumors are benign. Guess he was unlucky in the regard...

Beastie Boys at MSG 1998 was my first concert. They'll always hold a special place with me for that.

My 2nd concert was Pantera at Hammerstein Ballroom 1999. Looks like my first two shows featured band members who would die tragically young. Glad I got to see them while I had the chance.

Even though Beastie Boys were always on top, they were my introduction to backpack hip hop. Beastie Boys were my Internet as they pushed samples of music that made seek out many other genres at the record store. They also introduced me to the world of b-sides.

Hot damn guys, I've teared up at every Beasties song I heard today, and in particular it was impossible to get through The Sounds of Science. They really were kind of a life-changing act for most of us in the 90s. Shocked and incredibly saddened.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

This really hit me harder than I expected. Like most of you have said, I always thought he would be back on the stage someday very soon. I never got to see them live, either. Always thought I would see them on the Polo Field one of these years. I saw this shirt at Target tonight and just had to buy it. It was the least I could do to honor MCA today.

4/9 - Sleigh Bells (Crescent Ballroom); 4/11-13 - Coachella Weekend 1; 4/15 - Neutral Milk Hotel (Crescent Ballroom); 4/17 - Lorde (Comerica Theatre); 4/21 - CHVRCHES (Marquee Theatre); 5/10 - Morrissey (LA Sports Arena);8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I was watching the Diamondbacks/Mets game earlier...

Former Beastie Boy Adam "MCA" Yauch, who died Friday of cancer, was known to be a big Mets fan, and the players had a cool way to pay tribute to him. Every Mets player came to bat to a Beastie Boys song, an idea hatched by infielder Justin Turner and outfielder Scott Hairston. The Mets were rocking out to their songs in the clubhouse before the game.
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...#ixzz1tyjsqWFA
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

The first piece of music I ever bought was Ill Communication on tape after I fell in love with "Sabotage" watching the music video on MTV. The tape was green if I remember correctly. MCA seemed like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders. Tragic.

old school
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-boys-dies/?hp

Mr. Yauch’s mother said he died at 9 a.m. on Friday at New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan with his parents, his in-laws, his wife, Dechen Wangdu, and his 13-year-old daughter, Tenzin Losel Yauch, at his bedside.* He had been admitted to the hospital on April 14 after a three-year battle with cancer of the salivary gland. He was conscious until the end.“He was a very courageous person,” his mother, Frances Yauch, said. “He fought a long battle with cancer.*He was hopeful to the very end.”Mrs. Yauch said had been undergoing chemotherapy this spring, but his health deteriorated rapidly over the last two weeks. “It all just seemed to happen overnight,” she said.* She added: “He was a terrific guy and had a brief but really wonderful life. We are really proud of him.”
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Sorry PaulB
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

That quote is heartbreaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

I never could get into the Beastie Boys nor have I ever really delved into their backstory. But I am absolutely glued to any and all news about this. Definitely a big loss for the music world. He really had quite an impact.
    For your health

Listening to Paul's Boutique for the first time in years.
    Mazxy star was nice and dreamy robightm crowd wouldn't follow no photo request. First time in the green room. Mmm free beer and wine.glad I got to see them Cruz I missed Coachella 3012

sad......
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    That is one of the *strangest* covers i've ever heard.

But I admit, it grew on me as i listened to it.

There is no denying that the Beastie Boys had a huge influence on my tastes growing up. Thanks to my older brother I found myself listening to License to Ill constantly back in 88 (2 years late) when I was 8 years old while all the other (lame) kids around me were obessed with Kokomo and Hangin' Tough. My older brother also managed to get me hooked on Pink Floyd's The Wall, Guns N' Roses and NWA. Like most people I grew away from these early influences and somewhat abandonded them for awhile. I really disliked all hip hop when I was in high school. I occasionally enjoying Beastie Boys thanks to heavy airplay of songs like Sabotage, but I didn't really remember how much I enjoyed them untill the road trip to Coachella in 2001. The couple kind enough to let me ride along with them to jammed a non-stop Beastie mix tape all the way there from Vegas.

When I found out the news I was pretty much numb to it. He's been fighting Cancer since 2009, and Cancer sucks hard. It just wasn't terribly shocking, it was just life. It ends. His music however is likely going to out live us all. For what it's worth Intergalatic makes me lose my fucking mind everytime I hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    I remember seeing this from MTV's VMA 1998, rather ballsy of MCA with this speech

Truly a loss for the world
    The Beastie Boys & Public Enemy provided much of the soundtrack to my childhood. License to Ill was the first album I ever owned. My "cool" Uncle bought me it on vinyl for my birthday. I still own it, though I didn't take great care of the record and can't really spin it anymore, nor do I have the means to. I used to listen to the album on repeat non-stop. It was the first album I can remember listening to that actually challenged my musical taste. Before that perhaps I was too young to really care or simply force fed NKOTB through my sister's speakers. Of course I upgraded License to Ill to cassette & CD when the format came out. New life long friends were made with whom I share many great memories that are attached to the Beastie Boys music. I was fortunate enough to see them headline the Tibetan Freedom Concert, one of the greatest festivals I've ever been to, (Bjork, Blur, Pavement & Taj Mahal were the other notable acts to play that day) and I also got to see them on the In the Round tour. Would have loved to see them one more time, preferably on the Polo Fields.

The Mariners and the Mets both had Beasties playing for all the walk up music, and I watched MSNBC today for a few min and they had Sure Shot playing in to the commercial break. Loved that Coldplay tribute and all the tweets and respect going around for Yauch. I had the priviledge of meeting Yauch a few times and he was an incredibly down to earth, who genuinly appreciated his fans. I will have to post some stories and experiences with him once Im back home from Chicago and not posting from a phone. I love reading everyones kind words, its helping get through this tough time.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Damn, it still hurts after 24 hours. Never in my life have I thought much beyond a few hours after a celebrity's passing.

The first time I heard the Beastie Boys was when two sisters (whom are an awesome story in and of themselves) in my Girl Scout troop sang their hearts out to Paul Revere at a camp fire my freshman year of high school. They played it for me later on a Walkman in the tent and I totally fell in love with the Boys' energy, their creativity, and their obvious ability to not take themselves seriously.