Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you find out about good EDM?

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Default Re: How do you find out about good EDM?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    Podcasts. Can't imagine sifting through beatport and the like for individual tracks. Do follow the output of labels that I trust.

The following will provide exposure to a wide variety of genres, some moreso than others.

RA podcast
    FACT mix
    xlr8r podcast
    mnml ssgs mix series
    smoke machine podcast
    John Osborn's TANSTAAFL series

Ignore the Essential Mix. Its mostly pathetic these days.

As to live sets: http://soundcloud.com/r_co.
    Definitely this.

Re: OP - you can sign up to receive a lot of these podcasts via iTunes for free and new editions will automatically download to your comp. Then if you hear something you like you can lookup their record label and give their label mates a try, whose sound is often similarly minded.

Happy hunting.

I just ask Cara and Heidi; they know stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

hahhaha right!

Whenever I hear a track I like I find out what it is and text it to myself. After a month or two I go look up the goldmine of tracks I've saved and BOOM. Tons of new music. I love that feeling of forgetting about it and relistening to it. Brand new shit that you love instantly.

Youtube is another option. Pull up stuff you like and then look at the related videos. Then the related videos of the related videos and so on. Good way to find new artists of whatever particular genre you are into.

Honestly, the heads that frequent the edm sector of this board know whats up. I also love radio shows like the bbc essential mix, fact mix, ra podcasts.... They put people onto some good stuff.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Ross, i didnt see your post, but the essential mix is legedary. Talking shit is like saying "coachella basically sucks atm". While it may be true for us, people less experienced will still love it.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Menik

Another word about podcasts. Many are programmed and mixed w/ the home listener in mind. I find it can be difficult to fully appreciate a live recording w/out a sense for the mood of the room on that particular night. When I'm able to listen to a recording of a night I attended I'll frequently find myself drawn to parts of the mix that didn't pop out the first go round in a live setting. And vice-versa.

Back when MySpace was more utilized by artists, I'd find one artist I liked and then visited their "friends" (typically other artists). 3 hours later I weaved my way through a lot of different tunes.

Now, I follow a lot of artists on FB and just listen to a shit ton of music on Beatport or Juno.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    I just ask Cara and Heidi; they know stuff.
    Hah. At this point, I just wait for Ross to point me to mixes, then talk about them as if I know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I found out about "good EDM" through a variety of ways. One was stalking beatport.com releases in the minimal/tech-house/deep-house genre sections, keeping up with new ones and just going deeper and deeper finding tracks that I dug. Beatport has tons of artist charts etc etc, there's a lot of good stuff on there, also a lot of terrible stuff.

I had always liked Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, other kinds of IDM... but I went to Europe after senior year of high school and hearing deep/minimal on soundsystems in clubs for the very first time played a huge role in my music consumption. I'd never listened to music like that in that kind of setting. So from there I started exploring beatport, going to more EDM shows, expanding my knowledge of artists/labels/genres.

But yeah, that's my advice. Listen to previews on beatport and see what you're into... but you'll only really know once you see it live in your face and you're dancing on some bitty in the darkness
    We can go deeper.

Essential Mixes
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

going to raves or big insomniac parties (or whatever they want you to call them these days) works too
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....