Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TOOL for Coachella 2013 please

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: TOOL for Coachella 2013 please

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Love me some Tool, but Maynard's been mailing in live performances for the better part of a decade.
    Then you didn't see them on this latest leg. They sounded incredible.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Best drummer in the world.

2013: Tool first three time Headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Agreed. I was blown away.

Signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

I think most people were pretty confident we were going to see Radiohead headline due to the fact they had recently released KoL, I would feel the same confidence in a Tool headline slot if they had new material. 10,000 days came out in April 2006, the same month they headlined last and I read an article where Danny Carey said they would be in the studio in June to start tracking a new album. The only thing I am wary about is that it seems too good to be true, first Radiohead, followed by Tool headlining the next year! Cool shit like that never happens to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Someone hasnt been to live tool in this decade.
    Saw them on just about every major tour since 93, including this last one and plenty of times this decade.

In fact if I hadn't seen so many amazing, energetic, overwhelming performances in the 90s, I'd probably be happy with the 3rd rate effort Maynard regularly puts forth now.

But I did, and there's no comparison. By all means though, if you think seeing a frontman hide at the back of the stage and regularly turn his back to the crowd for long stretches is the tits, good for you and your low standards. I saw him too many times when his voice was still intact and he actually gave a shit about performing to think the current routine is anything but sub-par, disinterested posturing by an inflated ego with weak pipes.

Rest of the band still kills though.
    Last edited by mrhand; 05-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.

You're right, I need Maynard front and center, while facing me, to enjoy their performance. Seriously? He's been in the back of the stage since '01, get over it man, it's his thing.

As for his pipes? Yes, they've definitely weakened, we all know this, but are you seriously going to complain after their last tour? Hooker? Ticks? Pushit? Parabol(a)? Just stop. Maynard isn't the band, which is what you pointed out, but you clearly base your opinion of the band on him.
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

There's nothing cooler than seeing Maynard's silhouette dancing in front of a screen with amazing visuals..

Plus he still sounds great, not sure what you're talking mrhand. They're all great musicians, still.

Saw them on just about every major tour since 93, including this last one and plenty of times this decade.

In fact if I hadn't seen so many amazing, energetic, overwhelming performances in the 90s, I'd probably be happy with the 3rd rate effort Maynard regularly puts forth now.

But I did, and there's no comparison. By all means though, if you think seeing a frontman hide at the back of the stage and regularly turn his back to the crowd for long stretches is the tits, good for you and your low standards. I saw him too many times when his voice was still intact and he actually gave a shit about performing to think the current routine is anything but sub-par, disinterested posturing by an inflated ego with weak pipes.

Rest of the bank still kills though.
    I think it's great you saw them way back in the day. I was not so fortunate. I didn't discover them until 2002 on the Lateralus tour. I understand your complaint but I think it's a bit unreasonable. 1993 was almost 20 years ago. Maynard was 21 years old then. He's over 40 now. He's a human being and like all of us, grows and changes over the years. Is he not allowed to do things differently? Isn't he, as an artist, allowed to present his art in the way that he sees fit? If you need some fiery 20 year old belting out lyrics, go see some thrasher band at your local dive bar. I understand you're all nostalgic about the good ol days but just get over it. Sounds like you're thankful about being able to catch them at that period in their career, but complaints about Maynard not meeting people's expectations are ridiculous. Leave the man be.

And honestly, why all the focus on one guy anyways? He's 1/4 of the band. If Maynard isn't doing it for you, then try checking out some of the other guys. They're pretty good too. I always thought the band had stressed themselves as being a cohesive unit. But it seems like so many people try to focus on the lead singer and bitch when he doesn't meet some kind of subjective expectations about what a singer should or shouldn't do.

I don't need a singer to be jumping around yelling "make some noise!!!!" for me to enjoy the show. In fact, I prefer Maynard's silhouette. Tool is kind of like Radiohead in that their presence is felt through the music and their giant, awesome stage/setup/lighting. I feel what makes them unique, especially compared to other nu-metal, is that they treat their shows as an artistic experience, not just a place to have dumb fun.

If there's a complaint with Tool it's that they've been weak on setlist creativity. They throw you a bone opening with 3rd eye or something like that but they've more or less been playing the same set since 2006.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 05-03-2012 at 07:01 PM.

lets refrain from calling tool "nu-metal"
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    I don't need a singer to be jumping around yelling "make some noise!!!!" for me to enjoy the show. In fact, I prefer Maynard's silhouette. Tool is kind of like Radiohead in that their presence is felt through the music and their giant, awesome stage/setup/lighting. I feel what makes them unique, especially compared to other nu-metal, is that they treat their shows as an artistic experience, not just a place to have dumb fun.

If there's a complaint with Tool it's that they've been weak on setlist creativity. They throw you a bone opening with 3rd eye or something like that but they've more or less been playing the same set since 2006.
    Stinkfist, Schism, 46 &2, Jambi, Lateralus, Aenema have stayed in their set, then they usually play a wildcard off of Undertow and a wildcard off of Lateralus or Aenema, and 10k Days. I really wouldn't want it any other way. I've got to see Wings for Marie, the Pot, the Patient, Intolerance, Pushit, etc. Keep in mind they don't have a massive catalog like Radiohead also. I'd really be happy to hear anything off their last 3 albums, not as big of a fan of the Undertow and Opiate
    Last edited by nick5745; 05-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.

i'd give anything for them to bring back the grudge, but there is no way maynard's voice could handle that that.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

i'd give anything for them to bring back the grudge, but there is no way maynard's voice could handle that that.
    That scream

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    Stinkfist, Schism, 46 &2, Jambi, Lateralus, Aenema have stayed in their set, then they usually play a wildcard off of Undertoe and a wildcard off of Lateralus or Aenema, and 10k Days. I really wouldn't want it any other way. I've got to see Wings for Marie, the Pot, the Patient, Intolerance, Pushit, etc. Keep in mind they don't have a massive catalog like Radiohead also. I'd really be happy to hear anything off their last 3 albums, not as big of a fan of the Undertoe and Opiate
    Undertow

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    Undertow
    Sorry its been a long week haha thanks.

D/R/T > everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Don't hate me, but I wanna see his side project Puscifer.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolswaglol View Post
    I don't see people on the map. somebody please help. does this mean coachella is canceled?
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.
    Coachella lifer since 2007

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

so much derp
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mae West View Post
    Don't hate me, but I wanna see his side project Puscifer.
    no one's going to flame you for this, but they've played tons of shows pretty much errywhere.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I saw Tool in Reno on their latest tour, and they did Ticks and Leeches, which my friend who is a Tool fanatic told me they haven't done much live because it's so hard on Maynard's voice. Ticks and Leeches sounded great so evidently he still has the pipes. I was fortunate enough to see Tool in the 90's, (96/97) and I think as the whole the band sounds better now (more cohesive, more intense) than they did then. Also, I think its fucking sweet how he stands in the back by Danny Carey, he does it in order to focus the attention on the whole band, not just him. When I saw them in the 90s, Maynard was wearing nothing but tidy widys and covered head to toe in purple paint, those days are long gone.

People get older, their voices can't do the same shit it used to. Radiohead just put on one of my favorite shows ever but I couldn't help but notice that Thom's voice wasn't quite the thing it used to be. The awesome thing is both Thom and Maynard are still better than 98 percent of other singers even on their bad days.

Also, Tool will most certainly be there next year, and that will be the day I do an insane amount of drugs and see what kind of an app we get this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Rest of the band still kills though.
    So your the guy who also thinks radiohead hit their peak in 96? Grow the fuck up.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

yes please.

signed

Quote Originally Posted by bucketofpower View Post
    You're right, I need Maynard front and center, while facing me, to enjoy their performance. Seriously? He's been in the back of the stage since '01, get over it man, it's his thing.
    You're right, it's his thing. His stupid, pointless, fucking thing. The fact that it's his thing doesn't make he or it immune from criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    Is he not allowed to do things differently? Isn't he, as an artist, allowed to present his art in the way that he sees fit?
    Of course he is. And I'm allowed to express my opinion about the relative merits of how he currently does things and presents his art in comparison to how he chose to do so in the past.

I don't need a singer to be jumping around yelling "make some noise!!!!" for me to enjoy the show.
    Maynard never did that. Try mixing a point in next time.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    So your the guy who also thinks radiohead hit their peak in 96? Grow the fuck up.
    Nope. I'm the guy who thinks Radiohead hit their peak in 2001. And if "growing the fuck up" involves blindly bowing at the altar of Maynard or Thom without recognizing a differentiation in the quality of their music and live shows over time, I'll pass. "Your" certainly all growed up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Billy Corgan can't headline a diner anymore.
    Sad but true.

Deftones? I hate to say it again - BUT BROFUCKINGCHELLABRO (although that is probably every coachella till the end)
    This is just false. I've been to many Deftones shows, and their fans are less bro than most of the genre, including Tool fans. The real problem with this suggestion is the fact that they are in no way big enough to headline.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Tool would fucking bring it

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Sad but true.

This is just false. I've been to many Deftones shows, and their fans are less bro than most of the genre, including Tool fans. The real problem with this suggestion is the fact that they are in no way big enough to headline.
    I wasn't suggesting they headline per say, but sub-headline or second line would be awesome

You're right, it's his thing. His stupid, pointless, fucking thing. The fact that it's his thing doesn't make he or it immune from criticism.

Of course he is. And I'm allowed to express my opinion about the relative merits of how he currently does things and presents his art in comparison to how he chose to do so in the past.

Maynard never did that. Try mixing a point in next time.

Nope. I'm the guy who thinks Radiohead hit their peak in 2001. And if "growing the fuck up" involves blindly bowing at the altar of Maynard or Thom without recognizing a differentiation in the quality of their music and live shows over time, I'll pass. "Your" certainly all growed up though.
    tldr: "I'm mad that I can't enjoy Tool shows anymore because Maynard doesn't let me see him and all of you guys shouldn't enjoy them either"

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    tldr: "I'm mad that I can't enjoy Tool shows anymore because Maynard doesn't let me see him and all of you guys shouldn't enjoy them either"
    tldr: "I can neither read nor comprehend."

I'm 23 years old now. Discovered Tool when I was 16. I have never gotten a chance to see them live. Tool is my favorite band and I do enjoy reading the bickering you share about how their show has gone down hill but the truth is there are people like me out there that couldn't give a fuck about what you have to say. I feel I am running out of time to see my favorite band live. I am going to say that this next album they are working on is probably going to be their last followed by their last tour. If Tool is on the bill next Coachella it will be 100% the reason I attend. I will probably camp the stage all day as well.

My understanding is that Maynard has never really enjoyed the spot light when it came to being in Tool because he was surrounded by three other AMAZING musicians. Personally Danny is my favorite followed by Adam.
    2013: Tool first three time Headliner.