Thread: Scavenging new gear for your camp after the fest?

Default Scavenging new gear for your camp after the fest?

Monday morning, Weekend 1 I look around my camp and I notice my neighbors had all mostly left.

The guys behind me had left most of their camp behind... they had been jerks. When we arrived we asked them if they could lend us the instructions to their carport (we had the same one, and our instructions got lost in travel). They said no, and also didn't want to help us figure it out... so I said fuck them and walked into their camp to look at the carport and how it was assembled. Figured it out, went back to put it together.

Friday night we come back to camp... our camp is just as we left it, except for a tear in the carport canopy. Ours had been horizontal, following the length of the 10x30 spot. They put theirs across both their camping spots vertically. It seems to have caught the wind, and it twisted it to shit.

So after the weekend was over, they ditched camping chairs and the "ruined" carport. So being a Burner, I never pass up materials that can be re-purposed. They had a brand new canopy on the carport, to replace mine with the small tear (which can be mended anyway). And analyzing their pipes, saw only two support pipes were bent until they broke. The rest was mostly intact. So I grabbed up about 90% of a full new carport.

Now I can replace the broken pieces and have two carports, plus a 10x10 Canopy I also have to cover my camp, or I can use the parts to extend my Carport another 10 or 20 feet. In an I or L shape. Plus more camping chairs than I'll ever need.

I almost went around picking up more gear, but the pickup truck I rented was already packed up to the brim.

Anyone pick up anything useful at the camp grounds like this?
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

Default Re: Scavenging new gear for your camp after the fest?

We almost grabbed a couple canopy frames that had been left and thought about just getting a new canopy for it, but we didn't have any room
    A buddy that I brought along picked up a pretty nice sleeping bag and a chair. Next year we're bringing more cars so hopefully we'll have more room for abandoned camping supplies
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

The Aussies left me an extreme ice chest, big Coleman tent...we found side walls for the ez ups. Didn't really look. Shit was just there so we packed it.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    The Aussies left me an extreme ice chest, big Coleman tent...we found side walls for the ez ups. Didn't really look. Shit was just there so we packed it.
    You fools find an Under Armor hoodie? I lost mine and never wore it while I was there. Waterproof hoodie ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Nah...and I traded my waterproof sessions hoody to one of the Lucient performers....
    His torn up green suit jacket with flowers and scarfs all over it was cool and all....but it was pouring last night and I'm back to wearing my Volcom snowboarding jacket

Yeah, i wasn't really looking either. It was all just there, so I took it.

But now I have some serious camping gear going on. 10x20 tent, 10x10 tent, 6 camping chairs, a full 10x20 carport and parts to expand quite a bit, a 10x10 canopy, a shower tent, portable toilet, 2 double high queen air mattress, 1 full air mattress...

I'm now doomed to always rent a pickup truck to drive to Coachella.

An eazy up blew onto our tent Sunday night during the winds. I got out of my tent and collapsed it and set it on the ground and went back to sleep. When I got up in the morning I checked with all my neighbors and it wasn't any of theirs. I'm not sure where it came from or how it managed to get through all my neighbors set ups to my tent, but it was in perfect condition and came home with me.

Got a bunch of toilet paper, paper towels, a couple chairs. My car was just packed, got more last year, I just wanted to get out of there on Monday
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    Yeah, i wasn't really looking either. It was all just there, so I took it.

But now I have some serious camping gear going on. 10x20 tent, 10x10 tent, 6 camping chairs, a full 10x20 carport and parts to expand quite a bit, a 10x10 canopy, a shower tent, portable toilet, 2 double high queen air mattress, 1 full air mattress...

I'm now doomed to always rent a pickup truck to drive to Coachella.
    The first year that we camped I couldn't believe all the camping gear that was just left behind at the end of the festival, and then I was told that the Homeless Shelter has a deal with GV to come collect those usable items to give to the homeless... So, you're not nearly as doomed as the poor guy still sleeping on a sidewalk.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Lol I ended up with a few brand new chairs, a folding table and super nice 10x10 canopy after Weekend 2.

I guess the people were from Australia and just left it all behind.

There was a bunch more stuff I simply didnt have room to take so I'm sure someone else did.

The clean up crew must make out like bandits each year, apparently bikes were also being left, a friend saw a couple lying in what looked like a deserted site
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    The first year that we camped I couldn't believe all the camping gear that was just left behind at the end of the festival, and then I was told that the Homeless Shelter has a deal with GV to come collect those usable items to give to the homeless... So, you're not nearly as doomed as the poor guy still sleeping on a sidewalk.
    I'm sure the jerkoffs they hire make off with the best gear.

Besides what I salvaged was not usable without replacing parts, or having one already to combine the two.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    just imagine seeing a homeless guy out there on the side of some building with his ez-up, tent, cooking on a portable stove, while lounging in his nice beach chair.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    just imagine seeing a homeless guy out there on the side of some building with his ez-up, tent, cooking on a portable stove, while lounging in his nice beach chair.
    I don't because that shit would get stolen the second he left it unattended. So he'd probably go sell it at a pawn shop or something.

we were among the last to leave monday morning (W1) and many of our group took scavenging trips up and down the street. I think our group came away with a folding table, 3 sleeping bags (new with the bag), 7 or 8 folding chairs, 2 air mattresses and 1 air pump, 2 brand new tents, lots of fabric, a bong and 2 coolers.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

old school

Like those bums are going to carry all that shit around with them. I'm sure camping gear trades well for c-rocks & booze. I can just imagine pulling off the exit ramp to see that a pop up at the top with a bum spanging for change underneath it.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    I don't because that shit would get stolen the second he left it unattended. So he'd probably go sell it at a pawn shop or something.

Well it's true. NOFX had it right with Freedom like a shopping cart.

IMG_0432.jpg Our friends brought back this bad boy as a joke W2. In 112 degree weather these people were crazy bringing a leather couch!

our neighbors had a couch too, and we used it after they were gone for our group photo.

and yeah, the field is pretty much empty except for us at this point.
    Last edited by scenicworld; 04-25-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by ncarrasco View Post
    IMG_0432.jpg Our friends brought back this bad boy as a joke W2. In 112 degree weather these people were crazy bringing a leather couch!
    I was there when you guys brought that couch back. Too funny!

We got a really nice canopy weekend 1 that saved us on weekend 2 only to snap in 3 places due to wind on the last night. It was already a bit haggard from the wind storm on weekend 1, but we returned to a crumpled mess later that night. Oh well, we got our use out of it.

Didn't scavenge, but our jerk aussie neighbors (who were kind enough to take part up part of our campspot) threw away a tent. Didn't see them do it, but I was throwing away some last minute garbage, went to the cans, turned around, heard of something big being tossed in the cans, and looked, and lo, an entire tent, rods and all.

The aussies also offered us some of their gear, but we were well stocked.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Several neighbors offered me their gear on Monday morning (most of them were flying back overseas with no desire to bring back stuff). I came back home with an extra 2 person tent, some folding chairs, solar lights and a few other odds and ends.

Lurker

I've been car camping at Coachella twice and have come back both times with excellent additions to my gear. This year it was two $50 lounge chairs (price tags still attached). We already had enough of everything else we saw, but there was a ton of stuff left by the trash bins just waiting to be swooped up.

I saw that couch left behind all by itself ... and then later on I watched your friends carry it across the field.

I thought "Damn they must REALLY need a couch"!
    Last edited by FreshTim123; 04-29-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshTim123 View Post
    I saw that couch left behind all by itself ... and then later on I watched your friends carry it across the field.

I thought "Damn they must REALLY need a couch"!
    HAHAHA we were all packed to the brim and they came saying "Alright what car we tying this to?" classic memory !

Quote Originally Posted by megafr0 View Post
    I was there when you guys brought that couch back. Too funny!
    HAHAHA the tiniest girl of our group decides to bring this couch back, it was pretty hilarious!