Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your top 5 performances from 2012 (weekend two edition)

Default Re: Your top 5 performances from 2012 (weekend two edition)

soo fucking hard to rank this shit

1. DJ Shadow
    2. Radiohead
    3. Flying Lotus
    4. Dre/Snoop
    5. Jeff Mangum

Man, I was at 4 of those. I would have been so stoked to meet quicksand.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

perhaps we did brah. about 6'3", athletic build, average sized bangs.. i was smoking yall out as much as i could.

1. Radiohead (was front rail for this and when they started to play There There I almost cried. I actually cried when the beginning of Exit Music started).
    2. The Hives (front rail for it. I hugged Howlin' Pelle. It was great. Great energy, and they kicked ass).
    3. Pulp (Jarvis always puts on a good show, I was near the front for it).
    4. Black Lips (I crowdsurfed and it was by far my favorite daytime performance).
    5. tUnE-yArDs (She is super talented, great voice, good crowd, and a nice energy).

HM: Black Keys, Fitz and the Tantrums, Justice, Modeselektor, Arctic Monkeys, Bon Iver, Wolf Gang.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

Radiohead
    Bon Iver
    Beirut
    Pulp
    The Head and The Heart/Dawes/Gary Clark Jr/First Aid Kit/Florence and The Machine

biggest regret - skipping Black Keys and missing Fogerty. EITS and Refused were just OK.

1. At The Drive In
    2. Dre, Snoop & Guests
    3. SubFocus
    4. Flying Lotus
    5. The Rapture
    Honorable Mentions goes to Mt. Eden. First time catching these guys and they were a lot of fun. Dropped a lot of good tunes and the girlies were loving it. I really loved the vibe that Pure Filth Sound brought too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    Radiohead
    EITS and Refused were just OK.
    EITS were average, but Refused... come on now. Each to their own but even if you don't love the music, that show was more than ok. The best I could have hoped for personally

1. Radiohead
    2. Dre and Snoop
    3. The Black Keys/The Weeknd
    4. Jeff Mangum/Pulp
    5. Refused/GIRLS/Childish Gambino/Andrew Bird/First Aid Kit

But honestly, every performance I saw delivered and was awesome in a way. Except Justice being super late, not awesome...
    Last edited by swhite423; 04-25-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Radiohead, Dre & Snoop with entourage, Florence and The Machine-wow, M Ward, Gary Clark JR
    The wind blowing around us made for a tingling effect...

sorry I missed:
    head and the heart--caught them at treasure island...love them
    first aid kit--super impressive vocals on these beautiful girls

This was a great Coachella all-around, it's hard to pick 5:

- Refused
    - Dre & Snoop
    - Hives
    - Pulp
    - Company Flow

not in order:
    Atari teenage riot
    radiohead
    st. vincent
    frank ocean
    dre and snoop

HM- ATDI, le butcherettes, bon iver, and azealia banks

Ears are still ringing...Im gonna write up a full review of my weekend eventually...
    This is from Week 2 mind you.

BEST

Flying Lotus - by no means a seamless set but shit was going off the hook by the end when Earl and Gaslamp came out

St. Vincent - Had the gobi losing its mind at the end of her set too. Also dug the killer theremin solos. =)

Radiohead - Mellow but flawless/captivating set fuck the haters.

NOISIA - it was empty in the Sahara give them a better god damn time slot. Flawless/devastating set

Beats Antique - Had not made it through a show of theirs in the past for one reason or another but they totally surprised me.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
    Refused - Dennis still has an absolutely incredible set of pipes...and is such a cool dude.

Breakbot - Disco Fu-fu-funk. sick.

Justice - (ok i'll admit it)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - incredible sounds, errie atmosphere.

Madness - fun set no doubt.

WORST/Biggest let downs

At The Drive In- one of my absolute most treasured bands just really let me down. Well, let me be more specific. Omar and Cedric let me down...Omar didnt give two shits and just stood in place (i know his mom passed but come on do it for her then)...And Cendric didnt yell a single word...not ok for At the Drive In songs....Blah next

Greg Ginn And The Royal What The Fuck Was That Balls.....prolly the wackest thing ive ever heard in my life...sound guys tried helping him but he was oblivious.

Swedish House Mafia - Fuck GV for putting this guys up on an altar like that...just awful cheese all day...plus im pretty sure they arent doing a thing on stage...except maybe an arm raise every now and again. sure the lights were cool, but fuck that nonsense.
    Last edited by Apex17; 04-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Refused
    God Speed You Black Emperor
    At The Drive In
    Gotye
    Explosions In The Sky

Would paid the price of the ticket ( and the airfare etc.. ) just to see refused and they did not disappoint !

Radiohead
    Black Lips
    Le Butcherettes
    Santigold (largely because I successfully made it on stage)
    The Hives
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1&2), 13 (2), 14 (2)
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
    Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com

Quote Originally Posted by gopher37 View Post
    2. Gotye - the crowd reaction during Somebody I Used To Know was insane. My favorite moment of Coachella was singing the words to that song
    Quote Originally Posted by paperdoll78 View Post
    2. Gotye - Braved the crowd to get up close. After loads of people left after Somebody I used to Know, we were right up front

So fuckin sad that Gotye got that kind of reaction both weekends. He's an amazing musician and has three great albums and just cause Somebody started playing on the radio this shit happens? I expected more Coachella. He was put in a very tough timeslot vs. the Weeknd and others but still. Allreports i heard we no dancing and everybody basically wanted hime to play the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post

So fuckin sad that Gotye got that kind of reaction both weekends. He's an amazing musician and has three great albums and just cause Somebody started playing on the radio this shit happens? I expected more Coachella. He was put in a very tough timeslot vs. the Weeknd and others but still. Allreports i heard we no dancing and everybody basically wanted hime to play the song.
    It was to be expected... the song is this year's "Rolling in The Deep" (in terms of it being pretty ubiquitous, with way too many bad mashups/remixes being played at the clubs)...

A similar thing happened with M83, as well... Once they played Midnight City... the crowd cleared the fuck out before the last song! (Which was too bad for them, cause the last tune was Couleurs... which is just one hell of a dance party)

No Trance, No Care...

Kaskade was cool

Weekend 2 top 5 for me

1. GY!BE - never seen them before, might never get a chance to see them again. They did not disappoint. Atmosphere - perfect; sound - perfect; crowd (~400 people) - perfect. Just a fucking treat.

2. Radiohead - Had just seen them at SB, where they were great, but the set list was just so-so; loved the set list on Saturday night at Coachella. About 1 second in to Kid A . . . well, let's just say, it was game over for me. I mean, this stretch is ridiculous: Gloaming, Weird Fishes, Pyramid Song, YAWA, Nude, Kid A. Jeez, just killed me. Then a few songs later, Feral into Idioteque. And then the second encore of Ghost, Exit Music, Android. Hard to envision how a RH fan wouldn't be completely emotionally spent after that set. And the band just brought it.

3. Justice - I love the new album (minority opinion, I know). I thought they mixed the new and old tracks together seamlessly. This set was exactly what I was looking for at that moment: A giant fucking dance party on the the main stage.

4. Modeselektor - These guys done fucking brought it. Sadly, I left a few minutes before the end to get to Dre & Snoop. In retrospect, not a great idea, as I missed Thom. Oh well, even still, they were great.

5. (tie) St. Vincent & Gary Clarke, Jr. - My two biggest surprises of the weekend. Both just killed and the tents were hot as fuck for both but everyone in there was loving it. Was a little disappointed to leave Mangum early, but within about 2 seconds of being at St. Vincent, that went away.

HM: The Rapture/M83 - played back to back in the Mojave, had a great spot for both, and man, so much energy. Never had seen the Rapture before and they were intense but super fun at the same time. Amazing set. M83, I thought was great too, but truth be told, getting to hear Teen Angst live in a packed Coachella tent, by itself would have been a highlight for me, so the rest was just gravy.

HM: AraabMUUSIK - didn't end up being what I was expecting but the dude's got skills, pretty dark dubstep set with a couple DnB tracks mixed in, all done live(ish).

HM (kind of): Datsik - was not nearly as terrible as I was expecting. Checked out some of Amon Tobin, wasn't feeling it. Got dragged to SHM, couldn't even make it through a song. Strolled over to Datsik and didn't hate it. Better live than recorded and had some cool shit going on on stage. For that, I'll give the dude HM.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Madness
    Pulp
    Squeeze
    Buzzcocks
    Atari Teenage Riot
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

1. Dre and Snoop
    2. Modeselektor
    3. Radiohead
    4. Flying Lotus
    5. Death Grips
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

1. Jeff Mangum
    2. Black Keys
    3. Pulp
    4. Radiohead
    5. Gary Clark, Jr.

HM: Buzzcocks, Florence + The Machine, Shins, Wild Flag, First Aid Kit, Arctic Monkeys, James, Yuck

1. Justice
    2. At the Drive in
    3. Refused
    4. Radiohead
    5. Grouplove

HM: M83, Fitz & the Tantrums, Godspeed, DJ Shadow, FlyLo

1. Metronomy
    2. Grouplove
    3. Azealia Banks
    4. Santigold
    5. First Aid Kit

1. Radiohead (was front rail for this and when they started to play There There I almost cried. I actually cried when the beginning of Exit Music started).
    Oh shit. So once Encore 2 started with Give Up the Ghost, my bf and I started to leave assuming Paranoid Android would be next (loved the performance but wanted to beat the crowd and we were there the wknd before) We had just gotten past the ferris wheel when I suddenly heard the soft sounds of Exit Music and we SPRINTED BACK! No exagerrations, if you saw a crazy lady dragging her man by the hand back to main stage that was me.

That being said...Top 5, Electric boogaloo

1. Modeselektor
    2. Pulp
    3. Jeff Mangum (playing Daniel Johnston bumped him up)
    4. M83
    5. Radiohead
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit

Kasabian
    Modeselektor
    Stephan Jacobs in Do Lab W1
    Radiohead
    Dre and SNoop
    Black Keys

oh shit is that six don't flame me...
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09

Le Butcherettes
    Pulp
    Radiohead
    Housse de Racket
    Grouplove

The Big Pink deserves an honorable mention.

Lurker

1) Bon Iver
    2) Refused
    3) Gary Clark Jr - starting his set at 4:20 was freggin' hilarious. One particular guitar solo, in the slower song with falsetto vocals... Wow. Wow. Wow.
    4) Radiohead
    5) Manchester Orchestra

not so much performances, but moments: twinkles of euphoria, gratitude and all-over physical body chills.

1. wild beasts - all the king's men. i was super excited to see them. i knew nothing about them, other than their two most recently released album's music. i was so pleasantly surprised, especially during this song (and they aint bad on the eyes either, after watching tom fleming sing this song: immediate crush. not your typical hottie, but the way he sang...)

2. pulp - right before they took the stage & common people. i waited for them not more than twenty minutes, and then the lights went down. for whatever reason i realized at that second how close i was going to be = watery eyes. jarvis cocker looks like an irs attorney and acts like a rock star. and the coda for common people - awesome!

3. azealia banks - 212, bambi, l8r + outfit. her set was all-around great from the second she got onstage (best dressed of the weekend, in my opinion).

4. justice - stress. i saw a dance production called "cleaopatra, c.e.o." on the 54th floor of some building in downtown LA. they used this song for a fight scene and i took notice. i never thought they'd play it and sometime during their set, their speakers go red (like the eyes of the guys in the battle) and i flipped!

5. dr. dre & snoop dogg - all those songs i was clearly there for from both artists.

*∞. radiohead - exit music (for a film). as soon as the song started... THANK YOU so much to the crowd for respecting the moment and singing once the band came in. i could hear the sahara tent in the distance which i actually did NOT mind (proof that i was at coachella). but when thom and the crowd sang the line "now we are one in everlasting peace!" by far, THEE best moment of the weekend for me.

honorable mentions: amon tobin and dj shadow: for the sheer music-art-instillation aspect to your show. and the sounds, just as awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by adammm View Post
    1. Radiohead (was on the rail front and center, literally moment of my life)
    so happy for you. i can just imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    1. Gary Clark, Jr.
    2. Buzzcocks
    3. Beats Antique
    4. Jimmy Cliff
    5. Azalea Banks
    so varied - awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Wow, a lot less people have Dre and Snoop in their top 5 this time around
    by then, everyone knew what was going to happen. think about it... on W2, once tupca "appeared," no one reacted. it was the ONE thing you expected at coachella. i did my best to abstain from all sorts of media the week between the two weekends. but not even i could ignore the whole hologram thing. so when it happened, every one's reaction was like, "oh, that's what it is" (generally speaking). can you imagine the reaction during W1? they might've lost their shit! (W1'ers, correct me if i'm wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by quicksand View Post
    average sized bangs.
    what the... bangs?!?

Quote Originally Posted by kimbico View Post
    5. tUnE-yArDs (She is super talented, great voice, good crowd, and a nice energy).
    1. THIS!!!
    2. yes, yes she is.

Quote Originally Posted by AbundantChoice View Post
    This was a great Coachella all-around, it's hard to pick 5:
    i COMPLETELY agree. that's why i gave my ultimate moment the "∞ly best moment of coachella 2012" award.

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    It was to be expected... the song is this year's "Rolling in The Deep" (in terms of it being pretty ubiquitous, with way too many bad mashups/remixes being played at the clubs)...
    A similar thing happened with M83, as well... Once they played Midnight City... the crowd cleared the fuck out before the last song! (Which was too bad for them, cause the last tune was Couleurs... which is just one hell of a dance party)
    i had a feeling this would happen and i really wanted to catch their whole set AND see jutice beginning (i just had a feeling it was going to be "genisis"). thus, my husband and i went to the nokia theater (when we should've been packing) and got the cheapest seats - $59 for both of us. they show was amazing, the sound was spectacular and i'm glad we did it for the very reason that everyone being there for one song is sad considering what an awesome songwriter, composer, performer wally and the rest of the band is.
    and couleurs was pretty much the only reason i wanted to see M83. personally, i was stoked they all left. i was outside the tent for 95% of the performance until then when i got really close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray del Mundo View Post
    1. GY!BE - never seen them before, might never get a chance to see them again. They did not disappoint. Atmosphere - perfect; sound - perfect; crowd (~400 people) - perfect. Just a fucking treat.
    2. Radiohead - Had just seen them at SB, where they were great, but the set list was just so-so; loved the set list on Saturday night at Coachella. About 1 second in to Kid A . . . well, let's just say, it was game over for me. I mean, this stretch is ridiculous: Gloaming, Weird Fishes, Pyramid Song, YAWA, Nude, Kid A. Jeez, just killed me. Then a few songs later, Feral into Idioteque. And then the second encore of Ghost, Exit Music, Android. Hard to envision how a RH fan wouldn't be completely emotionally spent after that set. And the band just brought it.
    1. that's why i love them! alas, i did not see them because i wanted a good spot for radiohead. do i regret it, slightly. i could've caught one song. but i don't feel as bad because i saw them at the fonda 3/23/11. such an amazing show!
    2. exactly.
    Last edited by cuauhtemoc723; 04-27-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammar & format
    Jagwar Ma ● the Knife ● GOAT ● the Preatures ● Bo Ningen ● Woodkid ● QOTSA ● Foxygen ● Little Dragon
    DARKSIDE ● Lorde ● Temples ● Factory Floor ● Banks ● Duck Sauce ● Grouplove ● Pet Shop Boys
    ● OutKast ● Muse ● Mogwai ● Austra ● CHVRCHES ● Syd Arthur ● J. Roddy Watson & the Business

wishlist, still: wishlist, still: missy elliot●oingo boingo●talking heads●grace jones●george clinton●fiona apple
    sweat.x●jamiroquai●space●hooverphonic●los fabulosos cadillacs●la santa cecilia

Lurker

1. Radiohead
    2. Refused
    3. Dr Dre and Snoop Dog
    4. Justice
    5. Other Lives

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

irt cuauhtemoc the reaction where i was in the crowd for holopac was confused silence, along with camera noises.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me