Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE CIGARETTE SMOKING???

Default Re: WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE CIGARETTE SMOKING???

it's funny, i hear a lot of people say "i only smoke cigs when i'm stressed", and i can honestly say that's how I am, which is why i didn't have one all weekend, but i really don't see why people are just smoking cigarettes while talking to a friend, or watching one of their favorite bands?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

because a lot more people don't only smoke when they're stressed.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I thought I saw more smoking this year, along with more of those smokers smoking without any regard for people around them, paying attention to neither where they held their lit cigarette nor to where they blew their smoke.

I did see some people that tried to blow smoke up and actually on Saturday there was a lady who had sat down near me who after lighting a cigarette asked if it was bothering me and then moved out of the way, which was incredibly kind. There were also at least a few folks I knew that knew me well enough to know that I am allergic and kept their distance when smoking, for which I am also very grateful.

There are many things about Coachella that I will miss but being around all that cigarette smoke is not one of them.
    Oh shit, John, I'm sorry for smoking when we were talking on Saturday, I had no idea you were allergic. *mental note taken*
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    because a lot more people don't only smoke when they're stressed.
    what he said.

Really I don't care if people smoke at a festival... for whatever reason. But, like other things that can be offensive to someone else's organs and general enjoyment, it should be done with respect to the people around you. Sure it's an outside festival, but if you're in the middle of a crowded tent where the air is stagnant and hot it's hardly an open air environment anymore and probably not very enjoyable to everyone else around you that they're stuck having to breathe your filth. Your BO is enough of a problem already.
    That's cool if you like to smoke ciggs, I personally enjoy taking fat dumps but you don't catch me doing it in the middle of a crowded floor on a steaming hot day because that would really suck for everyone else around me. Am I right?

If being at an "outside" festival is enough of a reason to not give the slightest bit of consideration to the people around you...then chances are you're just a fat poopmouth turdface anyway.

Or, maybe you exercise your free will and you change locations. You're the one with the problem with your surroundings, not them, so you must be the one to act. Inconsiderate of folks and inconvenient for you, yes, but you have the power to remove yourself from unpleasant situations.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingsideways View Post
    I've said it in tons of other threads, and i'll say it in this one. This festival attracts loser douchebag fuckheads that have no idea what "going to a festival" means. Its about everyone struggling through the heat and the exhaustion together to enjoy amazing acts
    ^THIS. Couldn't agree more! I'm not horribly bothered by cigarettes but when some guy is standing next to me IN THE TENT and rather than blowing up he blows down into my face THEN I'm annoyed. The trash bothers me more though. It's sad to see how careless some people are.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Life's tough. Sacrifices have to be made. Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Or, maybe you exercise your free will and you change locations. You're the one with the problem with your surroundings, not them, so you must be the one to act. Inconsiderate of folks and inconvenient for you, yes, but you have the power to remove yourself from unpleasant situations.
    That goes without saying, of course. But that doesn't change the fact that it's very dickish to be the one causing the problem and expect others to move or deal with the otherwise avoidable stench. Funny enough that the one time the smoke did become enough to make me move, I did, just to have someone else light up...
    But I'll remember what you said next time I'm in a crowd of people and really hampering to drop a deuce. Hope you'll be there

I just had a cigarette right now.
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

Quote Originally Posted by Woofles View Post
    That goes without saying, of course. But that doesn't change the fact that it's very dickish to be the one causing the problem and expect others to move or deal with the otherwise avoidable stench. Funny enough that the one time the smoke did become enough to make me move, I did, just to have someone else light up...
    But I'll remember what you said next time I'm in a crowd of people and really hampering to drop a deuce. Hope you'll be there
    Again, this is your problem, not their's. I urge you to shit in a crowd of people, that would be really, really funny to see the looks on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Ros Stache View Post
    I used my ecig all weekend long and it amazed me how many people didn't know what it was. No harm to me or to those around me, no ashes and when the cartridge was empty i tossed it..
    Same here. So nice to be able to puff away in a crowd and not worry about getting smoke on anyone around me.

I am sick to death of the 400 variations on this thread that pop up every fucking year. Smoking feels nice, guys, but it is also addictive. It opens up blood vessels near the skin, cooling you down. Several scientific studies have definitively linked nicotine with increased memory, perception, attention, and overall cognitive capacity. Read this if you don't believe me. That said, it is at least mildly inconsiderate to expose others to smoke through refusing to exhale upwards, and equally so not to dispose of butts responsibly.
    All this said, no one is going to have severe physical consequences from either of those behaviors, and if they are, they are a much smaller percentage of Coachella attendees than those who wish to receive the benefits of tobacco use for recreational purposes. They sell cigarettes inside the venue, so the promoters are fully aware of their use in all areas of this outdoor event. Until 2011, they had a tobacco company as a sponsor, only quashed due to legal restrictions placed on tobacco companies by California. Cigarettes aren't going anywhere, and if this so drastically affects your ability to disconnect from your righteous indignation and enjoy yourself in the presence of 3 days of fantastic music that you cannot resist being offended, I feel sorry for you.

Well said Orphan.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    those who wish to receive the benefits of tobacco use for recreational purposes.
    "benefits" and "tobacco use" in the same sentence seems a little odd to me. no one smokes to get any of those "benefits".

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    "benefits" and "tobacco use" in the same sentence seems a little odd to me. no one smokes to get any of those "benefits".
    I started smoking because it increased my concentration and info. retention during college. It's true that I continue to smoke due to an addiction to nicotine, but it doesn't change the fact that cognitively, it is absolutely a performance enhancing drug. I'll leave the same link here that I did in the last post:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20414766

Edit (addendum): I realize that my last two posts can be interpreted as a full-throated endorsement of tobacco use, this was not my intention. Non-smokers, particulary those who used to smoke themselves, deride and condemn smokers by claiming that the use of tobacco serves no purpose other than to harm respiratory and cardiovascular health, while bankrupting its victims and rendering them brown-toothed, foul-smelling NASCAR fans. As in all things, the truth is more complicated, and less black-and-white, than all that. I believe that in the mid-20th century, the tobacco industry lied in their advertising, as well as their public claims that no harm can result from use of their product. I also believe the backlash from this has resulted in the demonification of a product which has been part of American life since before there was an America.

tl;dr, I respect the feelings and wishes of non-smokers, but if the greatest inconvenience my smoke provides in a sea of shirtless, sweating bros is the wafting aroma of burning plant material, you need to reevaluate the things which you allow to affect your enjoyment of Coachella.
    Last edited by Orphan; 04-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.

but nowadays with ecigs and gum there is no need to really smoke for those benefits, is there?

Nicotine and caffeine should just come pure in some drug form we can ingest...why we gotta haz all the other bs and smell stank?

I only smoke at Coachella and I blow it in your tent when you sleep...
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

I used to use the electronic cigs too, but last coachella I didn't have enough batteries so I started smoking again. time to quit (again).
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

You guys really need to smart smoking E-Cigarettes... So much better than analogs. Just get a good brand, and you'll never go back.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I don't trust the e-cigarettes, I will take my chances with cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    You guys really need to smart smoking E-Cigarettes... So much better than analogs. Just get a good brand, and you'll never go back.

I "quit" for over 2 years with e-cigs, but when I broke down for "just one weekend" at coachella it started to turn into a month which turned into a year. to make matters even worse, I continued using the e-cig when I was at home or work and wound up getting used to both, so I couldnt' just make the easy switch that worked for me previously. I've intentionally stopped using my e-cig in the month and half leading up to coachella so that I can attempt to replace analogs with e-cigs again, so I'm about ready to give it a go.

What brand are you using? I've always been partial to my njoy 510, but I haven't been able to find a good juice that has a good flavor with a nice vapor and good throat hit.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

I called this early on. I'm next going to be asked to make concessions for their toy dogs.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I'm a tall guy, so its easy for me to keep the smoke away from others, but that's easier said than done if you're a shorter person.

Did any of you who loathe it even ask the smokers to direct their smoke elsewhere? I bet all but a handful of assholes would have obliged you.

Like others have said - its only three days - not going to kill you outright and hardly worth complaining about here.

I'm 6-5 so I just blow the smoke straight up, but who cares about a couple of minutes of cigarette smoke at a concert? If you do you are way too uptight.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I "quit" for over 2 years with e-cigs, but when I broke down for "just one weekend" at coachella it started to turn into a month which turned into a year. to make matters even worse, I continued using the e-cig when I was at home or work and wound up getting used to both, so I couldnt' just make the easy switch that worked for me previously. I've intentionally stopped using my e-cig in the month and half leading up to coachella so that I can attempt to replace analogs with e-cigs again, so I'm about ready to give it a go.

What brand are you using? I've always been partial to my njoy 510, but I haven't been able to find a good juice that has a good flavor with a nice vapor and good throat hit.
    I use South Beach smokes and it produces a lot of vapor and gives me that "throat hit" you speak of. I have also tried V2 which i think are pretty good and their cartridges are a bit cheaper. I do recommend having at least two batteries and one of them being an extended one. Didn't smoke a regular cig once all weekend nor did i crave one.
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

Can we stop the people who crop dust in the crowd?!
    It's gross and it smells bad!

But spicy pie is soooo good

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    But spicy pie is soooo good
    Everyone raves about Spicy Pie but when it came down to it, I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $7 for one slice of thin-thin-thin-ass crust pizza. Is it really THAT much better than your typical NY style thin crust that you can get pretty much anywhere? Just cuz they put Jalapenos on it? Big deal.

I don't eat that shit...it's was a bad joke. Sorry.

Food I paid for inside...veggie corn dog, garlic fries x2, freshers, veggie burger x2, coconut water.

Not one slice of pie, I did have a bit of the pesto one...very good. Bought two beers the whole weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I don't eat that shit...it's was a bad joke. Sorry.

Food I paid for inside...veggie corn dog, garlic fries x2, freshers, veggie burger x2, coconut water.

Not one slice of pie, I did have a bit of the pesto one...very good. Bought two beers the whole weekend.
    I typically try to get a huge mexican lunch outside the festival before I go in, which will tide me over until after the show, and then get some In-n-Out afterward. Although I did get 2 food items on Saturday....$10 for BBQ pulled pork garlic fries which was decent and $9 for a banana nutella crepe which was the biggest ripoff ever.