Thread: Perks of camping?

Hybrid View

Lurker

Default Perks of camping?

My family moved to the desert when I was about 11 and I've been going to coachella since I was 14. Every year except for one but I've NEVER camped. I don't live out there anymore but my mom does so I just stay at her house. Next year I'm kinda considering camping since I'll be 21 and things seem like they can get a little crazy. Is it worth the extra money since I don't actually need a place to stay?

Default Re: Perks of camping?

If you havent camped, you really dont know what Coachella is yet. Im not being a douche when I say this, either. Camping is a huge part of the Coachella experience. I dont even know how to explain it, but try it at least once. I camped the first few years and then decided to stay at a house nearby, but I am so thankful that I got the camping experience beforehand. I always recommend that first timers camp. In the end, you may still prefer staying at a house for whatever reason, but camping is something you HAVE to experience. Camping gives you a million extra, crazy, unique experiences... you meet more people, party more, its just more fun. So yea, those extra memories youll make are worth the extra $80 or so (less if youre splitting a spot).
    Last edited by theGold; 04-23-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theGold View Post
    If you havent camped, you really dont know what Coachella is yet. Im not being a douche when I say this, either. Camping is a huge part of the Coachella experience. I dont even know how to explain it, but try it at least once. I camped the first few years and then decided to stay at a house nearby, but I am so thankful that I got the camping experience beforehand. I always recommend that first timers camp. In the end, you may still prefer staying at a house for whatever reason, but camping is something you HAVE to experience. Camping gives you a million extra, crazy, unique experiences... you meet more people, party more, its just more fun. So yea, those extra memories youll make are worth the extra $80 or so (less if youre splitting a spot).
    You ARE being a douche.
    But camping is pretty rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    You ARE being a douche.
    But camping is pretty rad.
    A respectful, informative, honest douche, then.

Quote Originally Posted by theGold View Post

I always thought camping was the way to go too, until I saw how miserable and exhausted my friends were on Sunday while my g/f and I were going fucking crazy all day long. We even met up with them at their campsite after the festival on Saturday thinking people would be ready to rage but that was hardly the case. It was probably mostly due to the heat, but if I camp next year I'm coming extremely prepared for HEAT.

Lulz....zactlies

this was my first year camping...i say you HAVE to do it once. if you dont like it after that don't do it again, but camping is at least 1/2 of the festival. there is so much fun to be had!
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

$FREE Beer > $8 Heineken

Camping is a double edged knife for certain, but everyone really should experience it. For attendees who are younger it is the easiest and least financially burdening method of sleeping for Coachella. Don't have to worry about fucking up the house or somehow destroying the toilet etc. There are no safety deposits, no one has to book a condo/hotel WHATEVER, and if you split a spot with even just 1 other person its like $43 for the whole weekend. That is an absolute steal. Now that showers are figured out pretty much the only thing left that is bad about camping is the heat. Bring earplugs and a sleeping mask.

Despite the often uncomfortable heat of camping at Coachella, I have never done anything other than camp at Coachella. The one thing camping has is the ability to crash within minutes of the end of the day, or to head back to your camp site at the middle of the day for some refueling. Also, camping is far more sociable!

Camping at Coachella really comes down to if you can tolerate the problems. I would admit that when/if it gets really hot at Coachella an air-conditioned room with a bed and shower seems very desirable.

I've been attending since 2006. Camping is NOT required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    I've been attending since 2006. Camping is NOT required.
    no one said it was required holmes

however, i agree with everyone on that it is a MUST for first timers.
    #coachellaweekend1
    #takeitsleazy

Quote Originally Posted by snafflebit View Post
    My family moved to the desert when I was about 11 and I've been going to coachella since I was 14. Every year except for one but I've NEVER camped. I don't live out there anymore but my mom does so I just stay at her house. Next year I'm kinda considering camping since I'll be 21 and things seem like they can get a little crazy. Is it worth the extra money since I don't actually need a place to stay?
    I love camping and was really annoyed the year I didn't camp (the first time I went) at how difficult it was to get to and from the hotel.

But: I have a group i've been camping with for years, and this is the only time we see each other, so it's like we have our own little Coachella family get together.
    But: I have a high tolerance for noise and am happy to go to sleep drunk.
    But: I place a really high value on being right next to the festival.

Your mileage may vary.

Every time you camp it takes a year off your life, but its worth it
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Good points on both sides. I know camping's not for me. It's worth the drive from/to Palm Springs to have the home comforts I need to get proper rest for the following day. To be able to drive my car and get breakfast/lunch at one of the many fine restaurants or drive thru's near the house and to have a morning/night swim and shower with no wait.

I say since you're 21, go for it and get it out of your system. Educate yourself with the wealth of information in this forum about camping setups, people looking for others to camp with, and so on. If it turns out you hate it, you can always have Mom pick you up. You'll probably have fun though.
    Last edited by flowbee; 04-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.

I am old and usually very tired, but I think I actually prefer camping. Mostly because I like the ability to leave and go to my campsite, guzzle a few beers, smoke a little, not have to deal with traffic going in and out, etc. Yes it's a little rough, even rougher when it's hot, I may have been spoiled this year with it not being 100 degrees for weekend 1. I found that sleeping is much easier with ear plugs and some medication. Next year I will have an air mattress which will help even more. Just make sure you get up early to hit the showers, if showering is your thing, apparently it's not for everyone. There is plenty of good food in the festival/campgrounds, it's a little more expensive but you will typically drop $300+ for a hotel so I think I saved in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I am old and usually very tired, but I think I actually prefer camping. Mostly because I like the ability to leave and go to my campsite, guzzle a few beers, smoke a little, not have to deal with traffic going in and out, etc. Yes it's a little rough, even rougher when it's hot, I may have been spoiled this year with it not being 100 degrees for weekend 1. I found that sleeping is much easier with ear plugs and some medication. Next year I will have an air mattress which will help even more. Just make sure you get up early to hit the showers, if showering is your thing, apparently it's not for everyone. There is plenty of good food in the festival/campgrounds, it's a little more expensive but you will typically drop $300+ for a hotel so I think I saved in the long run.
    These are words to live by, I agree completely. I didn't camp until 2010 when they introduced car camping, but now I think the festival is actually 75% music and art festival and 25% camping experience. I've stayed in a hotel, stayed in a resort, driven back home every night and the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences for me have been camping.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar 11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo 1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego

Try to ensure the people you are camping with will be fun. The people I was with this year went directly to sleep after the music - one even at 10pm on friday. They were not prepared for the heat I guess

This was my first year at Coachella and we camped and were pretty well-prepared: 30 feet of canopy, table, misters, dry ice, et al. But by Sunday, I was beat. Just don't start out like the 20 year olds next to us. These guys hit it hard (beer, shots of whiskey and vodka, some weird jungle juice shit) and by the time they left for the show at 1 pm they were already beyond fucked up. We got back after Radiohead and they were passed out at their camp and hurting on Saturday. Not a good way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    Try to ensure the people you are camping with will be fun. The people I was with this year went directly to sleep after the music - one even at 10pm on friday. They were not prepared for the heat I guess
    THIS!!!!!

I made the mistake of inviting the girl I am dating instead of a party hard friend of mine, while we did have a good time I missed out on so much potential partying because the heat really got to her and she wanted to spend most of the down time at camp at night, sleeping early. Still had a great Coachella but next year I'll know better.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendCrush View Post
    THIS!!!!!

I made the mistake of inviting the girl I am dating instead of a party hard friend of mine, while we did have a good time I missed out on so much potential partying because the heat really got to her and she wanted to spend most of the down time at camp at night, sleeping early. Still had a great Coachella but next year I'll know better.
    My boyfriend and I camp together every year, and sometimes I go to sleep early and he stays up partying. We spend all day at the festival together...it's okay to spend some time apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

If you can roughneck it then its awesome, screw all the haters, at the end of the night you get to walk/crawl back to your tent without worrying about shuttling or taxiing back into town. Do it up hardcore. Get to walk around and meet a shit ton of people from all over. Although taking a shit and shower in a normal bathroom would be nice... screw it, thats what monday is for, if i wanted to be normal i would just stay home and not go to coachella at all, part of coachella is about putting your body and mind through extreme conditions to feel as if though you lived and experienced and to look back and go holy shit what a time!
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09

Quote Originally Posted by sfx monger View Post
    If you can roughneck it then its awesome, screw all the haters, at the end of the night you get to walk/crawl back to your tent without worrying about shuttling or taxiing back into town. Do it up hardcore. Get to walk around and meet a shit ton of people from all over. Although taking a shit and shower in a normal bathroom would be nice... screw it, thats what monday is for, if i wanted to be normal i would just stay home and not go to coachella at all, part of coachella is about putting your body and mind through extreme conditions to feel as if though you lived and experienced and to look back and go holy shit what a time!
    This is true. For the fullest experience, camping is the way to go. Though 2nd weekend was a bit brutal this year. You go through it with thousands of others and you get in 'sync with the festival vibe alot more when you are comaing. Jarvis Cocker was talking about this on 1st weekend during the rain and giving props to all the campers on the amzing experience that was unfolding....all while throwing grapes at the crowd.

I like being able to get away aad regroup back in my hotel room. Soft bed, showers, and real bathrooms every night and swimming in the pool in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Definitely worth it! Being able to go in and out of your campsite for food, drinks, and not having to hassle with shuttles is worth the "roughing" it for a weekend. Plus the party never stops which is an absolute perk! Silent disco party was also a highlight of my nights after the festival

Parking really wasn't that big a deal this year, and from what I hear last year wasn't bad either.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!