Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss the Dumb Zone

Default Re: Let's discuss the Dumb Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle760 View Post
    geez. so much hate for the sahara.lol. i enjoyed it.
    This is why you're not invited to post in this particular thread. Shuffle off with your other etard-friends. have a merry day

This festival is about the bros too now.

Wonderlic test in the Front Gate waiting room please.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    This is why you're not invited to post in this particular thread. Shuffle off with your other etard-friends. have a merry day
    Doing it. Wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

This was the first year at Coachella where I felt my age, and I am only 27.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    21+ unless accompanied by legal guardian.
    This really should be done.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

You guys seriously pay too much fucking attention to the people around you. I agree the level of stupidity has been on the rise at coachella but I never let it get more than 2 seconds of my time. I have way too much fun with my group of friends or watching an awesome band fuck shit up. if I see someone acting like a jackass, talking loudly during a quiet set, being brotastic, being a reckless drunk, etc., I either don't pay attention to them or simply relocate. This year I was able to navigate thru crowds easily. This helped me stay away from all the dummies.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

You didn't encounter any bro-chains?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    And even if you're not a fan of the music, you can't deny the fuckin energy in that tent is out of this world. I just love seeing that many people go bonkers, no matter whos playing. Wish the rock bands could get that kind of reaction. Sometimes I'm amazed at how boring people can be during a rockin show.
    Just feed everyone pills. That will get them full of energy and fist pumping.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You didn't encounter any bro-chains?
    You know I did see a few pass in front/behind me but there was just a lot of room in the crowds this year that it didn't bother me. I really was too busy dancing and having fun to even bother with idiots.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by hippityhip View Post
    You guys seriously pay too much fucking attention to the people around you. I agree the level of stupidity has been on the rise at coachella but I never let it get more than 2 seconds of my time. I have way too much fun with my group of friends or watching an awesome band fuck shit up. if I see someone acting like a jackass, talking loudly during a quiet set, being brotastic, being a reckless drunk, etc., I either don't pay attention to them or simply relocate. This year I was able to navigate thru crowds easily. This helped me stay away from all the dummies.
    Basically this. Although it kinda sucks to have to move just because a group of idiots showed up near you, I've learned that when my annoyance level is higher than how much fun I'm having, it's time to move out. Don't stay somewhere just on the principle of the thing (unless you're right up close to the stage or something). Tougher to do if you're with a big crowd of people yourself, though.
    06, 08-14

You know I did see a few pass in front/behind me but there was just a lot of room in the crowds this year that it didn't bother me. I really was too busy dancing and having fun to even bother with idiots.
    That's really the only part of bro-ness that actively irritated me this year. By Sunday I made it a mission to try to kick or trip every bro-train that came near me. My reaction time is not what it used to be however, so no bros were actually harmed.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I just mentioned Brandon's idea as a possibility. I don't really want to get rid of the Sahara. I actually appreciate it's ability to coral some of the stupidity. I think my concern is more global. I've been to Coachella since it's genesis and I have witnessed the decline of intelligence in it's attendees. Is it just because the numbers have grown so much and the 80/20 rule is becoming more obvious or is the next generation of festival goer simply dumber? Is it the music that is making them dumber? Is it the coddling of their parents and the lack of exposure to genuine consequences? I don't know, but I was really frustrated by it all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I just mentioned Brandon's idea as a possibility. I don't really want to get rid of the Sahara. I actually appreciate it's ability to coral some of the stupidity. I think my concern is more global. I've been to Coachella since it's genesis and I have witnessed the decline of intelligence in it's attendees. Is it just because the numbers have grown so much and the 80/20 rule is becoming more obvious or is the next generation of festival goer simply dumber? Is it the music that is making them dumber? Is it the coddling of their parents and the lack of exposure to genuine consequences? I don't know, but I was really frustrated by it all.
    popularity is the answer to your question . the line up is also another answer. cheese brings in really dumb mouses. imagine if the line up included no huge cheese pop stars on the radio? the sahara exp. would have been exponentially greater

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    That's really the only part of bro-ness that actively irritated me this year. By Sunday I made it a mission to try to kick or trip every bro-train that came near me. My reaction time is not what it used to be however, so no bros were actually harmed.
    My only act of violence all weekend was to shove the last guy in a train during the mass exodus after Gotye played "Somebody I Used To Know." I was so irritated that so many people had crowded at the front, knowing damn well they were going to leave after they heard that one song. I snapped.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

I dream about hearing FlyLo in the Sahara, its a fucking disgrace he has not played in that tent.

So here's another dream - Festival on the Polo Fields in October quality EDM 21+ (was hoping for something like this when the two weekend deal was announced)

While I agree that there seems to be more idiots at the festival than in the past, my favorite two Coachellas have been the last two years. There is still a lot that is being done right. Just go with a nice group of friends and expect to see a bunch of derp'ers, and you will be ok. Manage expectations and realize the Coachella of old is not coming back. The new version can be just as fun, exhilarating, uplifting, etc as before if you do not hope for the unrealistic. If it has changed too much for you to get over it, that is understandable. Just find another festival that tailors to your wants and needs (seems like ATP is the festival of choice for these types). It is not the end of the world to grow out of something. The lack of understanding and the anger you have in dealing with the current teen population is likely a similar reaction of those before you when you were teens. Embrace it or move on.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by SpicySammich View Post
    So here's another dream - Festival on the Polo Fields in October quality EDM 21+

I will never embrace it, but I will acknowledge and move on. It was frustrating for me that the element was so hard to avoid. I know I sound like such a curmudgeon at the moment, but I will be back next year.

I will never embrace it, but I will acknowledge and move on. It was frustrating for me that the element was so hard to avoid. I know I sound like such a curmudgeon at the moment, but I will be back next year.
    Algunz, you and I had a similar conversation about rave culture in another thread. Shit changes over time. When music/events/sub cultures become popular it attracts undesirables. You know this already.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Just find another festival that tailors to your wants and needs (seems like ATP is the festival of choice for these types). It is not the end of the world to grow out of something. The lack of understanding and the anger you have in dealing with the current teen population is likely a similar reaction of those before you when you were teens. Embrace it or move on.
    This. I'm actually skipping Coachella next year to hopefully check out ATP and other fests overseas. Maybe staying away from Coachella for a bit will bring the magic back it once had for me. I had a ton of fun this year but after 9 years straight it's time to check other stuff out.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

"coral"
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "coral"
    Damn you!

Algunz, you and I had a similar conversation about rave culture in another thread. Shit changes over time. When music/events/sub cultures become popular it attracts undesirables. You know this already.
    I know, but it still makes me sad that the same element is infiltrating another great music experience for me.

i guess that is one benefit of having a guest pass or above. i look at the little "corals" they give us at the front of that stages as a barrier keeping that element away from me now thanks to this thread, haha. didn't really have to deal with any of the aforementioned brotards and tweenyweenies.

I hear a lot of people complaining about sets being ruined by crowds this year but for me, aside from a completely obnoxious group of people who were on E and just waiting through The Black Keys for Swedish House Mafia, I don't really have any complaints about the crowds. In fact, for most of my favorite sets, the experience was enhanced by the crowd.

For example, a lot of people said too many people were talking around them during Jeff Magnum. Where I was, there were people crying they were so excited to see him and if they were singing a long, it was at a respectful volume and not belting them lyrics out at the top of their lungs. The people around me during that set definitely helped make it one of my favorites of the weekend. And thats just one of a number of examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i guess that is one benefit of having a guest pass or above. i look at the little "corals" they give us at the front of that stages as a barrier keeping that element away from me now thanks to this thread, haha. didn't really have to deal with any of the aforementioned brotards and tweenyweenies.
    I have some good friends that went weekend 2, and I didn't know they had the guest pass (all access, whatever it's called), and as I was looking at their pictures all I kept thinking was where is the crowd? Really no one showed up for this band?

if sahara had any legitimacy in the dance world anymore this intro comment would offend me, but alas i could probably care less if sahara was shut down or not because it's utter lack of compelling artists the past two years has prevented me from going.

and, there already is a giant electronic festival, it's called wmc and it's in miami. then there's demf in detroit. then there's the retarded step-child of both, which is lightning in a bottle, but i'm not bothering with that.
    -n ://redthreat.us

I think our bitching could easily be solved if there was a better EDM undercard that would play during the day and maybe that one good get that closes out a night or two (Roykksop or Prodigy or whatever). Bros and other idiots will be at this festival regardless so the Sahara does serve a purpose now but that doesn't mean it should be filled to the brim with DJs that play the same tracks or identical music all day
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    While I agree that there seems to be more idiots at the festival than in the past, my favorite two Coachellas have been the last two years. There is still a lot that is being done right. Just go with a nice group of friends and expect to see a bunch of derp'ers, and you will be ok. Manage expectations and realize the Coachella of old is not coming back. The new version can be just as fun, exhilarating, uplifting, etc as before if you do not hope for the unrealistic. If it has changed too much for you to get over it, that is understandable. Just find another festival that tailors to your wants and needs (seems like ATP is the festival of choice for these types). It is not the end of the world to grow out of something. The lack of understanding and the anger you have in dealing with the current teen population is likely a similar reaction of those before you when you were teens. Embrace it or move on.
    Very well said. I agree with all of it.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!