Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss the Dumb Zone

Default Let's discuss the Dumb Zone

I found myself fleeing the Sahara section after I witnessed the dipshit fall from the bamboo sculpture.

Unfortunately, that didn't solve my problem. On Saturday, during The Shins I was in the main stage beer garden and this group of idiots were falling all over each other. They decided to yell every few seconds "Freebird" and they were writing with sharpie all over themselves. They started to write on the cement floor and I said, "Come on, have you no respect for your polo fields?"

Waiting in line to get through security, the stupidity that I was forced to endure was excruciating. It hurt my brain. It hurt my heart. I respect a good party, but I can't stomach the surge of disregard and lack of basic logic.

I'm at a loss. They are going to chase me away. I know I'm getting older. I know "kids will have fun." I refuse to let the element take yet another great musical experience away from me. Following is the best suggestion I've heard in ages, but what else can we do to stop the insanity?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Here's my radical idea that all of the kids are going to hate:

Get rid of the Sahara.

Yep. Get rid of it. With GV now owning the fields, they should put on a 2 or (god help us) 3 day dance event. Call it something stupid, like "Bass Escape" or some shit. Fill it with all of the bullshit that's been plaguing Coachella for the last 4 years and boom, things start to look up. Less raver teens. Smaller festival capacity. More dedicated E/IDM fans. Make the Mojave larger and throw the interesting electronic artists in there. You can keep the Sashas and Modeseletors and Orbitals of the genre. Of course, this would require the festival to want to move in a different direction (and more importantly- make less money), as it would affect the entire booking of the lineup, but still. It's something I wouldn't miss.

/pipe dreams

Default Re: Let's discuss the Dumb Zone

21+

I would legitimately rather listen to "Freebird" -- in its full fifteen minute One More From the Road idiocy/glory -- than to hear another two-second long "Freebird!" joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    21+
    No, I want to keep bringing my kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    No, I want to keep bringing my kids.
    21+ unless accompanied by legal guardian.

Would they necessarily make less money if they split the festival though? I could see them at least breaking even depending on capacities and lineups. Either way it would make me much more inclined to attend.

Four Tet (3/6) ~ St Vincent (3/20) ~ Stephen Malkmus/Speedy Ortiz (3/28) ~ Factory Floor (4/15) ~ Sasquatch (7/4-6)

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I would legitimately rather listen to "Freebird" -- in its full fifteen minute One More From the Road idiocy/glory -- than to hear another two-second long "Freebird!" joke.
    I always yell for "Louie Louie", myself. Because I love "Louie Louie".
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

The only hindrance I would see to Brandon's proposal would be that there's apparently a cap on how many weekends (3) Goldenvoice can run festivals at the polo fields. Unless they were to get around it by returning to just one Coachella and have the EDM fest on what would presently be the 2nd weekend of Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I like the Coachella package they sent out this year. we now all have a snail.....cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    In 12 more years, that snail will be nice and ready for you to fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    The only hindrance I would see to Brandon's proposal would be that there's apparently a cap on how many weekends (3) Goldenvoice can run festivals at the polo fields. Unless they were to get around it by returning to just one Coachella and have the EDM fest on what would presently be the 2nd weekend of Coachella.
    Contracts can be re-negotiated, and Indio may be more amenable given the apparent improvement in residents' experience this year.

This year I noticed for the first time that as you enter the city of Indio on 111 the sign says 'Welcome to Indio - City of Festivals'. Is that new? I think it is. Coachella is becoming part of Indio's identity and they may welcome limited expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Kill the derps

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    21+
    I don't think there should be an age requirement for this music festival. Not everyone under 21 is a complete dolt. Most of the stupidity we witnessed was in the beer gardens like the OP's example. The closest I ever get to the Sahara is the Mojave tent so I can't comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Kill the derps
    You're out for blood today!

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year I noticed for the first time that as you enter the city of Indio on 111 the sign says 'Welcome to Indio - City of Festivals'. Is that new? I think it is. Coachella is becoming part of Indio's identity and they may welcome limited expansion.
    That sign's been there for at least the last 5 years, we have the date festival and the tamale festival too, you know...
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Don't forget the Carrot Festival

'Welcome to Indio - City of Festivals'. Is that new? I think it is. Coachella is becoming part of Indio's identity and they may welcome limited expansion.
    Coachella
    Stagecoach
    Date Fest
    Tamale Fest
    Arts Fest

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    pretty sure goldenvoice would rather let the other promoters out there deal with an all edm fest and the etards it brings out, especially out in the desert and heat. recipe for disaster, especially with the proximity to l.a. and all the clueless parents who would drop their kids off.

Contracts can be re-negotiated, and Indio may be more amenable given the apparent improvement in residents' experience this year.

Its not new...its been the slogan for a long time now.

Getting rid of the Sahara as the EDM stage is a double edged sword. Sure, it would discourage bros from coming, but say Skrillex got booked again. He would probably have to play the Mojave stage, and that bleeds too much into the general population. With the Sahara being the bro-hangout spot for shitty EDM, it keeps the bros and the skankwhores all in one contained area. Getting rid of the one place they are guaranteed to flock to would force the bros who would be attending Coachella to see say, another Swedish House Mafia-esque headliner, to mingle and gather around the places where non-douches would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

I'll probably get heat for saying this, but I do enjoy my mindless electronic/dance music. Granted, with the rise in Sahara Tent going-bros, I've been less inclined to head that direction.
    I've witnessed the mindless drones fucking everything up, but alternative/electronic music is what defines the Coachella festival and that shouldn't be entirely ousted. IMO

You guys are so dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    You guys are so dramatic
    Seriously...I agree the Sahara is getting pretty brotastic, but does it really bring you down that much? I'm not a huge EDM connoisseur, but I enjoy hearing some DJs blow shit up from time to time, even if they're on the cheesy side. And even if you're not a fan of the music, you can't deny the fuckin energy in that tent is out of this world. I just love seeing that many people go bonkers, no matter whos playing. Wish the rock bands could get that kind of reaction. Sometimes I'm amazed at how boring people can be during a rockin show.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Banned

sahara is dead for the most part . long live mojave and gobi

I'm with OGbob on this. Although I can see why it bothers people that some only come to Coachella to enjoy the popular peak time party electronic music that the Sahara has become (that is just one way to enjoy music but there is so much more), I like that the Sahara is there for me even though I spent less time in there then years past. I got my party fix in for Madeon, Alesso in the beer garden, and a few songs for Afrojack and had a blast.

I DO hope that GV intends to throw in more diversity in the EDM/IDM in future years and put them in the Mojave if necessary while this fad runs its course. Keep it diverse!

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

just keep the sahara. it keeps the bros and prostitots all in one place all weekend. You don't want these idiots coming to a set you wanna see and then talking the whole time and complaining about the lack of drops.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

Ok, I'm down with keeping the Sahara as a giant bro-trap, but only if they up the production quality of the other stages to the level of the Sahara.

It just isn't fair trying to hear someone play in a PACKED Mojave while Afrojack soundbleed ruins a set.

I didn't step inside the Sahara tent once this year... It makes me sad too because the first Coachella set I ever saw was in there, and it was so memorable! (Gui '09). At least give us some good early day acts like Gui/Supermayer/Green Velvet/Riva Starr so that people like me can at least check out the tent... I was so jealous looking over at the crazy light production on the ceiling of the Sahara and the bass seemed completely massive.

Why wasn't Fly-lo in the Sahara? Gobi was going absolutely off, and the sound was actually pretty good (for the super inconsistent Gobi) but just imagine the bass/soundsystem/lights of the Sahara and the room to dance. I don't know... obviously GV wants to keep that kind of crowd in the Sahara at all times because they know those fucks will choose Sebastian Ingrosso always...

But for real fix Outdoor, Gobi, and Mojave. Some sets had alright sound (of course if you got close you had good sound) but for the most my only complaint about the festival was the quietness during sets like Frank Ocean, M83, etc etc. Whether I was centered behind the back speaker (which was too far back) or sandwiched in up close (tried both for both of these sets) the music was just too fucking quiet. No one could get fully into the set because of the volume.
    Last edited by ods..; 04-23-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Ok, I'm down with keeping the Sahara as a giant bro-trap, but only if they up the production quality of the other stages to the level of the Sahara.
    Completely agree with this. Time for Mojave to get a facelift.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    just keep the sahara. it keeps the bros and prostitots all in one place all weekend. You don't want these idiots coming to a set you wanna see and then talking the whole time and complaining about the lack of drops.
    every. single. time.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Time for Mojave to get a facelift.
    Yes Yes Yes

geez. so much hate for the sahara.lol. i enjoyed it.

Hey, Michelle. How was your 4/20 party you invited everyone to?
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people