Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So, Now It's Over, What's Everyones Opinion on Two Coachellas?

Default Re: So, Now It's Over, What's Everyones Opinion on Two Coachellas?

Doing both weekends was extremely difficult. The heat literally just about killed me during weekend 2. You wake up at 7:30am to 95 degree temps...I'd go eat breakfast, and then try and find shade to sleep under til the gates open (and I went in at 11am each day because I had no where to go or anything to do in camping)....my back is killing me, my feet are in pain, I feel like I have 10lbs of dirt/dust congested in my chest, and I'm just literally exhausted. I don't know if I could do 2 weekends in a row again, unless I had a house to stay at (no more double camping, that's for sure). And I was in lot fucking 7, in the VERY last row...about as far from the fucking entrance as you can get, never again with that.

menikmati, just imagine how much worse it would be if both weekends were 105 out ....

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    Ha, I got it. I didn't understand the Popsicle. I liked it because it reminded me of my youth and sharing, but I didn't get it. Yes, I know. I am slow, and I'm ok with that. What's the rush?

i like the 2 weekend idea because of the live webcast i can catch acts that are going to be conflicting. plus it doesn't matter of the two weekends. it gives the opportunity for more people to experience this festival. i mean isn't that what it's all about listening to music and having a good time? who cares if you went weekend 1 and saw everyone first and you think you're all cool because of it.
    Friday - Amon Tobin, Breakbot, Frank Ocean, LA Riots, Madeon, M83
    Saturday - Destructo, Dragonette, Feist, Jacques La Cont, Kasabian, Radiohead, SebastiAn
    Sunday - Dj Shadow, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, Flourence and the Machine, Girl Talk, Housse de Racket, Justice, Metronomy, Modeskeletor, Porter Robinson, The Hives, The Weeknd

"Music produces a pleasure that human nature cannot live without"
    Confucius

Only if you went weekend 2 did you get the live web cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    But that's just it, you idiot. How did having a second weekend alter your experience? If you go watch a movie at 2:00 pm, does the existence of a 5:00 pm showing that you don't attend have any impact on what you saw? No, it just means that people who weren't able to watch the movie at 2:00 were able to watch it at 5:00. Same deal here. If attendance was 80-85k, then there were 75-80k people who got shut out of weekend 1 who were able to experience Coachella anyway.

this. after 7 years every year just gets better and better, the lineup may not please everyone but our group of about 30 people goes every year because its the best weekend of our entire year! If there's another chance for people to get together if they all can't make weekend 1 then by all means experience what I experienced the weekend before in your own way! I do like that the surprises were actually surprises during weekend 1 though!
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    THERE'S ADVANTAGES TO BOTH!
    ADVANTAGES! ADVANTAGES!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is the part where the light bulb isn't going on for you.

The only thing that is disappointing for you is that there was part of it you weren't there for, and that somehow diminishes your experience?

This was my eighth Coachella, and the fact that there was a Weekend 2 did not alter my Weekend 1 experience one iota. Not one little bit. And it didn't alter yours, either. The only disappointment is the one you have created for yourself in your own brain.

Seriously dude, you need to see yourself, because yeah, you do come across as sort of whiny with this.
    Sure, maybe I am whining. Complaining and trying to start a discussion to get other people's ideas is a better way to describe it though.

And I'm glad that you felt that it didn't alter your experience at all, that's why I started this thread, to discuss what people felt. And I'd consider it a success because people are answering their opinion. It's just squished between insults, trolling, and retarded jabbering. Like the rest of the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    But that's just it, you idiot. How did having a second weekend alter your experience? If you go watch a movie at 2:00 pm, does the existence of a 5:00 pm showing that you don't attend have any impact on what you saw? No, it just means that people who weren't able to watch the movie at 2:00 were able to watch it at 5:00. Same deal here. If attendance was 80-85k, then there were 75-80k people who got shut out of weekend 1 who were able to experience Coachella anyway.
    Because the difference is that the movie at 2:00 PM was different then the movie at 5 PM. The first show is the 'original', the second showing is the 'remake' (if you want to continue this ridiculous analogy). There are differences between the two movies. But if you are trying to say that I would've gotten the exact same experience from weekend one as weekend two then hey, no point arguing with someone who is wrong.

The existence of a second weekend doesn't necessarily alter my experience, as correlation does not imply causality, and all you are doing in your points is correlating my and your thoughts to imply that the existence of a second weekend caused my feelings. It is not the existence of it, it's the fact that it's fucking impossible to go both weekends for me and most people, and this is why my experience was altered.

You can insult me all you want, try and troll, but I started this thread for the sake of discussion. Not for you to all try and tear apart my post. So discuss.
    Last edited by knuthamsun; 04-23-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knuthamsun View Post

The existence of a second weekend doesn't necessarily alter my experience, as correlation does not imply causality, and all you are doing in your points is correlating my and your thoughts to imply that the existence of a second weekend caused my feelings. It is not the existence of it, it's the fact that it's fucking impossible to go both weekends for me and most people, and this is why my experience was altered.

Last edited by SONR801; 04-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

Nope, still come off like a whining twat that is upset that you can't get everything you want in life
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

I can't help but feel like I missed something.
    06', 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12', 13'

what a kunt
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I could not agree more with that statement. This explains why the 1st showing of Titantic was proboly better than the 5,000th showing I seen, which sucked.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I was one of the Weekend 1 people looking forward to the Weekend 2 webcast to hopefully catch some sets I missed. This whole past weekend I kept saying to myself, "right now I would be seeing _____." I'm also a tad jealous because Weekend 2 wristbands look better to me (minor). I'm solving all my problems by saving extra and going to both next year. I wonder if this is how GV was hoping I would feel... hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Every time I read a thread like this, I immediately want to google "retard" to find pictures of retards to post. But then I realize I'm at work, and doing a google search for "retard" may not be the best idea. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can google instead of "retard" so I can get some good pictures of retards? Idiot, dumbass, and stupid don't garner the appropriate results.
    Mongoloid works pretty well
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

I'm exhausted after 2 weeks. I'd be happy to go back to 1 week.

pre-saleing weekend 1.

buying weekend 2 if the lineup is ridic.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    pre-saleing weekend 1.

buying weekend 2 if the lineup is ridic.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm doing. Been 5 years, was pretty well run this year minus a few technical glitches. Ended up buying a wristband for just Sat/Sun (no vacation days left) for $200 since I had such a good string of shows on Saturday for my personal tastes (St. Vincent->Kasabian->Bon Iver->Miike Snow/SBTRKT->Radiohead->Sub Focus) and wanted to catch a couple of early Sunday sets (Metronomy, Wild Beasts) that were good from the wkd before. Re-sold the wristband for $100 to someone who only wanted to catch Dre + Snoop.

My one hope for next year - bring back single day tickets. If I could have, I would have bought one for Saturday only for Wkd 2 since that was the day that presented either the most conflicts.

Don't know if others opinions are the same, but most of the sets I saw Wkd 2 were "better" in the sense that it seemed like either (i) the artist had a better idea of what would go well with the crowd (St. Vincent ending with Krokodil and Radiohead playing Exit Music being my two favorites) or (ii) less technical glitches (Justice, Sub Focus). However, I have never seen the grounds as beaten up as Sunday of Wkd 2 - Stagecoach, get ready for that dust!

From a re-sale perspective, it didn't seem like there were an inordinate amount of tickets on the market for Wkd 2, contrary to what I had thought was going to happen - I thought I would for sure be able to get a "weekend" wristband for $150 or less, ended up settling for $200. Also, about 100 people responded to my craigslist post (at 2PM on Sunday) for a Sunday-night-only wristband - Sunday one-day tickets (had they been available) would have gone like wildfire for all the Dre fans.

I think the heat played a big role in weekend 2ers not being as excitable as weekend 1. Weekend 1 definitely felt like more of a party, and weekend 2 a lot of the people just wanted to be there.

Doing two weekends was incredible but I am really tired and cannot quite believe real life resumes tomorrow.
    These were my 12th and 13th straight. This time camping in the heart of Lot 8 central to everything with the
    coolest Brits, Aussies, Wyoming cowboys, and some Phoenix and Los Angeles to boot.
    We had a flower garden and sultan curtains nicely lit right on that main walkway west of Main Street.

I can't believe it's over. Lightning in a Bottle will help.

Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    My one hope for next year - bring back single day tickets. If I could have, I would have bought one for Saturday only for Wkd 2 since that was the day that presented either the most conflicts.
    you really think there is ANY chance of that ever happening again? why even hope?

And I'm glad that you felt that it didn't alter your experience at all, that's why I started this thread, to discuss what people felt. And I'd consider it a success because people are answering their opinion.
    I'll add another data point. The existence of a second weekend didn't alter my experience at all. And there wasn't even a twinge of regret as weekend 2 started, I never felt like I was missing something I should have seen.

Because the difference is that the movie at 2:00 PM was different then the movie at 5 PM. The first show is the 'original', the second showing is the 'remake' (if you want to continue this ridiculous analogy). There are differences between the two movies. But if you are trying to say that I would've gotten the exact same experience from weekend one as weekend two then hey, no point arguing with someone who is wrong.
    No one is trying to say that you'd get the "exact same experience" no matter which weekend you went to, please stop strawmanning. What I think people are trying to say is that what is essential to Coachella, what keeps Coachella as Coachella over the years is there whether you go weekend 1 or weekend 2.

Also in larger cities many bands will play multiple nights; last December the National did a 4-night run at the Beacon Theater here in NYC. I was not able to go to even one of these shows but I had managed would you expect it to be an empty experience because that still meant I was missing 3 shows from this band I love? When Radiohead did two nights at the Roseland last Fall and my friends got tickets for the second night only should I have recommended that they just skip that show because they wouldn't be able to go to the first night too?

You said you have been to five Coachellas, did the existence of the other 8 ruin your fun at those five? It is quite "fucking impossible" for me to go back and go to Coachella 1999 yet this does not diminish my enjoyment of current festivals.

This is a collector's impulse. Back in the days before filesharing I used to want to have all the CD singles and Japanese versions of CDs and whatnot to collect the b-sides and bonus tracks. I want to say it was wasteful, but, really, it made me happy. The more difficult to get something was, the more it was prized. So I can sort of see how this, Want To Attend Them All! idea works. And though Phoenix rarely got multiple shows if they did I bet I would want to attend each and every one, especially as I was often wont to drive to Tucson, Las Vegas or California to get an extra show anyway. As recently as November 2010 I drove to Tucson to see Joanna Newsom in addition to seeing her in Phoenix (after having driven to LA for a show that summer.)

But fuck the collector's impulse. There is too much good shit out there to do variations on a theme, over and over and over.

Also I want to know if there are similar discussions back in 1999 re: Reading expanding into Leeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Also musicals and plays are often done in indefinite/long runs, there's no way you can attend every performance.

Operas and classical music concerts are often done in multiple performance runs; the showings aren't the same but each is still the thing, complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Hey knuthamsun, what do you do when a band plays two nights in your city and plays different songs? Bon Iver once played here two nights and I could only go to the second, but he played my favorite song the first night. I was furious, so I have been urging the venue and him/his management that they should only play the same songs every night, make the same jokes, and have the same amount of energy. Some bands like Tool have started to adhere to this, but then I realized that the crowds react differently. I quickly came up with a solution though, every time a band comes to town I convince everyone in the crowd before hand to only clap 7 times after each song, this way the artist doesn't respond differently between songs. If you start doing this in your town maybe we can get the entire country to do this and the touring bands won't have any choice but to give everyone the exact same experience. This way when we all get to Coachella, we can spend less time discussing the unique attributes of when each artist came to our town and instead spend our time crusading to get the entire Coachella crowd to join our noble cause of everyone deserves the exact same show all the time, no exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Jesus, some of you are such assholes. Somebody has a different opinion than you so just attack him and call him names.

And these analogies aren't really accurate. Movies, musicals, and even concerts are not experienced the same way as Coachella. Coachella is more interactive and communal as opposed to a bunch of people sitting there staring at a screen. If 2 people see different showings, they had the same experience. 2 different coachellas are completely different experiences.

I can understand the idea of loving Coachella so much that it sucks knowing it's going on without you, yet you can't afford to go both weekends. Also it sucks when some of your friends could only get tickets for another weekend. It's more fun to me when everybody is talking about the same thing, and doesnt have to specify weekend 1 or weekend 2. But I guess you have to weigh those negatives with the positives, which are mainly that more people get to experience Coachella. And also GV makes more coin which they hopefully re-invest in making the festival better each year.

To me the whole 2 weekend thing is a bit annoying, but not enough to diminish my experience in any way. I still had a blast. And if you are rich enough (or lucky enough in my case) to make it to both weekends, then hell, you get twice the fun! I must say, going both weekend was fuckin incredible. You could have a totally different experience and see the acts you missed last time. Although my lungs, feet, and brain are all pretty run down. Definitely gonna take it easy for a while...

Btw, did anybody see the crew during weekend 1 that were all wearing shirts/sweatshirts that were pro weekend 1 like it was a war? They said stuff like "not a blade of grass will be standing for weekend 2". There were a couple others but I can't remember what they said. It made me chuckle though.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

I went to Coachella. The End.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

i personally don't like the idea of two weekends but who cares,i could only handle one weekend however i do feel attending both weekends definitely takes away from the experience but to each their own
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

It's no the same at all,

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn163 View Post
    I really wanted one of these tee shirts because I felt like a Popsicle on Friday, but they only had a size that would fit a 5 year old boy.

I loved weekend 1. My only complaint is that they didn't stream the second weekend. Boo.
    Holy agreed with this part. I made choices on which acts to see because, I thought I would be able to see them stream on weekend 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolswaglol View Post
    I don't see people on the map. somebody please help. does this mean coachella is canceled?
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.
    Coachella lifer since 2007

Besides the ridiculous heat I had a great time last weekend. Staying in a hotel was definitely a great choice this year, but it wasn't my choice. My girlfriend really didn't want to camp so we decided on a hotel, and it worked out. A good night's sleep in air conditioning and getting a good breakfast everyday was absolutely key. I was going crazy during Modeselektor on Sunday night and all of my friends that camped look exhausted and didn't seem like they were having that much fun. I think camping is kind of overrated, especially with the heat and the sketchy cholo security guards (who tried to steal stuff from my friend's campsite). In regards to the two weekend thing, I think it's a smart move on Goldenvoice's part. I'll never go both weekends in a row because there's no way I could handle it, but I understand why they do it. They make more money, and it gives more people a chance to experience the magic that is Coachella. Even though I'm sick and exhausted it was an awesome fucking weekend.

Only huge complaint is the amount of 18 year old frat bros in the Sahara all weekend. But I guess that comes with the territory with EDM now days.