Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnibus 2013 Headliner Speculation and Argument Thread

Default Re: Omnibus 2013 Headliner Speculation and Argument Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    It was probably some sort of contractual thing that their management negotiated, possibly because they were at the top of the bill at other comparable festivals (though those festivals had more than three acts on the top line).
    That had to have been it, and after catching a few minutes of their set, and me and my girlfriend, she don't underrrrrrrstand.

Seriously, why were a headliner?

Damn contractual obligations.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    So, I probably shouldn't even bother to mention this because when it was first told to me I went through about a half hour of calling bullshit on the guy who told me but then again he's a partner in my company with me and he does travel in the kind of insanely rich circles where this kinda shit might come about in conversation... but I've been told that there's a real Floyd tour happening next year. Gilmour and Waters, together. FWIW.

Do not fuck with me, Randy. I will physically harm you.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

At this point it wouldn't surprise me.... plus its been 4 years since DSOTM @ Coachella. Bring it on.....

Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

new prediction -

friday - Jack White
    saturday - Pearl Jam
    sunday - Depeche Mode < Daft Punk
    Last edited by Coachella Bound; 08-28-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    new prediction -

friday - Jack White
    saturday - Pearl Jam
    Sounds about right.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

new prediction -

friday - Jack White
    saturday - Pearl Jam
    I'd be pretty ok with this. Even the Pearl Jam part.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

I'd believe that over all the other shit I'm seeing in here. At least headlinerwise...
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Roger has made a statement that he's eyeing stadium WALL dates in Europe for 2013. Plus Gilmour hasn't done a full gig without Richard Wight since....1984?
    Gilmour has also stated that the songs for which Wright played an integral part he will never perform again, which for me wipes out a lot of what I would want to hear (the performances of Echoes from 2006 are mind blowing)

I'd prefer just Gilmour and no Waters. If they are together Waters would force it to be either too Wall heavy or a total performance of The Wall. Surely most fans would prefer a more varied set list than a full album play.

To see either, or both, would still be great. But at this point in time maybe bittersweet. We also need Mason on board, the only performer on every PF studio album. I have no idea why he did not tour with Gilmour in 2006

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    Gilmour has also stated that the songs for which Wright played an integral part he will never perform again, which for me wipes out a lot of what I would want to hear (the performances of Echoes from 2006 are mind blowing)

I'd prefer just Gilmour and no Waters. If they are together Waters would force it to be either too Wall heavy or a total performance of The Wall. Surely most fans would prefer a more varied set list than a full album play.

To see either, or both, would still be great. But at this point in time maybe bittersweet. We also need Mason on board, the only performer on every PF studio album. I have no idea why he did not tour with Gilmour in 2006
    I know we have to be hipsters and too cool for everything but you're seriously complaining about a Pink Floyd reunion?

It will never happen, ever -- any other reunion is more likely. But seriously don't worry about what they'd play. Let's not pretend this wouldn't be the best thing that ever happened.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 08-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.

DM wont be there. I'm like 95% sure.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

For some reason I woke up today absolutely convinced that Metallica will headline, with QOTSA pre-headlining.

I don't know how valid an opinion this is, but based on gut feeling, I'm going to have to say Pearl Jam/Daft Punk/No Doubt.

Friday:
    Pearl Jam
    Jack White - Sigur Ros - SSPU
    Kid Cudi - Missy & Timbaland - Grizzly Bear

Saturday
    Daft Punk
    Beck - Phoenix- Foster The People
    Bloc Party - Passion Pit - De La Soul

Sunday:
    The Rolling Stones
    Vampire Weekend - Lupe Fiasco - Deadmau5
    The XX - ES & thr MZ's - Metric

Others: Band of Horses, MF DOOM, Best Coast, Beach House, Young the Giant, Die Antwoord, Of Monsters and Men, Alabama Shakes, Crystal Castles, The Avett Brothers,Fiona Apple.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by gary312 View Post
    Just to put point out there. Booking The Black Keys as headliners wasn't really a lazy booking. If it hadn't been for Tony Iommi's cancer, Black Sabbath would've played. What do you do with two months ish to go.
    Bjork and Foo Fighters both played Lolla the week before Chella and had both weekends off. Also Coldplay were a strong candidate and only announced their dates a week before Chella lineup was announced - they were on the west coast both weekends.

AEG/GV are the Keys management and wanted to inflate the band's booking power in arenas.

Jack White
    Green Day
    Daft Punk

Surprisingly I actually wouldn't mind Green Day because I know they have really energetic live performances, and lets face it, they're going to draw a big crowd and people are going to have fun at their set even if they're whining and complaining on here.
    Last edited by Shoulda Named Ya Laika; 09-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.

absolutely would not watch..... but wouldnt be surprised to see them on the lineup.

Okay, well I that makes Green Day very likely now. Fucking lame GV. Anybody else. ANYBODY.

edit:

Ugh....if Friday mainstage ends up being Green Day ---> Skrillex they better have something fucking awesome going on somewhere else.

Then again, it's early...who knows.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 09-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    Okay, well I that makes Green Day very likely now. Fucking lame GV. Anybody else. ANYBODY.

Ugh....if Friday mainstage ends up being Green Day ---> Skrillex they better have something fucking awesome going on somewhere else.

Then again, it's early...who knows.
    GD will get a 120 or 150 minute set while Keys/kings of Leon only took up 90 minutes. if it was GD and a big DJ aftward then GD would have to start their set around 7:30.

Green Day with Sigur Ros playing opposite on the Outdoor. Then Underworld to close out the main.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

absolutely would not watch..... but wouldnt be surprised to see them on the lineup.
    I would watch Green Day. My philosophy is this: I'd be sick to my stomach the moment I find out that, say, Lady Gaga (bleh) were to headline, but I would still see her set because:

1) I'm at Coachella to have FUN, not be a music snob (which I am on any other day); the music, ENERGY, stage theatrics, and everyone dancing is going to be FUN, and even if I am far from being a fan, I believe in making the best out of a situation like this and having a damn good time with my friends. Doesn't matter what band it is. Unless the artist has absolutely nothing to offer, but that isn't the case with Green Day (like them or hate them, a lot of people are going to love their set).

2) I didn't pay $350 to skip out on one of the headliners. Come on.
    Last edited by Shoulda Named Ya Laika; 09-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.

old school

Am I missing anyone

Acts with strongest likelihood:
    -Rolling Stones(London shows have AEG connection)
    -No Doubt(needs co-headliner to placate "pop" stigma, needs lots of other SoCal shows to satisfy market meaning return in September 2013)
    -Green Day(fall/spring dates give evidence)
    -Pearl Jam(20th years since 1993 show that put Indio on the map, have declined in the past)
    -Depeche Mode(new album, touring, big SoCal audience)

Fuzzy 2013 plans, not out of running:
    -Neil Young(has to be electric/Crazy Horse to headline, could do with guests like CSN. Hollywood Bowl show is 6 months before Chella)
    -Skrillex(I was there with an arena packed of kids going bonkers in Seattle last weekend, Deadmau5 is an off year)
    -Jack White(probably only a headliner if Meg decides to leave the house, he's to be somewhere on the 2013 bill)

No known 2013 activity:
    -Madonna(Live Nation contract complicates things, Staples October 10/11 - 6 months)
    -ACDC(rumours of handful of dates being shopped?)
    -Beyonce(Glastonbury proves she can do it, would have guests to make it special)
    -Bjork(any 2013 touring plans known?)

"weak"/"Lazy"/Odd Genre fit bookings for headliners:
    -Mumford & Sons(needs ot be more established)
    -Smashing Pumpkins(AEG doing arena tour, LA date is 6 months prior to Chella)
    -Rammstein(genre/language barrier)
    -Katy Perry(non touring year?)
    -Rihanna(April 8th Staples, left schedule holes to attend)
    -Killers(new album, 2009 repeat)
    -Foo Fighters(they need to hide out for a bit, weirdly didn't do Seattle/Portland shows last tour)
    -Coldplay(saturated the market this album)
    -MUSE(too soon after 2010?)

Longshots:
    -Gaga(has SoCal dates in January, roughly same week as Chella Lineup)
    -Eminem(wait a year)
    -Sabbath(Iommi health/Bill Ward??)
    -Beach Boys(wrong setting for them, 2013 dates rumoured?)
    -TOOL(only when there's new material released)
    -Fleetwood Mac(will another reunion tour happen?)
    -NIN(if Trent gets bored of wearing Tuxidos on red carpets)
    -Roger Waters(Europe Stadium dates for Summer 2013 seem to be happening. Too depressing for a festival?)
    -Soundgarden(only if the first proper dates with new material, if it's good)
    -Kanye/Jay-Z(too soon after 2011 and 2010)
    -Adele(new mother, shies away from Arenas/festival and genre issues)
    -Phoenix(needs to be more established?)
    -Guns 'n Roses(tardiness, wrong crowd plus they have Vegas residency)
    -Thom Yorke/Atoms of Peace(He doesn't need to play 2010/2012/2013)
    -Aerosmith(odd fit, lazy booking?)
    -David Bowie(retired)
    -Bruce Springsteen(Anaheim date in December, will tour in 2013, odd Chella fit?)
    -The Cure(too soon after 2009? Lazy headliner booking?)
    -RHCP(saturated the market this album, don't need to be threepeat headliner)
    -REM(defunct and don't need the money but would be perfect for a Chella one-off)
    -U2(haven't heard anything recent about them)
    -Stevie Wonder(No new material, odd Chella fit or lazy booking?)
    -Van Halen(EVH needs a clean bill of health after recent surgery, DLR's voice)
    -RUSH(never done a US Festival? Mid November dates in SoCal)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulda Named Ya Laika View Post
    I would watch Green Day. My philosophy is this: I'd be sick to my stomach the moment I find out that, say, Lady Gaga (bleh) were to headline, but I would still see her set because:

1) I'm at Coachella to have FUN, not be a music snob (which I am on any other day); the music, ENERGY, stage theatrics, and everyone dancing is going to be FUN, and even if I am far from being a fan, I believe in making the best out of a situation like this and having a damn good time with my friends. Doesn't matter what band it is. Unless the artist has absolutely nothing to offer, but that isn't the case with Green Day (like them or hate them, a lot of people are going to love their set).

2) I didn't pay $350 to skip out on one of the headliners. Come on.
    1) I can have fun and be a music snob. I would never say "doesn't matter what band it is." It always matters. Good music > (and more fun than) bad music.

2) The past three years I've only seen one headliner. At Outside Lands I saw none of the headliners. There are 5 stages that are almost always going. I don't see why you have to see the headliners to have fun. In fact, I'd be kinda disappointed if there were three headliners I wanted to see. It's more fun to hang out at the other stages sometimes.

But.....as I just saw Supre saying on another thread...those dates really do imply an Almost Acoustic Christmas set. That could be one of their LA shows. They say they are announcing another leg pretty soon. They might end up hitting LA twice. I have hope now. Fuck Green Day.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 09-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.

GD will get a 120 or 150 minute set while Keys/kings of Leon only took up 90 minutes. if it was GD and a big DJ aftward then GD would have to start their set around 7:30.
    You would have said Radiohead would get a 150 min set too. You probably would have thought Dre/Snoop would get longer than 70 mins, especially with all their guest appearances. Coachella shortens sets. This isn't Bonnaroo.

-Skrillex(I was there with an arena packed of kids going bonkers in Seattle last weekend, Deadmau5 is an off year)
    Can't let this get lost.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Can't let this get lost.
    I hate his music but at the Bumbershoot festival I was going to the hotel and I could get in without paying since I had a weekend pass just to check out 20 minutes. I've seen 400 rock shows and NEVER seen a crowd react that way.

Am I missing anyone

Acts with strongest likelihood:
    -Rolling Stones(London shows have AEG connection)
    -No Doubt(needs co-headliner to placate "pop" stigma, needs lots of other SoCal shows to satisfy market meaning return in September 2013)
    -Green Day(fall/spring dates give evidence)
    -Pearl Jam(20th years since 1993 show that put Indio on the map, have declined in the past)
    -Depeche Mode(new album, touring, big SoCal audience)

Fuzzy 2013 plans, not out of running:
    -Neil Young(has to be electric/Crazy Horse to headline, could do with guests like CSN. Hollywood Bowl show is 6 months before Chella)
    -Jack White(probably only a headliner if Meg decides to leave the house, he's to be somewhere on the 2013 bill)

No known 2013 activity:
    -Madonna(Live Nation contract complicates things, Staples October 10/11 - 6 months)
    -ACDC(rumours of handful of dates being shopped?)
    -Beyonce(Glastonbury proves she can do it, would have guests to make it special)
    -Bjork(any 2013 touring plans known?)

"weak"/"Lazy"/Odd Genre fit bookings for headliners:
    -Mumford & Sons(needs ot be more established)
    -Smashing Pumpkins(AEG doing arena tour, LA date is 6 months prior to Chella)
    -Rammstein(genre/language barrier)
    -Katy Perry(non touring year?)
    -Rihanna(April 8th Staples, left schedule holes to attend)
    -Killers(new album, 2009 repeat)
    -Foo Fighters(they need to hide out for a bit, weirdly didn't do Seattle/Portland shows last tour)
    -Coldplay(saturated the market this album)
    -MUSE(too soon after 2010?)

Longshots:
    -Gaga(has SoCal dates in January, roughly same week as Chella Lineup)
    -Eminem(wait a year)
    -Sabbath(Iommi health/Bill Ward??)
    -Beach Boys(wrong setting for them, 2013 dates rumoured?)
    -TOOL(only when there's new material released)
    -Fleetwood Mac(will another reunion tour happen?)
    -NIN(if Trent gets bored of wearing Tuxidos on red carpets)
    -Roger Waters(Europe Stadium dates for Summer 2013 seem to be happening. Too depressing for a festival?)
    -Soundgarden(only if the first proper dates with new material, if it's good)
    -Kanye/Jay-Z(too soon after 2011 and 2010)
    -Adele(new mother, shies away from Arenas/festival and genre issues)
    -Phoenix(needs to be more established?)
    -Guns 'n Roses(tardiness, wrong crowd plus they have Vegas residency)
    -Thom Yorke/Atoms of Peace(He doesn't need to play 2010/2012/2013)
    -Aerosmith(odd fit, lazy booking?)
    -David Bowie(retired)
    -Bruce Springsteen(Anaheim date in December, will tour in 2013, odd Chella fit?)
    -The Cure(too soon after 2009? Lazy headliner booking?)
    -RHCP(saturated the market this album, don't need to be threepeat headliner)
    -REM(defunct and don't need the money but would be perfect for a Chella one-off)
    -U2(haven't heard anything recent about them)
    -Stevie Wonder(No new material, odd Chella fit or lazy booking?)
    -Van Halen(EVH needs a clean bill of health after recent surgery, DLR's voice)
    -RUSH(never done a US Festival? Mid November dates in SoCal)
    OMG SO DAFT PUNK ISN'T HAPPENING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    You would have said Radiohead would get a 150 min set too. You probably would have thought Dre/Snoop would get longer than 70 mins, especially with all their guest appearances. Coachella shortens sets. This isn't Bonnaroo.
    Radiohead were doing 120m sets at shows leading up to Coachella.

If RH or Dre wanted longer sets their requests would have been granted. Coachella probably has had some of the longest festival sets in North America if you exclude "jam-bands".

old school

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    OMG SO DAFT PUNK ISN'T HAPPENING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    They were on my written version of this list done on a post-it note, nice catch. Last I heard an album is in the pike and there's talks with festivals in Europe.

With Mau5 out of action are the only option for EDM act outside the SaharaTent Skrillex or Daft?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

can we all agree that Bumblebee shouldn't be the one doing this.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep