Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnibus 2013 Headliner Speculation and Argument Thread

Default Re: Omnibus 2013 Headliner Speculation and Argument Thread

You're fine. Negative backlash was soooo 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Is Foster the People a possibility for the "Muse/KOL/Killers" headliner slot or is it still too early?

Edit: I immediately feel self conscious and regretful of this post...
    Too early. Mumford & Sons on the other hand....

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulda Named Ya Laika View Post
    Pearl Jam was dad's classic rock as far as what late 80s/early 90s kids considered to be cool back then (and today for that matter). I bring this up because I've been asking friends if they care for Pearl Jam and so far the general response has been something along the lines of "meh". As far as headliners go, Missy Elliot + Timbaland would be a hit, as would be Daft Punk, as would The Rolling Stones because obviously the Stones transcend generations.
    I need more convincing that Outkast, Missy, Depeche, KOL, Muse, Portishead, Tool, Daft Punk, RATM have greater multi generational appeal than Pearl Jam.

Depeche was actually the lowest turnout for a top 3 headliner at Lolla.

The PJ20 documentary, Fallon would have given younger fans reason to understand the fuss over the band.

Outside of the cult, Pearl Jam exists in a fossilized piece of amber that has been carbon dated between 1992 and 1995.

Not an insult to Pearl Jam (or the cult). They have made quality music since then. The cult (and everyone else's residual memories of 1992 to 1995) are substantial enough to justify any tour or headlining spot you can think of. I don't talk to a lot of 19 year old kids, but I doubt that any meaningful number of them have any feelings or even recognition of, say, Riot Act. All of which is to say that I don't think there's really "multi generational" appeal for Pearl Jam.

None of which matters, of course, for festival booking purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

I was there and it was packed.

BUMBLEBEE STRIKES AGAIN
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Captncrzy, could you do the confirmations/rumor thread? This thread is just becoming frustrating.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

old school

Originally Posted by Bumblebee

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I was there and it was packed.

BUMBLEBEE STRIKES AGAIN
    captncrzy's definition of "packed" is very different than mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTTvvOuOfw
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikvoake/3810233737/
    Then had 20,000 dedicated fans then it was kinda barren.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Outside of the cult, Pearl Jam exists in a fossilized piece of amber that has been carbon dated between 1992 and 1995.

Not an insult to Pearl Jam (or the cult). They have made quality music since then. The cult (and everyone else's residual memories of 1992 to 1995) are substantial enough to justify any tour or headlining spot you can think of. I don't talk to a lot of 19 year old kids, but I doubt that any meaningful number of them have any feelings or even recognition of, say, Riot Act. All of which is to say that I don't think there's really "multi generational" appeal for Pearl Jam.
    Stones didn't do much after 1978 that is going to excite anybody too much. The Cure have more of a "cult" than PJ.

PJ was the best live act that came out of the 90's. Why isn't that reason enough?

Acts like U2 and Springsteen did Glasontonbury OK. Both have bigger "cults" than PJ and played a festival that was pre-sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Captncrzy, could you do the confirmations/rumor thread? This thread is just becoming frustrating.
    It wont be any better than this shithole.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Bob is not necessarily bad live . . . just vastly different than what casual fans may expect going in. Whatever else you can say of Dylan and what's left of his voice at this point, his band is ace and you're going to hear "Like A Rolling Stone."

He's not going to headline Coachella, but it would be lovely to have him play a Leonard Cohen type slot one year.
    He is necessarily bad. I've only seen him once and it is up there with worst performances I've ever seen. This is coming from a Dylan fan.

And he didn't play Like a Rolling Stone.

That may be true but keep in mind they were going to book Black Sabbath until health complications had them replaced (some say with Snoop; others with Black Keys). And Black Sabbath seems even more obscure to a younger generation than Pearl Jam who still get a lot of radio play on rock radio (Daughter, Better Man etc.). If PJ headlines they will counter program with something that appeals to the dance crowd in all three tents, maybe even have the Outdoor overlap a bit like they did with Black Keys and KOL.

I have friends in the music business and one of them knew one of the headliners but couldn't say because of work (BS!), and said that two were booked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I think Pearl Jam is really, really, tricky for all the reasons people have mentioned. Acts like Prince, McCartney, Waters, etc are legends. Dre/Snoop and Gorillaz were (or more technically, one was and one was supposed to be) such absolute spectacles that they would appeal to even those who don't like their music. And then you have The Black Keys, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Jay-Z type acts that might skew one way generationally, but are accessible and loved by all ages.

For the same reason that Coachella doesn't generally book headliners that could only really to the younger set (Drake and Lil' Wayne, Rihanna, or something like that), is the same reason that I don't think they'll book Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam, like Soundgarden (another act I've always felt this way about) appeals mostly to one generation, but does not have that overarching "legend" status. BUT if they did play, they'd have to be headliners. So they could headline, but I don't think they will. If their new album receives significant airplay on the radio, then sure, maybe, but I just don't see it happening.

I think the boardies, on average, have a very strong knowledge of music outside their time, but I don't think the average attendee knows nearly as much about music as you all do. I honestly would guess that for many Coachella attendees under the age of 25, they couldn't even name the radio hits like Jeremy or Last Kiss as Pearl Jam songs, let alone be excited to sit through a two hour set. Likewise, I don't think anybody over 25 gives a shit about Drake. Therefore, I doubt either will really be a strong headliner contender. Could be wrong.

I love Pearl Jam, I'm old enough to have seen them when Ten was a new album, and I think they would be a great fit for Coachella. I've seen them live several times and they always give a great performance and I think they'd get the same type of crowd that Black Keys got. I just wonder about time allotment since they tend to play for two and a half to three hour sets. They may not get a lot of radio air play these days, but they have enough hits that everyone knows and that they still play live that would get enough of the crowd into it. Despite lack of strong radio airplay for their newer stuff they still sell out arenas. Four nights at the Gibson in 09 and 2 nights at the Forum in 06. They have a loyal and rabid fan base as well that would show up and support. A good friend of mine is a die hard fan, followed them on tour around the country as well as Europe, but has never been to Coachella and has never had a desire to. I asked her if she'd go if Pearl Jam played and she said she'd pay any amount to go. I think without a doubt they are big enough to headline. Do the headliners really matter anyways? Like always, there will be enough good bands playing on the other stages that if you're not into it then I'm sure there will be someone playing that will satisfy. Didn't M83 conflict with Black Keys last year?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

it feels like a radiohead thread in here.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by schaggydog View Post
    Didn't M83 conflict with Black Keys last year?
    Yes. And with Explosions in the Sky. I was le conflicted.

Stones didn't do much after 1978 that is going to excite anybody too much.
    Yeah but at the end of the day, unlike Pearl Jam, the Stones are still arguably the second biggest rock band of all time...

captncrzy's definition of "packed" is very different than mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTTvvOuOfw
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikvoake/3810233737/
    Then had 20,000 dedicated fans then it was kinda barren.
    OH NVM I DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD YOUTUBE PROOF CARRY ON WITH YOUR BABBLING NONSENSE

Stones didn't do much after 1978 that is going to excite anybody too much. The Cure have more of a "cult" than PJ.

PJ was the best live act that came out of the 90's. Why isn't that reason enough?

Acts like U2 and Springsteen did Glasontonbury OK. Both have bigger "cults" than PJ and played a festival that was pre-sold out.
    You're not even arguing with anything I said . . . you're just making a bunch of tangential comparisons.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Forgive my ignorance, but hasn't Pearl Jam already headlined Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and ACL? I know Coachella skews slightly younger than those fests (well, maybe not Lolla), but I honestly don't see how Pearl Jam isn't a viable headliner for Coachella. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who thinks that a band like Depeche Mode is a better headliner than Pearl Jam is batshit fucking crazy.* Pearl Jam may not play to packed houses of nothing but tweens in dayglow bodypaint, still fighting off the effects of the paint thinner they huffed in the lot (right?), but everyone is acting like they're some forgotten act from the early 80s who this generation hasn't ever heard of, and I think that's way off base.

* Please note that I'm using the term "better" here not as a judge of quality, but rather propriety. So don't get your DM superfan feathers ruffled.

For the record, I think PJ would be a fantastic headliner. Making comments about "skewing to a younger crowd" is just stupid considering the screaming for some headliners (Stones, Neil Young) some of our past headliners (Roger Waters, anyone? Depeche in 2006? Black Sabbath? The Cure? Macca doesn't count--he's universal).

Anyway, none of you know shit. All of you shut up forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but hasn't Pearl Jam already headlined Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and ACL? I know Coachella skews slightly younger than those fests (well, maybe not Lolla), but I honestly don't see how Pearl Jam isn't a viable headliner for Coachella. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who thinks that a band like Depeche Mode is a better headliner than Pearl Jam is batshit fucking crazy.* Pearl Jam may not play to packed houses of nothing but tweens in dayglow bodypaint, still fighting off the effects of the paint thinner they huffed in the lot (right?), but everyone is acting like they're some forgotten act from the early 80s who this generation hasn't ever heard of, and I think that's way off base.

* Please note that I'm using the term "better" here not as a judge of quality, but rather propriety. So don't get your DM superfan feathers ruffled.
    My argument at least is that they would be a headliner if they played, questionably, I just doubt they are at the top of the list, as many have been saying they are because of the 20 year anniversary, etc. Although I actually agree with you about Depeche Mode, especially since they have already headlined.

Wait. Bumblebee's "proof" that Depeche Mode wasn't packed is

1) A 16 second youtube video of what appears to be the outer perimeter of the festival and/or a sparsely filled grassy area with such a shitty view of the stage that why would anyone want to sit there anyway

2) A picture of the crowd as seen from the stage that pretty evidently demonstrates that there was a crowd? For Depeche Mode?

THANKS BUMBLEEBEE!!!!

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Are we seriously debating whether or not Pearl Jam can still headline or if they are a good fit/relevant? Is this what this thread has come to? Are we gonna start discussing the same for Tool or RHCP too?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

If I heard this on the polo fields, I would go apeshit. not a huge PJ fan, but I would go apeshit.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I like that Better Man song, but all the rest sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

old school

Wait. Bumblebee's "proof" that Depeche Mode wasn't packed is

1) A 16 second youtube video of what appears to be the outer perimeter of the festival and/or a sparsely filled grassy area with such a shitty view of the stage that why would anyone want to sit there anyway
    What is sufficient proof for you? Does the clip need to be 90 minutes long? That video is a similar angle as the best VIP sections. The hill is one of the BETTER overall views for those not huddling the stage. I don't know how you can look at the video and tell me more than 30,000 people are present, meaning 45,000 ticket holders had somewhere better to be.

Soundgarden and Depeche Mode were the lightest attended mainstage Lollapalooza headliners.

You magnificently retarded son of a bitch.

Only 55-60k in 2006.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

it rained that day and many people left the park.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

We're going to need affidavits from every attendee that left because of the rain and not because of their utter disgust at Pearl Jam being slotted as a headliner.

I'm talking about Coachella, not Lolla. I don't go to shitty midwest festivals.

You magnificently retarded son of a bitch.
    It's like trying to make a giant sweet potato dance.