Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnibus 2013 Headliner Speculation and Argument Thread

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: Omnibus 2013 Headliner Speculation and Argument Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Not sure if you guys are being serious.
    TY being the exception that proves the rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

old school

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    IMO there is a qualitative difference between an act that would headline and an act that would not.
    So having Morrissey play a bunch of Smiths songs in 2009 means GV are no longer persuing a reunion with Marr?

I'm pretty sure GV has accepted that the Smiths will never happen again, just like the rest of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Just gotta ask...where does this No Doubt love come from...if they're a good "Coachella Fit," then the definition of "Coachella Fit" needs serious changing...I'd take a return of any of our recent weakest headliners we've had the last few years...Muse, Killers, Kings Of Leon, hell even Jack Johnson...in a heartbeat over them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    Better yet why is Muse consistently categorized as a weak headliner on this board?
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Weak as in quality or popularity? If it's popularity we're talking about, then how is Muse weak while Arcade Fire isn't?
    ^ Exactly my point, the term weak isn't being used under the pretense of popularity, rather weak is the term used to describe Muse' perception on this board. IlliniQ and many other board members associate muse with KOL, The Killers and Jack Johnson because for whatever reason, your supposed to cringe when you see their name on the lineup.

GV gives zero fucks about how many Outkast songs Big Boi plays. Good grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

^ Exactly my point, the term weak isn't being used under the pretense of popularity, rather weak is the term used to describe Muse' perception on this board. IlliniQ and many other board members associate muse with KOL, The Killers and Jack Johnson because for whatever reason, your supposed to cringe when you see their name on the lineup.
    Eh, I dunno about that. Muse gets a lot more love on this board than those other bands and they seem to be widely accepted as a legit headliner now. When their new album will be coming out soon, they'll get their own thread filled with anticipation and plenty of discussion, can't say the same for those others.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

old school

Muse played California:

Dec 2009
    April 2010(plus Coachella)
    October 2010
    Summer 2011(2 visits?)

And basically playing the same setlist. That "dilutes" the perception of them as a headliner.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    I'm pretty sure GV has accepted that the Smiths will never happen again, just like the rest of the world
    I never said "Smiths" Reunion. I only said Moz & Marr appearing onstage together(think Page-Plant 94-98).

Similar drawing power as the Smiths and avoids legal hiccups with the name and a certain ex band member who's will likely never be on speaking terms with M&M.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    GV gives zero fucks about how many Outkast songs Big Boi plays. Good grief.
    This.

I hate to say it, but if Mumford & Sons is on the Coachella bill next year, would they really not headline? If their second album is as big as the first, I have to imagine they'd be a headliner. I'd say they'd easily be as big as Kings of Leon, Jack Johnson, the Black Keys, Muse, etc., at least in terms of their recognition from the "average" music fan due to the repeats they get on all kinds of radio format nowadays.

I don't hate the band like some do, but I feel like there are loads of bands I'd rather see in that spot. That said, I feel like if you're putting them on your mock lineup, you should probably have them in one of the top-3 spots.

Who the fuck is Mumford & Sons?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    I hate to say it, but if Mumford & Sons is on the Coachella bill next year, would they really not headline? If their second album is as big as the first, I have to imagine they'd be a headliner. I'd say they'd easily be as big as Kings of Leon, Jack Johnson, the Black Keys, Muse, etc., at least in terms of their recognition from the "average" music fan due to the repeats they get on all kinds of radio format nowadays.

I don't hate the band like some do, but I feel like there are loads of bands I'd rather see in that spot. That said, I feel like if you're putting them on your mock lineup, you should probably have them in one of the top-3 spots.
    It would be unprecedented in one significant way: I don't know that anyone has headlined on the tour in support of what would only be their second album.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Yeah, I think they would have to wait until at least a third album to ensure they have the material/hits/whatever to pull off headlining a major festival. But they were already just the 3rd band on the poster last year when they were right out of the gate, so they don't really have anywhere else to go now but the top line.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    It would be unprecedented in one significant way: I don't know that anyone has headlined on the tour in support of what would only be their second album.
    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Yeah, I think they would have to wait until at least a third album to ensure they have the material/hits/whatever to pull off headlining a major festival. But they were already just the 3rd band on the poster last year when they were right out of the gate, so they don't really have anywhere else to go now but the top line.
    I suppose - but right now they've got what, 3 legit "hits"? Suppose a new album drops in September and they have two more hit singles. They wouldn't have as much material to work with as the Black Keys, Jack Johnson, or Kings of Leon, but they'd probably have enough "big" songs that a lot of casual music fans would recognize/know to slide them in there. I have no idea if this would actually happen, but I see people in here tossing Phoenix around as a headliner, and while I know Phoenix has more indie/hipster/French (ZOMG DAFT PUNK IS FRENCH) cred, and are a better band, I have to imagine that Mumford & Sons is bigger at this point. I'm just saying, they seem to fit the bill for the "lesser" headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Who the fuck is Mumford & Sons?
    Either the Irish Dave Matthews Band, or the bluegrass Skrillex. Take your pick.

I would see them as the first subheadliner, for the "only have two albums" reason other people have mentioned. I would argue that MGMT's first album was just as big as Mumford and Sons, and granted their second album was a huge flop, but even if it was big they wouldn't have headlined 2010.

Rolwolf

Headliner & Secondliner Speculation:

Friday
    Daft Punk
    as the Friday dance act closer, but they actually get headliner status
    Phoenix in the Black Keys spot, but as a sub-headliner
    Culture Club in the Pulp Friday Reunion spot
    Willie Nelson plays sunset Outdoor Theater
    Operation Ivy as the punk rock reunion
    The XX winds up on the 2nd line and Coachella Stage appearance after a new album with a few hits

Saturday
    Beyoncé
    in the Radiohead spot in a move that shocks the internet (the token Hip Hop / Pop headliner on a Saturday?!?!)
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs as the sub-headlining indie-stalwart (promoting an album that gets released a week before weekend 1)
    The National as the Bon Iver-esque indie darling with a 2013 album people fawn over like crazy, except for the people who think it’s boring and sucks and plan to nap during their set.
    The Knife as the Outdoor theater act which shuts down the main stage, only later at night like Mazzy Star this year
    Skrillex is the last name on the 2nd line and everyone is furious as a result
    How to Destroy Angels doesn’t make the second line, but they go on against Beyoncé on the Outdoor theater

Sunday
    The Rolling Stones as the super-headliner who play to a quiet Outdoor/Gobi/Mojave/Sahara
    Blur as the sub-headliner
    Billy Bragg & Wilco: Mermaid Avenue as the ATDI Sunday reunion no-one sees coming
    Foster the People in the Florence + the Machine Outdoor theater spot against Blur
    Armin Van Buuren also against Blur
    Hot Chip leads the Outdoor Theater Sunday dance party like Chromeo and Girl Talk

Other Notables:
    Edward Sharpe, Beach House, Missy Elliot, and Pattie Smith get prime-time Outdoor spots. Brian Jonestown Massacre, Orbital, The Avalanches, and Regina Spektor all make it on the poster for some Mojave highlights. Fun. and Kimbra show up in very small font and wind up playing to packed-to-the-brim Gobi audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolwolf View Post

Friday
    Daft Punk
    as the Friday dance act closer, but they actually get headliner status
    Phoenix in the Black Keys spot, but as a sub-headliner
    Culture Club in the Pulp Friday Reunion spot
    Willie Nelson plays sunset Outdoor Theater
    Operation Ivy as the punk rock reunion
    The XX winds up on the 2nd line and Coachella Stage appearance after a new album with a few hits

Saturday
    Beyoncé
    in the Radiohead spot in a move that shocks the internet (the token Hip Hop / Pop headliner on a Saturday?!?!)
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs as the sub-headlining indie-stalwart (promoting an album that gets released a week before weekend 1)
    The National as the Bon Iver-esque indie darling with a 2013 album people fawn over like crazy, except for the people who think it’s boring and sucks and plan to nap during their set.
    The Knife as the Outdoor theater act which shuts down the main stage, only later at night like Mazzy Star this year
    Skrillex is the last name on the 2nd line and everyone is furious as a result
    How to Destroy Angels doesn’t make the second line, but they go on against Beyoncé on the Outdoor theater

Sunday
    The Rolling Stones as the super-headliner who play to a quiet Outdoor/Gobi/Mojave/Sahara
    Blur as the sub-headliner
    Billy Bragg & Wilco: Mermaid Avenue as the ATDI Sunday reunion no-one sees coming
    Foster the People in the Florence + the Machine Outdoor theater spot against Blur
    Armin Van Buuren also against Blur
    Hot Chip leads the Outdoor Theater Sunday dance party like Chromeo and Girl Talk

Other Notables:
    Edward Sharpe, Beach House, Missy Elliot, and Pattie Smith get prime-time Outdoor spots. Brian Jonestown Massacre, Orbital, The Avalanches, and Regina Spektor all make it on the poster for some Mojave highlights. Fun. and Kimbra show up in very small font and wind up playing to packed-to-the-brim Gobi audiences.
    Yes please to Daft Punk, Phoenix, The XX, YYY's, The National, The Knife, The Rolling Stones, Hot Chip, Edward Sharpe, Beach House, Patti Smith, Orbital, The Avalanches & Regina.

As for Beyonce closing out, please GOD NO this cannot happen, substitute with Outkast please

& add...

Mumford & Sons, Vampire Weekend, Royksopp, Bloc Party, Yeasayer, Animal Collective, Postal Service, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Apparat, Tycho, COM TRUISE, Silversun Pickups, Shabazz Palaces, Nathan Fake & Erol Alkan! + MORE I CAN'T THINK OF

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Chronic

Even I think I'm stetching big time on this technicality.

Farnsy has a point but m&s seem to be the perfect subheadliner for a band like the rolling stones. It's like gv saying your good enough to headline, however you will be honored and humbled by supporting rock legends (akin to the Bon Iver Radiohead situation)

Farnsy has a point but m&s seem to be the perfect subheadliner for a band like the rolling stones. It's like gv saying your good enough to headline, however you will be honored and humbled by supporting rock legends (akin to the Bon Iver Radiohead situation)
    This, except Bon Iver wasn't/isn't big enough to headline. I could see a Mumford & Sons into Pearl Jam combo.
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I highly doubt Reznor would agree to play off Beyonce. You fucking respect Reznor's music.

I would hope GV wouldn't do a repeat of Tiesto Main/The Good The Bad The Queen Outdoor. Great job with that one GV. Bravo.

mumford... are shit... utter fucking shit... saw them lastyear at glasto and they were just laughably bad, playing to an audience who knew 3 sogs and esentially just wanted to should that one line about "i really fucked it up this time"... if they are ever anywhere near a headline slot at coachella then something is seriously wrong.... put them and no doubt as next years headliners and i might vomit

Quote Originally Posted by myfirstcoachella View Post
    mumford... are shit... utter fucking shit... saw them lastyear at glasto and they were just laughably bad, playing to an audience who knew 3 sogs and esentially just wanted to should that one line about "i really fucked it up this time"... if they are ever anywhere near a headline slot at coachella then something is seriously wrong.... put them and no doubt as next years headliners and i might vomit
    Well then I hope you weren't there last year, they easily had one of the biggest crowds of the weekend, dare I say headliner sized? I guess for you, Coachella will be inevitably and possibly already "seriously wrong".

Rolwolf

Mumford and Sons will not headline. GV is probably close to finalizing the headliners (if agreements aren’t in place already). It would be insane to book a band with 1 album, 2 radio hits, & 1 tour under their belt under the blind hope that their upcoming 2nd album will be even more massively successful than the first. Even if their second album exceeds all best case scenarios, they’d hardly be an acceptable headliner. They'd have to play virtually every song in their catalogue just to last a headliner's set.

I doubt they even sub-headline. Why bring them back 2 years later just to promote them from 3rd act on their day to 2nd act? Just wait another album or two and book them as the junior headliner then.

Why bring them back 2 years later just to promote them from 3rd act on their day to 2nd act? Just wait another album or two and book them as the junior headliner then.
    The Black Keys will make any argument like this irrelevant for the rest of the festival's history.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Weak as in quality or popularity? If it's popularity we're talking about, then how is Muse weak while Arcade Fire isn't?
    Haven't been to board in a week but definitely meant weak as in quality, not popularity...I respect their chops, but find their music and sensibility rather silly.

Not that I support Mumford & Sons as a headliner, but I don't know where this idea comes from that no band can headline a festival after only 2 albums. Didn't the Killers headline after only 2 proper albums? (Once again, I'm not supporting them as headliners, just noting it). Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Garbage and Coldlplay come to mind as a few others that would've had festival headliner potential after 2 albums (even if Coachella wasn't around for most of them).

Surprised Ice Cube isnt getting any consideration as 2013s yearly hip hop headliner. He has enough hits to make one hell of show. With that said, it was surprising to see him billed so low in the RTB lineup.

No way Ice Cube could headline. His billing at Rock The Bells is accurate.

Ice Cube headlined the juggalo gathering a couple years ago.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale