Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OUTKAST 2013

Default Re: OUTKAST 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I can't really think of any other Hip Hop Chella headliner Goldenvoice would book
    Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Eminem seems inevitable at some point.
    Outkast
    Lil Wayne had a window before he went to jail, but I think that window has shut
    and while he's hardly my favorite, don't be surprised if Drake is soon receiving Headliner consideration.
    Besides Outkast & Eminem,

I could see them reuniting the Fugees and the Refugee All Stars.

or the Wu-Tang Clan.

maybe Black Star or A Tribe Called Quest, but probably not as headliners.

I could possibly see Tribe as a headliner on a friday... No mention of Ice Cube yet?

Wu-Tang is so dissapointing live.. I think large rap groups don't do well live (except some undergound ones like Living Legends) Wu-Tang is just a mess live, and same thing with Bone Thugs.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I think Fugees is the best bet for 2013 rap headliner (if we get any). OutKast has made it pretty clear that they're doing their own things still. Tribe's definitely used up their reunited excitement. Eminem would be too much of a repeat after this year. The Beastie Boys are a real possibility.
    7/10 - California Saga [Beach Boys kids] -- Grammy Museum
    7/14 - oOoOO/Nguzunguzu -- The Complex?
    7/27 - Psychic Paramount -- The Satellite?
    8/2 - Scuba/Machine Drum -- Los Globos
    8/3-4 - Squarepusher, araabMUZIK, John Talabot -- HARD Summer
    8/13 - Grandaddy -- Fonda Theater?
    9/1-2 - James Blake, Tanlines, John Maus, Liars, Twin Shadow -- FYF Fest?
    9/23 - Animal Collective/Flying Lotus -- Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - Beach House -- The Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by sok186 View Post
    I think Fugees is the best bet for 2013 rap headliner (if we get any). OutKast has made it pretty clear that they're doing their own things still. Tribe's definitely used up their reunited excitement. Eminem would be too much of a repeat after this year. The Beastie Boys are a real possibility.
    So then we're not getting a rap headliner.

Fugees, Wu Tang, and Tribe WOULDN'T be headliners. Wu tang played in the day at Glastonbury last year.

I pray for this everyday. I want to go stupid while listening to B.O.B. live.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    Fugees, Wu Tang, and Tribe WOULDN'T be headliners. Wu tang played in the day at Glastonbury last year.
    But what about Wu-Tang with an ODB hologram?!?!?!?

That doesn't matter because it's Glastonbury. You could say the same thing about Kasaian playing in the Mojave this year. They headline huge festivals overseas because they are just more popular. Same goes for Wu-Tang, they could possibly headline Coachella because they are wayyyyy more popular here in the states, especially on the west coast.

Why would Wu-Tang be more popular on the west coast?

Looks like Andre is going to be incredibly busy for a while.... his Jimi Hendrix film has finally been given the green light.

"Fast-forward to today, and it looks like it's now Andre 3000's project to lose, as IFTN reports exclusively that the rapper/actor is indeed set to star as Jimi Hendrix in a new movie that will begin filming in Ireland later this month, to be titled All Is By My Side, which will follow Hendrix’s years in England, from 1966 to 1967, when he put together his debut album, Are You Experienced."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...roject-is-a-go
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Plus he has to get ready for Coachella 2013 as Outkast will be expected to top the spectacle that Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg from the year before.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Tribe = sub headliners
    Reason being they are a big name in hip-hop community who's reunion would actually mean quite a lot. They would really bring in a crowd.
    Whereas Wu-Tang would be more of a main / outdoor late afternoon set who's currently touring. If they play its cool, but it would not be a surprise.

Other than Outkast, Eminem, or Tribe, I wouldn't say there's much more hip-hop names to be booked. Also, if one of those three were to get booked, (I hope) they would return to putting hip-hop on Friday. Haven't been too big of a fan of Ye and Snoop, Dre & Co. closing out the fest. I mean I love both those acts a whole lot--they're some of my favorites--but they always leave me unsatisfied and wishing a band that better embodies the Coachella spirit end it.

Hip-hop wise I'd love
    SpaceghostPurpp
    Chief Keef
    Black Hippy
    Earlwolf
    someone from the Wu (Ghost and Rae would be amazing, Meth and Red would be cool, RZA and GZA, etc.)
    Lil B, again.

I don't see OutKast doing it, even though that would be the ultimate get. I would love ATCQ but I would be shocked if they reunited for Coachella.
    The Fugees would be cool (if RTB doesn't get them).
    I wouldn't like it if Eminem headlined. I'd rather have 50 cent honestly lol.

Maybe Nas gets a solo set this year.
    I could see The Roots there and they need their token 90s hip-hop underground act.
    GIVE US THREE 6 MAFIA OR JUICY J COACHELLA !!!!!
    Last edited by Sohi23; 05-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohi23 View Post
    I would love ATCQ but I would be shocked if they reunited for Coachella.
    Tribe reunited at RTB a few years ago and it was one of the best hiphop sets ive ever seen.....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

If and when Outkast does do Coachella, there needs to be a Magic City dome somewhere in the polo fields.

I hope every year that this would happen - 2013 fingers crossed!

What, that they don't show up so we make a yearly Outkast wishlist thread?

Outkast would be legendary, but doubtful.

If Outkast plays, I'm hoping it's heavy on their last 3 albums, to be honest. I'm seeing Big Boi this summer at Outside Lands in SF.

Otherwise, I'm wondering if L.L. Cool J. still has a big enough name to headline. He's not the biggest hip-hop legend, but he turned out radio hits for over two decades. My final guess for a rap headliner would be the Fresh Prince. Yeah, he could throw in some Will Smith songs (Willinium, Getting Jiggy Wit It, Miami and M.I.B. were pretty big hits) but I mostly want to hear the old school.

On a smaller stage, I would lose my mind if Kid N' Play performed. They're not doing to much right now anyway.
    --->Living-Silver.com <---

Absolutely no way ll cool j or Will Smith headlines OR even perfoms at Coachella.

Nas, OutKast and Eminem are all on my list of guys id love to see headline next year

Absolutely no way ll cool j or Will Smith headlines OR even perfoms at Coachella.
    Was that even a serious suggestion? LL Cool J headlining at Coachella? I don't even know how to respond to that.

OutKast as others have said is the only solid, undeniable headliner quality hip-hop set for 2013.

Other candidates and my personal opinion for why they wouldn't work:

1. Fugees: this is the closest other candidate, but I don't think they have enough new material to make it work. Dre and Snoop made it work with collabs with Wiz and Eminem and Kendrick and 50 Cent. Fugees haven't done collabs like that and would be performing old shit for an hour. A few songs would still bang but enough for a headliner set? I don't see it personally.

2. ATCQ: same reasoning as above x 1000. Not nearly enough new/mainstream material to headline at a festival like Coachella. They'd be a great act to close down Gobi on Saturday or something.

3. Wu-Tang: same problem as above, and also I just don't really think people are checking for Wu-Tang like that anymore. They were never a great live show and again, I don't think they'd play as a headliner for a festival like Coachella.

4. Nas: headliner material for a festival like RTB. Not mainstream enough to do a set like Dre/Snoop did at Coachella.

5. Eminem: the year after Dre/Snoop? I don't see it. Never been that big an Eminem fan so maybe I'm biased.

The one name I haven't heard mentioned is Wayne. At first take he might not scream Coachella Headliner but I think he could pull it off. He's got enough singles that white girls know (Lolipop, Stuntin' Like my Daddy), he could bring out Drake for a few collabs, Nicki Minaj, as well as BG and Juvie and Mannie Fresh for the old Cash Money feel. If he puts out a couple of more hit singles and has some buzz going early next year I think he could pull it off.

Good analysis. I too could see Wayne with a bunch of his amigos, surprised that hasn't been discussed until now.

It kinda has been. Not discussed really but a few of us have mentioned Wayne with Drake + others.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    So yeah. I dunno. I made this for fun.

Drake (+ The Weeknd + Lil Wayne?)
    Deadmau5 -- Beck -- The Xx

Neil Young and Crazy Horse
    Jack White -- Sigur Ros -- Fiona Apple

The Rolling Stones
    Phoenix -- D'Angelo --Aphex Twin

Probably so off. But it has stuff I like plus stuff I think they might book. who fucking knows
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    Phoenix
    Lil' Wayne & Drake
    Tool

I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by MDallum View Post
    Besides Outkast, I could see them reuniting the Fugees and the Refugee All Stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by SameOldSong View Post
    OutKast as others have said is the only solid, undeniable headliner quality hip-hop set for 2013.

Other candidates and my personal opinion for why they wouldn't work:

1. Fugees: this is the closest other candidate, but I don't think they have enough new material to make it work. Dre and Snoop made it work with collabs with Wiz and Eminem and Kendrick and 50 Cent. Fugees haven't done collabs like that and would be performing old shit for an hour. A few songs would still bang but enough for a headliner set? I don't see it personally.
    That's why I suggested that the Fugees perform with the Refugee Camp All Stars.

- Fugees (Discography)

add
    - Lauryn Hill (selected solo work)
    - Wyclef Jean (selected solo work)
    - Pras (selected solo work)

plus
    - Ziggy Marley
    - John Forté
    - Diamond D

That's enough for a hour + set on the main stage.
    Dream 2013 Coachella Headliners: Pearl Jam / Daft Punk / David Bowie

Coachella: 2010 & 2012 (w1)
    Songkick

• 05/23/12 - the Pharcyde - The Roxy Theater
    • 06/02/12 - the Beach Boys - Hollywood Bowl
    • 06/03/12 - Violens - The Echo
    • 06/06/12 - Destroyer - El Rey Theater
    • 06/07/12 - Kurt Vile - Largo at the Coronet
    • 08/10/12 - Norah Jones - Hollywood Bowl

5 years ago my brothers laughed at my suggestion of Prince as a headliner and told me that there was no way he would ever play there. The next year, he headlined. The festival is changing and it's becoming mainstream.
    --->Living-Silver.com <---

Quote Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
    5 years ago my brothers laughed at my suggestion of Prince as a headliner and told me that there was no way he would ever play there. The next year, he headlined. The festival is changing and it's becoming mainstream.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Prince. and Will Smith.

The Same.

Yea, it might be becoming more mainstream, but not Will Smith level mainstream. Will Smith hasn't made music in years, absolutely no way he'll ever play Coachella.

Dudes, he's trolling.

I kind of think The Fugees would have to be first subheadliner, but am also leaning toward that they couldn't headline.

Also I think that Wayne/Drake would be abysmal, straight out of your local rap station's Summer Jam. Have you guys seen Lil' Wayne live? Train wreck. Jay-Z and Dre/Snoop are consummate professionals at what they do, and Kanye could work on his live presence but there is no denying the spectacle and imagination. Wayne/Drake would be straight up scream into the mic, cut the song early with a bomb drop sound, rock a DJ instead of a band, and ask which side of the crowd is the loudest.

In short, I agree that OutKast and Eminem are what's left. Eminem will not be booked following Dre/Snoop like many have said, he's not The Black Keys. OutKast gets to perform whenever they are ready I imagine, they've gotten up there with Bowie/Daft Punk/Smiths level of "this is the year!" ridiculousness, but it's not happening this year. I think we're at least a couple years away from another hip-hop headliner.