Thread: Anyone surprised how good Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were?

Default Anyone surprised how good Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were?

I didn't have high expectations considering it wasn't Oasis.. but I felt that with Noel in more control, the band was more focused and put on an excellent show.. had me ended up buying his new album yesterday.

If you haven't watched his Coachella interview before his show last week, it's pure lol, one of my favorite interviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgWAutWoee8

Default Re: Anyone surprised how good Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were?

Which week? Week one was pretty boring. We stayed until the end hoping it would pick but until he closed with "Don't Look Back In Anger" it was pretty much a snoozefest for the entire crowd.

Correction: snoozefest for casual fans.

If you liked his album or Oasis, it was a fantastic set.

Anger was the hit, but there were some deep Oasis cuts like "talk tonight" that well suited the sunset-set vibe.

It's hard to enjoy such a short set, though it was still solid. It didn't compare to the Royce Hall show I saw back in November. Noel was much more into it because there wasn't a time limit

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

what i saw I enjoyed. i had to leave early though for Mangum.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

noel>liam x100000000. great songs, but yes, pretty boring if you're not too into the album. would've been better at night too

Big meh.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

I'm going to have to say that the crowds for weekend 1 for a majority of bands were pretty weak. Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Radiohead all seemed to be struggling to get the crowds enthusiastic. I saw Noel in Chicago at the Riv a few weeks ago and the entire place was going off for the entire show. Don't think you can really blame Noell for the weekend 1 show. He was giving it everything he could and the crowds were just dull for a majority of the weekend. Would love to know how weekend 2 responded.
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

Finally seeing Don't Look Back in Anger was one of the best moments of my life.

Saw their week one set and I concur that there was virtually no energy to his set (Talk Tonight and Half the World Away were definite highlights). Same with the Kaiser Chiefs who preceded them (during their set, the lack of energy really seemed to piss off the lead singer). Could imagine there was MORE energy if the temperature was ratcheted up 20 degrees. Noel is also a black hole of charisma, in stupefying opposition to his brother, one of the most charismatic front man in the last couple of decades. I loved his "this is our last song. (cheers). No you're supposed to boo" and after DLBIA, "Thank you Coachella, up next, someone else"
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

HIs set was better than Radiohead. But again, Noel doesn't give a s...it about Coachella, so that's why wasn't into it.

you can type "shit", we're all adults here.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    I'm going to have to say that the crowds for weekend 1 for a majority of bands were pretty weak. Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Radiohead all seemed to be struggling to get the crowds enthusiastic. I saw Noel in Chicago at the Riv a few weeks ago and the entire place was going off for the entire show. Don't think you can really blame Noell for the weekend 1 show. He was giving it everything he could and the crowds were just dull for a majority of the weekend. Would love to know how weekend 2 responded.
    You were at the wrong sets. I thought the crowds were fantastic for a bunch of the shows I saw:

Jeff Mangum, Fitz & the Tantrums, Santigold, Head & the Hear, Beirut, The Rapture, Vaccines, Miike Snow

The guy is used to play to sold out stadiums of 50 000 people +, headlined Glastonbury...and you think he gives an F playing at 6 o clock at coachella??? in indio, where all the convicted felons liive. you think he gives an F playing in front of buffoons???

Quote Originally Posted by ucrmacca View Post
    The guy is used to play to sold out stadiums of 50 000 people +, headlined Glastonbury...and you think he gives an F playing at 6 o clock at coachella??? in indio, where all the convicted felons liive. you think he gives an F playing in front of buffoons???
    Ohhhhh you said buffoons....Now youre gonna get it!

Quote Originally Posted by ucrmacca View Post
    This guy is awesome. Totally awesome.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

The show was definitely meh. Some highlights for sure , but most of the set was rather lifeless.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    The show was definitely meh. Some highlights for sure , but most of the set was rather lifeless.
    Similar to an Oasis show.

Quote Originally Posted by aguadulce View Post
    You were at the wrong sets. I thought the crowds were fantastic for a bunch of the shows I saw:

Jeff Mangum, Fitz & the Tantrums, Santigold, Head & the Hear, Beirut, The Rapture, Vaccines, Miike Snow
    I was at the wrong sets by seeing Pulp, Radiohead, and Arctic Monkeys?

Noel was more polite than I expected. Thought he'd be a bit of dick
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    Noel was more polite than I expected. Thought he'd be a bit of dick
    Wrong brother.

^ What he said:

world's most popular oasis cover band.

Fuck this guy, just watched the interview where he said everyone is fucking dumb.

Although I might agree with that statement a little bit deep down inside, I would never say it in an interview. I try to be optimistic and keep the pessimist deep down inside for the time that I get to say "I told you so!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm the number one Jedi.

^ And you are going to be interviewed why now?

loved when he played dont look back in anger
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

I really haven't given the album my full attention yet, so didn't really know the music, but I will say that the crowd was probably one of the best I've seen They were REALLY into it, and I had a great time. Maybe it was just the people I was surrounded by, but they were loving it.

I was pretty let down with his set list but really enjoyed it. I came to see his band perform their songs not Oasis b-sides. He only had about 6 songs and three were Oasis ?!?!
    Why didnt he play 'Wanna live in a dream' ??? bollocks !