Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OC Register's "100 acts who havenít played Coachella but should"

old school

Default Re: OC Register's "100 acts who havenít played Coachella but should"

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    The problem with Green Day is it's just...Brochella u know?
    Same with Pearl Jam, what if the festival sold most/all of it's before they were confirmed? Both in the same year would probably be overkill. An LA area show the same week would also dilute Brochellas Or PJ hardcore fans not wanting to blow a grand to see a single set.

green day has been asked in the past and declined, not sure that will change in the future.

Haha really? That's good I guess but they might change their mind. I have seen Green Day live twice and they are great but I think they are a terrible fit for Coachella.

As for Pearl Jam I haven't seen them live - I have a couple bootlegs - but I don't think their fans would be as annoying as Green Day's. Let's put it this way, THEY'RE NOT POP PUNK. Anyway it would make sense to have them there next year - 20th anniversary of their polo fields show (as noted in the campground magazine), and they plan to have a new album out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    green day has been asked in the past and declined, not sure that will change in the future.
    Oh good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Same with Pearl Jam, what if the festival sold most/all of it's before they were confirmed? Both in the same year would probably be overkill. An LA area show the same week would also dilute Brochellas Or PJ hardcore fans not wanting to blow a grand to see a single set.
    How is Pearl Jam "bro", you mindless buffoon?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I think he is saying Green Day fans are bros and PJ fans are hardcore. I was going to respond the same way but after reading it again, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    For your health

Pearl Jam's contemporary fan base is in no way bro, but their heyday fanbase was proto-bro. It's a more complicated issue than one might imagine.

Captn, I may start a thread; if I don't, please feel free to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

If you don't get around to it this week, I may start one later on or around the weekend.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Pearl Jam makes me sleepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Like the phrase "sell out", BROS are something I never seen given a concrete definition or a thorough list of which bands that it applies.

So, are we signing the Tears for Fears petition yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Like the phrase "sell out", BROS are something I never seen given a concrete definition or a thorough list of which bands that it applies.
    What is your first language? Seriously--is it Latvian or something?

Elvis Costello? He's a dick, fuck that guy.

Go on.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

As far as classic rock festival headliners, what about Joe Cocker? He totally pwned Woodstock '94.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds are so fucking due.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

My one experience seeing Nick Cave in a festival setting was in '94 when he was part of the traveling Lollapalooza. It was horrific. He went on at like 2:00 in the afternoon in front of a bunch of Cincinnati shitkickers who were there to see Smashing Pumpkins and Beastie Boys. Poor guy.

The reasoning for PJ never having headlined has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard/read.

Absolutely agreed.
    For your health

Wow. Thanks for all the comments. I was wondering about a list like this a couple of weeks ago and between the article and all of these opinions, it's a great buncha stuff to chew on. So glad I posted it!

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    The reasoning for PJ never having headlined has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard/read.
    agreed. possibly a reason why it took Radiohead so long to play again???

and Elvis Costello has played SoCal DURING Coachella the last 2 years, i doubt he'll ever play.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Page three and nobody has mentioned The Jam or Roxy Music?

Both trump most of the 80's stuff on TomAZ's list.
    Last edited by santasutt; 04-23-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Paul Weller has already played and that’s about it for me. Roxy Music expired back in 2006. Watching him shuffle to remake/remodel on his recent olympia tour saddened me.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Television - YES
    I'm not so sure about this, I think I am one of the few on the board, who has seen them live in the last 10 years or so and it was a disaster. They spent what felt like a half an hour tuning their guitars on stage before launching into their set (which was cut short because of the tuning) and then everything sounded out of synch. Even my beloved Marquee Moon. Took my years to be able to listen to their album again.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Some of these suggestions are bringing back a lot of great memories. I can only come up with three new ones.

Robyn Hitchcock: Saw him open for REM on their Green tour and he handled an arena venue surprisingly well.
    Stan Ridgeway (or Wall of Voodoo): Also great back in the day but I haven't really followed him recently.
    The Residents: Would need to be a nighttime set but still would be cool to see them at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Page three and nobody has mentioned The Jam or Roxy Music?

Both trump most of the 80's stuff on TomAZ's list.
    The Jam were great and I guess Foxton and Weller have been amicable lately, so that's conceivable I guess.

Roxy Music - meh unless they bring Eno. but fuck that let's just get Eno to headline!

P-Funk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drive By Truckers, Screaming Females, The Long Black Veils, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drive By Truckers played Coachella in like 2009.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!