Thread: House/Condo Rental Q&A

Default House/Condo Rental Q&A

A few people were talking about house rentals in the 2010 dates thread, and I had a few more questions, but instead of going further off topic, I'm starting a new thread.

While I was looking at the VRBO.com site, I noticed that some of the houses had a huge security deposit, one in particular was $1000. Is that common?

Also, have any of you tried negotiating rates with the owners? How did it work out?

Default Re: House/Condo Rental Q&A

camping

Quote Originally Posted by justinaqui View Post
    While I was looking at the VRBO.com site, I noticed that some of the houses had a huge security deposit, one in particular was $1000. Is that common?
    Yes. When I have looked for 3+ BR weekly rentals, it seems like the deposit ranges from around $400 up to $1000. But most of the houses with deposits under $1000 either aren't available for Coachella, or are already booked up.

Also, have any of you tried negotiating rates with the owners?
    No. Considering that it's a peak weekend where every house in a 20-mile radius gets booked up, I would be surprised if you have much success with negotiation. But by all means, please prove me wrong and then teach me how you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    No. Considering that it's a peak weekend where every house in a 20-mile radius gets booked up, I would be surprised if you have much success with negotiation. But by all means, please prove me wrong and then teach me how you did it.
    I kind of figured that.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    camping
    Absolutely!

we have a friend out there who is considering turning her home into a vacation rental. if there is interest i can check with her and possibly put someone from here into it. it's not huge, but it's got 3 bedrooms, pool, jacuzzi and about a 10 minute drive to the venue heading in the back way. i believe it is technically in la quinta. you may get stuck with me as a roommate, though
    Last edited by JustSteve; 09-18-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Steve, that sounds terrific, and I would definitely be interested. Pretty please. Assuming that I can afford it. I promise not to trash it.

let me try and get in touch with her and see if she is interested and what kind of money she would want.

Yes that deposit request is normal.

I get that you guys all love camping. Next year, try this: After you work all day Thursday, go straight to the airport, sit on a plane for six hours, then drive 2 hours from LA to the desert. You'll get to the camp ground around midnight. It's now 3am to you because you started on the East coast, but everyone else around you is going to stay up until at least 1am (or 4am East coast). Next day, you wake at the time your body says it is time for work, aka 5am, and you just got one hour of sleep before heading to Coachella Friday for 12 hours.

I've done it before and it was awesome, but I'd prefer my vacation be a little more relaxing and a little less exhausting. I know I was the one that brought up price, but I'm not complaining. I just want to have my facts straight.

Justin (I'm assuming that's your name...), I come from Texas. I have the same problem. "What's that, body? You think it's a little before 9 a.m.? Well, you are mistaken. Oh, we're going to stay awake, even though it's only 6:45 a.m. Cali time? Jolly good time." It is much more pleasant to experience this in an air-conditioned home/hotel room than in a sweltering tent. You speak truth.
    Yes, campers. I'm a pussy. And old. And boring. I'm okay with all these things, thanks.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    let me try and get in touch with her and see if she is interested and what kind of money she would want.
    Thanks!

Becca: stay strong! Don't let the campers bring you down. We can have fun too, at our own pace.

Back to the Q&A!
    - I remember a posting mentioning utilites. Are they sometimes not included? Seems silly for a vacation rental.
    - Are there other sites besides VRBO that you have used? How was your expereience?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Same here if possible.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

A few people were talking about house rentals in the 2010 dates thread, and I had a few more questions, but instead of going further off topic, I'm starting a new thread.

Also, have any of you tried negotiating rates with the owners? How did it work out?
    Hi I am an owner that rents for the concerts. $1000 deposit is high but it depends on how many people are staying there. That is how we determine the deposit. Mine sleeps 6-8 and I charge $500 deposit. Also, I would negotiate a bit with my rate. FYI

Our group is only three right now (and has been the last 4 years), so I'm not sure a house will really be cost-effective. A real kitchen for breakfast and lunch, a bike ride to the fest and possibly having a private pool to enjoy in the morning is very appealing though.

we did it with 4 last year...highly suggest.

Our group is only three right now (and has been the last 4 years), so I'm not sure a house will really be cost-effective. A real kitchen for breakfast and lunch, a bike ride to the fest and possibly having a private pool to enjoy in the morning is very appealing though.
    My group is three as well (as of right now) and I thought getting a house wasn't too cost effective either, especially when I was looking up the costs online.

If camping is rough this year (it will be my first time and I highly doubt it), I'm sure I'll learn my lesson.

Lurker

I have a condo reserved for weekend 1. The deposit was 250. I can't make it and am trying to find someone to take over my reservation so I can get my deposit back. If anyone knows someone that may be interested let me know.

If you are 30+, house rental is the way to go. Only drag is driving home after the fest. The pluses are numerous (comfortable bed, showers, being able to cook breakfast, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.