Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Keys

9 3.95%
  • Radiohead

99 43.42%
  • Dr Dre and Snoop

107 46.93%
  • I didn't see any or all of the headliners.

13 5.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Headliner 2012

Default Re: Best Headliner 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    ^ You're right about the crowd reaction for Dre/Snoop, but I felt the energy was completely drained when Dre went off stage and all the guests started coming out - I thought it was billed as Dre & Snoop, not Snoop feat. Dre and Friends.

I always chuckle when I hear this criticism. 99% of Dr. Dre songs have other rappers on them. That set would have been mediocre without guests.

EDIT* Sorry, but when I hear people complain about guest rappers it leads me to believe that the person isn't very familiar with Dr. Dre or the music he creates/produces.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 05-20-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

And Dre knows this.

I never said that there shouldn't have been guest spots in their set - my point is that too often Dre was not even on the stage performing, and that, for me, was a problem. Who the fuck wants to hear Snoop and Wiz Khalifa do a shitty track together when there are so many Dre classics that could have been performed instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Dr. Dre can't carry a headlining spot on his own. The Up in Smoke tour would have been forgettable if it were just him up there 100% of the time.

EDIT* Bottom line, that's how a headlining set is supposed to go. I think the crowd's response was indicative of this. Most fun I've had at a headlining set in a long time.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 05-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.

I guess GV could have billed it as "Dr. Dre and friends" but I thought that kind of went without saying.

Oh I had a ton of fun as well, but you can't tell me that the crowd reaction for a track like "California Love" was the same as it was for "P.I.M.P." or "I Need a Doctor." And again, I never said it should just be Dre performing 100% of the time - bring out all the guests you like, but choose tracks where you have a verse and can perform along with them rather than being absent altogether.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Fair enough. I just think they were more concerned with entertaining the crowd than throwing in rare b-sides that only hardcore Dre fans can appreciate. I'm a big fan of Death Row/West coast rap, so I would have enjoyed some deep cuts... but I wasn't surprised by their track selection (I was very happy they performed "Deep Cover." I thought that was unexpected).

I think my opinion might be in the minority because I saw Dre, Snoop, and friends do a similar show about a decade ago. I knew what to expect.

That's a good point, and I agree that if you're trying to appeal to 70-80k people those kinds of guest spots/tracks are necessary. For the record, I still had a blast and their set was some of the most fun I've had at the main stage.

^ Same here. The crowd singing Nate Dogg's part of "Aint No Fun" was really great. Such a good time. I love how they played with a full band too. I feel like that factor is overlooked, and it really did make the set that much better.

EDIT* I could have done without "Jump Around." I understand why they played it... but meh.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 05-20-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Totally. Hip-hop acts can be really hit or miss live, but there's something about utilizing a live band as opposed to relying on a DJ which makes the performance more enjoyable. The Roots are a prime example of how live instrumentation can work extremely well with hip-hop.

I wanted Xxplosive. BAD. and Let's Get High, but I kinda was expecting not to get that one. Too many white people.

I'm a huge Radiohead fan and I loved their performance and The Black Keys, but I had to give it up to Dre/Snoop. One of the best shows I've ever seen and I'm not a big fan of seeing hip hop live. They delivered on every level.

With that said I think all three of the headliners were great this year. I've never seen all 3 headliners at Coachella before because I usually don't like at least one of them. This year was a great Coachella in general, except for the heat Weekend 2 but that comes with the territory. Hopefully 2013 can deliver some great headliners as well.

Totally. Hip-hop acts can be really hit or miss live, but there's something about utilizing a live band as opposed to relying on a DJ which makes the performance more enjoyable. The Roots are a prime example of how live instrumentation can work extremely well with hip-hop.

Yep. Sadly, Hip-hop has been mostly miss for me live. I have seen quite a few hip-hop acts kill it though (Jurassic 5, Big Boi (with a band), Jay Z, Dilated Peoples, De La Soul, etc.)

^ You're right about the crowd reaction for Dre/Snoop, but I felt the energy was completely drained when Dre went off stage and all the guests started coming out - I thought it was billed as Dre & Snoop, not Snoop feat. Dre and Friends.
    I actually disagree. Around me, some of the biggest crowd reactions were easily for 50 coming on initially, the beginning of In Da Club, and Eminem appearing onstage. Tupac was a little less so, because everybody was a little confused, but I heard the reaction to the hologram at Week 2 was insane.

I agree with everybody who is saying that Dre is more of a collaborator than a solo artist to begin with. There are multiple tracks, including hits, on 2001 where Dre doesn't rap a bar. So to have such a focus on other rappers is kind of par for the course. And I think putting Kendrick Lamar and Wiz onstage was incredibly gracious. Allowing their proteges, young rappers they have worked extensively with respectively, to have a time to shine and share the spotlight in front of 80,000 people.

Agreed on all accounts. Except Tupac, people were going insane around me.

I definitely agree with the passing of the torch to Kendrick and Wiz. Very cool, even though I don't really like Wiz's music that much gotta respect.