Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coachella 2012 Breaks Attendance Record

Default Re: Coachella 2012 Breaks Attendance Record

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I think the scanners went down one day in 2010 and anyone with a kinks color photocopied wristband got waved through the front gates. Plus the year before still had walk-up tickets at the box office.
    I was just talking about this with a friend. It's crazy to me that it was just three years ago that somebody could walk up to the box office and buy a ticket day-of.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurbang View Post
    I think I posted about it earlier, but we parked in Lot 14 all 3 days (coming down Monroe from the freeway seemed to work great!). It never more than a few minutes to get in or out. We also never had any wait at the security checks.
    This. Lot 14 was magic.

I think the acts you see really determine your perception of how crowded the festival is. If the majority of the bands you're seeing are those that everyone else wants to see (M83, Gotye, Afrojack, etc), then you're going to run into massive crowds all weekend. The majority of the acts I saw, however, had fairly smaller crowds. Jeff Mangum, Sean Kuti, Wu Lyf, Explosions, and Wild Beasts to name just a few. It just depends on who you're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Week 2 is more crowded than Week 1. I love Hotchella.
    It looks like from the pictures I've seen posted this weekend.

Crowds for the acts I wanted to see were for the most fairly sparse which was amazing. The most crowded acts I saw that weren't headliners were The Hives, Pulp, and The Rapture and I was able to get close enough to enjoy their set without a problem. I did notice that the lines getting from camping got pretty long as the day went on. I remember always being able to just walk in for 2011 but the searches were also much more lax last year. I also remember there being more entrances opened last year for some reason too, am I wrong? Restroom and food lines were about the same, they cut down on spigots in the refillable water stations which was fucking bull shit in my opinion, made for bigger lines. Such a fucking cruel and cheap ploy to make more money, way to be green Goldenvoice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

At least there was plenty of room at the water refill stations....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    iany more than this and it'll be too much
    this x1000000

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    At least there was plenty of room at the water refill stations....

it was incredible how hit and miss these were. half the time there was 20 people waiting for each faucet. the other half there wasn't anyone waiting.

Day parking wasn't too bad, only if you arrived early. Leaving after you've arrived late meant you were shoved in the back and had to wait for the other closer lot (Lot 14) to fully empty before being allowed out. Happened to us Fri after dropping off the moody sister wanted to call it quits before the evening started.

The crowds didn't seem bad at all this year. The alcohol lines seemed to be a bit of a bummer whenever I wanted a drink, but that could've been my timing.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    it was incredible how hit and miss these were. half the time there was 20 people waiting for each faucet. the other half there wasn't anyone waiting.
    I was done with the water in under a couple minutes all but once. Only one day around 2:30 when it was hot and people were coming thru the front gates ready to fill up their empty bottles.

there are too many people now. and GV of course is too greedy to cut down on attendance numbers despite opening up another weekend. i remember a few years ago you could run to another stage if you wanted to. good luck with that now.
    -n ://redthreat.us

Sahara area was overcrowded when the sun went down. Weather or not that is a good thing depends on your point of view.
    Couldn't get anywhere near M83, but I had a feeling it would be this year's Cut Copy so I wasn't surprised.
    I don't have much to complain about everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    I keep reading about how this year's lines were better than ever. Maybe I timed things better last year or something, because every line to enter and leave was significantly longer this year (except the shuttle lines, which were again outstanding). The tents for the bigger acts seemed more crowded, as well. When we were going to stop in to hear Afrojack, the lines out the side were at least 20 people deep. I would have hated to see what it would have looked like for an actual great electronic act!
    Really...? Modeselektor was amazing with great space to move around... Obviously good electronic acts won't garner as many people as the Afrojacks and Guettas of the world.

And it felt great all day on the fields this year. So many idiots who show up after 5 pm or later which leave the fields nice and empty during the entire day. The only crazy packed sets I saw this year were M83 and Frank Ocean. I steered clear of the Sahara tent completely. For the most part, the fest did not seem too crowded, but of course as the night goes on more and more people show up. Just how it is.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Noob of the Year 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Ever since they alleviated the bottleneck of foot traffic between the front and back of the polo grounds with the food court and additional access to Mojave and Sahara, it has not felt truly crowded to me. Until you're trying to walk out of course. I heard that people close to the front for Dre and Snoop did not get through the exit for at least an hour.
    05-12.2

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Noob of the Year 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ADrunkPoet View Post
    I heard that people close to the front for Dre and Snoop did not get through the exit for at least an hour.
    That's a massive exaggeration. I was close to the front and was sitting in my car--after a stop at the lockers to turn in my key--before 1230.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

I thought it felt more crowded this year than last.

GV buying the property suggests that another expansion is inevitable. I wouldn't mind as long as they added another stage. Sure there's room overall inside the festival, but for me at least, the tents seemed packed at every set I went to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Really...? Modeselektor was amazing with great space to move around... Obviously good electronic acts won't garner as many people as the Afrojacks and Guettas of the world.

And it felt great all day on the fields this year. So many idiots who show up after 5 pm or later which leave the fields nice and empty during the entire day. The only crazy packed sets I saw this year were M83 and Frank Ocean. I steered clear of the Sahara tent completely. For the most part, the fest did not seem too crowded, but of course as the night goes on more and more people show up. Just how it is.
    WKND1, on Friday, felt particularly sparse; lotta people couldn't be bothered to make it out in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by redthreat View Post
    there are too many people now. and GV of course is too greedy to cut down on attendance numbers despite opening up another weekend. i remember a few years ago you could run to another stage if you wanted to. good luck with that now.
    i never had a problem with this, and was able to switch from mainstage (close to the front, on the right) after bon iver to outside stage (middle close to the front, on the left) for miike snow in about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Boob of the Year 2011
    fixed

I noticed that they were great the first day and terrible the last day. I wrote it off as the weather, but I think it could have possibly been related to where the water comes from and when it was filled. The first day the bottles were refilled in about 2 seconds flat, and by the end it took closer to 10 seconds to fill each one (less water pressure).
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

This, except for the one near Gobi, past two I felt like that station always had a long line and the others were hit and miss. I'm not saying that it was a complete failure, the other two were generally fine, it just doesn't make sense that they would want to scale it back. Heaven forbid people weren't crowding around a single refill station at all times and money wasn't being utilized to its fullest.

It didn't seemed to be too bad until Sunday. That shit was packed. I felt like I was struggling through an ocean of people, not even just at the stages but trying to get from one part of the fields to another. (After sunset at least.)

Last year was awesome, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

way more people than last year. The day time acts last year weren't nearly as crowded. Attempted going to breakbot and couldn't even make it in the tent it was so crowded. Last year at that time the sahara was about half full along with every other tent.

Go in from the right of all stages!

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    WKND1, on Friday, felt particularly sparse; lotta people couldn't be bothered to make it out in the cold.

I was told by a shuttle guy that W1 Friday only had about 60% attendance because of the weather.

Yeah, it was definitely noticeable.

That many people? here the hell was everyone? it felt so empty minus a few sets
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Probably in the beer gardens. The one next to the main stage was packed with people hiding from the wind before Jimmy Cliff.