Thread: Weekend Two-ers - Don't Sleep In And Miss Saturday's 11am - 2pm Stretch

Default Weekend Two-ers - Don't Sleep In And Miss Saturday's 11am - 2pm Stretch

I posted this thought already in the recommendations for weekend 2 thread...but it's such a big point, I wanted as many message boarders as possible to see it.

The 11-2 Stretch on Saturday is an absolute gem...especially if your tastes lean towards Garage, Punk and Brit Pop...Half these bands don't have a proper US release yet, but their sets were all highly entertaining...really can't go wrong with any of the options...but especially try to catch some of

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Australian act of veteran session hands with serious, serious chops and a slightly X like feel backing the hottest woman to grace 2012s Coachella stages with a monster, slightly Pat Benatar-ish voice.

Suedehead - Rollicking 70s flavored British Bar Band that sounds just like classic Elvis Costello

Spector - Brit Rock with hilarious, Jarvis Cocker like frontman.

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Earnest, Epic Brit Rock with a Frightened Rabbits/slightly U2 ish vibe

We Are Augustines - Very Earnest, intense trio out of New York, again with A Frightened Rabbits or maybe stripped down Arcade Fire feel.

Vaccines - Excellent garage rock act.

Of the others, Tijuana Panthers were a nice garage-y start, though not quite as good as six listed above, and also heard Dance-popper Dragonette was solid.

But overall my point is that because of the high surprise discovery factor, this was probably my personal favorite three hour stretch of the entire festival...so don't be the classic Coachella attendee who goes so crazy Friday Night they don't make it back to the grounds until the late afternoon/evening hours Saturday....suck it up for Saturday morning, give these acts some love, and then if you need to, catch up on your rest Sunday, which doesn't really hit its stride until First Aid Kit takes the Mojave stage.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 04-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Default Re: Weekend Two-ers - Don't Sleep In And Miss Saturday's 11am - 2pm Stretch

I didn't get U2 out of Jetpacks but yeah their set is definitely worth seeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Default Re: Weekend Two-ers - Don't Sleep In And Miss Saturday's 11am - 2pm Stretch

It'll be too hot to sleep in if you are camping.

I did Keep Shelley in Athens followed by Dragonette.

If there is anyone you shouldn't miss at this time, it's Dragonette. Everyone go see her!
    -Zach

Come get some Dub and Bass with your hang over remedy of choice in the Sahara. We're debuting our new LP @ 11.25. Come thru!

I loved the Tijuana Panthers who were one of the first bands on Saturday. I wouldn't miss them if your already up walking around the fields.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I posted this thought already in the recommendations for weekend 2 thread...but it's such a big point, I wanted as many message boarders as possible to see it.

The 11-2 Stretch on Saturday is an absolute gem...especially if your tastes lean towards Garage, Punk and Brit Pop...Half these bands don't have a proper US release yet, but their sets were all highly entertaining...really can't go wrong with any of the options...but especially try to catch some of

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Australian act of veteran session hands with serious, serious chops and a slightly X like feel backing the hottest woman to grace 2012s Coachella stages with a monster, slightly Pat Benatar-ish voice.

Suedehead - Rollicking 70s flavored British Bar Band that sounds just like classic Elvis Costello

Spector - Brit Rock with hilarious, Jarvis Cocker like frontman.

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Earnest, Epic Brit Rock with a Frightened Rabbits/slightly U2 ish vibe

We Are Augustines - Very Earnest, intense trio out of New York, again with A Frightened Rabbits or maybe stripped down Arcade Fire feel.

Vaccines - Excellent garage rock act.

Of the others, Tijuana Panthers were a nice garage-y start, though not quite as good as six listed above, and also heard Dance-popper Dragonette was solid.

But overall my point is that because of the high surprise discovery factor, this was probably my personal favorite three hour stretch of the entire festival...so don't be the classic Coachella attendee who goes so crazy Friday Night they don't make it back to the grounds until the late afternoon/evening hours Saturday....suck it up for Saturday morning, give these acts some love, and then if you need to, catch up on your rest Sunday, which doesn't really hit its stride until First Aid Kit takes the Mojave stage.
    Thanks for the Plug. I play bass in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. we're not from Australia. We're from Northeast Los Angeles. (Highland Park)

Quote Originally Posted by speediejohn View Post
    Thanks for the Plug. I play bass in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. we're not from Australia. We're from Northeast Los Angeles. (Highland Park)
    My bad. Guess I shouldn't go off information I get from ZIA record clerks.

But, you guys killed it, when's your album coming out...tried to pick up something at ZIA and they said you don't have anything out yet...Am I getting misinformation there as well.

Good luck this weekend...hopefully you get a bigger crowd tomorrow...you guys deserve it...was an awesome way for us to start the day...nothing like a fantastic early set to get Saturday off in a perfect frame of mind.

I don't think anyone is going to sleep in past 11 in triple-digit weather. If they do they should get a medal... and then a shower

Lurker

Suck it up and bite the hair of the dog, wakey bakey, shake off the flakey or better wash it off then roll it all out again.
    Best advice ever, get your fill and elevate the good times for everybody! Have a good 4-20

Quote Originally Posted by speediejohn View Post
    Was so bummed to miss you guys! Andrew Loog Oldham plays you guys all the time on satellite radio.