Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Default Re: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I got my ass grabbed by security coming in one day. It was quite a thrill.
    I got fingers in the taint, a sensation that I'm not quite used to.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    58 this year and have been to every Coachella. I have never felt old-I think the music keeps you young. I am not any more tired than the kids(19,21 and 37 this year) when it is over! If you have fun keep on going til you can't anymore! i hope to take my grandkids when they turn 13!!
    Why wait til they're 13? My 9 year old has been coming since he was 3 and has had a blast every year. There's always a few bands he wants to see and some he discovers during Coachella. If he's bored (can't say he was as excited as I was for God Speed! You Black Emperor) he plays with his DS until the next band. A sign that he has fully engaged in Coachella was that this was the first year he complained about the conflicts after the set times were announced.

Quote Originally Posted by penny_sparkle View Post
    granted i didn't nap AT buzzcocks but i did learn my first coachella lesson: doesn't matter if you've seen them before.

i do not regret charging my phone instead of attending the shins however.

pixiessp: misery, tho i actually really did love PS.
    ivankay: your pix are the best i've seen yet
    I wore my Penny Sparkle tee the other day.
    I am partial to Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    A sign that he has fully engaged in Coachella was that this was the first year he complained about the conflicts after the set times were announced.
    I'm impressed, you're clearly teaching your son well
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

I was there & I'm 36. I went to hear whoever was playing. You can be 70 & listen to Slipknot
    I saw others there who had grey hair. Keep going as long as you can afford it and enjoy the music. Everybody's got their preferences, but some types of music shouldn't be pigeonholed to a specific age group & vice versa. Once the music stops moving you, or you're dead, then you're too old.

If any of you are the dude with gray hair and a baseball cap that was getting down at madness near me, you're awesome.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

i went with my 48 year old dad and we enjoy a lot of the same stuff. he was mostly looking forward to Gotye, Bon Iver and Feist. so he's a cool guy to have around.

Lurker

I'm 33 this was my 3rd coachella I've never felt old. Given I don't look my age and sometime don't act it lol. Yes there are a lot of kids that will ask how old you are but once they know they think it's awesome that our haven't turned into a fuddy duddy?

Another 30+ guy here. I think a lot of the Coachella "vets" probably are older at this point, considering how long it's been going on. I had kind of a Coachella mid-life crisis a couple years ago when I realized I didn't really fit in with high-school crowd in the Sahara anymore. Then I quit caring. Now I just cruise around and see whatever I want to see and I'm happy. Oddly enough, I think this made me fit in everywhere again. I went into the recharge tent to charge my phone a little and one of the girls working there asked me if I was Datsik (they were waiting on him to show up for photos), so I guess I don't LOOK that old yet.

I did see a lot of older folks in the Sahara this year, I thought -- like 25-35ish (which isn't really old but a few years back I swear everyone in there was 14).

I think the only time you don't fit in is if you are trying too hard to be like the kids, or if you're super self-conscious. Or if you're 30+ and creeping on the young girls in bikinis, don't be that guy. If you're there and just having a good time and enjoying the music, it doesn't matter who you are, I think. Although I don't camp anymore, I'm too old for that shit
    06, 08-14

I'm 42 and had a great time. Yes, I was older than most but never felt or was ever made to feel old. The people at Coachella are fucking great and anyone who thinks that the younger generation is filled with a bunch of ADHD-inflicted narcissists are narrow-minded fools. (That observation is subject to change when I read the snark here and on Brooklyn Vegan.)

I have a feeling I'd feel a bit more out of it if I had camped, but that's fine. And my only old-guy negative perspective was wondering why people choose to take shitty photos and videos of the acts rather than simply experiencing it directly. (There wasn't much of that, fortunately.)

Highlights:
    Radiohead
    Gary Clark
    M. Ward
    Jeff Mangum
    St. Vincent
    Tuneyards
    Amon Tobin
    DJ Shadow
    Girl Talk (my favorite surprise)
    Gaslamp Killer

Disappointments:
    Kasabian (overrated Britpop)
    Swedish Fish Mafia (I don't think I'd like them even if I were on E)
    Frank Ocean (I thought he'd be weirder, less contemporary R&B)
    Bon Iver (I like his music, but I kept thinking of Dave Matthews during his set)
    Florence (two years ago she was great, now a second-rate, egocentric Stevie)

I got my ass grabbed by security coming in one day. It was quite a thrill.
    There were a lot of people after your ass this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I firmly believe that most of those kids genuinely like seeing older people at the fests, it lets them know they don't have to stop going because they get older.
    This.

Year 9 for me and I'm 49. You're complaining about 30!?! I started at 40. I enjoy going to all the different stages, even the Sahara. Who cares what some teenager thinks.

This year at the Mojave during Kasabian a girl in her 20's asked to take a photo with me. After she took the photo my buddies, looking very perplexed, asked what was up with that? I told them, "My ego wants to believe a cute girl half my age thinks I'm hot, but reality is she probably didn't expect to see someone 'So Old' having a good time". She probably wanted to show her friends that anyone of any age can have a good time.

Just to add. I enjoy the old and new bands. I saw DEVO with 'X' in Long Beach, New Years Eve 79'-80'. 30 years later, I got to see them again here at Coachella. Can't ever forget these kinds of moments.

Enjoy the time you have here and don't worry about how OLD you are. You sound a bit silly to us OLD people whom still feel young. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by threeve View Post
    1981 here. I think my age just gives me a feeling that spending money to stay in a hotel is justified. Last year some 18 year old from LA told me with a grossed-out look on her face that I didn't look 30. Thanks?
    I graduated from High School in 81' too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Narvon View Post
    I graduated from High School in 81' too!!
    Awww... yeah... that's totally what I meant
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

I started going to Coachella in 2004 when I was in my mid-twenties and have only begrudgingly missed a few festivals since. I guess that the number of nostalgia headliners helps to keep the age range diverse enough that I'm not feeling ancient (yet).

37. Sometimes I felt like an old dude surrounded by kids, but other times I felt like I was totally among my peers. If anything, it seemed like most of the other people watching the Buzzcocks were a few years older than me. I got the impression most older folks were staying offsite and didn't bother showing up until it started cooling off around 5:00. I don't think I ever made it within 50 feet of the Sahara tent.

Okay, so my knees are still killing me from this last weekend, but since I'm 50 and know I can outdance most 20 year olds I'm impressed with myself. For many years I fit the "to insecure to dance" personality so I would just stand there rocking my head. Now that I'm older I quit giving a shit and just go fucking spastic during good music. I went fucking nuts during Modeselektor, Beats Antique, and Radiohead among others. It's the relieving thing about getting old; losing that insecure state of mind. I just walk around knowing people think I'm old, but not giving a shit since I'm aware that unlike the majority of people there I've at seen some of the greatest musical acts in the world (how many of you were at the forum when Led Zeppelin played there?) and have been a fan of music since I first heard the Beatles when I was young (saw them sitting on my Dad's shoulders, but all I remember is screaming girls). Music is ageless and until arthritis takes over I plan on dancing until then.

the Beatles were sitting on your Dad's shoulders?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmith1091 View Post
    37. Sometimes I felt like an old dude surrounded by kids, but other times I felt like I was totally among my peers. If anything, it seemed like most of the other people watching the Buzzcocks were a few years older than me. I got the impression most older folks were staying offsite and didn't bother showing up until it started cooling off around 5:00 I don't think I ever made it within 50 feet of the Sahara tent.
    I was there by noon all 3 days.
    Honestly, I cannot believe all you people. You act like you're ready to lie down and die. Who the fuck cares how old you are. If you continue to
    talk yourselves into thinking you're old, you will be old and I'll be at Coachella while you're taking your heart meds.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Good post by an older guy who went and had a great time.

http://mattydread.wordpress.com/2012...-it-heres-why/

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    Honestly, I cannot believe all you people. You act like you're ready to lie down and die. Who the fuck cares how old you are. If you continue to
    talk yourselves into thinking you're old, you will be old and I'll be at Coachella while you're taking your heart meds.
    heh.

i was in by noon on friday, 2 on saturday, and 2 on sunday, although i did take a long ass drink-with-my-friends break on sunday. i was also camping.

but it would be foolish to not be aware that my body reacts to this differently than it did in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by dave23 View Post
    Good post by an older guy who went and had a great time.

http://mattydread.wordpress.com/2012...-it-heres-why/
    This guy makes good points and yet misses the point entirely. He loves Coachella because it's well run. Hardly a peep about the music or the atmosphere. THIS IS NOT MBA CAMP.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Narvon View Post
    This.

Year 9 for me and I'm 49. You're complaining about 30!?! I started at 40. I enjoy going to all the different stages, even the Sahara. Who cares what some teenager thinks.

This year at the Mojave during Kasabian a girl in her 20's asked to take a photo with me. After she took the photo my buddies, looking very perplexed, asked what was up with that? I told them, "My ego wants to believe a cute girl half my age thinks I'm hot, but reality is she probably didn't expect to see someone 'So Old' having a good time". She probably wanted to show her friends that anyone of any age can have a good time.

Just to add. I enjoy the old and new bands. I saw DEVO with 'X' in Long Beach, New Years Eve 79'-80'. 30 years later, I got to see them again here at Coachella. Can't ever forget these kinds of moments.

Enjoy the time you have here and don't worry about how OLD you are. You sound a bit silly to us OLD people whom still feel young. Ha.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by penny_sparkle View Post
    ivankay: your pix are the best i've seen yet
    i am flattered, but won't believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post

This is why you are one of my favorite people on this board.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

This guy makes good points and yet misses the point entirely. He loves Coachella because it's well run. Hardly a peep about the music or the atmosphere. THIS IS NOT MBA CAMP.
    My favorite part of the festival every year is when I fall backwards off of a picnic table and you guys all catch me with your interlocked arms as a part of a trust-building exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    My favorite part of the festival every year is when I fall backwards off of a picnic table and you guys all catch me with your interlocked arms as a part of a trust-building exercise.
    Yeah. sorry about dropping bob. hopefully she'll recover soon.

Bruises heal, but a breach of trust doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

im older than 30 and i was there! i feel so included.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Lurker

I'm 40 and plan on going till I'm on deaths door. I really don't give a fuck what people think.