Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

Default Re: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

We are old but young at heart with our wonderful Coachella!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

I knew I was seasoned when I realized that I've been listening to DRE for over 24 years....hahahahaha. My Buddy turns to me and says We are old bitches now!!! hahaha--39 this summer... I felt like a twelve year old laughing with my friends this weekend! God willing, I will be running across the polo fields until I drop dead and go to the BIG polo fields in the sky : ) This year was awesome and I am so grateful for every year.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    This is why you are one of my favorite people on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This guy makes good points and yet misses the point entirely. He loves Coachella because it's well run. Hardly a peep about the music or the atmosphere. THIS IS NOT MBA CAMP.
    I believe the post was deliberately focused on that because it's rarely discussed.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

36 and camp every year. I know people who say they feel old but I never have. We'll see if that changes in a decade.

Life's too damn short to worry about what people think!

The first time I went, it was like I had been separated from my tribe at birth and then reunited at Coachella - these were my people! This year I went to both weekends with a crazy three night stay in Vegas in between. 12 straight days of hedonistic fun!

I chilled in the grass for some acts, had the rail for others, danced for hours on end in the Sahara, partied till sunrise almost every night, cooked lots of yummy food for my neighbors, saw LOTS AND LOTS of music, gave away Coachella necklaces that I made for the festival to random strangers and just completely reveled in the vibe.

Got my tickets for 2013 and can not wait - I hope I can go every year until I die.

51 and counting!

I was less tired after 2 Coachellas at 30 years old than I was after my very first "single" day of Coachella when I was 23. Plan on keeping on getting better with age & more Coachellas!
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

I'm 30, and everyone in my extended Coachella family is within a few years of my age (in both directions). The crowd this year did seem a bit young to me at times. Personally, I have tons of energy, and it felt great to scream with pride when Snoop & Dre asked the crowd who had been listening to them for 20 years
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonBandivas View Post
    I want to know more about this festival.
    Weekend One & Weekend Two ftw

in both directions
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    in both directions
    i.e. 25-35
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonBandivas View Post
    I want to know more about this festival.
    Weekend One & Weekend Two ftw

The crowd always gets younger as we get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    He was there last year too. Did he fix the spelling this time?
    Hah, I was going to post that I saw this guy this year. Shirt was sort of defensive, and hence perhaps stems from insecurity, but I thought it was rad.

I'm only 24 and there were times when I felt old in the Sahara...that thing has just fallen apart, even from what it was last year. That being said, I thought it was rad that there were so many people in their 30s/40s/50s (and some even older) at the festival. I think the fact that there is such a wide variety of choices means that some acts are going to skew heavily toward one age group vs. another.

I think the only time I'd roll my eyes at somebody older is if they are trying too hard to be "hip" or desperately creeping on really young girls (read: different from the older guys that can still get any girl they want). But frankly, I don't think I saw that once this year. I think the Coachella crowd (minus choice college age idiots) are pretty sure of themselves and who they are.

My last thought is that I do fear that the increasing "trendiness", for lack of a better word, is going to mean smaller and smaller crowds for some of the marquee reunions. For example, sure Pulp is great, but at 24 they just don't have that nostalgic appeal to me that would mean missing something else I want to see, and I consider myself more open minded to music than many of my 20 something peers that "rage" at Coachella. A festival that skews too young in attendance may mean ridiculously small crowds for some huge gets. I think there is a reason that both Pulp and Mazzy Star had some major stages shut down for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadeleine View Post
    ...Personally, I have tons of energy, and it felt great to scream with pride when Snoop & Dre asked the crowd who had been listening to them for 20 years
    QFT

Lurker

I'm 33, and I would like to extend a HUGE middle finger to anyone who makes me feel like I don't belong... My age only means I've been cooler much longer than you 20 year old fucks
    The Black Keys 5/4/12
    Jane's Addiction, Cake, Fun., Neon Trees, The Naked and Famous, Of Monsters & Men, Silversun Pickups, Garbage, Grouplove 6/2/12
    Outside Lands Music Festival 2011, 2012
    Jack White, Two Door Cinema Club, The Gaslight Anthem, Of Monsters & Men, The Shins, Metric 11/7/12
    Alabama Shakes 3/5/13
    Green Day 4/16/13
    COACHELLA 2013! Weekend 2

My first Coachella was a month after I turned 30 and now 6 years later...

The only year it seemed like the age groups trended in a certain direction was in 2009 when Paul McCartney played... definitely an older crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjammin View Post
    a HUGE middle finger
    jimovercompensatin
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Cheers to that! I'm in my 30's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by troubleINwonderland View Post
    Fuck that. I'm 30...but my heart says i'm 12

where is everyone?

I'm still here. Still going to Coachella every year. Wish I was there this weekend, but will be attending next week instead.

This will be my 11th Coachella('01,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11,'12w k2,'13wk2). Camping since '09. I'm 39yrs, I work hard.....I party insanely!!! Can out drink, out drug intake, out dance any 20something any day, any night, any time. This year I'll be attending with a nice sized group. My buddy(41yrs), his fiance(36yrs), another buddy(38yrs), sister#1(36yrs),sister#2(26yrs)<---baby sis. We are all Coachella vets, except sister#2...it's her 1st. Age ain't nothing but a number.
    Last edited by SEEDYMIG420; 04-13-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Woo wee! I'm 31 and this will be my 7th? Coachella. It only gets better and better.

Lurker

Proud to be 35 at Coachella this year! This will be my third year and I plan to have a blast! Every year seems to bring a young and younger crowd, but who cares I'm just glad to know I'll be prepared to enjoy the music and dance my ass off. Weekend 2 here I come! Heading up early to get a camp spot at the front cause veterans know We've the experience ladies and gents! Lets show these youngins how it's DONE

Lurker

I'm 40 and this will be my third Coachella. Too old? Nope and won't be at 50 either.

I'm 30 and this will be my 12th Coachella. Im taking my little brother as a birthday/christmas gift. He just turned 22! Just thinking he was only 10 when I went to my first Coachella!
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

Quote Originally Posted by Banker by Day View Post
    I'm 40 and this will be my third Coachella. Too old? Nope and won't be at 50 either.
    You're never too old!

I was 23 at my first Coachella in '03. I remember seeing older people and thinking how I hoped I would be that awesome when I got to that age. This Coachella I'll be 33! Those kids gotta remember that if it wasn't for us vets they might not have had a Coachella to go to today.

Quote Originally Posted by kesial3 View Post
    Proud to be 35 at Coachella this year! This will be my third year and I plan to have a blast! Every year seems to bring a young and younger crowd, but who cares I'm just glad to know I'll be prepared to enjoy the music and dance my ass off. Weekend 2 here I come! Heading up early to get a camp spot at the front cause veterans know We've the experience ladies and gents! Lets show these youngins how it's DONE
    All of this! Heading up early Thursday myself, there will be a few of us in our 30's camping. We'll show the kids how to do Coachella the right way!

Just finished my 3rd Coachella at 35, and boy am I feeling it today on this Monday! This will probably be my last one. The Stone Roses and Blur were the only bands that could have made me go again. The last time I went was 2006. And yes...the crowd do seem to be getting younger and younger and there is no shortage of substances that's for sure!

the past 3 years have been thought provoking for me with the crowd age demographics. the first day comes and i see tons of younger people and i start to think to myself, maybe i'm passed this phase, maybe it's time to let this go, and make way for the young bucks. i camp every year, and most of my friends who still go have long since abandoned camping for the condos and hotels. i kinda view camping and the show as one thing - they go together and i can't see myself going to coachella without camping for some reason.

having said that, we had some wasted kid piss on our tent friday night when we were already in it (i could hear the pee on the tent wall) & when i woke up i got bit by these nasty little ants. the porta potties are nasty as hell as usual and the shower situation has devolved every year to the point that i don't even bother with a shower anymore (it seemed to work so much better from '05-08). all this in combination with a companion that reallllly has to be convinced to go camping, & i would say that it pushed me further to the edge than i've ever been at coachella.

but a funny thing happened yesterday on that 3rd day. i had one of those moments with the music where i i realized there is nowhere else i would want to be no matter what. a gradual happiness that made me smile and reflect in a positive way that i won't have at any other concert this year.

i realize that i'm miserable at work today, but i'll be there next year all the same.
    2005-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014