Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Lurker

Default Re: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

I'm 36 and still get down in the Sahara tent. I went Sunday with some friends who were older than me and they were going crazy for Justice. I think a lot of the feeling for music goes back to what you were listening to as a child and teen. Myself, I grew up on shit like Rick James, RFTW and anything Prince related...so when electroclash came along in the mid/late 90's I was hooked. Same thing with disco, I bet you get some 30, 40, 50 year old's to listen to In Flagranti, LCD or David Carretta and you're gonna see them dancing too. I love seeing the young DJ's and bands putting a different spin on the old stuff. You can have young and old enjoying music together.

1973 represent!!! I think that it makes sense that there's a big demographic of early 30's to early 40's represented since music was at a crest during the mid 80's to mid 90's during our formative years. With goth, grunge, hip hop, a re-emergence of punk and the beginnings of EDM emerging as musical genres, I'm almost surprised that there's not more in our age range. I guess it's mortgages, retirement, offspring, and responsibility that have sucked our fellow Gen X'ers and Y'ers out of the scene. Every year I say this is my last one, but every year I return. I'll continue even when my hearing goes, that way I can take advantage of the sign language guys at the main stage.

Yeah, I'm over 30. And I kill as a dancer in the Do-lab, Sahara, where ever. Every year I've gone, I get asked for photo ops. This just fuels my energy more so I feel even younger:-)

When I was actually young, I put off a lot things I wanted to do out of insecurity and worrying about what people would think of me. That's a lot of time wasted. I don't care as much about that now.

It's really strange, when I'm in the Sahara, I actually have youngin's gravitate to me. I guess if I took my sunglasses off, they would probably run away.
    Always wear a helmut

I'm well over 30...in fact i'm just over 40....

This was my 4th year in a row.

I do what i want...and will continue to travel half way around the world to go.

Age means nothing...

Happy Coachelllllllllllla

I am over 40 and our group of ten ranged from 35-50+.

This was the fourth Coachella in a row for my wife and I. Missing Coachella would be like missing Christmas to us.

For the record, I was throwing down in the Sahara for Breakbot and Madeon.

I quite enjoy my age and place in life. I wish I could tell my 18 year-old self how great life would get...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha99 View Post
    I am over 40 and our group of ten ranged from 35-50+.

This was the fourth Coachella in a row for my wife and I. Missing Coachella would be like missing Christmas to us.

For the record, I was throwing down in the Sahara for Breakbot and Madeon.

I quite enjoy my age and place in life. I wish I could tell my 18 year-old self how great life would get...
    Aww, that last sentence makes me happy

the coastal town that they forgot to close down

april, i'm quite surprised this happened to someone your age -- i'm a decade older + experienced it right down to the radiohead. i didn't really start thinking about it until reading some recaps this afternoon so i searched the boards for the topic. it wasn't negativity as much as feeling rather invisible (this was 100x worse in car camping but i suppose that crowd skews younger...)

regardless, like you i had the time of my life + cannot see myself missing one ever again. see you next year

Quote Originally Posted by Saydo View Post
    1973 represent!!! I think that it makes sense that there's a big demographic of early 30's to early 40's represented since music was at a crest during the mid 80's to mid 90's during our formative years. With goth, grunge, hip hop, a re-emergence of punk and the beginnings of EDM emerging as musical genres, I'm almost surprised that there's not more in our age range. I guess it's mortgages, retirement, offspring, and responsibility that have sucked our fellow Gen X'ers and Y'ers out of the scene. Every year I say this is my last one, but every year I return. I'll continue even when my hearing goes, that way I can take advantage of the sign language guys at the main stage.
    people's priorities change.

one of my closest friends in college was all about music - what bands were doing what, etc, etc. He still usually goes to ATP. But he's no longer obsessed with music and hasn't been to coachella since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Tori7 View Post

I danced my ass off at the Sahara tent like the rest of 'em. I did think that people weren't that friendly though - I expected to meet a lot more people, so not sure if that was b/c of the age thing. but at the end of the day, I was there for the music and loved it.
    right on. 39 in july here... totally expected to meet more people as well, perhaps the weekend's only disappointment. delighted to see so many of you coming out of the woodwork tho; like someone said my real age is somewhere around 12.

threeve: your username makes me smile every time i see it.

this experience was a lot less mortifying than being twenty years older than anyone else at cut/copy. i did feel a little guilty taking a catnap instead of catching the buzzcocks again (let's see weekend 2 taking a mid-afternoon tent nap) and james might have been my favourite performance all weekend... endless rain

penny_sparkle, I have to assume you are a Blonde Redhead fan. Please name your favorite CD of theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by penny_sparkle View Post

this experience was a lot less mortifying than being twenty years older than anyone else at cut/copy. i did feel a little guilty taking a catnap instead of catching the buzzcocks again (let's see weekend 2 taking a mid-afternoon tent nap) and james might have been my favourite performance all weekend... endless rain
    You missed one of the best sets! Buzzcocks>napping

april, i'm quite surprised this happened to someone your age -- i'm a decade older + experienced it right down to the radiohead. i didn't really start thinking about it until reading some recaps this afternoon so i searched the boards for the topic. it wasn't negativity as much as feeling rather invisible (this was 100x worse in car camping but i suppose that crowd skews younger...)

regardless, like you i had the time of my life + cannot see myself missing one ever again. see you next year

Invisible is a good word to describe it. I guess it just got to me because I love meeting new people. But the people I did meet and become friends with were great. Sorry your camping experience was so bad. Did you arrive on Thursday by chance? We arrived Friday at noon and, although we had to walk a mile to the event, it was much more tame. We were in row 135 N of lot 10. I think I will arrive on Friday next year just because I think that had a lot to do with the peacefulness/age group around us. Or maybe we just got lucky See you next year!

Re: feeling invisible. We have a 40+ group here on the board. Please feel free to join it, now or before next year, if you want to meet folks. We don't strictly enforce the 40 rule lol. This year was a little disorganized but prior years' meetups have been great and I want to make next year's good as well.

Although, napping through the Buzzcocks is inconceivable.

That group needs to be revived. PF even told us it was a failure. I've already posted my response to napping at Buzzcocks.

being invisible at coachella would be amazing. who the fuck wants to get gawked at by children? i'm not there for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    being invisible at coachella would be amazing. who the fuck wants to get gawked at by children? i'm not there for them.
    Fair enough. Very good point. I was trippin out on receiving no reply in my attempt at starting conversations. But next year, I'll enjoy the peace.

I'm 37 and this was my 8th Coachella... My wife and I noticed a slightly older crowd this year for weekend one. A lot of older fest-goers (?) were at Squeeze's set.

Lurker

I am a 60 year old male my lady is 45. After my 1st Coachella I proclaimed I will come every year until on my death bed. In the past we have camped where I feel you get the best interaction with other people. At our age camping can be brutal with the all day sun and possibility of little or no sleep due to the youngsters all night party. That is ok if that young I would be up most of the night myself. After last year when camping sold out before ticket sales and we ending up finally getting a hotel my lady proclaimed No more camping. We now starting our day later and are able to pace ourselves better to stay till the end of the night. Also entering the festival from day parking less hassle with security. quick fast pat down and in no more extensive car or equipment searches. As far as the youth goes regarding our ages the best friendliest happiest warmest buy you a beer group are anyone that comes from outside the USA. Best overall Australians followed by any UK country and then all other Europeans. We usually recognize all the headliners and then two or three other performers. I listen to KROQ but still do not know any of the performers and I love the discovery of new music. I dance sing smile and have fun. I do not care or worry about my age how I look or dress or lack of knowledge about the music. The experience is incredible.

'11, '12.1 coldchella

I'm 47 - 4th coachella in a row....friends I come down with are all the same age or a bit older and every year we ask "are we too old for this?"....and the answer is fuck NO. Still fun and really, there are acts for everyone who likes any kind of music. Every year I see bands I'd listen to anyway (Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, etc) and discover at least 5-10 new ones I never would have heard of if I wasnt coming to Coachella......not planning on stopping the trip anytime soon!

44 and keeping my streak alive of every one, every day. See you at Radiohead.

just don't melt the next couple days. they have you working stagecoach, too?

58 this year and have been to every Coachella. I have never felt old-I think the music keeps you young. I am not any more tired than the kids(19,21 and 37 this year) when it is over! If you have fun keep on going til you can't anymore! i hope to take my grandkids when they turn 13!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    just don't melt the next couple days. they have you working stagecoach, too?
    Yes. The past 2 days have been HOOOOOOOOT! i'm keeping very hydrated, but think i might need to bust out a sweat band for the head. Sunscreen in the eyes always sucks. Today i won't have that problem because it is a free day for me to do as i please. Yay!

And there is talk of thunder storms for StageCoach. Craziness.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I am a 60 year old male my lady is 45. After my 1st Coachella I proclaimed I will come every year until on my death bed. In the past we have camped where I feel you get the best interaction with other people. At our age camping can be brutal with the all day sun and possibility of little or no sleep due to the youngsters all night party. That is ok if that young I would be up most of the night myself. After last year when camping sold out before ticket sales and we ending up finally getting a hotel my lady proclaimed No more camping. We now starting our day later and are able to pace ourselves better to stay till the end of the night. Also entering the festival from day parking less hassle with security. quick fast pat down and in no more extensive car or equipment searches. As far as the youth goes regarding our ages the best friendliest happiest warmest buy you a beer group are anyone that comes from outside the USA. Best overall Australians followed by any UK country and then all other Europeans. We usually recognize all the headliners and then two or three other performers. I listen to KROQ but still do not know any of the performers and I love the discovery of new music. I dance sing smile and have fun. I do not care or worry about my age how I look or dress or lack of knowledge about the music. The experience is incredible.
    Amen, brother, you said it for all of us! My husband is 42 and I'm 37. Our relationship started with the Grateful Dead, then Phish shows. Going to Coachella is our annual date weekend, where we can enjoy some adult fun, get exposed to new music, and hook up with friends (our age). I don't give a rats ass what the little teeny boppers think of me dancing in the Sahara tent or how I'm dressed. Let's show the kids that the fun doesn't stop as you age, it just gets better. Like you, we have a system that allows us to conserve energy (we ride our bikes from the car to the entrance) and enjoy the entire weekend. See you next year!

The younger set may provide eye-candy and lots of energy. But us older folk bring the cash, the headliners are mostly ours and security treats us better. And a lot of us have enjoyed many Coachella's past that the kids will never understand! ;-)

This was the first year I got harrassed a bit by security. They chose to search me more so than my younger companions.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

I got my ass grabbed by security coming in one day. It was quite a thrill.

granted i didn't nap AT buzzcocks but i did learn my first coachella lesson: doesn't matter if you've seen them before.

i do not regret charging my phone instead of attending the shins however.

pixiessp: misery, tho i actually really did love PS.
    ivankay: your pix are the best i've seen yet