Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Default Re: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
    haha, i feel ya man, im 28 and definitely stayed out of the Sahara (and I've been djing for a decade lol), I guess it's not exactly where I want to be anymore. I do want to camp next year too.
    My husband and I are SO glad we camped. So nice to just walk back (1 mile!) and continue the good times. My husband is not very patient when it comes to existing a crowded parking lot. Camping is the way to go!

In a few weeks I'll be kissing the 30's good-bye. You are as old as you feel & live, not what some kid in the Sahara Tent thinks because of which bands you are there to see. The ladies I'll be with this week are in their 30's too and would've probably shown that kid a thing or two about letting loose at Coachella....
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

1980 here and my group I take of 30 range from 21 to 40.

i'll keep going to the sahara as long as they keep putting the noisia's, the breakbot's, and the sven vath's of the world in there occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    Weekend one was my first time at Coachella, I'm 30. I felt like I may as well have been 70. On Friday night a girl in her twenties asked me who I was excited to see. This was strange because anyone else in the younger crowd who I started conversations with ignored me. When I answered, "radiohead," she said, "Yeah, a lot of people in your age group are really excited about radiohead." Bummed. me. out.

Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella. But if I don't go, then who will show up to Pulp and the like? I feel like Coachella is sending me mixed messages by enticing me with bands "my age group gets excited about." I was warned about the "bros" before I went, but I could not actually fathom the awfulness of them as a whole.

It's not even that I'm jealous of their youth, I'm only 30 which means I don't even know that I'm 30. I'm glad they are young and carefree, but fuuuuu...I am planning on going next year, I had an amazing time. I AM supposed to be there...right?

-April
    I'm 55. If it wasn't for people my age, who could verify that the Buzzcocks play with the same energy they did in the 70s? I've been going since 2005 and I've never had anyone at the concert (although a few on this board) suggest I'm too old. In fact I've had great conversations with kids half my age or less who want to know about the concert scene in the old days. For some reason, though, the band I'm most often asked if I saw is Pink Floyd. Roger Waters' 2008 show not withstanding they are not a group I would have expected continues to resonate with kids under the age of 25.

trakball

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    I've been going since 2005 and I've never had anyone at the concert (although a few on this board) suggest I'm too old.

People talk all kinds of shit behind the safety of their keyboard.

I am 62 and have been attending since 2003. I love the whole experience. I arrive early and stay late.

I am pretty quiet and just enjoy every aspect of the event. It is thrilling and renewing and inspiring.

However, I don't camp! I have braved the Sahara a few times, just out of curiosity.
    For all intensive porpoises presale finally sold out

My group was me 45, wife 48 and friend 52.
    Been many times and always have a blast. Never go in the Sahara though.
    And usually before each set we look around and find someone older and say
    "we are not the oldest ones in here"

Hahahahaha, 1974, and I've never given a fuck about what these sweet summer children say.

I just do my best to try not to be too incredibly condescending to them, then politely excuse myself to speak with someone who actually possesses taste, and, at least, half a brain.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Aside from radiohead,squeeze,buzzcocks and a couple others...the festival was really geared towards youngsters this year. They are targeting the future...I'm into blue grass and classic rock, champagne, wine, beer and food.

There is more to a festival than lasers and untz....check out OSL. I've seen Fogerty, al green, bob weir and Phil Lesh and this year Neil Young and Crazy horse are playing. Cutting edge is usually cutting out somebody....old people.

I go harder than all the kids I know to prove to them that age is just a number and normal is just a setting on your washing machine
    I seriously read that last sentence as, "it's normal to sit on your washing machine."

Guess what? I'm doing my laundry now...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Those of us who've gone every year since 99 are almost all over 30. I like to think that bookings like Pulp, James, and Buzzcocks are thank you gifts for our loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    She was slamming with me, and I weigh about 3x what she does. So I can understand her concern.
    I was not in any way concerned. I was out to knock the crap out of you, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Aside from radiohead,squeeze,buzzcocks and a couple others...the festival was really geared towards youngsters this year. They are targeting the future...I'm into blue grass and classic rock, champagne, wine, beer and food.
    See, though, I disagree. I attended, what, something like 20 sets over the weekend? maybe a few more? Not a single one I didn't like. I had more conflicts than gaps. And when I tried to make a Top 10 Best list this week, i had to expand it to 15. Yes, Radiohead, Squeeze and Buzzcocks were on it, but so were Black Lips, We Were Promised Jetpacks, First Aid Kit, and EMA.

Also, I had a glass of champagne on the polo grounds this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    I was not in any way concerned. I was out to knock the crap out of you, Tom.
    Well I was concerned on your behalf.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    See, though, I disagree. I attended, what, something like 20 sets over the weekend? maybe a few more? Not a single one I didn't like. I had more conflicts than gaps. And when I tried to make a Top 10 Best list this week, i had to expand it to 15. Yes, Radiohead, Squeeze and Buzzcocks were on it, but so were Black Lips, We Were Promised Jetpacks, First Aid Kit, and EMA.

Also, I had a glass of champagne on the polo grounds this year.

Yes you enjoy the music...But the fstival is NOT geared towards attracting you or your age demographic.
    If they were tryin to lure most people your age they would have Betty white as a surprise guest for Devo
    You are a rare diamond in a field of adolescent teenie weenies.

I think they target multiple demographics. I really think they book bands like Squeeze and Buzzcocks and Jimmy Cliff and Madness this year, and X and Devo and Gang of Four and PiL and Leonard Cohen etc etc in prior years, to get guys like me to come.

Hell yeah....They know what they are doing. They know not all older people are slugs which have hung up the dancing shoes.

Did you catch explosions in the sky? don't miss them at OSL

You are a rare diamond in a field of adolescent teenie weenies.
    Said of TomAz and quoted for truth.

We didn't do whippets....so it wasn't me. I did get closed down at 4:30 Sunday morning tho. I was playing down tempo and glitch tho.

I'm 34 and I have been feeling old lately, but I'm gonna keep going to concerts and music festivals until I can't do it anymore.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

1981 here. I think my age just gives me a feeling that spending money to stay in a hotel is justified. Last year some 18 year old from LA told me with a grossed-out look on her face that I didn't look 30. Thanks?
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

I'm 30 but I look like Im 25....so Im straight...

1979 here! That puts me at 32 and I don't think I once felt out of place during the fest. It may have something to do with me not looking quite my age, but I think it has a lot more to do with being comfortable in your own skin. Like everyone says you're only as old as you feel, and as long as you're not trying too hard to be something you're not you should be fine.

I hooked up with a 23 year old at coachella, so I'm pretty sure that makes my average coachella age 29, doesn't it?
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Keep going till u can't go no more.

Use BrokenDoll as inspiration. She's 104.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    Weekend one was my first time at Coachella, I'm 30. I felt like I may as well have been 70. On Friday night a girl in her twenties asked me who I was excited to see. This was strange because anyone else in the younger crowd who I started conversations with ignored me. When I answered, "radiohead," she said, "Yeah, a lot of people in your age group are really excited about radiohead." Bummed. me. out.

Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella. But if I don't go, then who will show up to Pulp and the like? I feel like Coachella is sending me mixed messages by enticing me with bands "my age group gets excited about." I was warned about the "bros" before I went, but I could not actually fathom the awfulness of them as a whole.

It's not even that I'm jealous of their youth, I'm only 30 which means I don't even know that I'm 30. I'm glad they are young and carefree, but fuuuuu...I am planning on going next year, I had an amazing time. I AM supposed to be there...right?

-April
    I turned 31 on the 13 of April i Celebrated a Coachella BDay.....Who Gives a "F" about age....its about Music and Fun.....Fuck what anyone else things....They still live with there moms and Jerk off in a sock.....

Coachcell Next Year....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I hooked up with a 23 year old at coachella, so I'm pretty sure that makes my average coachella age 29, doesn't it?
    Haha! Exactly! I always tell my buddies I'm only as old as the girl I'm dating, but I guess taking the avg is a lot more scientific.

This was my first coachella. I'm 39 - and had a blast. Although there were a lot of high school/uni crowds there, it didn't bother me. At least we know how to pace ourselves - I saw one girl that passed out in the line up to get in on Day 1 - she hadn't even got through security. I saw another girl that had vomitted all over herself.

I danced my ass off at the Sahara tent like the rest of 'em. I did think that people weren't that friendly though - I expected to meet a lot more people, so not sure if that was b/c of the age thing. but at the end of the day, I was there for the music and loved it.

We are well over 30 and I actually saw quite a few older people there. I do have to say that dealing with the sometimes heavy handed security makes us not want to come back next year though. It seems a bit incongruous to pay so much, to travel so far, and then be treated as though I am attempting to do something exceedingly criminal....seriously a bummer! We had one guy take everything out of our bags, check the pockets of the clothing, examine every single thing in the vehicle like we were mad terrorists and of course there was nothing to find to begin with but I pitied the people in his line because it was going to be ugly for someone for sure. I think in the future we will spend our money and time at festivals where security is not such a huge presence as it is at Coachella. Sad to say it but 2012 may have been our last Coachella:-( Love the music, love the people, but I don't think getting manhandled and scrutinized so hard is really very much fun when all I am trying to do is enjoy the music, weather and all the lovely Coachella goer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    We are well over 30 and I actually saw quite a few older people there. I do have to say that dealing with the sometimes heavy handed security makes us not want to come back next year though. It seems a bit incongruous to pay so much, to travel so far, and then be treated as though I am attempting to do something exceedingly criminal....seriously a bummer! We had one guy take everything out of our bags, check the pockets of the clothing, examine every single thing in the vehicle like we were mad terrorists and of course there was nothing to find to begin with but I pitied the people in his line because it was going to be ugly for someone for sure. I think in the future we will spend our money and time at festivals where security is not such a huge presence as it is at Coachella. Sad to say it but 2012 may have been our last Coachella:-( Love the music, love the people, but I don't think getting manhandled and scrutinized so hard is really very much fun when all I am trying to do is enjoy the music, weather and all the lovely Coachella goer's.
    i view the security as basically a one-time annoyance (going into the campground; going into the festival has never been bad for me), so it's well worth the price of admission.