Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Exclamation Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Weekend one was my first time at Coachella, I'm 30. I felt like I may as well have been 70. On Friday night a girl in her twenties asked me who I was excited to see. This was strange because anyone else in the younger crowd who I started conversations with ignored me. When I answered, "radiohead," she said, "Yeah, a lot of people in your age group are really excited about radiohead." Bummed. me. out.

Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella. But if I don't go, then who will show up to Pulp and the like? I feel like Coachella is sending me mixed messages by enticing me with bands "my age group gets excited about." I was warned about the "bros" before I went, but I could not actually fathom the awfulness of them as a whole.

It's not even that I'm jealous of their youth, I'm only 30 which means I don't even know that I'm 30. I'm glad they are young and carefree, but fuuuuu...I am planning on going next year, I had an amazing time. I AM supposed to be there...right?

-April

under the ground...where the bass thumps hard..

Default Re: Where's my 30+ Crowd?

Fuck that. I'm 30...but my heart says i'm 12

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    Weekend one was my first time at Coachella, I'm 30. I felt like I may as well have been 70. On Friday night a girl in her twenties asked me who I was excited to see. This was strange because anyone else in the younger crowd who I started conversations with ignored me. When I answered, "radiohead," she said, "Yeah, a lot of people in your age group are really excited about radiohead." Bummed. me. out.

Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella. But if I don't go, then who will show up to Pulp and the like? I feel like Coachella is sending me mixed messages by enticing me with bands "my age group gets excited about." I was warned about the "bros" before I went, but I could not actually fathom the awfulness of them as a whole.

It's not even that I'm jealous of their youth, I'm only 30 which means I don't even know that I'm 30. I'm glad they are young and carefree, but fuuuuu...I am planning on going next year, I had an amazing time. I AM supposed to be there...right?

-April
    Were you in the Sahara a lot of the time? That crowd skews very young. and dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Were you in the Sahara a lot of the time? That crowd skews very young. and dumb.
    Ha! That is where the girl said that to me about radiohead. That was the only time I was there. When I returned the next night, I just couldn't take the vibe and fled!

I'm 30.

I will break dance , pop lock, liquid, poi, hoop, shuffle and party harder than any tard youngin

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm 30.

I will break dance , pop lock, liquid, poi, hoop, shuffle and party harder than any tard youngin
    That's how I feel too. I think I would have felt better if I told her to fuck off. Ah the regret of an unspoken comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post

-April

LOL..I'm nearer 40. I saw Radiohead for the first time in 1992, Pulp in 1985 and I saw Madness in 1981. To put that in perspective, you weren't even born (nor were most of the crowd) when I saw one of the bands at Coachella.

Stop feeling old, otherwise you will be old.

If you had a good time at Coachella that is all that matters! I am over 30 and I am going this weekend and I going to have a good time. Age is only the number we exist on this earth and if we all knew the number we would die at would we not try to do the things we like to do while we are here?? Sorry to get spiritual but why stop having fun and doing the things you like just because of your age??

I'm 34 and on my 4th Coachella. This is the first time I felt significantly old. I never once went into the Sahara, not that I ever do. But around the campgrounds, it was like being invisible.

I'm 52 and I moshed a bit this year. Minor moshed, anyway. I sometimes have to remind myself I'm in my 50's. Don't be a knucklehead.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

I'm 30.

I guess I'm fortunate to say that I was able to have this attitude until this year. Don't get me wrong, I still feel it, but the crowd sure had me questioning whether I was welcome to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by someone View Post
    I'm 34 and on my 4th Coachella. This is the first time I felt significantly old. I never once went into the Sahara, not that I ever do. But around the campgrounds, it was like being invisible.
    We actually camped among some cool people, but yeah...In passing I would make comments to people like, "Wow, Best pants at Coachella!" <-completely ignored.

But yeah, I will keep going because I had the time of my life, those kids were just SUCH a buzz kill!

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I guess I'm fortunate to say that I was able to have this attitude until this year. Don't get me wrong, I still feel it, but the crowd sure had me questioning whether I was welcome to prove it.
    I'm glad it wasn't just me, but then again, I am bummed that it wasn't just me.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    HAHAHAHA! And I am CURED! I actually watched that last night and didn't absorb it the same way as I did just now.

My shit is as real as it gets! Can we all just meet up under the Polo sign next year and Kenny Powers the Sahara tent?!

I'll be celebrating the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday this july!
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar 11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo 1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego

I'm 32. I've never felt old at Coachella. Look at the artists on stage. The acts I like are around my age or older than I am. If they can do it, I can watch it.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Aside from radiohead,squeeze,buzzcocks and a couple others...the festival was really geared towards youngsters this year. They are targeting the future...I'm into blue grass and classic rock, champagne, wine, beer and food.

There is more to a festival than lasers and untz....check out OSL. I've seen Fogerty, al green, bob weir and Phil Lesh and this year Neil Young and Crazy horse are playing. Cutting edge is usually cutting out somebody....old people.

I go harder than all the kids I know to prove to them that age is just a number and normal is just a setting on your washing machine

I'm 30.

without drugs?
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    Stop feeling old, otherwise you will be old.
    This is the best advice given so far. Also, fuck other people who say anyone is too old for Coachella; if you're enjoying the music and the location, that's all that matters.

If you decide to go next year and it will make you feel more comfortable, use the social groups to help you find a group of people your age that you can hang out with: http://www.coachella.com/forum/group.php

Let's not forget Jarvis Cocker is 49 this year, Thom Yorke is 43

i'm 28 and jealous that outside lands gets stevie wonder this year.

what does that say about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Youngest in my group is 42, oldest is 57. The only times I felt old were in the sahara, or at the end of the night when everything was hurting.
    Luckily there is Vicodin.

There are shit tons of geezers at Coachella.
    Last edited by CrimesceneCookie; 04-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I'm 32 and Captncrzy can confirm I was getting DOWN
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
    without drugs?
    Hell yeah without drugs....I've taken enough man. I'm permed

Aside from radiohead,squeeze,buzzcocks and a couple others...the festival was really geared towards youngsters this year. They are targeting the future...I'm into blue grass and classic rock, champagne, wine, beer and food.

There is more to a festival than lasers and untz....check out OSL. I've seen Fogerty, al green, bob weir and Phil Lesh and this year Neil Young and Crazy horse are playing. Cutting edge is usually cutting out somebody....old people.

I go harder than all the kids I know to prove to them that age is just a number and normal is just a setting on your washing machine
    But, I happen to really like the Untz and Lazers, God dammit...

Me too...love them lasers!!!!!

Those kids are all rookies. I've yet to have some young in school me on anything at a Coachella.
    Most of them don't have any clue wtf they are even doing. They are having fun though and that's what matters

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Youngest in my group is 42, oldest is 57. The only times I felt old were in the sahara, or at the end of the night when everything was hurting.
    Luckily there is Vicodin.

There are shit tons of geezers at Coachella.
    I'm 50 and I think this is exactly right. Except I didn't have any vicodin dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Maybe it's the bands we caught, but I noticed a lot more people my age (47) this year than I have in the past. Lot's of parents taking their 16-17 year old kids. Also, I never go near the Sahara tent.

Walking in one day I overheard a 20 something year old gal say "look at all the older people coming in! It proves music doesn't have an age limit!" She was so excited.

Hot thread. I went last weekend, can't make weekend 2. If any of you old tops go next year and camp, we should camp together and throw down. I have a grill, good supplies, and bring good vibes. I'm 28 and felt old last weekend for some reason. I'd love to chill with some seasoned vets and make some new (old) friends.