Thread: Outside Lands Festival logistics library - USEFUL FOR ALL YEARS

Default Outside Lands Festival logistics library - USEFUL FOR ALL YEARS

Please use this thread to discuss and search for all your logistical needs. Herein, you will find most/all the answers to your questions about hotels, parking, public transportation, restaurants, weather/clothing tips, park layout, insider tips, etc.

Best thing to do is to start by searching these threads, FIRST, using the "search this thread" feature at the top right of the top post.

2008 Thread
    2009 Thread (didn't find anything useful for 2009 - the best threads are from 2010 & 2011 anyway)
    2010 Thread
    2011 Thread

So, go at it and plan to your heart's content. Just please do it in this thread.

ps - I will not be following this thread so if you want me to add any helpful links to this first post, just PM me. See you in the Park.

Additional resources (you will need to update me as these links die/change/etc):

Hotels near GGP

VRBO.com (great resource for vacation rentals...lots of amazing homes/flats found in the City using this site)
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 04-19-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Default Re: Outside Lands Festival logistics library - USEFUL FOR ALL YEARS

Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Anyone know how fast this will sell out or if it ever has? I am gonna go but I'm kinda broke for a few weeks, sucks being a broke ass college kid...

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

If you look on the site there are several tiers of sales. Tomorrow's "advance" sale will undoubtedly sell out very quickly, but they have 2 more sales coming up. The most expensive it gets is $225, still not bad.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Are all of the night shows 21+? I turn 21 in October, and am essentially going to the festival for Sigur Ros and Die Antwoord (you don't have to say anything...). Of course Die Antwoord will do a night show, but I am pissed thinking I may not be able to go even though I paid for the pass and am almost 21. Are they relaxed about letting people in? I don't drink so this whole situation is just bothersome.

I just asked my friend about this situation and got "I can't feel sympathy for wanting to see such horrible music".
    Last edited by ErikFlyingV; 04-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

It depends on the venue, and sometimes, the event itself. Count on any shows at The Independent to be 21+ ONLY at all times.

But, they will say on the venue listing so you will have clarity at the point of purchase. Just expect to be closed out of some shows, but less so for the EDM events.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona89 View Post
    Anyone know how fast this will sell out or if it ever has? I am gonna go but I'm kinda broke for a few weeks, sucks being a broke ass college kid...
    Yes, the early tiers will go quickly, esp this year. There's a couple things you can try:
    1) wait till tix go on sale at The Independent/SF or The Fox/Oakland. There, you won't have to pay such high fees. Having said that, it is not a given that they will sell tickets at those venues again this year. However, they have all other years;
    2) if you are risk-loving, you might want to wait till a week before the event and mine Craigslist. I have *always* found tix at face (and most often, below) as people's plans change and otherwise. For some reason, OSL always has a very steady supply of tickets on the after-market so the likelihood of scoring something is very, very good.

But, we should be able to gauge how this year is going to go pretty early on. Either we, on this board, are representative of the larger market this year (if they sell out tiers quickly) or we are the music nerd outliers once again (if they are slow-moving and move to at-venue sales and/or indiv day sales). We shall see.

FYI, last year, Saturday was the only day that sold out. It was a little odd because that was probably the weakest day musically.

But it made sense once you figured that if someone just wanted to go for a day, Saturday would make sense due to not having to work on Friday or be out late on a Sunday night.

Also, good luck with this thread Drew.

So, where is Neil Young gonna play a tiny after show? And who's getting me in?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Hey, I tried to be nice. The amount of lazy dipshits on this board is astounding.

So, yeah, let's bump and fill the music thread with more talk about which bus to take to get there. Of course, this needs to be discussed each and every year since Golden Gate Park, and the MUNI lines, are always in a different spot year after year.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I've read posts in the official thread to where people in groups have rented a house for the duration of the festival for a reasonable price. I was hoping I could be directed to where I could find these sort of listings. Thanks in advance.

vrbo.com is the best resource. There are tons of great vacation rental places nestled within the neighborhoods here (there are six amazing Victorians that rent out flats just in my neighborhood alone!).

Thanks for the reminder...will include in the first post.

Is VIP worth it?

Depends on what you want to do with it. The VIP area is definitely closer to the main stage at OSL than it is at Coachella and the raised platform is nice on their comparable "Outdoor Theatre". There are less people in your areas, so it's not really crowded until the headliner-types show up. Ccertain food and beverages options are available that aren't open to the public. The bathrooms are nice, but as a guy, PortaJohns are serviceable enough as-is.

I liked it, but it's a very relaxed festival on its own, even in GA.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Why the fuck would you want to stay in a hotel near golden gate park, sunset is fucking awful and there's nothing there.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    Why the fuck would you want to stay in a hotel near golden gate park, sunset is fucking awful and there's nothing there.
    Walking distance is always a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Im staying in a hostel in Laurel Heights, few miles from GG Park. Taking Amtrak to avoid parking, so being close to the fest will be my saving grace. OSL! cant wait!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Definitely.
    I stayed somewhere on Lombard last year. Just trying to get on the Muni was a pain because all the buses were full and bypassed the stop we were at. There was a transfer, but since those buses were full, too, we just ended up walking that extra mile. We missed a couple sets we wanted to see the first day.

This year, I booked a hotel 1.5 miles from the park. Just going to walk it everyday.

I live in the peninsula so I will be driving or taking the caltrain in. Have any of you used the shuttle they offer? I am thinking of parking in the civic center garage and using the shuttle, but only if it is reliable enough. The Judah train has always been a horrific experience and I will not rely on it if there are night shows I need to get to.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

There is a private school close by that lets you park for $10 or $20 for a fundraiser. We parked there in 2010. Last year we rented a house down the street from the festival through VRBO, but the owners were freaks, and showed up everyday. Staying in a hotel this year = no dishes or laundry!

Quote Originally Posted by syrrus101 View Post
    Im staying in a hostel in Laurel Heights, few miles from GG Park. Taking Amtrak to avoid parking, so being close to the fest will be my saving grace. OSL! cant wait!
    Thats a good spot to be, because you can get to the Indy pretty easily if you want to go to a night show there. They usually have some of the good OSL official after party shows.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFlyingV View Post
    Are all of the night shows 21+? I turn 21 in October, and am essentially going to the festival for Sigur Ros and Die Antwoord (you don't have to say anything...). Of course Die Antwoord will do a night show, but I am pissed thinking I may not be able to go even though I paid for the pass and am almost 21. Are they relaxed about letting people in? I don't drink so this whole situation is just bothersome.

I just asked my friend about this situation and got "I can't feel sympathy for wanting to see such horrible music".
    The festival pass does not give you entry into the night shows. They sell tickets specific to each night show.
    6/24 deltron 3030 slim's
    6/29 baths great american music hall
    07/21 david byrne & st vincent fox theater
    07/26 the postal service greek theater
    07/31 run the jewels the independent
    08/09-11 outside lands music festival
    09/19-23 $ymbiosis gathering
    10/19-20 treasure island music festival

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    Because the tenderloin is too classy
    6/24 deltron 3030 slim's
    6/29 baths great american music hall
    07/21 david byrne & st vincent fox theater
    07/26 the postal service greek theater
    07/31 run the jewels the independent
    08/09-11 outside lands music festival
    09/19-23 $ymbiosis gathering
    10/19-20 treasure island music festival

Any word on the shuttle pass experiences? I'm looking into the HYATT house Belmont, mainly to its setup. They have 2bedroom/2bath condos for about $150 a night, but the catch is, it's about 25 miles away. We have a group of eight so far and it's looking like my options are limited for the price. Anyone have any better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    Any word on the shuttle pass experiences? I'm looking into the HYATT house Belmont, mainly to its setup. They have 2bedroom/2bath condos for about $150 a night, but the catch is, it's about 25 miles away. We have a group of eight so far and it's looking like my options are limited for the price. Anyone have any better ideas?
    belmont is a pretty ideal location. the peninsula is a good place to be if you're not staying in the city. the shuttle pass is really legit, i used it all three days last year and it was by far the most convenient way i've gotten into the festival. i haven't used muni but i can already imagine how packed those buses with people going into gg park. the lines move pretty smoothly, there are buses on the regular. maybe every 10 minutes or so. lines can be pretty crazy when you leave the festival after the very last performance but even then, the line still moves rather smoothly because there's at least five to ten buses waiting in a line to load passengers. it'd be easy for you to get to civic center bart station as well... all you'd have to do is take caltrain from belmont to millbrae and then hop on bart from there to civic center. i would say your total travel time would be about an hour until you reached the shuttle stop/station/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFlyingV View Post
    I live in the peninsula so I will be driving or taking the caltrain in. Have any of you used the shuttle they offer? I am thinking of parking in the civic center garage and using the shuttle, but only if it is reliable enough. The Judah train has always been a horrific experience and I will not rely on it if there are night shows I need to get to.

Thanks.
    I found parking on the Richmond side of the park easy as fuck last year, and walked for maybe 20-25 minutes to get to the venue. Drank and smoked on the walk so it was a breeze. I suggest any of you try to do the same. It isnt too hard to find parking in the outer Richmond if you're hitting up the event on the early side.