Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worst Coachella 2012 Band.

Default Re: Worst Coachella 2012 Band.

grouplove blew
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Also, since Cheddar brought it up -- where do you sleep at night?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The Growlers were horrible.

I liked the Growlers set.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Pretty sure Calvin Harris was the biggest disappointment. I was expecting that he would have performed with a live band, which is the type of performance you would expect for a Coachella appearance. Instead, all he did was play the SAME tracks that all the other Sahara DJs did...it was such a bro-love fest in the Sahara this year. Oh well...at least those douches didn't spend time at the other stages.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12.1, '12.1, '13.1

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This year's theme is: prostate milking. Please dress accordingly.

EMA was the absolute worst... it's a band of theater kids who just make music that is neither interesting or desirable. That being said, I didn't watch them so much as be stuck in line trying to pick up my phone and having to hear their whole set broadcast in the Beats by Dre tent (avoid this btw)

*takes a deep breath* All right, I'm going to say this, and there's going to be a fight... Screw the Black Keys

The fact they can put out the two laziest albums from a musical standpoint and still get as much love as they do is ridiculous. Every song from their set was, without exception, nearly identically composed, with maybe a different kick pattern here or a different chord there. And people just eat it up. It's half-assed fake blues, and nobody is willing to call them on their crap. It's frustrating, and it should drive anyone who plays music up the freakin' wall. I don't care how good their early stuff is, they've cashed in and are just going through the motions.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

amon tobin
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    amon tobin
    Disagree, Amon Tobin suffered from being the last show on an absolutely packed day, I left his show early, but it was because I'd been on site for like 11 hours at that point, and I'm fat and out of shape, so my conditioning wasn't up for it. The music was fine, the stage show was pretty rad, his set time was the nut low

I thought EMA was pretty good. Certainly more engaging than when I first saw her open for Wild Beasts last year. Being familiar with material also helped, I guess.
    Pulp.Other Lives.M83.Arctic Monkeys.Amon Tobin.Explosions in the Sky.The Horrors.EMA.The Black Keys.GIRLS.Yuck.WU LYF
    Radiohead.Noel Gallagher.Bon Iver.GY!BE.Feist.The Vaccines.St. Vincent.Jeff Mangum.The Shins.SBTRKT.Kasabian.Keep Shelly in Athens.Destroyer.Kaiser Chiefs
    Wild Beasts.Metronomy.Beirut.Real Estate.Fanfarlo.The Weeknd.Florence+The Machine.The Hives.Gotye.First Aid Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfound View Post
    I thought EMA was pretty good. Certainly more engaging than when I first saw her open for Wild Beasts last year. Being familiar with material also helped, I guess.
    Like I told a fellow stranded-in-line, "I'd like to see what they do when they grow up"

Disagree on Grouplove. That show was pretty fun.

I still don't get the camping all day for Radiohead. Love Radiohead, but you could have
    gone 1 hour before they started and have been very very close. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by aguadulce View Post
    Disagree on Grouplove. That show was pretty fun.
    Agree. Tongue Tied had the crowd hopping.

OP is mad he was called out for being ugly lol

Quote Originally Posted by gkstull View Post
    Like I told a fellow stranded-in-line, "I'd like to see what they do when they grow up"
    Well, her (not their) debut album is universally acclaimed, including top and near-the-top placements on some reputable ATOY lists for 2011, so based on that the sky's the limit, I guess.
    Pulp.Other Lives.M83.Arctic Monkeys.Amon Tobin.Explosions in the Sky.The Horrors.EMA.The Black Keys.GIRLS.Yuck.WU LYF
    Radiohead.Noel Gallagher.Bon Iver.GY!BE.Feist.The Vaccines.St. Vincent.Jeff Mangum.The Shins.SBTRKT.Kasabian.Keep Shelly in Athens.Destroyer.Kaiser Chiefs
    Wild Beasts.Metronomy.Beirut.Real Estate.Fanfarlo.The Weeknd.Florence+The Machine.The Hives.Gotye.First Aid Kit

Anyone who says Mazzy Star was bad are basically confirming that they have bad taste, they were awesome. I saw Yuck and thought they were pretty good as well, I love their guitarist's work. The Growlers were pretty good also but they probably had the most underwhelming performance I saw over the weekend, they didn't sound bad, they just didn't seem to have the energy, the performance felt a little phoned in. Luckily I did my research before the festival so I didn't get stuck seeing any actual BAD bands.

The ragging on EMA is fucking stupid. I know what you'll be when you grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    They were so bad that I was the guy who yelled out to them "I am here to see Radiohead!" in between one of their songs. All the lead "singer" could say was "look at your face". What a "witty talent" he is.
    Sounds like you're bitter about being called out. I'd never really listened to AWOLNATION but I rather enjoyed myself during their set. The crowd seemed pretty into it and reacted positively throughout the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysocal View Post
    Instead, all he did was play the SAME tracks that all the other Sahara DJs did...it was such a bro-love fest in the Sahara this year.
    LOL! That's why I stay away from the mainstream acts and just watch underground dj's drop some funky fresh new tunes. Instead of listening to the same crap these mainstream djs have been playing for the past 4 years and to stay away from all the bros.
    Last edited by Digitalstereo; 04-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.

this thread (especially page 1) makes me a little sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

WALLPAPER was the worst band I saw. Those fucking drums.

Mind you, I avoided AWOLNATION. It was because some kid at the pool where we rent our condo was talking about them. The kid seemed like an idiot, but, perhaps because I'm a bigger idiot, I listened to their album on the way to the festival and thought it sucked. So I avoided them because it was clear they would suck.

Greg Ginn was weird but cool. Not awful.

And pretty much most of the Sahara sucked as well. The Mojave is the new Sahara. Subfocus and Modeselektor were better than almost anything I saw in the Sahara. (I liked Nero and Zedd.)

Amon Tobin was also weird but not awful.
    Coachella is a place beyond conventional geography, a time not measured in hours or minutes, an experience, a state of mind, an attitude, and a holy form of expression. The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is an annual festival put on by Goldenvoice in Indio, CA. Please don't confuse the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The ragging on EMA is fucking stupid. I know what you'll be when you grow up.
    What kind of limp-dick comeback is that? Shoo Fly, Don't bother me...

Anyway, the reason I say they is because of her accompanying band of teenage looking people, who all looked like some mash-up of the characters in The Breakfast Club. It wasn't interesting, it wasn't good, and when I say not good, I mean there was nothing desirable about what they presented.

Besides, what exactly does "critically acclaimed" count for? Hell, people 'in the know' thought the last Spoon and Yeasayer albums were good, and that Justice's Audio Video Disco was a 'bad prog record...'
    Last edited by gkstull; 04-17-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Seriously, WALLPAPER was fucking stupid. I said to my friends, "This is fucking stupid" and then we all left.
    Coachella is a place beyond conventional geography, a time not measured in hours or minutes, an experience, a state of mind, an attitude, and a holy form of expression. The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is an annual festival put on by Goldenvoice in Indio, CA. Please don't confuse the two.

I think for me, personally, SBTRKT was the most disappointing. I like them/him alright, but not to the point of cutting out of Bon Iver to catch their whole set at my friend's urging, which was a bad idea and not worth it whatsoever. It started out bad with a disappointing rendition of my favorite song of theirs, Hold On (just sing the fucking melody properly next time!) and didn't improve from there one bit. Thankfully, I've seen Bon Iver do an incredible full set only a few months ago, otherwise it would have been a disaster of a decision. But then again, but for having seen Bon Iver already recently, there's no fucking way I'd skip any part of that set for SBTRKT.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gkstull View Post
    What kind of limp-dick comeback is that? Shoo Fly, Don't bother me...

Anyway, the reason I say they is because of her accompanying band of teenage looking people, who all looked like some mash-up of the characters in The Breakfast Club. It wasn't interesting, it wasn't good, and when I say not good, I mean there was nothing desirable about what they presented.

Besides, what exactly does "critically acclaimed" count for? Hell, people 'in the know' thought the last Spoon and Yeasayer albums were good, and that Justice was a 'bad prog record...'
    Go on...
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 12 - Black Lips
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Um, that was it really, oh and don't go to the beats by dre booth... it sucks, even if it does have a three tier vibrating circular couch...thing... there's better places to charge your phone.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

any more advice, gkstull?
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 12 - Black Lips
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Now that you mention it, the Onion Rings from the Mangler's Meltdown truck are badass, and only 3 dollars... you should hit those up, you know, if you're going.

A$AP Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    It is not sad to be in the front row. I pick the best stage for me, and stay all day. I would rather watch all of one band and miss another than run around and see half of each, both in the back row. Since I am going both weeks, I will see completely different bands the second week with zero repeats, hopefully in the front row.
    i went back and forth from stage to stage and saw complete sets of plenty of bands, and still managed to make it front row to At the Drive In, which also made me front row for the snoop/dre set...youre just not trying bud

so what youre telling me is you spend $300 for a festival with over 100 bands and you just choose to stick by one stage the whole time??? you either dont really enjoy music or are just completely comfortable with wasting your $$$

and fyi heres the list of all bands i was front row for:

explosions in the sky/outdoor (people were talkin em up all day so i checked em out, plus refused was right after so it was a win-win)
    refused/outdoor (but then i joined the pit as soon as we opened it up)
    arctic monkeys/main stage (not really a big fav of mine but they put on a great show)
    feist/outdoor (first time seeing them, man theyre badass)
    SUB FOCUS/mojave (dope ass set)
    Dear Hunter (sick band, crowd wasnt really big though yet, they were early friday)
    SebastiAn/Sahara (never heard of him til friday, definitely had some fun in there)
    Death Grips/Mojave (sick ass grooves, the drummer was too sick)
    The Rapture/Mojave (met a real cool girl here, i got her # and we met up later that night)
    Zeds Dead/Sahara ( i honestly went cuz of the pulp fiction reference haha, never heard em til that day)
    VISION/sahara (its not NOISIA haha,theres no A, its an upside down V...then flip it) .....at least thats what several people told me haha
    Beats Antique/Mojave (so fucking glad i wandered to this tent at this time, what a sickass groovy band)
    Flux Pavilion/Doctor P/sahara (i had no idea someone was stabbed until today)
    Gotye/mojave (ive only heard that one song before, but these girls i was camping with wanted to check em out and we planned on meeting up to roll some jays)
    At The Drive In/Main stage (ahhhhh!!!!!!! this was my "radiohead",so stoked i got a last minute wristband....refused and atdi were definitely on my top bands to see)
    Dre/Snoop/Eminem/Wiz/50 Cent/Ghost Tupac/Warren G/main stage (i was already up front for ATDI, so i just stayed where i was at...ghost tupac was crazy, but a lil creepy too haha)

so again, you really dont try too hard man
    Last edited by sk8njam; 04-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    But what about at night? When it got cold? Doesn't cold weather make you have to pee?
    He pees on himself
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor