Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 83 of 83

Thread: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

  1. #61

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    I guess I'm gonna have to be the one to say it... The cops have internet too! Maybe here is not the best place to post your "top 5 tips for sneaking shit into coachella"

  2. #62

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Security was very chill for me Weekend 1. We got there very close to 2 am Friday morning, and the car camp check was quick. Security just did a quick look over and let us drive in. For the festival, we went in at 11 am every day and all they did was a light pat down on the side. I had my pockets emptied and had everything in my hands beforehand and got through no problem. Granted I wasn't trying to smuggle any alcohol in. Friends with backpacks were searched, but they just took a quick peek as well.

  3. #63
    old school heyeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,078

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Quote Originally Posted by blizzair View Post
    I guess I'm gonna have to be the one to say it... The cops have internet too! Maybe here is not the best place to post your "top 5 tips for sneaking shit into coachella"
    its been said and i don't think the police give two shits about what is being discussed on this forum. they don't have the resources or the time to conduct thorough searches on everyone. some get caught, some don't.

  4. #64

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Only because I am a nice guy I have to warn everyone on here... Yes, security checks these threads.

    I know this because I worked security last weekend and my company had one of our higher ups continually checking on what people have been posting about. I was suppose to work this weekend but ended up having to deal with personal business instead so I'm mostly here to help both you and my friends get through this process easier. First, and most importantly, try not to get frustrated with us, were usually up around 6 - 7am after only getting a couple hours of sleep, getting on post a couple hours later, and working all day, many of us til past 2am. So getting frustrated with us is only going to be bad for you.

    Also, when it comes to getting search, most of us maintain a certain level of professionalism and that means a full search. If your lucky enough to be one of the few who get through without barely a glance and a once over don't get it in your head that the next time through will be the same way... AND please do not tell the next guard that the guard before you didn't check you like that. Just because one of us got a little tired and passed you through quickly does not mean that's how we do it all the time.

    Now when it comes to things we looks for we mostly check for weapons and illegal items. I wont tell you we all overlook certain things, but depending on who is searching you there's a good chance they will let go things they feel don't need to be taken. IF its a drug that in the amount we feel is beyond personal use (your trying to sell) we will confiscate it, and mostly likely introduce you to one of the nice police officers near by (aka, don't be stupid)... Coming up to a search area please have everything ready and listen to instructions, there's usually someone yelling them out, but if not just pay attention to what most people are doing and prepare for what you know is coming.

    I worked the VIP entrance along with a few other post last weekend, the things about any entrance other than the General Admission one is that I can give you a 99% certainty that you will be search fully. Reason being is One, less people going through those entrances, and two, most likely they have a higher ranking person around watching the posts. Also, if you have a friend with a VIP wrist band and you have a GA band, that DOES NOT give you permission to go through the VIP entrance. So please don't ask... or beg, or event try in anyway.

    With all that said there are many more things I could talk about but this post is already long enough. I hope this helps at least some of you get through checks more prepared and easier. Remember, you work well with us, we will be easy on you and get you though as quick as possible.

    Have fun.

  5. #65
    Member romanticizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Yeah, uh huh. I just told the guard that she looked any model/actress she could vaguely be confused with and gave her some edible body glitter - worked like a charm.

  6. #66
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vegas baby
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Friday was easy just looked into my bag and that was it. Sunday was a different story thy had me open my Chapstick and lipgloss and even my sunblock I was there for about 4 min taking all my shit out. Totally sucked

  7. #67
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,593

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    There was a guy who was busted at noon on Friday (4/20) at the search station from the shuttles. He looked so sad and everyone was staring at him. They should have just let him go.

  8. #68
    old school Cheddar's Cousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    2,684

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    If the damn kids would have everything out of their damn pockets before the pat down, this would all go a lot smooter.

    Also...GET OFF OF MY LAWN!
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

  9. #69
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,593

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    If the damn kids would have everything out of their damn pockets before the pat down, this would all go a lot smooter.

    Also...GET OFF OF MY LAWN!
    I was great meeting you and Cheddar yesterday!

  10. #70
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    11,960

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    stabbing last weekend probably had a little to do with it.

    this just makes you sound chumpy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker_in_a_tree View Post
    Concern of weapons because of hip hop headliners?

  11. #71
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,671

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Radiohead fans would easily stab someone for a chance at grazing their face across Thom Yorke's scruff

  12. #72

    Cool Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker_in_a_tree View Post
    Can you shed some light on the reason for the much more invasive searches (especially at shuttle dropoff)?
    Was it too much drug talk in the forum?
    Concern of weapons because of hip hop headliners?
    Shuttle users not needing designated drivers & increased likelihood of "carrying"?

    I'm not mad, my mistake was my own, but I'm just curious to know if you're in a position to answer.

    Since I didn't work the shuttle drop off post I can only go off my prior experience working positions like that at events like this (tends to be the same reasons). The shuttle drop off probably kept the number of people going through the check point lower then the GA entrance. That gave us more time to check fully. Officially each entrance is suppose to check everyone with the same detail, but reality sets in when you have a few thousand people trying to enter all at once. Go to a different entrance where there's only at most a couple hundred or so people, than that changes the pressure on us getting them through. (And in case your unsure, all post are suppose to check for drugs, weapons, and outside food and drinks other then sealed water bottles)

    Now having worked the VIP entrance I can tell you for sure the reasons there was heavier searches. At any time there was only at most 20 to 30 people trying to get in (highest line count I think was maybe 60 and that only happened a couple times). That allowed us more time to really go through everything we were suppose to... Also, that positions a little more strict because you are entering an area where band members and celebrities are at. We have to make sure nothing harmful gets through to insure their safety (and everyone going through there is treated the same... even celebrities get a full check at that entrance... I even searched and patted down David Hasselhoff). Another big reason is that most of the special entrances / check point had more supervisors and event organizers around them. That keeps everyone working those post a little more on edge with not screwing up.

    What it really all comes down to though is luck of the draw. There may be chances, however small they are, that you will get a quick search. But Mostly you should always expect your going to get a full search and if you think something your bringing in will be confiscated your probably best just leaving it at home (or wherever your staying). However, if you decide to try and sneak something in then you accept that it's your own risk and you cant say I didn't warn you.

    Remember, please have everything out of your pockets and your bags opened and ready to be search by the time you get to the guard. This will allow for a quick and easy process, reducing the wait time for everyone, and allowing for more time to enjoy the event.

  13. #73
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,671

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    So would you say the anal cavity is best for smuggling?

  14. #74
    old school instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    anaheim
    Posts
    2,735

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    I posted this on the other page..


    I had a CRAZY patdown on friday entering the fields.. The Security made us take off our Cell Phone covers.. Had us open our wallets and go through it.. checked any and every little spot they could in backpacks.. It took almost an hour to go through the line.. Probably averaged about 3 minutes per person. They also had other people take of their shoes AND SOCKS!!

    Seemed pretty ridiculous because this was only to get into the venue (not the actual concert) and we had visited our friends at the campsite on Thursday night and brought water and bikes in and we weren't even stopped or checked....

    OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff



  15. #75
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,593

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    I had a weird experience today. The guy checked my camera by taking off the lense cover to check for drugs. Then he called over his supervisor to ask if the camera was acceptable. I said it's a point-n-shoot, non-removeable lense. His supervisor said OK & he told me to put the lense cover back on - & I told him to since he took it off. The supervisor put it on.

    On the pat-down, the guy in front of me said he was enjoying the prostate exam. After I was checked, I asked the guard if I should have my PSA checked. He didn't get it.

  16. #76

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    I almost forgot to tell everyone, another reason the searches are getting more intense is that every day that passes the guards get better at knowing where to look. Especially after viewing the postings here. The down side of getting better at knowing where to look is that it takes longer to look in each other those spots. Such as inside a camera lens, or inside shoes. Sorry, but that's just how it is. Like I said before, just try to be as ready a you can to be searched by the time you get to a guard and it should help reduce the time he or she takes.

  17. #77
    Member hippityhip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Well yesterday I had two completely different experiences with security. My friend had forgotten that he had put about a quarter of greens in a jar in my backpack. I walked up to security to get checked. I open the bag not expecting anything out of the ordinary. Security dude says in a low voice "hey man I can't let you in with all that kush". He allowed me to close up my bag and walk back to the car to put away the goods. So security coming in and out of handicap parking were really chill people and nice.

    Now later in the day yesterday my friends and I went back to the car for a beer break. We made friends with some cool people that parked next to us. Good times were being had and then some young guy walks up and asks if he could hang out for a bit so we said sure. Then some dude that said he works for GV and a security guard come to us. They pull the young dude and cut his wristband off. Apparently he was hiding from security because his group decided to bring a keg and they shared beer with underage drinkers. so then the GV dude smells the jar that we put in the car from the earlier search. He then proceeds to be a complete dick. He confiscates the greens then asks us to open our cooler. We had a bottle of Jack and several 12 packs of beer. Some bottles some not. He makes us hand over everything in glass. Now I know we were in the wrong no doubt but we were being very respectful and didn't argue with him but the way he was talking to us and treating us was bullshit. Total power trip. We even told him we weren't mad at him and that he was only doing his job but he treated us like we were criminals. We offered to drive the bottles and greens off of the property and he wouldn't allow us to. This is the only time I've ever experienced security being so serious and crazy.

    And to the random couple who saw it all go down who gave us a joint without us asking for one, I thank you. Good vibes ever since.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

  18. #78

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    my friend was working security, he told me some crazy stories, PM me if interested i dont want to post it here. sex drugs and power trips,

  19. #79
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    I think by the standards of some cultures, I'm now officially engaged to todays guard at the shuttle search.

    The first two days weren't as <ahem> "invasive"...

  20. #80
    old school frizzlefry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,684

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    The camping entrance was hit and miss but overall the searches were much more strict getting into the festival from the campgrounds. Next year, if the searches are going to be so time consuming, there should be more entrances available, a twenty minute wait to get in is a little excessive. I was lightly groped most times I came in by a good natured security guard who would laugh at my puns about being felt up by a stranger. I simply had too much shit in my pockets on Sunday to hold in my hands and most guards understood and decided that my wallet in my back pocket was simply my wallet...they were right. Can we all agree that we should just PM smuggling tips from now on though?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

  21. #81
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,562

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Radiohead fans would easily stab someone for a chance at grazing their face across Thom Yorke's scruff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    So would you say the anal cavity is best for smuggling?
    I imagine as long as you don't have a cough, or have to sneeze...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJT View Post
    I think by the standards of some cultures, I'm now officially engaged to todays guard at the shuttle search.

    The first two days weren't as <ahem> "invasive"...
    I became Bi-curious during the Saturday search on weekend 1.

  22. #82
    old school Suffacated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Coachella Baby!
    Posts
    2,756

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    • Next year I'm gonna have a little fun with security on the first day. I'll tape a wiener to my leg.
    • dildo.jpgMaterial / Texture

      Material:Ultra realistic 3.0 (UR3)Texture:VeinedSafety features:Anti-bacterial property / Latex free / Phthalates free
    • Design / Shape / Size

      Color:ClearLength:8 1/4"Insertable length:6"Circumference:6 1/2"Diameter:2 1/8"Weight:19 oz

  23. #83
    old school Cheddar's Cousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    2,684

    Default Re: how tight was security at the gates to the festival?

    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I was great meeting you and Cheddar yesterday!
    Yeah. You too. We should maybe hang out sometime...go to Fontana or something.

    Also, the lines ran a lot smoother for me on Saturday and Sunday.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Similar Threads

  1. Security--How tight are they?
    By nmenashe in forum Questions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
  2. TO THE INBRED REDNECK SECURITY GUARD AT THE GATES ON SAT
    By shoveitupmytoolbox in forum Past Experiences
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 05:48 AM
  4. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM
  5. Security at the gates...
    By LACrimes in forum Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 07:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •